Bethesda's Starfield

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Blackhawk

Re: Bethesda's Starfield

Post by Blackhawk »

El Guapo wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:04 pm
Blackhawk wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:03 pm Was there a story in Fallout 3 or 4? At least beyond, "well, technically..."

I left it due to major technical issues a month or so after launch. It was literally unplayable for me, and they refused to help me because one component was under spec (my CPU was, I believe, 0.1 GHz below their requirement, so they refused to help me with an issue that disconnected me from their servers within two minutes of joining.)
Yeah, fair enough. I guess I'm basically asking whether anyone plays it single player, or whether it's only worthwhile as part of a group or clan or what have you.

I happened to see it on XBox GamePass last night so I'm giving it a thought.
I've watched my son play it. My impression is that if you enjoy the 'explore the world and build your character' aspects of the previous titles, along with doing the quests, it's there. You likely won't be able to handle some content solo, and the building aspect is pretty severely limited, but other than that, it does seem to scratch that itch.

/edit - top of page
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
DOS=HIGH

Post by DOS=HIGH »

El Guapo wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:55 am
Octavious wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:10 am I actually hadn't see this was being worked on. They get a lot of hate for Fallout 76, but I mean they have kept on supporting it to get it to a level where most people say it's a really good game now. They just bit off more than they could chew.
What's the current deal with Fallout 76? Is there a story in there, or is it only for people who are playing with friends or into MMRPGs or the like?
FO76 has one primary story, a secondary one when they added Wastelanders, and a third somewhat short one when they added the Brotherhood of Steel. I'd say they're typical Bethesda storylines, nothing great but get you exploring. If you like the open world aspect of FO then you can get a lot out of FO76. There is some group-based content, but most of it is non-instanced and can be done without grouping, aka public events. Grouping is very simple though and most players are very helpful. A lot of people group just for the XP buff but never actually see each other and just keep doing their own thing. It's actually one of the better MMO communities out there, probably because PvP is basically non-existent. Building can be kind of a pain but they've patched it a few times and made it easier, especially if you build inside your shelter. You can find some pretty impressive player settlements, but it's relatively easy to build a basic, functional camp. Overall the game still has some quirks and bugs typical of Bethesda but no game-breakers. They really screwed the pooch with the initial gameplay concept and technical difficulties but managed to make a pretty decent game after two years of listening to the playerbase and not themselves. Which is why I'm in the 'wait and see' camp with Starfield.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I am, unfortunately, in the wait-and-see crowd now for anything Bethesda. It's a shame, as I used to preorder anything they put out. They haven't made me happy lately, and have really built up a sense of 'put something out, ignore what people want, and squeeze as much money out as we can' in the last few years.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

I haven't got too far into it, but there are already story elements and it feels like it will be fine single player.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:36 pm I am, unfortunately, in the wait-and-see crowd now for anything Bethesda. It's a shame, as I used to preorder anything they put out. They haven't made me happy lately, and have really built up a sense of 'put something out, ignore what people want, and squeeze as much money out as we can' in the last few years.
I'm calling Todd Howard on you!
Enlarge Image

Actually I agree totally with you on that.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:24 pm I'm calling Todd Howard on you!
Please do. Somebody over there needs to wake the hell up and stop driving their brand into the ground.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

El Guapo wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:55 am
Octavious wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:10 am I actually hadn't see this was being worked on. They get a lot of hate for Fallout 76, but I mean they have kept on supporting it to get it to a level where most people say it's a really good game now. They just bit off more than they could chew.
What's the current deal with Fallout 76? Is there a story in there, or is it only for people who are playing with friends or into MMRPGs or the like?
It’s in good shape now. The original story has been tweaked to account for a couple of the factions, and there is a nice introductory quest line now. There are several factions now with quest lines, and there are going to be upcoming “expeditions” soon, the first going to “The Pitt” of FO3 DLC fame. If you like Fallout, you would enjoy this. There is still grinding (they have hidden some of the best equipment behind that) and MMO silliness but you can ignore all that and still have a good time.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Starfield has a Steam page now.

"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Im actually more interested in this since knowing its a rpg and not a space sim. I love space sims and own many if not most of them but Ive not been able to enjoy one in years. I reinstalled Rebel Galaxy Outlaw to try to get into again. Ive given it two goes before. May go back to the first one too sometime this year. Never finished it.

Im glad to see Inon Zur doing the music. Him along with Jeremy Soule and George 'The Fat Man' Sanger.

EDIT: In that above video at 6:18 I love that that ship reminds me of Eagle from Space 1999.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Kotaku reporting it will be delayed to 2023:

We’ve made the decision to delay the launches of Redfall and Starfield to the first half of 2023.

The teams at Arkane Austin (Redfall) and Bethesda Game Studios (Starfield) have incredible ambitions for their games, and we want to ensure that you receive the best, most polished versions of them.

We want to thank everyone for their excitement for Redfall and Starfield. That energy is a huge part of what inspires all of us every day and drives our own excitement for what we are creating.

We can’t wait to share our first deep dive into the gameplay for both Redfall and Starfield soon. Thank you for your support.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

The delay is undoubtedly for the best. The last thing they need to do is stick to a release date that was set far in advance and stage their own Cyberpunk 2077 launch debacle.

coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

No Man's Fallout, coming 2023.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

With a hint of Mass Effect.

I'm looking forward to playing it.

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Im in! Im totally full on in! I have had no idea what this was or could be. Literally. Ive not looked or dug. Ive let them keep their pace and secrets. This is wonderful. Its like EVE and Star Citizen and Elite all got together and made it right. I love the vision. Hope they can get it out there for us to play with. With Bioware stub'n their collective toes its time someone took some reins
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I'm guessing that it's going to need one hell of a system - there were spots where their studio demo system seemed to be getting about 20FPS.

I only watched bits and pieces (I don't want to jump into a 15-minute video right now.) Did they say anything about mod support?
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

coopasonic wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 2:36 pm No Man's Skyrim, coming 2023.
Mortoned. :coffee:

Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Blackhawk wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 3:41 pm I'm guessing that it's going to need one hell of a system - there were spots where their studio demo system seemed to be getting about 20FPS.

I only watched bits and pieces (I don't want to jump into a 15-minute video right now.) Did they say anything about mod support?
No, but they have previously said it will have mod support.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Over a 1000 planets you can fully explore? Assuming they're not randomly generated nonsense and have actually been created with intent, that's pretty impressive!
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

I'd expect the vast majority of the planets are algorithmically generated rather than handcrafted.

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I guess I should have clarified. I don't mind random generation of planets, but there better be some intentionally crafted elements that warrant exploration effort.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Max Peck wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 3:58 pm
coopasonic wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 2:36 pm No Man's Skyrim, coming 2023.
Mortoned. :coffee:
I'm seeing the Fallout DNA much more.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

No. Man's. Sky. Rim.

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Smoove_B wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 4:44 pm Over a 1000 planets you can fully explore? Assuming they're not randomly generated nonsense and have actually been created with intent, that's pretty impressive!
I suppose it depends on how they define 'planet', too. Are we talking about huge expanses, or the equivalent of a Skyrim dungeon - just a small area to clear out?
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Blackhawk wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 6:46 pm
Smoove_B wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 4:44 pm Over a 1000 planets you can fully explore? Assuming they're not randomly generated nonsense and have actually been created with intent, that's pretty impressive!
I suppose it depends on how they define 'planet', too. Are we talking about huge expanses, or the equivalent of a Skyrim dungeon - just a small area to clear out?
The way it was presented in the video made it look a lot more like NMS sized planets.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

ESO has an excellent vid on character creation:

Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

There doesn't seem to be an explicit option to select sex/gender, so I'd guess that's what the "body type" option covers (e.g. 1 is "male" and 2 is "female").

Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Huh. This is in pretty good shape for being over 300 years old. I'm a little disappointed that Elon didn't do more to spruce the place up, though.

Enlarge Image

Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

I'm a sucker for all of these Bethesda games and this looks great. It also looks like my poor old GTX 1060 will hate me!
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

It's not just me.

Enlarge Image

Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Looks fancy, I probably will wait until the legendary edition goes on sale in a few years.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

I will pre-purchase the Ultra Spicy Digital+ Edition as soon as Steam allows it, and will feel bitter that I can't purchase the physical Constellation Collector's Edition featuring the fully functional helmet with replaceable N95 filters and Bluetooth audio in Canada. :coffee:

Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Alefroth wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 12:16 pm Likewise.

No Man's Fallout
Compromise: No Man's Skyfall? And for the skeptics: No Man's Skyfail.

I don't dispute that the sci-fi, tech and building aspects are closer to Fallout than the Elder Scrolls, although without Fallout's twisted humor it's difficult for me actually to conceptualize it as Fallout in Space (that's still The Outer Worlds). It's just that No Man's Skyrim is clearly the better meme. :lol:

Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Deal. Before seeing the video I always assumed it would be Skyrim in space.

:obscene-drinkingcheers:
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Todd Howard just said that you can disable, board and capture enemy ships. In fact there are quests to do this.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Grifman wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 3:37 pm Todd Howard just said that you can disable, board and capture enemy ships. In fact there are quests to do this.
I'll admit, that slightly edges me towards day one.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I'm definitely still interested, but I am struggling to think of a single Bethesda release that wasn't in desperate need of patching and critical fixes during the first week+ of release. I'm hopeful, but this also sounds way more ambitious than anything else they've done.

I'm confident I'll eventually enjoy it; I'm just not sure if I'm an early adopter here.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I guarantee it will be as polished as Daggerfall on day 1!
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.