Capitol Riot Investigation Thread

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

El Guapo

Re: Capitol Riot Investigation Thread

Post by El Guapo »

Smoove_B wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 2:18 pm
malchior wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 2:13 pm Even if it would pass it'd be false hope. It is only one avenue of the attack.
But can we surmise that when it doesn't, it's a pretty good sign that it's going to be an all-out assault by the GOP in 2024? Like...is this a useful barometer for where we're seemingly headed?
Well, there's going to be an all-out assault by the GOP in 2024 regardless (even if this did somehow pass). Almost all legislation is subject to GOP blockade anyway, so one piece of legislation getting torpedoed doesn't inform much.

This is merely choosing the form of the destructor.
Black Lives Matter.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Smoove_B wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 2:18 pm
malchior wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 2:13 pm Even if it would pass it'd be false hope. It is only one avenue of the attack.
But can we surmise that when it doesn't, it's a pretty good sign that it's going to be an all-out assault by the GOP in 2024? Like...is this a useful barometer for where we're seemingly headed?
I don't think so. Meaning the attack is probaby happening no matter what. They shape of it just changes is it does or doesn't pass. This is just look at us being so, so serious grandstanding between Manchin and Collins. They are the worst.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Just to tie the two topics together...

About this video from last night.

We’ve been closely tracking the cases of many of the people shown

Let me tell you more …

(Below)
EDIT: Also, I'd really, really like more information on the people in Congress that were seeking pardons. Like...every single one of them should be named.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

The Mangerine is now striking back against his own daughter for her testimony stating she didn’t believe the election is stolen. I love watching this piece of shit realize he’s the head of a family that would happily watch him drown if it meant they ended up with one extra life jacket.
Covfefe!
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

hepcat wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 10:04 pm The Mangerine is now striking back against his own daughter for her testimony stating she didn’t believe the election is stolen. I love watching this piece of shit realize he’s the head of a family that would happily watch him drown if it meant they ended up with one extra life jacket.
I doubt it’s much of a realization. He’s apparently lived his whole life with that ‘me first, at all costs’ mentality. I bet he presumes everyone thinks that way (which explains a lot of his behavior).
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

In case you're wondering how serious the people involved are taking this

Peter Navarro’s attorney today asked the court to delay his trial date so he can go on a book tour to raise money for his defense. His request was denied.
People.Need.To.Hang.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 6:42 pm People.Need.To.Hang.
Probably an unwelcome endorsement, but I am totally behind you on this sentiment.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Fox News is trying to equate a group of people associated with Stephen Colbert who were there on Jan. 6th at the capital with the insurrectionists in order to downplay the events of the day, most likely. One of the perpetrators?

Robert Smigel….aka Triumph the Insult Dog

Covfefe!
malchior

Post by malchior »

This will be so much dumber than even the very, very low bar of modernity.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Unagi wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 7:27 pm Probably an unwelcome endorsement, but I am totally behind you on this sentiment.
Not by me. Unlike the days and months following the Civil War, I don't think we should be looking to forgive and allow the leaders and organizers of 1/6 to re-integrate into current society. I fully believe there are people among us that want to burn everything to the ground, so we need to put a definite end to that. And certainly make sure they're not erecting Ashli Babbitt statues in another 50 years.

Like...TFG is already bloviating that he's going to pardon anyone that's been incarcerated for anything related to 1/6.

F all these people.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

So Pence is giving a talk at the University Club of Chicago today. My wife is down there (work) and some of the more progressive members aren't buying the whole "savior of democracy" mantle that's been thrust on him.

Wait until they hear his speech:
In Chicago, Pence will address the University Club of Chicago on “the failures of progressive economic policies that have led to record inflation, record gas prices, and record pessimism about America’s economy,” according to his Advancing American Freedom group.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Pence knows that’s a lie. The progressives didn’t even get a chance to pass their policy due to Senators Manchin and Sinema. The economy is messed up because of supply chain disruptions, pent up demand, COVID labor shortages, and a war in Europe. Not progressive policy.

I hate this phantom evil boogie man crap which is the fuel that fed 1/6 and almost led to Pence’s lynching.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

The problem is the Democrats seemingly have zero strategy to combat that messaging.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

I wonder if they can access it.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Alefroth wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:05 pm I wonder if they can access it.
I assume you mean legally?
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Unagi wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:32 pm
Alefroth wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:05 pm I wonder if they can access it.
I assume you mean legally?
No, like did they make him provide an unlock code or anything.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

So law enforcement is able to access it using specialized passcode cracking tools like Cellebrite or GrayKey, but they would need to have the necessary search warrant. I would think this level of event would have that level of search warrant included.
But, those tools may not do the trick.

As far as, would he be compelled to unlock it for them - I've heard it's not entirely clear how far they can go - etc.
malchior

Post by malchior »

They had him standing there and a warrant to search it. They probably directed him to either change the password or disabled it altogether.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

I'd have thought he would have been smart enough to say, "you know, I don't know that I actually remember that code. You've managed to fluster it right out of my memory" But I bet you are totally right.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

malchior wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:47 pm They had him standing there and a warrant to search it. They probably directed him to either change the password or disabled it altogether.
Orin Kerr indicated that they're apparently using two search warrants - one to seize the phone and another to search it. Which is apparently unusual (you can do it with one subpoena). He speculates that the reason is that Eastman is a lawyer (so they need to take various precautions around reviewing the contents of the phone).
Black Lives Matter.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

I'm guessing that is what point #7 in the above document is about ?
malchior

Post by malchior »

What's fun is the right is calling this a raid by the gestapo. Famously known for their narrow search warrants and due process protections.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

And ironically, I just finished a delicious bowl of homemade gazpacho.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Unagi wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:01 pm And ironically, I just finished a delicious bowl of homemade gazpacho.
Hope you used your good peach tree dish.
Roman

Post by Roman »

Yikes!
While feeding all the beasties out back I let a nice big fart. The smell followed all the way back to the house. It's like it was my baby and felt abandoned.
malchior

Post by malchior »

This hearing was...more than expected. I actually have to believe Trump will be indicted now. That was overwhelming on top of already overwhelming.

Also the evidence they presented that people were being intimidated? Sarah Kendzior was right. He is a crime boss. He needs to be prosecuted to protect the public.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I wish I could be as optimistic as you. But the (Orange) Teflon Don has escaped from worse.

Also, what's the over/under on whether or not Trump has called Hutchinson a "bimbo" yet today?
Covfefe!
malchior

Post by malchior »

If he isn't indicted then this nation is stone cold dead. It was that damning. She literally laid out how everyone was warned there was violence coming, Trump tried to get security measures reduced despite the warnings, Giuliani told her that they were going to the Capitol on 1/6, that's evidence it was planned and not impulsive as we suspected, and Trump physically fought with his security detail when they wouldn't take him down to the Capitol. Then all the things we knew like how he didn't call for support and didn't put out a statement until it was clear they didn't succeed. It's massive.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

He owns the GOP. Nothing will happen. :(
Covfefe!
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

I hope I am missing the damning stuff, but is the video Roman posted above what is getting you guys in a tizzy? If so.... :roll: :D

Please tell me it's more than "he REALLY wanted to go to the Capitol but his security detail wouldn't let him".

Please.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:28 pm I hope I am missing the damning stuff, but is the video Roman posted above what is getting you guys in a tizzy? If so.... :roll: :D

Please tell me it's more than "he REALLY wanted to go to the Capitol but his security detail wouldn't let him".

Please.
It's way more! Way more. Honestly if he isn't indicted it's a clear signal that this country is *over*. It's that grave. And she was the only one of these monsters brave enough to step up and tell her story. They all know. That's why they've been thumbing their nose at the authorities. They're all criminals.

Side note: Garland's decision to not press Meadows makes him look even more weak. If they don't move on substantive charges then Garland needs to be hounded out of the AG's seat. We have Eric Holder literally saying that Garland needs to indict Trump. And that was before today. It's crazy what we're seeing now.

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Yeah, I watched the whole thing and it's way more than that, indeed. If people don't literally hang for this then as a nation, we're in trouble. Not jail. Not life in prison. Not house arrest. Hang.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

OANN and Newsmax not a hint of the hearing. That to me is very telling. :lol: I wish I was optimistic that they will actually do anything about it. I'd love to be wrong, usually am.

BBC has an awesome title. I wish people would worry more about this than the current gas prices.

Trump urged armed supporters to storm Capitol - aide
Last edited by Octavious on Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Is it Trump's request for removal of the "mags"? That seems like a pretty big deal, but everything I read seems to be revolving around The Beast story, which I personally think is a nothingburger, unless "wrestling for control of a car" is a high crime now? Also, my mind's eye can't help but to see that situation playing out as a pathetic, one-sided slap fight by Trump. :tjg:

I can't watch live so I am waiting for you guys to throw me a bone here. :P
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

It's him knowing they are armed and telling them to go to the capital... I didn't watch, but under normal times that would be a very bad thing.

They knew people would show up armed
Tried to remove security so they could stay armed
Told them to go to the capital armed
Tried to lead the charge and was forced back to the WH

I mean that's really bad, but we'll see if anyone actually cares anymore.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
malchior

Post by malchior »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:40 pm Is it Trump's request for removal of the "mags"? That seems like a pretty big deal, but everything I read seems to be revolving around The Beast story, which I personally think is a nothingburger, unless "wrestling for control of a car" is a high crime now? Also, my mind's eye can't help but to see that situation playing out as a pathetic, one-sided slap fight by Trump. :tjg:

I can't watch live so I am waiting for you guys to throw me a bone here. :P
How about them talking about the crimes before it happened? I'd say stop being skeptical. They have Trump and many of his goons (if our country isn't already dead...which it might be). This is important because the hearing established that Trump was warned that what he was going to do was criminal...and he went and did it.

Edit: For example, he was warned that the crowd was armed. He was warned they planned to attack the Capitol. They had discussed his speech and its directive to walk to the Capitol knowing this. They said he shouldn't do it but he did it anyway. That's mens rea. That's why the grabbing the steering wheel story fits in. It shows how desperate he was to encourage and direct the coup personally.

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

More bombshells? I look back over the past 8+ years at a mountain of bombshells that didn't do shit. I'm beyond hoping anything will come of this.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:53 pm More bombshells? I look back over the past 8+ years at a mountain of bombshells that didn't do shit. I'm beyond hoping anything will come of this.
Yeah, the current power dynamic is very pro-Trump (whether for him personally, or his 'movement'), and if many of the ones calling the shots didn't actively support the actions on Jan 6, they certainly didn't hurt themselves decrying it.

I get the feeling this is people WISHING super hard that something will come of this because it really feels like the last chance before the second, more hardcore phase of Magamerica begins.
Last edited by Carpet_pissr on Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.