Bethesda's Starfield

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Blackhawk

Re: Bethesda's Starfield

Post by Blackhawk »

I'm critical, but I'm very interested. At the same time, of the last three Bethesda games I bought, I ended up with duds three times (Fallout 4 VR, Skyrim VR, Fallout 76.) That isn't to say that they weren't fixable - I know that FO76 has improved considerably, and FO4 and Skyrim VR are fixable via mods, but none have been playable (at full promised quality) on release. So, I'll be painfully tempted, but I'm planning on waiting for a few reviews first. Including a realistic look at performance on various systems.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Fallout 5 is after ES6.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
naednek

Post by naednek »

Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 4:30 pm Image
DONT SAY HIS NAME THREE TIMES
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

He's pretty mellow these days.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

I'm in.
"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins
Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

They can fill the game with 1000 planets but can only fill the 1000 planets with 4 main cities?

Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

"1000 planets" is to Starfield as "You see that mountain? You can climb it." is to Skyrim.

They've been pretty up front about the fact that a lot of those planets are going to be iceballs with no particular reason for you to go to other than things like resource gathering. Nonetheless, I look forward to the mod that turns one of them into Tamriel.

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I saw this article on PC Gamer, thought folks might enjoy it: If Starfield takes one thing from Elite Dangerous, I hope it's bus driving
After seven years away, I recently got the urge to start playing space sim Elite Dangerous again, and I attribute that sudden urge to Starfield. After the gameplay trailer dropped I just wanted to fly a spaceship. Any spaceship. With speculation that Starfield will launch in March of 2023, I've still got potentially nine months before I can fly a customizable ship in Bethesda's space RPG, and that's just a little too long for me to wait. So, I hopped back into Elite and did what any adventurer would do with an entire Milky Way Galaxy to explore. I became a bus driver.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Starfield will cost $70 as Microsoft raises its base price for new games in 2023
Following the lead of Sony and others, Activision brought the $70 game to Steam this year with Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2. Next year, Microsoft will follow suit, too: The company told IGN that beginning in 2023, the standard price of its new first-party games, including Starfield and Redfall, will be increased from $60 to $70.

"This price reflects the content, scale, and technical complexity of these titles," a Microsoft spokesperson told IGN. "As with all games developed by our teams at Xbox, they will also be available with Game Pass the same day they launch."

That's US pricing, of course. Regional pricing can differ—Modern Warfare 2, for instance, currently costs $90 in Canada—but Microsoft did not comment on how the price increase would be reflected in other countries. In a separate statement sent to PC Gamer, Microsoft confirmed that the price increase will apply "across console and PC storefronts."
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

jztemple2 wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 7:16 pm Starfield will cost $70 as Microsoft raises its base price for new games in 2023
Following the lead of Sony and others, Activision brought the $70 game to Steam this year with Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2. Next year, Microsoft will follow suit, too: The company told IGN that beginning in 2023, the standard price of its new first-party games, including Starfield and Redfall, will be increased from $60 to $70.

"This price reflects the content, scale, and technical complexity of these titles," a Microsoft spokesperson told IGN. "As with all games developed by our teams at Xbox, they will also be available with Game Pass the same day they launch."

That's US pricing, of course. Regional pricing can differ—Modern Warfare 2, for instance, currently costs $90 in Canada—but Microsoft did not comment on how the price increase would be reflected in other countries. In a separate statement sent to PC Gamer, Microsoft confirmed that the price increase will apply "across console and PC storefronts."
/shrug. When I started buying games in the 80's, the average price was $50. Adjusted for inflation, that's $135 today based on some internet calculator.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

gbasden wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 7:37 pm
jztemple2 wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 7:16 pm Starfield will cost $70 as Microsoft raises its base price for new games in 2023

/shrug. When I started buying games in the 80's, the average price was $50. Adjusted for inflation, that's $135 today based on some internet calculator.
I remember that as well. And $50 seemed really outrageous at the time. Now it's what I spend to fill my gas tank :roll:
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I’ve paid $70 for the last two PS5 games (God of War and Midnight Suns). I know it’s not a huge increase, but a $75 final price tag definitely gives me more impulse purchase pause than $65.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
paulbaxter

Post by paulbaxter »

I just want to know what's the correct strategy to get them to get moving on Elder Scrolls? Is it to NOT purchase this one? Is it to buy it but give it a bad review?
No sig, must scream, etc.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

paulbaxter wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 2:24 pm I just want to know what's the correct strategy to get them to get moving on Elder Scrolls? Is it to NOT purchase this one? Is it to buy it but give it a bad review?
I'm not sure what you mean. How would punishing them for Starfield help Elder Scrolls? And why would you leave a bad review for a game for any reason but the game being bad? That's the 4Chan review-bombing mentality.

Both Elder Scrolls 6 and Fallout 5 are under way (in that order.) Their business model has generally been to release games in 'generations', and to milk them with a dozen 'editions' in between. Each generation involves a new upgrade to the engine..Seriously, Skyrim is, at it's heart, running on the same engine as Morrowind, which was running on a variant of the engine that Dark Age of Camelot used. They just keep overhauling the engine rather than making a new one from scratch (something that's long overdue, and is responsible for many of the... quirks the games have.) They're starting the next generation with Starfield, which should actually benefit Elder Scrolls 6 - the first game with a new version of an engine tends to have lots of bugs to work out. The public beta testing of Starfield on release will result in ES6 being better.

If you want to (maybe) help Elder Scrolls, buy the game, play it, and give them solid feedback. Or wait and buy it after the break-in period to tell them that their habit of releasing broken games isn't OK. Neither will 'get them moving' on ES6, but they may make it a better game.
paulbaxter

Post by paulbaxter »

I wasn't being completely serious there. I just figure if Starfield is TOO successful, they might spend more time and resources milking it.
No sig, must scream, etc.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

paulbaxter wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:13 pm I wasn't being completely serious there. I just figure if Starfield is TOO successful, they might spend more time and resources milking it.
It's Bethesda. They'll do that regardless.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Looks like it is on the way, can’t wait!

Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Yeah, "1st half of 2023" is about a quarter of a year sooner than I was expecting. Just to be safe, I'm going to continue expecting that...

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Did they give a date for when the patch that makes it playable comes out?

I mean, it is Bethesda.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

XBox Series X|S? So they're actually not making that backwards compatible with the XBox One? About time someone's starting to do that - too many games are still backwards compatible with the previous generation.
Hodor.
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

I hope it is compatible with an older PC! I love both Elder Scrolls and Fallout but I'm pretty pumped for seeing a new IP in the Bethesda mold. On the other hand my PC is 6 years old now and unlikely to be upgraded in 2023.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Finally:

Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

I wouldn't hold your breathe on any of that. If you scroll down the replies, that graphic is a joke that someone else made and it looks like this guy just scraped it and reposted it himself as if it was real news.

Grifman

Post by Grifman »

From the horse’s mouth:

Starfield showcase on June 11, release September 6.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Grifman wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 12:58 pm release September 6.
So they're giving us just under a week to finish Baldur's Gate 3... :horse:

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Max Peck wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 6:33 pm
Seriously.

All the years (decades!) of waiting on these games and now Diablo 4, Final Fantasy XVI, Baldur's Gate 3, and now Starfield release in the same 3 month window? :?
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Skinypupy wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 6:44 pm
Seriously.

All the years (decades!) of waiting on these games and now Diablo 4, Final Fantasy XVI, Baldur's Gate 3, and now Starfield release in the same 3 month window? :?
At least I don't have to worry about FFXVI - it's a PS5 exclusive for six months, with no PS4 version and any PC version likely years away.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Skinypupy wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 6:44 pm
Seriously.

I'm sorry, I think I have to take the blame for this. In September I turn seventy and I think Bethesda found out about it :D :wink:
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

I'm happy they took their time with this game and didn't rush it to meet any release windows. Hopefully that means it launches in a stable state. I know it's Bethesda and the sheer size of the game world means there will be bugs, but hopefully it's as polished as it can for launch.
FTE
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Saw this over on Blues - What's Traveller? An introduction to the sci-fi tabletop RPG that inspired Starfield :
Starfield creative director Todd Howard openly cited the influence of tabletop RPG Traveller on the hotly-anticipated release last October, saying that the upcoming video game is "hearkening back to those old roleplaying games that we loved". There's an especially personal connection for Howard too, as he recalled programming a Traveller game for the Apple II computer as one of his earliest coding projects.

When it comes to old roleplaying games, there are few older than Traveller. Released in 1977, only a few years after Dungeons & Dragons revolutionised tabletop roleplaying, the sci-fi RPG has evolved over no fewer than a dozen editions in the last 40-plus years, changing hands along the way from original creator Game Designers' Workshop to current-day studio Mongoose Publishing.
I totally missed this - I had no idea it was an influence.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 12:06 pm Saw this over on Blues - What's Traveller? An introduction to the sci-fi tabletop RPG that inspired Starfield :
Starfield creative director Todd Howard openly cited the influence of tabletop RPG Traveller on the hotly-anticipated release last October, saying that the upcoming video game is "hearkening back to those old roleplaying games that we loved". There's an especially personal connection for Howard too, as he recalled programming a Traveller game for the Apple II computer as one of his earliest coding projects.

When it comes to old roleplaying games, there are few older than Traveller. Released in 1977, only a few years after Dungeons & Dragons revolutionised tabletop roleplaying, the sci-fi RPG has evolved over no fewer than a dozen editions in the last 40-plus years, changing hands along the way from original creator Game Designers' Workshop to current-day studio Mongoose Publishing.
I totally missed this - I had no idea it was an influence.
It looks like they're discussing what he said in this video:
Max Peck wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 11:38 pm

Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

I know at least parts of Starfield are going to be a buggy mess, but I'm still pretty excited for it, and that was before I knew it was Traveller adjacent.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I'm excited for it, too. But I'm not early adopter excited, let alone pre-order excited.

FWIW, I pre-ordered Fallouts 3, New Vegas, 4, 76, Oblivion and Skyrim. Fallout 76, both the launch and Bethesda's behavior since, taught me that I couldn't trust Bethesda until the reviews come out.

But if the reviews are good, I'll be right there with you.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Also, it truly isn't inspired by Traveler unless you can get a 'game over' screen during character creation.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Blackhawk wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 7:06 pm Also, it truly isn't inspired by Traveler unless you can get a 'game over' screen during character creation.
:lol:

So true. I remember character creation and not much else from that game...
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Likewise. I often wonder if Traveller was behind the character 'career' progression at the start of System Shock 2.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

From Bethesda's Discord server:
🚀 Hello Friends! We officially invite you all to join us for a stellar watch party to celebrate the Xbox Showcase and Starfield Direct on June 11, 2023 1:00 PM (you should see the time reflected in your time zone)! Chat with devs, hang with the community, and enter for a chance to win a giveaway during Starfield Direct!

🌠Xbox Showcase and Starfield Direct: https://www.twitch.tv/bethesda
How to Watch the Xbox Games Showcase and Starfield Direct Double Feature on Sunday
What time does Xbox Games Showcase begin?
Sunday, June 11, at 10am Pacific time / 1pm Eastern time / 6pm UK time.

What time does Starfield Direct begin?
Immediately following the Xbox Games Showcase.

How do I watch?
Xbox Games Showcase will be streamed live on official Xbox and Bethesda channels, including the below:
  • YouTube.com/Xbox
  • Twitch.tv/Xbox
  • Twitch.tv/XboxASL
  • Facebook.com/Xbox
  • YouTube.com/Bethesda
  • Twitch.tv/Bethesda

Apollo

Post by Apollo »

Man, I'll bet I could still dig up my old "1st Edition" Traveller rulebooks from waaaay back in the day. I had no idea the game had survived and gone through multiple editions all these years! So cool that the game was an influence on the creators of Starfield, though I honestly don't know if that's a good thing or not :mrgreen: ( :think:)...
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Apollo wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 10:19 pm Man, I'll bet I could still dig up my old "1st Edition" Traveller rulebooks from waaaay back in the day. I had no idea the game had survived and gone through multiple editions all these years!
It would be more accurate to think of it as multiple reboots, each one under different teams at different companies, some great and faithful, some not so great.