[Disney+] Loki

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

JCC

Re: [Disney+] Loki

Post by JCC »

Definitely my favorite ep of Loki this week. Still not sure I like it more than WV or F&WS but it's awesome.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

I really liked the
Spoiler:
illusory Asgard
moment in this week's episode. Surprisingly moving.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

So very nice:
Spoiler:
Glorious Purpose!
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Hamlet3145

Post by Hamlet3145 »

Loved the episode. Though I'm growing increasingly worried that
Spoiler:
this isn't going to end happily. Loki is either going to betray Sylvie in some way (perhaps even accidentally) or she is going to die at the hands of the power behind the TVA.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Hamlet3145 wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:31 am Loved the episode. Though I'm growing increasingly worried that
Spoiler:
this isn't going to end happily. Loki is either going to betray Sylvie in some way (perhaps even accidentally) or she is going to die at the hands of the power behind the TVA.
Spoiler:
Honestly I think the main factor here is whether Marvel plans to bring back Tom Hiddleston and/or the actress who plays Sylvie in future Marvel projects.

I do agree that the "I would never betray you" or whatever line suggests that: (1) one of them will betray the other in the finale; (2) one of them will think the other betrayed them; or (3) Tom Hiddleston's Loki will be tempted to betray Sylvie before making some type of dramatic sacrifice.
Black Lives Matter.
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

So who do you think is behind the whole thing?

1 - Kang the Conqueror
2 - Another Loki we haven't seen yet (this probably makes the most sense)
3 - Thanos (just because he's annoying and likes to be a part of everything)
4 - Alligator Loki (who deserves his own show)
5 - Gugu Mbatha Raw (still pissed off about her role on The Morning Show)
6 - Mephisto (for those of us wishing he had been in Wandavision)
Hamlet3145

Post by Hamlet3145 »

rittchard wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 12:14 pm So who do you think is behind the whole thing?

1 - Kang the Conqueror
2 - Another Loki we haven't seen yet (this probably makes the most sense)
3 - Thanos (just because he's annoying and likes to be a part of everything)
4 - Alligator Loki (who deserves his own show)
5 - Gugu Mbatha Raw (still pissed off about her role on The Morning Show)
6 - Mephisto (for those of us wishing he had been in Wandavision)

Enlarge Image
MHS

Post by MHS »

I don't know what it is, but this failed to connect with me after 3 episodes. I loved WV and like F&WS but this has disappointingly highlighted for me that Hiddleston (who I have crushed on through the Marvel movies) isn't a good enough actor on his own to carry something for me. Obviously everyone here feels otherwise.
Black Lives Matter. No human is illegal. Women's rights are human rights. Love is love. Science is real. Kindness is everything.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

It's probably Kang. Apparently in the comics Kang has ties to a lot of the characters on the show (including Alieth and Ravonna), plus Kang is confirmed to be in the next Ant-Man movie, and the creator for that movie noted that he had been collaborating with the Loki show runner.
Black Lives Matter.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

I think it will be a Loki variant, and the actions of this show will set up Kang. If we see him, it will be in an end credits scene. That’s my guess.
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

msteelers wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 4:33 am I think it will be a Loki variant, and the actions of this show will set up Kang. If we see him, it will be in an end credits scene. That’s my guess.
I think it's not a bad guess, since if it is Kang, we'll have exactly 1 hour for 2 protagonists to best a villain at least as powerful as Thanos.
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Freyland wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 11:45 am
msteelers wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 4:33 am I think it will be a Loki variant, and the actions of this show will set up Kang. If we see him, it will be in an end credits scene. That’s my guess.
I think it's not a bad guess, since if it is Kang, we'll have exactly 1 hour for 2 protagonists to best a villain at least as powerful as Thanos.
It could be both, I suppose - a Loki variant taking the lead in running the show (and acting as the prime villain) under the direction of Kang. I think it's reasonably likely that we see Kang at some point before the credits start. What I'm most confident about is that the TVA will lose control of the sacred timeline, even if it's not fully destroyed, given all the hints that multiverse shit's about to go down (including the Dr. Strange movie title).

Also as this points out, we could also wind up seeing He Who Remains in the finale. Decent chance that that's his castle that we saw at the end of the last episode.
Black Lives Matter.
malchior

Post by malchior »

I think it'd be He Who Remains. And I think it'll be strongly tied to the next Thor movie. It's possible they'll touch on this plot line a little in the Hawkeye series since this is an Avenger storyline just to keep it alive until Thor. All a faint hint of a guess but it makes way more sense to me than Kang.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Spoiler:
Elder Loki learned pain and suffering follow his actions. I think that’s key.

Loki variants trying to do good become the pawns of Kang. Burning down the TVA allows Kang freedom to realize his dreams as the big bad of MCU.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Spoiler:
One interesting way to write it would be for Loki and Sylvie to learn that the TVA, while cruel and sometimes misguided in how it does things, is serving an important purpose in protecting time from Kang / some greater threat.
So Loki / Sylvie / Moebius go in trying to burn the TVA down, but wind up trying to preserve it in some form.

One thing on Kang is that apparently in the comics Ravonna is a love interest and partner of his. Given that and given that Ravonna has been set up to become a villain, I think it's pretty likely that Ravonna will meet Kang as part of the finale, even if it winds up being a post-credit thing.
Black Lives Matter.
malchior

Post by malchior »

El Guapo wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 1:07 pm
Spoiler:
One thing on Kang is that apparently in the comics Ravonna is a love interest and partner of his. Given that and given that Ravonna has been set up to become a villain, I think it's pretty likely that Ravonna will meet Kang as part of the finale, even if it winds up being a post-credit thing.
I could see this happening.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

malchior wrote:I think it'd be He Who Remains.
If they go this route, I think they will mash up that character with someone we already know. Like either Loki or
Spoiler:
Mobius
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I could watch Richard E. Grant eat soup and be amused. He's such a great actor.

P.S.
Spoiler:
I must have missed it, but how did they get the timepad that got them out of the void? Did sylvie bring it with her when she pruned herself?

Also, impossible, I'm sure. But I immediately thought of Castle Doom at the end of this last episode.
Last edited by hepcat on Sat Jul 10, 2021 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
He won. Period.
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

That is correct.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Ah, thanks.
He won. Period.
Hamlet3145

Post by Hamlet3145 »

Watched the finale this morning.

I was surprised that . . .
Spoiler:
the force behind the TVA was actually a Kang variant, not a Loki variant, as that's kind of a big swerve for the final episode of the series.
However . . .
Spoiler:
this isn't the final episode of the series! Season 2 confirmed! Which is pretty necessary as we ended on a rather huge cliff hanger with, presumably, actual Kang the Conqueror (or a very similar variant) having taken over the TVA and re-written things to his liking.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

For a shorter episode there was a lot to unpack. This video does a great job.

What a great show this was and look forward to Season 2.

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

I'm so glad that the finale
Spoiler:
was a talk-fest instead of a Marvel special effects action extravaganza. Jonathan Majors was delightfully weird, and I'm looking forward to seeing more of (some version of) him.

I wish there was a stronger sense of resolution, though. Yes, Loki and Sylvie (love her) unraveled the mystery at the end of time, but that only set the table for future Marvel movies/TV shows.

My other misgiving is that Loki became so passive in the last half of the series. When the trickster god gives up on tricks, what's left? Tom Hiddleston's charisma is potent, but he hasn't been given much to work with, and I'm honestly not sure who the character is now.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Spoiler:
Yeah, this was probably the best finale yet for a Marvel series. Majors was great as Kang, so glad that they got that casting right.

That's a good point about Loki, though. The character's obviously in a transition, and the next step for season 2 isn't obvious. Making Loki into a pure selfless hero would be unsatisfying, but they can't have him go back to pure villainy either.
Black Lives Matter.
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

Spoiler:
I was surprised by how un-excited I was by this finale. On the surface it did everything I wanted, answered some big questions, resolved some things and opening tons of new doors. But I have to admit the talky nature was just a little too much (or too little) and I ended up falling asleep briefly. I rewound and watched again and fell asleep again. I'm still happy with the series and will gladly recommend it to people, but something in the last minutes of the talking just lulled me into unconsciousness lol.

What does interest/bother me more is kind of a side note. If this is the path to getting me X-Men, maybe resurrect Scarlett Johanson or whatever, I am 100% on board. What I don't like is that it kind of deflates the Endgame story (for me). Because that movie in this context basically already made use of the timeline branches to its advantage, only to now say well it's OK for those particular branches to exist because "someone" wanted it to be part of the "true" timeline. Kind of cheesy, isn't it? So now we've got uncontrolled branches, but what does that mean? Thanos can go pick a branch and redo it so he wins? But if he only wins in one branch, does that matter? There are branches where Black Widow lives, but if Scarlett doesn't sign a contract, does that matter? LOL, I am probably overthinking it.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

rittchard wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 12:17 pm
Spoiler:
I was surprised by how un-excited I was by this finale. On the surface it did everything I wanted, answered some big questions, resolved some things and opening tons of new doors. But I have to admit the talky nature was just a little too much (or too little) and I ended up falling asleep briefly. I rewound and watched again and fell asleep again. I'm still happy with the series and will gladly recommend it to people, but something in the last minutes of the talking just lulled me into unconsciousness lol.

What does interest/bother me more is kind of a side note. If this is the path to getting me X-Men, maybe resurrect Scarlett Johanson or whatever, I am 100% on board. What I don't like is that it kind of deflates the Endgame story (for me). Because that movie in this context basically already made use of the timeline branches to its advantage, only to now say well it's OK for those particular branches to exist because "someone" wanted it to be part of the "true" timeline. Kind of cheesy, isn't it? So now we've got uncontrolled branches, but what does that mean? Thanos can go pick a branch and redo it so he wins? But if he only wins in one branch, does that matter? There are branches where Black Widow lives, but if Scarlett doesn't sign a contract, does that matter? LOL, I am probably overthinking it.
Spoiler:
It's not clear to me *from when* the branches start spiking out. I assume they spring out from all over different points on the timeline. Presumably any branches that come out of the times leading up to the Avengers movies would have Thanos winning most of the time. And yeah, Thanos and others can start (and some probably will) hopping between timelines for fun and profit, hence the expectation of a new multiversal war.

It does also mean that (in true comics form) essentially no one character (or actor) is ever definitively dead, so they have to be a little careful to not remove any sense of story consequences. But it does also open up a ton of different story options.
One other question
Spoiler:
Did I understand it right that He Who Remains basically got Aliath to 'eat' all the other timelines in order to create the One True timeline?
Black Lives Matter.
Hamlet3145

Post by Hamlet3145 »

rittchard wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 12:17 pm
Spoiler:
So now we've got uncontrolled branches, but what does that mean?
Yeah, I think that is where I'm getting hung up too.
Spoiler:
I mean, on it's face this development seems quite a bit bigger than what Thanos did with the snap as this affects way more than one universe, but the consequences of Kang in charge of the TVA and/or a potential multi-verse war seem fuzzy. I need more info! And, I guess we have to wait until Spider Man: No Way Home for that? I doubt this stuff will be touched on at all in the Hawkeye or Ms. Marvel shows. Also, pretty doubtful for Shang-Chi. Maybe a hint of something with The Eternals? Doctor Strange 2 would seem to be the upcoming release that most directly addresses multi-verse issues, hence the full title: Multi-verse of Madness, but that is not until March of 2022. Grrrr.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Okay
Spoiler:
I really don't like their Kang. The actor thinks he's in a James Gunn movie, which would be fine if James Gunn were writing him. But he's not, so we get scampering, goofy Kang who jumps up on desks and likes to crouch on things...a lot. He's not Kang the Conquerer, he's Kang the budget kid's party clown. The only thing that could possibly make me like this version of the character is if the other Kangs don't act like that.

P.S. if you're gonna go for eccentric and goofy lord of time, they should have just gone all out and mimicked Dr. Tyme.

He won. Period.
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

hepcat wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 8:58 pm Okay
Spoiler:
I really don't like their Kang. The actor thinks he's in a James Gunn movie, which would be fine if James Gunn were writing him. But he's not, so we get scampering, goofy Kang who jumps up on desks and likes to crouch on things...a lot. He's not Kang the Conquerer, he's Kang the budget kid's party clown. The only thing that could possibly make me like this version of the character is if the other Kangs don't act like that.

P.S. if you're gonna go for eccentric and goofy lord of time, they should have just gone all out and mimicked Dr. Tyme.

Spoiler:
I didn't enjoy him at all, either. But I guess you live that long and know that you are *finally* about to move on, you could get a little punchy. Also, him being buffoon-y will greatly contrast with all the melodramatic Kangs we get to meet.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

For hepcat - except he wasn't the one you're used to or think of. He was a variant himself.

Regardless, I really, really enjoyed this series along with Wandavision and the Falcon and Winter Solider. I was initially feeling kinda meh about my D+ subscription, but between these three shows and the Mandalorian, I'm happy to give them money.

It really puts a different perspective on the Netflix Marvel shows. Even the best seasons of the random shows weren't nearly as good as what all three of these have consistently delivered.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I really hope thats the case and we get a big bad who doesn't
Spoiler:
crouch on furniture and call people baby.
He won. Period.
Hamlet3145

Post by Hamlet3145 »

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
I'm assuming (hoping) actual Kang will be played quite a bit differently. What we saw was a version of He Who Remains/Immortus who had gone loopy after who knows how many eons of living in his little time castle.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Hamlet3145 wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:18 am
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
I'm assuming (hoping) actual Kang will be played quite a bit differently. What we saw was a version of He Who Remains/Immortus who had gone loopy after who knows how many eons of living in his little time castle.
I agree and I liked his performance considering those circumstances.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I hope you're right as
Spoiler:
I just don't see myself being too intimidated by a big bad who has to be put into rooms without furniture for fear he'll leap onto them at any second and call you "dude" or something.
He won. Period.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Boy, you really have a thing with people jumping onto furniture.
Black Lives Matter.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

You spend the day cleaning. You work your fingers to the bone trying to get the fabric on your dining room chairs clean. Then some time god asshat drops by and leaps up on one of those chairs...WITHOUT REMOVING HIS SHOES...and you're okay with that?

What if Thanos showed up at your house one day and started jumping up and down on your bed? How would you react if Mysterio double dipped on the nachos at your dinner party?

Goddamn it, you're either for law and order or you're an agent of chaos!

<whew...need to lay off the coffee this morning>
He won. Period.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Doesn't that make him more of a villain, though?
Black Lives Matter.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Oh man, you're right! This means my friend Joel is a goddamn supervillain as he NEVER takes his shoes off when he comes over, even when it's raining. And more than once I've found the hand towel in my bathroom just bunched into a ball instead of laid out neatly the way he found it!

Friggin' Thanos Joel.
He won. Period.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

I figured there was some traumatic event in your past that made you hate table jumpers.

Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

This is where you underestimate the severity of the issue. It wasn't JUST tables. It was chairs as well. AND A DESK! I really don't appreciate your attempt to downplay things.
He won. Period.