Bethesda's Starfield

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

coopasonic

Re: Bethesda's Starfield

Post by coopasonic »

Unagi wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 7:28 pm
coopasonic wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 3:57 pm If you haven't gotten to at least NG+8 have you really even completed it? :D
What is funny, is I imagine you aren't joking.
I'm not really sure at this point how far I went. I see in this thread I mention NG+5 a bunch of times. I'd say NG+2 gives you enough to understand what's really going on and realize it's probably not worth it. I kept pushing to try to find the worth... and I really enjoyed the gameplay loop even without anything really changing. I just liked seeing how fast I could get back to the final mission.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Starfield Update 1.9.47.0 Notes – January 18, 2024 [IN BETA]
Our latest update is now available in our Steam Beta. This update brings over a hundred fixes and adjustments, most of which focus on quality-of-life improvements and quest fixes. Our full list of patch notes is below. We believe we got that pesky asteroid follower this time....

We’re grateful for all the feedback we’ve seen and received and will continue to monitor and track your issues and critiques. As we noted last year, we’ll continue to have a steady stream of updates about every six weeks, so if you don’t see your issue addressed below, don’t lose faith! Keep sharing your feedback and issues so we can do our best to prioritize.

Thank you again and see you in Starfield!
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

yeeeep..deposit this right here.

--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

I need some help on ship weapon loadout. Believe it or not, I've just realized that you can assign multiple weapons to one slot so long as their multiples of the same weapon. Any advice or recommended guides on what is and what is not a good loadout? I've read a bunch of articles that seem to be all over the map.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Generally, I used particle weapons for my main guns, with missiles as a secondary weapon and EMs mounted but not usually powered up unless I wanted to board rather than destroy the target ship. I prefer particle weapons over lasers or ballistics because they're effective against both shields and hull, so they are less fussy to manage in combat.

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Max Peck wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 4:47 pm Generally, I used particle weapons for my main guns, with missiles as a secondary weapon and EMs mounted but not usually powered up unless I wanted to board rather than destroy the target ship. I prefer particle weapons over lasers or ballistics because they're effective against both shields and hull, so they are less fussy to manage in combat.
Any specific PB weapons you think are better or worse? Also, any thoughts on turrets?
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Turrets will wreck enemies. After installing them, I can’t disable a ship before it dies. Which is good when I’m in a mess.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Kurth wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 9:00 pm Any specific PB weapons you think are better or worse? Also, any thoughts on turrets?
It's been a few months since I last played, so I don't recall the specific models for the weapons I was using. Generally I picked the highest damage options that were compatible with my generator.

I had a friendly-fire incident with turrets early on, probably because a friendly ship got in the line of fire between the turret and the target, so I didn't use them after that.

Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Well, I finally made it to New Game+

This is the first game I’ve ever played where I’m replaying it after immediately finishing a first run through. I used to make fun of my son who’s been playing Destiny since he was in 5th grade (he’s a college sophomore now and still playing). It’s pretty much the only game he plays, and I always am on him to try something new. He says he plays now almost more for the relaxation of playing. There’s something about the Destiny gameplay loop that grabbed him and never let go.

I have always been someone who couldn't wait to finish a game so I could get on to the next one. My mindset has consistently been, “too many games, too little time.”

Starfield is the first game that changed that for me. I started playing it at launch, and now, 5 months later, I’m still playing and starting a new game (+). For me, that’s a record.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

:)

For me it was the first time New Game+ actually made sense (from a story mode). I thought it was really cool. I only spent about 5 hours in NG+ before shelving it. I'll absolutely pick it back up again when the DLC comes out. I finished the game before the first patch dropped, so I'm looking forward to experiencing it all over again soon.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

One of the things I like about their use of NG+ is that they have additional dialogue options that allow you to take advantage of your foreknowledge, allowing you to resolve situations in new ways that aren't possible in the first run through the game.

In other news, the newest patch is out of beta: Starfield Update 1.9.51.0 Notes – January 30, 2024
Let there be LIGHT....ing improvements! Our latest update has moved out of Steam Beta and is now available for all Starfield players. The patch notes have remained the same as previously released during the beta except for a version number change and one additional PC crash fix noted below.

We’re grateful for all the feedback we’ve seen and received and will continue to monitor and track your issues and critiques. As we noted last year, we’ll continue to have a steady stream of updates about every six weeks, so if you don’t see your issue addressed below, don’t lose faith! Keep sharing your feedback and issues so we can do our best to prioritize.

Kurth

Post by Kurth »

I do have a question about the endgame:
Spoiler:
After I finished the last mission and grabbed the final artifact, when I got back to my ship, I went to speak with my crew - Sarah, Sam Coe and Barret. Inexplicably, each one was all of a sudden furious with me for some unspecified reason. Previously, I was on great terms with all of them and had never made any of them made at any point in the game. Anyone encounter anything similar?

I reloaded a save twice and had the same experience with them every time.

What gives?
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Is it possible that you damaged a friendly ship in the mission? Also - your powers can clip through walls and hurt innocent people, that may also be what happened.

My only guess would be something of that nature.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Unagi wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 4:41 pm Is it possible that you damaged a friendly ship in the mission? Also - your powers can clip through walls and hurt innocent people, that may also be what happened.

My only guess would be something of that nature.
That makes sense, except I was fine with them all before the final mission, and I don’t think there were any innocents anywhere during that last mission. Just baddies. Strange.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

1.9.67 Notes – February 20, 2024
Our next update is now available. In it you’ll find AMD’s FSR 3 options and a few other fixes. Need to find what FSR 3 brings to Starfield? Check out our feature here.

Other fixes included in this update will be related to performance and stability, including adjustments done to address the FormID issue we’ve seen several commenting on.

Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Kurth wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 9:00 pm
Max Peck wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 4:47 pm Generally, I used particle weapons for my main guns, with missiles as a secondary weapon and EMs mounted but not usually powered up unless I wanted to board rather than destroy the target ship. I prefer particle weapons over lasers or ballistics because they're effective against both shields and hull, so they are less fussy to manage in combat.
Any specific PB weapons you think are better or worse? Also, any thoughts on turrets?
Just get the strongest ones you can put on your ship. A PB is a PB, there's no difference except for strength of the weapon.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Ton of fixes in the latest beta patch:

Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Here's a direct link to the patch notes, for anyone who doesn't want to bounce through the hellscape that is all things X... :wink:

Starfield Update 1.10.30 - March 6, 2024 [BETA]

naednek

Post by naednek »

Never updated my thoughts after finishing the first playthrough, and probably my only playthrough.

1: I bought into the hype about the last few months before release. I was hoping for an epic space game, where everything felt immense, full of adventure and mystery. But it didn't feel that way due to the limitations of the engine they used. This was the perfect opportunity to develop a new engine that can give you that feeling. Instead, I felt like I was walking through a 3-dimensional box. Too often having to load. It truly broke the immersion and wonder.

I had to adjust my expectations and play it like a shooter from 1997. I feel this is the biggest knock I have of the game.

2: Graphically, I enjoyed it. I thought the landscape on the planets could be better, but the ship detail and player\npc detail were great.

3: I felt the space fighting was lacking, it would have been more freespace\star Wars (tie fighter, xwing) feel. Instead, it felt clunky and too simple

4: Gunplay was better, and you can tell they got help from id. A step up from their previous games using the same engine.

5: I enjoyed the story and the dialogue. Regarding parents...
Spoiler:
I keep seeing people post about meeting your parents. I'm not sure if that happens in the first playthrough or later

Overall, I'd give it a 75%. I think they missed a great to showcase their new ip, using a new IP.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Re: Parents

It’s a character background you could have created your character with, and if you didn’t you won’t ever have them.
(It’s one of the 3 traits you assign your character)
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Excellent thread on weapon effects, a lot of which I did not know:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Starfield/s/YJdoGND2Po