Capitol Riot Investigation Thread

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

malchior

Re: Capitol Riot Investigation Thread

Post by malchior »

We have already have evidence of crimes laid out in the Mueller report that several Federal prosecutors have said are strong cases and will time out soon. The elites have decided that they will not hold him accountable for who knows what reason. So we've moved the goalposts to other crimes that they surely will be held accountable for?! It's almost certainly not happening. We aren't the law and order society we pretend we are.

That piece above is fantastic. But at this point knowing it almost certainly was an actual albeit uncoordinated coup attempt by multiple actors is useless since the people able to do anything aren't doing anything. We know even more than that now and the absence of action is damning.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Blackhawk wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 12:27 pm
Daehawk wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 12:16 pm Are they gonna nail Trump and the idiots in Congress or not?
They'd have to actually have an investigation first.
And if their investigation recommends charges, it will fall upon Merrick Garland's DOJ. So, no.

A person convicted of insurrection is ineligible to run for public office. That's simultaneously a powerful reason to pursue the charge, and the reason they won't.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Actual quote from one if my FB canaries as we run up to the anniversary.
I hate hearing lies. FOR THE LAST TIME, the January 6th "insurrection" WAS NOT deadly. NO ONE died during it. Brian Sicknic died of natural causes 2 days later. NYTimes and CNN both retracted this claim. Don't believe the hype. Don't be a sheep.

It was also NOT an insurrection. It was unplanned, with no weapons present. And let's not forget, Capital staff was caught on camera opening doors for would-be infiltrators and Nancy Pelosi REFUSED capital police protections after they were offered.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

I'm seeing those exact 'arguments' all over news articles.

I thought weapons were unimportant. If someone wants to kill another person, they'll find a way. No gun needed.
malchior

Post by malchior »

No weapons curiously overlooks stun guns and mace. Whatever works in the fantasy land they live in.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Flag lances... riot shields... baseball bats... gas masks... batons...

Though, in retrospect, it is "impressive" there were no guns and knives wielded by these "patriots". Of course, if there were, this would be much bloodier and different conversation, I'd think.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

A crime with little chance of success is still a crime.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I guess we know who's getting the next subpoena?

Hannity text to Meadows on 12/31/20, per Jan. 6 committee: “We can’t lose the entire WH counsels office. I do NOT see January 6 happening the way he is being told." "After the 6 th. [sic] He should announce will lead the nationwide effort to reform voting integrity. Go to Fl and watch Joe mess up daily. Stay engaged. When he speaks people will listen.”
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 6:30 pm I guess we know who's ignoring the next subpoena?

Hannity text to Meadows on 12/31/20, per Jan. 6 committee: “We can’t lose the entire WH counsels office. I do NOT see January 6 happening the way he is being told." "After the 6 th. [sic] He should announce will lead the nationwide effort to reform voting integrity. Go to Fl and watch Joe mess up daily. Stay engaged. When he speaks people will listen.”
Mortoned
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

So what does he mean by "lose the entire WH counsel's office"? Threat of mass resignation? Or just the threat that they won't support the "Green Bay Sweep"?
Black Lives Matter.
malchior

Post by malchior »

El Guapo wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 7:05 pm So what does he mean by "lose the entire WH counsel's office"? Threat of mass resignation? Or just the threat that they won't support the "Green Bay Sweep"?
My guess is on the resignations. I won't say too many nice things about Pat Cipollone but he was by accounts the person in that room who successfully kept Trump from firing Rosen and going 100% in the Jeffrey Clark direction.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Not sure where this should go but Trump has cancelled his press conference scheduled for tomorrow:

Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

This is certainly interesting. Hannity appears to be even more heavily involved than previously hinted at:

Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
malchior

Post by malchior »

Of course Hannity's lawyer is Jay Sekulow.

Kurth

Post by Kurth »

I'm shocked.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
malchior

Post by malchior »

malchior

Post by malchior »

Following Garland's institutions uber alles speech today Trump of course marked this moment with this.

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

CNN
In a sweeping speech marking the one-year anniversary of the Capitol attack, Attorney General Merrick Garland pushed back on criticism that the Justice Department's January 6 probe has not been aggressive enough, while signaling that no one would be off limits as prosecutors "followed the facts."

"The actions we have taken thus far will not be our last," Garland said. "The Justice Department remains committed to holding all January 6th perpetrators, at any level, accountable under law -- whether they were present that day or were otherwise criminally responsible for the assault on our democracy."
He responded to the questions being raised about the speed of the investigation and what it will cover.

"Our answer is, and will continue to be, the same answer we would give with respect to any ongoing investigation: as long as it takes and whatever it takes for justice to be done -- consistent with the facts and the law," he said.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
malchior

Post by malchior »

The speech was by the numbers. He predictably extolled the institution and norms. And that's what he should do. However, it doesn't help that several people who know how to ferret out signs of investigations pointed out that there have been none of the telltale signs of anything beyond going after the low level people. No sealed dockets. No leaks. No people whining about overstepping authorities. No raids. Nada. That doesn't mean it isn't happening but it'd be helpful if we heard a little noise.

Still we have no choice but to believe that they are truly going to follow the facts. However, public trust is in tatters in most institutions including the DOJ which is still damaged by the litany of revelations during the Trump era. Many of the same people are still there even if the leadership turned over. We haven't seen any real indications that the rot has been swept out or any introspection about the Trump era issues. Meanwhile, a lot of folks are doggedly hanging onto the thread that justice is just slow and it's coming. That's a fine belief but a lot of people are still shellshocked from what happened in the Muller investigation. I personally have zero faith they have the guts to do what is needed. But I'm more than willing to be proven wrong here.

Edit: One thing that I thought fell flat was his defense of the DOJ where he pushed back on his critics. As if they don't have a reason to be extremely skeptical. It indicates to me that he has no perspective how damaged the institution actually is and how dangerous the moment is. I get his thesis that going back to being the boring DOJ is what was needed but we will have to see if it ends up repairing the damage.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

“Inside the beltway” blindness
malchior

Post by malchior »

Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Is there a memorial today to honor those who lost their lives defending the Capitol?
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
malchior

Post by malchior »

Cool. Thanks for mentioning it a year later. Though I wonder if she mentioned it in her book...

Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I watched "How To Become A Tyrant" on Netflix yesterday. His entire presidency was like a paint by numbers following that show. Well minus the execution of people. That would have been hard to pull off even for him. :P
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Jaymann wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 12:09 pm Is there a memorial today to honor those who lost their lives defending the Capitol?
There should be

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/01/06/us/p ... orial.html

I guess the wheels of memorial honoring grind slowly.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Happy American Guy Fawkes Day!
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
malchior

Post by malchior »

Yup - sounds about right. Kinzinger said he would have been there if not for family obligations but...it is what we can expect from those cowards.

Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

The party that swore to defend the Constitution couldn’t be bothered to show up, then or now. Dick Cheney should not be the best of the Republicans.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Well, you know, great patriots.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

emptywheel has data on the higher level conspiracy cases:
One number, however, is low: DOJ claims that,

Approximately 40 defendants have been charged with conspiracy, either: (a) conspiracy to obstruct a congressional proceeding, (b) conspiracy to obstruct law enforcement during a civil disorder, (c) conspiracy to injure an officer, or (d) some combination of the three.

By my count, this number is at least 25% off the known count. There are 39 people currently charged in the top-line militia conspiracies, plus five people cooperating against them.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Enlarge Image
Stop funding for NPR
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Fantasizing about being an English soldier shooting real Americans again?
He won. Period.
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

hepcat wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 7:27 pm Fantasizing about being an English soldier shooting real Americans again?
Trolls are gonna troll. His signature says enough about his seriousness.
FTE
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Ted Cruz was forced to grovel to Tucker because he had the audacity to call Jan 6 a "terrorist attack" instead of "tourists".

Fuck these people.

When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

We've always known that about Cruz. Remember when Trump insulted his wife and Cruz came crawling back, hat in hand, to kiss his ass?
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Holman

Post by Holman »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 10:42 am We've always known that about Cruz. Remember when Trump insulted his wife and Cruz came crawling back, hat in hand, to kiss his ass?
His wife *and* his father.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

To be fair, Cruz's father DID kill Kennedy.
He won. Period.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Does Tucker Carlson ever have a still shot where it doesn't look like he just took a haymaker from a professional MMA fighter?
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 12:08 pm Does Tucker Carlson ever have a still shot where it doesn't look like he just took a haymaker from a professional MMA fighter?
It's his carefully cultivated "I'm a complete and utter moron, a literal mouthbreather" look in case he has to appear before a jury.
Tucker's lawyer: "Just look at this supercut of Tucker's face over the years...does this man look like an evil genius that could plot and effect the downfall of our republic? Look at those eyes! He barely comprehends his own exsitence! Notice the constant look of wonder and bewilderment, and the slightly ajar mouth. No, ladies and gentleman, I submit that is not the face of someone capable of the crimes he is being charged with. We should PITY this man, NOT condemn him."

Alternate: It's his carefully cultivated "I'm a complete and utter moron, a literal mouthbreather" look, in order to appeal even more to his audience. Not that "rich frat boy" is hurting him, because these days, if your perceived hate of liberals is sufficient, nothing else matters.
Last edited by Carpet_pissr on Fri Jan 07, 2022 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Newspeak: It was a tourist attack.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter