Bethesda's Starfield

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Punisher

Re: Bethesda's Starfield

Post by Punisher »

Blackhawk wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 5:54 pm
If AMD mandated that they only support AMD features for sponsorship? Well, if they can make money by pissing off a few customers that will still buy the game? They'll jump all over it.
Doesn't Nvidia have a much larger presence in the gaming world? Enough so that's it's WAY more than a few customers.
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I've learned to be more forgiving of the fact that language changes over time, and what means one thing now may mean that opposite in 25 years. That doesn't mean that it doesn't sometimes make me literally clench my jaw when I see it, but I've learned that the people using incorrectly are, in fact, not incorrect.

And I see that 'lol' is in the Oxford English Dictionary now, too.

*Slowly unclenches jaw*
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Punisher wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 6:46 pm
Blackhawk wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 5:54 pm
If AMD mandated that they only support AMD features for sponsorship? Well, if they can make money by pissing off a few customers that will still buy the game? They'll jump all over it.
Doesn't Nvidia have a much larger presence in the gaming world? Enough so that's it's WAY more than a few customers.
From what I've read, AMD's FSR2 upscaling is supported on Nvidia hardware whereas Nvidia's DLSS2 upscaling is only supported on Nvidia hardware, so getting paid to partner with AMD and only provide FSR2 support in the game doesn't mean that people with Nvidia cards are completely SOL, it just means that they are required to use FSR2 instead of DLSS2, even if DLSS2 would look/perform better, until some modder patches in unofficial DLSS2 support.
Last edited by Max Peck on Tue Jun 27, 2023 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Blackhawk wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 6:49 pm And I see that 'lol' is in the Oxford English Dictionary now, too.
I don't mind that. I do mind when people say lol when they could simply... laugh.

<insert meme="Old man yells at cloud">

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

What irritates me is that Starfield is, for me, the first Fall "I think I need to have this game" game. Which means that I was starting to try to get excited over it. But I'm thinking this is going to be a "wait for the first big sale" game.

Which begs the question :wink: which game do I get excited over now?
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Is Redfall fixed?
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

jztemple2 wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 7:35 pm Which begs the question :wink: which game do I get excited over now?
Enlarge Image

Anyway, to answer your question: Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty.

Now with 12% more flamingos!

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

No matter to me...will be years before I can play it.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

I may have ingested a small morsel of hype...

Enlarge Image

Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Max Peck wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 5:37 pm I wonder if there is some way to enrage the majority of PC gamers who are champing at the bit to play Starfield? Let's find out...

Starfield partners with AMD and oh boy, the internet is not happy
AMD has today announced a partnership with Bethesda and Starfield, arguably the most anticipated game of both 2022 and now 2023. And, in all honesty, it's not great timing for the red team considering it's been taking a lot of heat recently for its perceived blocking of rival upscalers from its sponsored titles.

And therefore today's announcement begs the question as to whether this means there's no hope of DLSS being applied to Starfield outside of enterprising modders once the game releases.

The nixxing of rival implementations is an accusation AMD hasn’t actually denied, but has skirted the question when asked whether blocking the likes of DLSS and XeSS are functions of AMD sponsorship. For its part, Nvidia explicitly stated that it "does not, and will not block, restrict, discourage, or hinder developers from implementing competitor technologies in any way."
Personally, I'm just enraged that PC Gamer has an editor that allows a writer to use "begs the question" when they actually mean "invites the question" although that phrase has probably gone the way of "literally" by now.
You’re literally enraged by that very slight shift (if that) in meaning of a colloquialism? :P
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Max Peck wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 3:32 pm I may have ingested a small morsel of hype...

Enlarge Image
That is awesome!
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 3:38 pm You’re literally enraged by that very slight shift (if that) in meaning of a colloquialism? :P
I'm literally (in the classical sense) not enraged about it, and I've already explained that it was just a joke. It must be an egregiously bad joke if I have to explain that multiple times in a single thread. Or maybe you just tossed out a snarky remark about my snarky remark without bothering to read the rest of the thread.

<insert meme="¿Por qué no los dos?">

I'm curious, though, as to what you believe to be the original meaning of the phrase?

The OG definition means "to ignore a question or issue by assuming it has been answered or settled" and is considered to be a type of logical fallacy. The new-and-improved meaning is "to cause someone to ask a specified question as a reaction or response." That shift in meaning seems a bit more than "slight (if at all)" to me, but hey, what do I know? I'm just a dumb schmuck that can read a dictionary. I've literally (in the classical sense) been kicked off a message forum for being a dumb schmuck that can read a dictionary. It seems to be some sort of moral failing of mine, along with my propensity for sarcasm.

Meanwhile, back on topic, what about that Starfield game. Is it gonna be great or what?

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I wouldn't call it a shift in meaning. It still means exactly that when discussing rhetoric or debate, or when discussing logic. It's more that it's taken on a distinct new meaning outside of those topics. Just like 'bug' took on a new meaning outside of etymology, or catfishing has taken on a new meaning outside of angling, or troll took on a new meaning outside of mythology.

And I'm on the fence with Starfield. Great potential. Terrible company with lazy developers.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Max Peck wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 4:29 pm
Carpet_pissr wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 3:38 pm You’re literally enraged by that very slight shift (if that) in meaning of a colloquialism? :P
I'm literally (in the classical sense) not enraged about it, and I've already explained that it was just a joke. It must be an egregiously bad joke if I have to explain that multiple times in a single thread. Or maybe you just tossed out a snarky remark about my snarky remark without bothering to read the rest of the thread.

<insert meme="¿Por qué no los dos?">

I'm curious, though, as to what you believe to be the original meaning of the phrase?

The OG definition means "to ignore a question or issue by assuming it has been answered or settled" and is considered to be a type of logical fallacy. The new-and-improved meaning is "to cause someone to ask a specified question as a reaction or response." That shift in meaning seems a bit more than "slight (if at all)" to me, but hey, what do I know? I'm just a dumb schmuck that can read a dictionary. I've literally (in the classical sense) been kicked off a message forum for being a dumb schmuck that can read a dictionary. It seems to be some sort of moral failing of mine, along with my propensity for sarcasm.

Meanwhile, back on topic, what about that Starfield game. Is it gonna be great or what?
Interesting. Given your anecdote, you may have a tendency to confuse colloquial speech with more formal definitions then. Or not realizing/accepting that they are different (although dictionaries usually do contains some colloquialisms).

If you are accusing me of snark, guilty as charged. Always. VERY guilty.
Montag

Post by Montag »

The banter in this thread is decimating.
words
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Literally!
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Montag wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 5:33 pm The banter in this thread is decimating.
CALLBACK!

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

At some point we all lost sight of what’s really important. We can be sandwich pirates!

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 5:05 pm And I'm on the fence with Starfield. Great potential. Terrible company with lazy developers.
They’ve been making some of the biggest and most well reviewed games for decades. Are they perfect? Of course not, but they’re hardly what I’d even remotely call a terrible company with lazy developers.

p.s. let’s return in a year and see if you’re playing it. I’m about 99.9 percent certain you will have/will be. :wink:
He won. Period.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

hepcat wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 9:29 pm They’ve been making some of the biggest and most well reviewed games for decades. Are they perfect? Of course not, but they’re hardly what I’d even remotely call a terrible company with lazy developers.

p.s. let’s return in a year and see if you’re playing it. I’m about 99.9 percent certain you will have/will be. :wink:
So am I. I'll absolutely be playing it. I've got two Bethesda games installed right now (New Vegas an FO76.) It will also be the first Bethesda game since Morrowind that I didn't preorder, and that I don't plan to get until I see the reception and reviews. I'm hoping that their Microsoft overlords will whip them into shape, as they really do have some ugly stuff in their reputation after the FO76 debacle, and I don't just mean the game. Still, the fact that I'll be playing it doesn't change my opinion of the company. I don't feel that 'lazy' is inappropriate, nor do I feel that 'terrible' is undeserved, not after the way they've treated their customers.

But you're not the first person to call me out on it. I'll make a post soon (not in this thread) that touches on why I feel that way.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I just popped in to see if there was any news about this game, of which I'm only vaguely aware, but apparently that question has been begged. :wink:

Based on the Fallout games, I would expect Starfield to release as a buggy mess that will bring my five-year-old computer to its knees, and might possibly persuade me to buy a new machine (after a suitable delay for patches).
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

At least one modder has thrown down the gauntlet and promised some degree of DLSS support by the end of the 5-day early access period in the event that the AMD deal means Bethesda only provides support for FSR.

Starfield is promised 'at least DLSS3 support in the Early Access 5 days' by pro modder PureDark
While we wait for official word from either AMD or Bethesda on whether Starfield is going to be open to benefiting from DLSS support, professional modder, PureDark, has seemingly announced their intention to get it into the game before it's even fully released.

With AMD announcing its partnership with Bethesda for Starfield there has been quite the reaction from the gaming community over a perceived block on the developers adding in DLSS support for Nvidia users. The suggestion is that part of the partnership requires the exclusive use of AMD's own FidelityFX Super Resolution (FSR), blocking the likes of DLSS and Intel's XeSS from being added to partner games.

This is something AMD has avoided questioning about—and most recently when we've specifically asked for comment in the last day—so we still don't know whether that's definitely a thing or not. For its part Nvidia has recommended we ask the devs about DLSS, and we're still awaiting a response from Bethesda.

PureDark, however, has come out and explicitly stated that they'll have at least DLSS 3 support added during the pre-purchase reward early access period.

"Don't you worry, you've got me," they say, "I'll manage to get at least DLSS3 support in the Early Access 5 days, then slowly adding in an independent DLSS2 implementation depending on the situation (just like what I did with Jedi Survivor)."

You might remember PureDark from the various mods they've created for Skyrim, Elden Ring, The Last of Us, and Fallout 4, but it's arguably the Jedi: Survivor DLSS mod that garnered the most attention. By jamming DLSS 3 and Frame Generation support where it wasn't wanted, PureDark was able to hugely increase performance for anyone with supporting GPUs.

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

You guys getting the watch? Im hoping too but doubt I can because of things. It looks nice and Ive always wanted a smart watch but paying so much for one I didn't like the styles of didn't seem good.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Nope. It was too expensive, then it was sold out. One of the reasons I bought the custom controller is that it gives a bit of that special edition feel without being a complete waste of money. I'll probably use the controller at least a bit, but there is a 0% chance I'd ever wear that watch.

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 8:04 pm You guys getting the watch? Im hoping too but doubt I can because of things. It looks nice and Ive always wanted a smart watch but paying so much for one I didn't like the styles of didn't seem good.
From the company whose last $200 collectors editions gave canvas bags that they secretly switched with cheap plastic bags (then tried to solve it with $5 of credit to the in-game store, ending up with a Federal class action suit before they made good), helmets that were so cheap as to be unfit for display, and then sold an $80 Nuka Dark rum bottle that turned out to be a cheap plastic shell?

Am I buying their special watch?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

You’re saving your money for a 40 dollar in game archer’s hat in Diablo 4, aren’t you?
He won. Period.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I see collectors editions of games online for $15 and $25 more and all they add are some cosmetics like a hat or a dye or something. I cant help but laugh and move on. Collectors Editions to me have to be physical and add trinkets to my useless trinket collection to get me to buy them. I want something to show that I threw my money away when someone might never come over.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I think the last time I purchased a collector’s edition of a game was Pong.
He won. Period.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

The only ultra-fancy CE that I recall buying at retail was The Old Republic, which came with a statue of Darth Malgus. When I picked it up at EB, I mentioned to the girl working the cash that I felt kind of nerdy for buying the CE. She pointed to herself and said something like "I'm dressed up like Princess Leia, and you're the one that feels like a nerd?"

Punisher

Post by Punisher »

I've picked up a few CEs over time usually for the various physical props. I have a Batarang, a Halo helmet, Darth Malgus, and a Battlefield 1 statue among other things. The BF1 statue was bought on clearance separately for about $20 at Gamestop. I'm sure I picked up other things the same way.
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I want to say my last CE was... Fallout 3?
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

Diablo 3 was mine. Got a poster that is laminated and still hangs in my classroom so all my students know what kind of dork I am.

It might also be a hint that I'm the D&D sponsor for the school, but just to be safe...
"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Just watched the second video that's on the Steam store page...what struck me was that every single shot of one of the devs playing the game (and there were about 6 different people shown, if not more?), were using an Xbox controller to play. Hmmm. I wonder if that was the case with Skyrim as well? (controller being the preferred...controller by the devs themselves rather than KB+mouse)
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

It was always my impression that the UI for Skyrim was designed for consoles rather than PC.

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Yeah, the UI felt very much optimized for a controller but I never found the actual game play to work with one. The wrinkle for Starfield is that I suspect walking around and combat is going to feel great KB/M but flying through space and mining for sandwiches is going to feel better with a controller. Hopefully the game is set up to deal with easy swapping between the two while both are attached.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

I guess my point is that I should really try using a controller again. I'm obviously missing something that the devs themselves see (and tons of if not most on here as well).
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 1:53 pm I guess my point is that I should really try using a controller again. I'm obviously missing something that the devs themselves see (and tons of if not most on here as well).
Honestly, it is that the developers consider consoles their primary market and the PC market as secondary. They design for the primary and then implement what's required for the secondary. A lot of the problems that people have had with the controls in every Bethesda game since Oblivion, right up through Fallout 76, is that Bethesda doesn't program PC controls. They program console controls, then map the keyboard to the controller inputs (IE - when you push 'W' to go forward, the game is being told that you're pushing on the stick. When you hit 'Tab' to go back, the game is being told it is the A button being pressed.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Smoove_B wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 12:57 pm and mining for sandwiches
I’m naming my character The Earl of Sandwich.

….or Sloppy Joe.

Not sure yet.
He won. Period.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Did I miss it or did they fail to say you could name each of your ships?

I want to be Captain Scruffy of the USS Buster...me & my dog. Or whatever ship initials they use before the ship name.

And where are dogs or pets? I saw nothing in that video. All that depth and detail and no pets??
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 9:38 pm And where are dogs or pets? I saw nothing in that video. All that depth and detail and no pets??
Was there anything ever said about pets? I don't recall any mention of it. If they did, it would likely be something cosmetic that stays on the ship.

Unless Bethesda realizes that they can sell $11.95 dog armor...