Capitol Riot Investigation Thread

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Re: Capitol Riot Investigation Thread

Post by LawBeefaroni »

malchior wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:43 pm They have Trump and many of his goons (if our country isn't already dead...which it might be). This is important because the hearing established that Trump was warned that what he was going to do was criminal...and he went and did it.
How do they "have" anyone. We've seen time and again that testimony, even second party non-hearsay testimony, doesn't really amount to shit in Congress anymore.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Honestly, I wouldn't even get excited if they pull texts off of phones organizing then whole thing. Devil's Triangle is a drinking game and "boof" is to fart. "Bring guns" probably means wear tank tops.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
malchior

Post by malchior »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:59 pm
malchior wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:43 pm They have Trump and many of his goons (if our country isn't already dead...which it might be). This is important because the hearing established that Trump was warned that what he was going to do was criminal...and he went and did it.
How do they "have" anyone. We've seen time and again that testimony, even second party non-hearsay testimony, doesn't really amount to shit in Congress anymore.
In the sense that we have what several legal experts said was admissible direct evidence of a plot by the President of the United States to overturn the election. And that there are multiple people could corroborate her story. Even the most skeptical people are saying today that there is clear evidence of a crime.

That said I get the skepticism. I still have that knot that he'll get away with it again. I won't put odds on things but this is more of a - they have the evidence. They have to do it. If they don't then disaster will follow.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

If Florida Man does not get indicted I will have to subscribe to Drazill's Kabuki Theater newsletter. Probably an indictment is more likely in GA than from Garland.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Well he already replied with his classic defense of he barely knew her and that she's bad news. It's amazing how many people in his daily orbit that he barely knows and are bad news. :lol:
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I sure hope Flynn taking the 5th when asked if he supports the peaceful transfer of power doesn't get lost in the mix of everything else revealed today.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I think Ron DeSantis might be the happiest man in America right now.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Skinypupy wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:17 pm I think Ron DeSantis might be the happiest man in America right now.
Nailed it.
Holman

Post by Holman »

hepcat wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:27 pm He owns the GOP. Nothing will happen. :(
I'm no longer so sure of that. Recent polling has Trump down to neck-and-neck with DeSantis.

Now that there's a popular replacement lined up (and one with much less baggage), the GOP might be content to let the Dems solve their Trump problem for them. This becomes more likely with each 1/6 revelation.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Now we'll get the evolved, much more dangerous version of the velociraptor. These ones don't just snort on the glass of the door, flummoxed by their hubris and incompetence. They're prepped with tools to cut a velociraptor sized hole in the door to get at the kids.

Yay?
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

IIRC the original Velociraptor turned the door handle and let herself in.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Unagi wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:35 pm IIRC the original Velociraptor turned the door handle and let herself in.
Damn it.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Maybe I'm numb to all this, but I don't think it changes anything. This just confirms what we all watched happen in real time, and nothing happened then either.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Archinerd wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:42 pm Maybe I'm numb to all this, but I don't think it changes anything. This just confirms what we all watched happen in real time, and nothing happened then either.
But this time it's different.

Just like last time.

MYT
malchior

Post by malchior »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:53 pm
Archinerd wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:42 pm Maybe I'm numb to all this, but I don't think it changes anything. This just confirms what we all watched happen in real time, and nothing happened then either.
But this time it's different.

Just like last time.
I think this is a big mischaracterization. Most of the times with Trump there has been layers of obfuscation. Previous to today we had accounts that implicated his lawyers but there was still a wall. Those have tumbled down with this testimony. Multiple credible experts have said this is indeed different. He is directly implicated, there is evidence of his criminal intent, and a clear path to indictment. What we don't know is whether that is enough for this corrupt, dying system. If it goes no where then we have our answer about American justice. It'll be proven a complete farce.

Edit: To be clearer, all I'm getting at is that non-cult-y serious people all liked to talk about the very good reasons that Trump wasn't indicted before. We are hearing a chorus saying now we have the evidence that was missing. Now it's a test of our system.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Unagi wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:35 pm IIRC the original Velociraptor turned the door handle and let herself in.
Oh he did quite a bit more than that.

Black Lives Matter.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Hilarious to listen to Bret Baier on Fox News say yeah this was .... so bad .... we wish Gym Jordan was there to yell about it.

Unagi

Post by Unagi »

OMG that is hilarious. Their silence is mythril
LawBeefaroni wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:53 pm But this time it's different.
I mean, that was - wasn't it?
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Octavious wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:06 pm Well he already replied with his classic defense of he barely knew her and that she's bad news. It's amazing how many people in his daily orbit that he barely knows and are bad news. :lol:
Well, he ain't wrong about her being bad news.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Unagi wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:13 pm OMG that is hilarious. Their silence is mythril
Can we go back and count the number of times folks said that about <insert any incident>?

I want Trump in prison. It would make me happy. It would give me hope. But it just ain’t gonna happen. The only thing that can save us now is one cheeseburger too many. To that end, I’d like to start a gofundme to supply a constant stream of Big Macs and French fries to Mar-a-Lago. Please donate.
Last edited by hepcat on Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
He won. Period.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Unagi wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:13 pm OMG that is hilarious. Their silence is mythril
Definitely a pivot from ignoring the hearings completely. Gas prices are up - film at 11!
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

No, it's happened before. Fox News has gotten called out on air often.

MYT
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:40 pm
What do you mean by called out on air. ?
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Unagi wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:18 am
I assumed you were referring to the clip where they were silenced on air. It's happened before. It was also a very brief silence and they were back to bullshit in a few seconds. If you're watching hour after hour it probably didn't even register.

MYT
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:26 am
I assumed you were referring to the clip where they were silenced on air. It's happened before. It was also a very brief silence and they were back to bullshit in a few seconds. If you're watching hour after hour it probably didn't even register.
Huh. My immediate reaction was...he wasn't asking a question, nor was he directing anything to anyone, so no one spoke.
Commentator 1: "The sky is blue"
Commentator 2: ...
Commentator 3: ...
Twitter: OMFG?!?!?!?### FOX NEWS#SPEECHLESSATFACTS## MUST SEE THIS

:P
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

hepcat wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:18 pm
Can we go back and count the number of times folks said that about <insert any incident>?

I want Trump in prison. It would make me happy. It would give me hope. But it just ain’t gonna happen. The only thing that can save us now is one cheeseburger too many. To that end, I’d like to start a gofundme to supply a constant stream of Big Macs and French fries to Mar-a-Lago. Please donate.
I'd been hoping this for years. Especially after he got COVID. He gets health care we can't dream of. It's not going to happen. :cry:
malchior

Post by malchior »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:53 am
Huh. My immediate reaction was...he wasn't asking a question, nor was he directing anything to anyone, so no one spoke.
Commentator 1: "The sky is blue"
Commentator 2: ...
Commentator 3: ...
Twitter: OMFG?!?!?!?### FOX NEWS#SPEECHLESSATFACTS## MUST SEE THIS

:P
Yeah i was more in it for him basically admitting it is bad. Complete with his call for Jordan to help defray it with his circus act. The sort of bias they decry.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

I'm not exactly a Fox-watcher, but from everything I've seen of this douchebag (admittedly through a very focused and bias lens via clips of him probably being more awful or just plain stupid than normal), this reaction seems highly suspicious (so maybe that's the reason for his colleagues' silence?).

My cynicism and loathing is so high for the Fox propaganda machine, that I immediately wonder what his endgame is with this take. When you have years of history of outright lying or at least constantly stretching the truth to the max to fit your narrative, forgive me if I don't suddenly think you're being sincere when you just STOP and pretend to be a neutral journalist.

Hell, for all I know I could be confusing this guy with some other Fox douche, but I REALLY don't want to go down that particular research rabbit hole this morning.

Edit: Dammit, I have confused this poor man with Brian Kilmeade (who BTW, has an only slightly less punchable face than Matt Gaetz IMO). "They all look alike!" :P
Last edited by Carpet_pissr on Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Yeah he is nearest to a real reporter they have left. But he is still very much has one foot set down in MAGA country. He knows how to play the game. A double game to be precise. Someone could say that this clip shows a serious assessment but he also helps frame it for the smooth brain's by implying it might only look that way because it isn't a fair hearing.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

What you are calling 'called out on air' or 'silenced on air' - to me - it's about the specifics of the whole thing... That he came out and basically said "This is pretty damning testimony - and it wouldn't matter if some other Republican was up their questioning her... This is pretty bad stuff" - and the two other people basically sitting there with nothing to counter... nothing to say... It was about as close as I've ever seen Fox News point the finger at Trump.

I know they have had other small moments of clarity that also met with similar 'cat got your tongue?' replies from others -- but the subject matter here is the Capitol Riot Investigation.

To me, that felt a bit different from other times.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Honestly that bit at the end looked like someone missed a cue to me.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

malchior wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:43 am Yeah he is nearest to a real reporter they have left. But he is still very much has one foot set down in MAGA country. He knows how to play the game. A double game to be precise. Someone could say that this clip shows a serious assessment but he also helps frame it for the smooth brain's by implying it might only look that way because it isn't a fair hearing.
I've also seen some persuasive analysis suggesting that Republican elites would prefer DeSantis in 2024 to Trump (which makes sense - they'd get a lot of the same policies as Trump, but DeSantis is more likely to win and overall probably less of a liability) such that right wing media bubble coverage has been very pro-DeSantis lately. Not anti-Trump by any means, but trying to boost DeSantis as much as possible even if it comes at the expense of Trump.
Black Lives Matter.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

This is honestly how I feel about the 1/6 hearings, generally. We watched it play out in real time. It was fully covered, and then some. None of this is surprising. It’s hard for me to see how it moves the needle.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Personally I think this is just grinding down his chances of winning the primary. There's tons of people that don't want to deal with his shit. With Desantis they get all the horror without the baggage. I think he will be the candidate for sure.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Little Raven

Post by Little Raven »

Yeah, I think the odds of Trump going to jail are low but I think the odds of him winning a primary are steadily dropping. The Republicans have a new champion now.
/. "She climbed backwards out her
\/ window into Outside Over There."
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

If I thought more along the lines of large conspiracy/elite GOP puppetmasters, I might suspect that whoever is running things behind the Great Populist Curtain finally decided to "thumbs down" Trump and we are seeing the fallout of that. NOT as a result of the testimony - the decision was already made. Then certain hounds were released, or allowed to speak up, resulting in this new peek into the chaos of that day. Probably pulling the curtain back JUST enough to deep 6 Trump's chances, but not enough to tank the GOP platform for his replacement. There's a fine line I guess.

As mentioned above, mostly to keep him from winning the primary, and likely NOTHING more than that (no jail time, etc).

I have to also assume whoever here was literally suggesting that he would be executed for treason was joking. Right????

I HIGHLY suspect his "punishment" is just that he won't get to run again. The GOP has the country by the balls at all levels, and it's their call what ultimately happens to him (or not). Of course that's not how it's supposed to work, but we don't live in that world.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I see a lot of Trump 2024 flags and stickers. I don't know that the deplorables are ready to change and if they aren't then I don't see Trump's ego giving up even if he loses the primary he has yet to enter, so I don't see GOP switching horses. I'm not sure what can/will change that stance at this point.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

My neighbor has Trump/Pence signs in his yard and is flying every type of deplorable flag you can imagine either on a flagpole or on his cars. His Jeep is currently flying three off the bumper - American, Trump and Thin Blue Line. I'm still kinda amazed he wasn't there on 1/6, quite frankly.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

In my town there's only one house on the entire street flying Trump stuff still. There were TONS of things until last year. I really don't see how Ron doesn't pass him by. He's so similar in his attitude minus the parts that might have him lose the election. Never mind that he will probably cause just as much chaos. :P

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Enlarge Image
LordMortis wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:24 pm I see a lot of Trump 2024 flags and stickers. I don't know that the deplorables are ready to change and if they aren't then I don't see Trump's ego giving up even if he loses the primary he has yet to enter, so I don't see GOP switching horses. I'm not sure what can/will change that stance at this point.
If you can convince him he's protected from prosecution it wouldn't take a lot of money to buy off Trump.

If he thinks that becomming president is the only way to protect his decrepit empire, then he probably can't be dissuaded.

MYT