Capitol Riot Investigation Thread

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Smoove_B

Re: Capitol Riot Investigation Thread

Post by Smoove_B »

I am amused at all this discussion; it's appreciated.

Back on topic - Enrique Tarrio was given 22 years.
His sentence is the longest so far in a Jan. 6 case so far, surpassing the 18 years given to Oath Keepers founder Stewart Rhodes, who was also convicted of seditious conspiracy.
I believe the prosecution asked for 33, so..yeah.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
malchior

Post by malchior »

I almost posted about this earlier but feared poking at the Rageful Mask! The judge early in the hearing made comments that indicated he'd depart downward. He agreed with a 'terrorism' enhancement that the prosecutors added but he also made a comment about how it wasn't like the Proud Boys wanted to blow up the capital. This judge has made similar comments before...guess who appointed him. :roll:
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

malchior wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 6:17 pm I almost posted about this earlier but feared poking at the Rageful Mask! The judge early in the hearing made comments that indicated he'd depart downward. He agreed with a 'terrorism' enhancement that the prosecutors added but he also made a comment about how it wasn't like the Proud Boys wanted to blow up the capital. This judge has made similar comments before...guess who appointed him. :roll:
The Rageful Mask is a clear winner! Well done, sir. :clap:
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
waitingtoconnect

Post by waitingtoconnect »

He is hoping for a pardon from Trump after the next election. Not sure that will work out too well.

Trump tends not to reward acolytes with pardons. Only if it benefits him personally like getting more donations. We have unproven commentary he and his team were willing to accept cash for pardons. Usually he'll let the little guys who go to jail for him stay in jail (like Assange et al) and then bad mouth them as criminals. (Like Michael Cohen.)

Far more likely like Ray Epps (https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-66169918) he'll be scapegoated as the cause of the riot - either fooled by or in coordination with the deep state and Antifa to ruin Trump's perfect Capitol building tour.

100% guaranteed that he'll be blaming Tarrio for the insurrection saying that it wasn't him but the Proud Boys. I can just hear him now – "Proud who? Well I don't know them very well but it's terrible what they did on January 6. Just terrible. I didn't say anything and they did it themselves".
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Well he did tell them to stand back and stand by, so of course there is no blood on his hands.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Ugh.

“Everyone involved must be called to account. Otherwise, we cannot move on. Dominic Pezzola proves the point. He’s the Proud Boy, one of the three others already sentenced, who stole a police shield and used it to break a window on the West Terrace of the Capitol, the first member of the mob to breach the building. He sobbed in court during sentencing last week. But after the judge left, he raised his fist and shouted, “Trump won!”
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Kurth wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 6:24 pm
malchior wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 6:17 pm I almost posted about this earlier but feared poking at the Rageful Mask! The judge early in the hearing made comments that indicated he'd depart downward. He agreed with a 'terrorism' enhancement that the prosecutors added but he also made a comment about how it wasn't like the Proud Boys wanted to blow up the capital. This judge has made similar comments before...guess who appointed him. :roll:
The Rageful Mask is a clear winner! Well done, sir. :clap:
I don't understand The Rageful Mask.

Anyway, I dislike the downward departures but 22 years is a *long* time, so I don't care all that much.
Black Lives Matter.
malchior

Post by malchior »

El Guapo wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 2:08 pmAnyway, I dislike the downward departures but 22 years is a *long* time, so I don't care all that much.
For me, the downward departures and the multiple times this particular judge has downplayed the seriousness are what boggles me. "It's terrorism but it's not like they were Al'Queda!" Yeah...overthrowing a democracy is no big deal as long as people don't get immediately killed...
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Several people died including a suicide by an officer the next day. At least 2 died as a direct result of actions taken on Jan 6th. 1 shot and 1 trampled.

If you meant no one was getting their heads sawed off on a live stream, then yes, it was not al'queda (I'm not too happy I can spell that from memory. Ugh.)

There is this aura around Jan 6th like it was just a protest that had a little violence around the edges. Totally normal. It's bizarre.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

El Guapo wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 2:08 pm I don't understand The Rageful Mask.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Call me crazy but I'm never happy when a judge looks like he is sympathizing with terrorists because they...might align with his political beliefs. But that's the American judiciary. It's was once the world standard. The decline was SWIFT.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

GreenGoo wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 2:47 pm There is this aura around Jan 6th like it was just a protest that had a little violence around the edges. Totally normal. It's bizarre.
Indeed. A few deaths, some people were hurt. Overall the people there were just really aggressively using their 1st Amendment rights to try and disrupt a peaceful transition of power. We certainly don't want to suppress anything like that.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Smoove_B wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 2:59 pm
GreenGoo wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 2:47 pm There is this aura around Jan 6th like it was just a protest that had a little violence around the edges. Totally normal. It's bizarre.
Indeed. A few deaths, some people were hurt. Overall the people there were just really aggressively using their 1st Amendment rights to try and disrupt a peaceful transition of power. We certainly don't want to suppress anything like that.
It was mostly peaceful by youse guys own standards. :doh:

Enlarge Image
"Four more years!" "Pause." LMAO
Holman

Post by Holman »

Many times more arrests were made in the 2020 riots than have been made wrt January 6.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
waitingtoconnect

Just because one is wrong doesn’t make that other right. The Black Lives Matter protests were invalid when made through violence. But many protests were not violent.

Jan 6 was an insurrection aimed at preventing the counting of electoral votes. I know which one is worse and has the worse outcome for us all and it’s not BLM.

However the root cause of blm and jan 6 are the same. A broken system that has created more necessitous men than free men. As FDR pointed out these people will forgo democracy for loyalty to a “leader”, their next meal or a free television set.
malchior wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 2:57 pm Call me crazy but I'm never happy when a judge looks like he is sympathizing with terrorists because they...might align with his political beliefs. But that's the American judiciary. It's was once the world standard. The decline was SWIFT.
This was the plan. Several advocates for American dictatorship like Roger stone where horrified when judges they helped got nominated to the bench and then to the Supreme Court started ruling based on the actual law and wouldn’t override precedent like they wanted. So they set up a project to get their acolytes onto the federal bench, people they knew could not be turned from the project.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Nor do I, and when I google it, the top result is this thread.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Zarathud

Capitol Riot Investigation Thread

Post by Zarathud »

I think it is a lie that the right wing conservatives who stormed the capitol were “necessitous” or left behind. They insist on privilege not given to others, especially those in BLM protests.

Yes, there are problems and inequities within rural areas and Red States. But Republican policy — and Trump MAGA in particular— just makes their situation worse.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

GreenGoo wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 2:47 pm al'queda (I'm not too happy I can spell that from memory. Ugh.)
Good news, then. :D
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Al queso?
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Cheesy posts like that are what got you to 80,000, and the reason you still haven't been awarded a jacket.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Ouch. I havarti got an appointment with my therapist to deal with that grating dig.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

You're a gouda poster, don't let Kraken shred you like that, your posts curd not brie any cheddar.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 7:50 pm
Nor do I, and when I google it, the top result is this thread.
Enlarge Image

I hate to be the one to remove the mask, but the reference is to our very own Smoove_B, who was deemed "The Rageful Mask" - just there where you read it. And Kurth celebrated it, as he was the one that is behind the origin story. It's just one page back.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Alefroth wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 12:29 am
GreenGoo wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 2:47 pm al'queda (I'm not too happy I can spell that from memory. Ugh.)
Good news, then. :D
I assumed that was some inside joke, since I've never seen it spelled that way before.

??
al-Qaeda

The English name of the organization is a simplified transliteration of the Arabic noun al-qāʿidah (‏القاعدة‎), which means "the foundation" or "the base". The initial al- is the Arabic definite article "the", hence "the base".[155]. Al-Qaeda's name can also be transliterated as al-Qaida, al-Qa'ida, or el-Qaida
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Alefroth wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 12:29 am Good news, then. :D
:lol:

Good.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Sometimes it is worth checking out what the smooth brains are talking about. This is a fairly normal arrest but you have people talking about the modern SS. They are flat out nut jobs.

stessier

Post by stessier »

Without commenting on whether or not he should have been allowed closer, I will note the FBI were remarkably calm in that clip.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

stessier wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 3:37 pm I will note the FBI were remarkably calm in that clip.
Seriously. The Rageful Mask would not have been that calm. :)
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Former Trump adviser Peter Navarro convicted of contempt of Congress
Former Donald Trump trade adviser Peter Navarro has been convicted of contempt of Congress for not complying to a subpoena from the House select committee investigating the January 6, 2021, attack on the US Capitol.

Navarro is the second ex-aide to former President Donald Trump to be prosecuted for his lack of cooperation with the committee. Steve Bannon was convicted last year on two contempt counts. Bannon’s case is currently on appeal.
malchior

Post by malchior »

I've worked and currently work with FBI and ex-FBI guys. They are unfailingly professional and formal in general. They can be coarse when you get past the curtain like any other folk but in public? That's just the way they are trained. They are a model of what should be possible if we actually cared to have police standards.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

malchior wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 3:20 pm Sometimes it is worth checking out what the smooth brains are talking about. This is a fairly normal arrest but you have people talking about the modern SS. They are flat out nut jobs.

I wonder if any have been whisked away in unmarked vans-

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... orge-floyd
waitingtoconnect

Zarathud wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 8:34 pm I think it is a lie that the right wing conservatives who stormed the capitol were “necessitous” or left behind. They insist on privilege not given to others, especially those in BLM protests.

Yes, there are problems and inequities within rural areas and Red States. But Republican policy — and Trump MAGA in particular— just makes their situation worse.
Because the J6 protestors were largely following the ideals of one man.

What chance do many of us have to get well priced college tuition, health care or jobs paying more than $12/hr if not $8/hr? These people have been told their opportunity has been taken away by democrats and immigration by a strongman and his cronies.

Necessity can produce dictatorship, because the people are willing to allow whatever it takes to solve their immediate needs.

You cannot excuse the actions of the insurrectionists but such things evolve and we need to understand why.
For out of this modern civilization economic royalists carved new dynasties. New kingdoms were built upon concentration of control over material things. Through new uses of corporations, banks and securities, new machinery of industry and agriculture, of labor and capital—all undreamed of by the fathers—the whole structure of modern life was impressed into this royal service.

There was no place among this royalty for our many thousands of small business men and merchants who sought to make a worthy use of the American system of initiative and profit. They were no more free than the worker or the farmer. Even honest and progressive-minded men of wealth, aware of their obligation to their generation, could never know just where they fitted into this dynastic scheme of things.

It was natural and perhaps human that the privileged princes of these new economic dynasties, thirsting for power, reached out for control over Government itself. They created a new despotism and wrapped it in the robes of legal sanction. In its service new mercenaries sought to regiment the people, their labor, and their property. And as a result the average man once more confronts the problem that faced the Minute Man.

The hours men and women worked, the wages they received, the conditions of their labor—these had passed beyond the control of the people, and were imposed by this new industrial dictatorship. The savings of the average family, the capital of the small business man, the investments set aside for old age—other people's money—these were tools which the new economic royalty used to dig itself in.

Those who tilled the soil no longer reaped the rewards which were their right. The small measure of their gains was decreed by men in distant cities.

Throughout the Nation, opportunity was limited by monopoly. Individual initiative was crushed in the cogs of a great machine. The field open for free business was more and more restricted. Private enterprise, indeed, became too private. It became privileged enterprise, not free enterprise.

An old English judge once said: "Necessitous men are not free men." Liberty requires opportunity to make a living—a living decent according to the standard of the time, a living which gives man not only enough to live by, but something to live for.

For too many of us the political equality we once had won was meaningless in the face of economic inequality. A small group had concentrated into their own hands an almost complete control over other people's property, other people's money, other people's labor—other people's lives. For too many of us life was no longer free; liberty no longer real; men could no longer follow the pursuit of happiness.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

OOOoooooh! I bet he's TERRIFIED! All he has to do is look at what happened to Steve Bannon, who's been rotting in j....roaming around free, fomenting rebellion and eating sandwiches while dressed like an old timey hobo.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

This is too funny:

https://x.com/highbrow_nobrow/status/17 ... NcXCfN8s1g

“Garret Miller was wearing a T-shirt that said, “I Was There, Washington D.C., January 6, 2021,” when he was arrested on charges he stormed the U.S. Capitol on Jan. 6.”
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Thank you.

Is it so hard to change 'x' to 'twitter'?
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 6:40 pm Thank you.

Do you know how many times I've clicked that damned X to close the window?
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Kraken wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 9:40 pm

Do you know how many times I've clicked that damned X to close the window?
Yes. Yes I do. :oops:
malchior

Post by malchior »

Ray Epps finally charged but that definitely won't stop MAGA beliefs that he was a FBI informant who "entrapped" rioters.
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Or just, for the love of god, stop hotlinking to SaudiStormfront and post screenshots instead?

At this point I treat Twitter links the same as links to paywalled articles - I just skip and move on to the next post.