[Disney+] Loki

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Freyland

Re: [Disney+] Loki

Post by Freyland »

I'm starting to suspect that Hepcat has a traumatic experience in the zoo's Primate enclosure in his youth.
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Freyland wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 4:47 pm I'm starting to suspect that Hepcat has a traumatic experience in the zoo's Primate enclosure in his youth.
And glue was involved.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
malchior

Post by malchior »

Hamlet3145 wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:18 am
hepcat wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 8:58 pm Okay
Spoiler:
I really don't like their Kang. The actor thinks he's in a James Gunn movie, which would be fine if James Gunn were writing him. But he's not, so we get scampering, goofy Kang who jumps up on desks and likes to crouch on things...a lot. He's not Kang the Conquerer, he's Kang the budget kid's party clown. The only thing that could possibly make me like this version of the character is if the other Kangs don't act like that.

P.S. if you're gonna go for eccentric and goofy lord of time, they should have just gone all out and mimicked Dr. Tyme.

Spoiler:
I'm assuming (hoping) actual Kang will be played quite a bit differently. What we saw was a version of He Who Remains/Immortus who had gone loopy after who knows how many eons of living in his little time castle.
Spoiler:
This was my exact take. They blatantly implied we'll be seeing multiple Kang's of varying temperments. He'll be popping into multiple storylines even if it's just cameos (and within the reasonable dictates of contract appearances. :) )
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Freyland wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 4:47 pm I'm starting to suspect that Hepcat has a traumatic experience in the zoo's Primate enclosure in his youth.
Remember those Samsonite commercials from all those years ago? Did you really think those suitcases were empty?
Covfefe!
JCC

Post by JCC »

So I have been at the beach for a week so watched the last 2 eps of Loki with a buddy today. I loved the 5th episode but the finale left both of us a bit cold. Too talky for sure. Still liked the show quite a bit overall but by far my least favorite of the three - though clearly this is really shaping up the next phase(s) of the MCU the most.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Loki scene was entirely improvised.

Apparently they basically let Jonathan Majors improvise his major scene in the final episode. INCLUDING:
"He was never meant to get on the desk," Herron recently told Entertainment Weekly in an interview. "That was the fun thing with the improvisation. [The camera team] saw him start to move, and Autumn [Durald] was like, 'Okay…' and then you saw the cameras start to move; it was almost like a dance with him. But that was not planned. It just blew us away because it was just so cool."

Herron went on to add that Majors propelled his characters to all-new heights, most of which she and the rest of the team didn't quite expect.

"That was the fun thing with him: I love the way he brought movement to the character in different ways, because I think that was really important as well," Herron added. "Where are we going to go for that big energy moment? Where are we going to draw people in? I love the bit when he sinks into the chair and he's like, 'I'm old and I'm tired,' and you feel his frailness in a way, you feel his aging, [even though] he's obviously a young man."
:shock: :shock: :shock:
Black Lives Matter.
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Anyone who can improvise teleporting is okay in my book!
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

I watch the last couple episodes of Loki to prep for the upcoming Antman flick, and boy, Jonathan Majors is the real deal. He single-handedly sells that series conclusion.

I really hope he's given good material to work with in the movie, although based on what I've seen in the trailer, I'm keeping my expectations in check.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Season 2 is upon you.

--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

The second season of Loki premieres on Disney+ on October 6, 2023.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Mobius better f'ing get to ride a jet ski this season.
Black Lives Matter.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

I was so confused by the end of Season 1, I barely remember what the whole point of Jonathan Majors and his character was...
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

gilraen wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 10:41 pm I was so confused by the end of Season 1, I barely remember what the whole point of Jonathan Majors and his character was...
Spoiler:
IIRC the backstory was that there had been a major interdimensional (inter-timeline?) war in the past.
Jonathan Majors character in season 1 was He Who Remains, who was a Kang variant who essentially won that war and who as a result was the last (I think?) Kang variant. To prevent another interdimensional war (and/or to preserve his own power) he established the Time Variant Authority (TVA) who basically cut off all alternate timelines as they began to form, thereby establishing only one "sacred timeline" and preventing variants and alternate timelines, thereby preventing inter-dimensional conflict.

But at the end of season 1 Sophie killed He Who Remains, thereby stopping the TVA's work and allowing alternate timelines to start forming again. So the Kang(s) in this season, like the Kangs in Ant Man 3, are variants of Majors' season 1 character, and not the same character.
Black Lives Matter.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

El Guapo wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 12:38 pm
Spoiler:
But at the end of season 1 Sophie killed He Who Remains, thereby stopping the TVA's work and allowing alternate timelines to start forming again. So the Kang(s) in this season, like the Kangs in Ant Man 3, are variants of Majors' season 1 character, and not the same character.
Oh...okay, thanks :D The Ant Man movie suddenly makes a lot more sense.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

So...I'm watching S1 to try to remember it and wondering if I found a huge plothole or if I'm not understanding.
If they prune variants as soon as they stray off their path, how is Slyive even alive?
Shouldn't the Sacred Timeline Loki be male and they should have pruned her at birth or even conception?
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Disregard. Next episode had Lil Kickass, I mean little Loki, and explained it a bit.
Still seems lazy on their part to wait until she was a child but maybe just being female Loki wasn't enough to trigger an alarm but I would think it would trigger an alarm sooner then it did.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I thought maybe I was being too critical when I railed against Jonathan Major’s performance at the end of season 1….
Spoiler:
but good god his stilted delivery is just such an annoying affectation in season 2. I know he’s a good actor, but sheesh. Dial it back, man.
Covfefe!
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

hepcat wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 9:42 pm I thought maybe I was being too critical when I railed against Jonathan Major’s performance at the end of season 1….
Spoiler:
but good god his stilted delivery is just such an annoying affectation in season 2. I know he’s a good actor, but sheesh. Dial it back, man.
Really? I enjoyed his performance. I imagine it's a challenge with variants to do something to distinguish each one from the others without lapsing into like a Walken Family Reunion type bit. I thought the delivery
Spoiler:
Tied him a bit to He Who Remains (since I gather that Victor Timely is supposed to become him. Or He.) while distinguishing him enough to make him a different person (currently).
Black Lives Matter.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

So far, Season 2 of Loki is... OK. Lots of plot -- so much plot, too much plot -- but little-to-no character development.

I appreciate that they're leaning hard into TVA weirdness, and it's almost always interesting, but the characters haven't engaged me nearly as much as in the first season.
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

AWS260 wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 9:34 am So far, Season 2 of Loki is... OK. Lots of plot -- so much plot, too much plot -- but little-to-no character development.

I appreciate that they're leaning hard into TVA weirdness, and it's almost always interesting, but the characters haven't engaged me nearly as much as in the first season.
I really enjoyed Season 1. I have no idea what they're doing with Season 2. There certainly is not a lot of Loki in a series named Loki. I don't give two shits about He Who Remains or Ravonna and I'm not sure why they're focusing Season 2 on them instead of, I dunno, Loki?

It's not Ahsoka or ObiWan bad (or Secret Invasion. ugh) but I'm only watching because it's MCU.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I dunno, I'm enjoying it. Partly that's because Tom Hiddleston and Owen Wilson are so consistently great. The plot is a little all over the place this season vs. last, but at least it's not super predictable.

I will say I'm a little confused about what exactly the Temporal Loom does when they're no longer pruning timelines, and why exactly it's so important.
Black Lives Matter.
disarm

Post by disarm »

El Guapo wrote:I will say I'm a little confused about what exactly the Temporal Loom does when they're no longer pruning timelines, and why exactly it's so important.
The Loom powers and sustains the TVA, a 'world' that exists outside normal time and space. Without the Loom, the entire TVA (meaning as a place and not just people or policing entity) ceases to exist.

Would this be a bad thing? That depends a lot on whether or not you believe 'He Who Remains,' but it's definitely important to the main cast who don't want to be wiped out of existence or see some version of Kang become supreme ruler.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

disarm wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 12:02 pm
El Guapo wrote:I will say I'm a little confused about what exactly the Temporal Loom does when they're no longer pruning timelines, and why exactly it's so important.
The Loom powers and sustains the TVA, a 'world' that exists outside normal time and space. Without the Loom, the entire TVA (meaning as a place and not just people or policing entity) ceases to exist.

Would this be a bad thing? That depends a lot on whether or not you believe 'He Who Remains,' but it's definitely important to the main cast who don't want to be wiped out of existence or see some version of Kang become supreme ruler.
Interesting. I thought they made it sound like rhe loom was also holding the multiverse together and that the multiverse was going to collapse not just the tva.
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Most recent episode actually focused on Loki and was by far the most entertaining of Season 2.

Hopeful for the finale this week
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Punisher wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 1:50 pm
disarm wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 12:02 pm

Interesting. I thought they made it sound like rhe loom was also holding the multiverse together and that the multiverse was going to collapse not just the tva.
Spoiler:
Apparently so, but I'm still confused as to why. The multiverse existed since before the TVA and He Who Remains and all that, right? I thought the story was that there was this multiversal war, and He Who Remains essentially won it, and he created the TVA and started pruning the timelines in order to essentially prevent more variants of himself from spawning and to avoid any future multiversal wars (and, you know, so that he would remain in perpetual control of everything, if you're cynical).

So my understanding at least from the first season is that destroying the TVA would cause the multiverse to reform, thereby generating future Kang Variants (which it has), and could result in a new multi-versal war. But why is reality seemingly coming undone? Was there damage to the universe from the Multi-Versal War as well?
Black Lives Matter.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I haven't checked in for a few episodes. Do you have a running tally of furniture that Kang awkwardly mounted during his scenes?
Covfefe!
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

The finale - specifically, the end of the finale - is definitely the peak of Season 2 for me. We finally get some character development, which culminates in a really wonderful revelation. It's top-notch Marvel, by which I mean Marvel Comics, not the MCU.

In sum, Season 2 has been interesting, but not great, until the very end, where it gets great.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I concur. I was basically semi watching this season...until the final moments of the final episode. Then it went back to remembering that Loki is a friggin' god. My biggest complaint with this show is his power level seemed to wax and wane (mostly wane) depending on who he was up against. Fighting normal guards with electric batons, he's suddenly human level powers; fighting something bigger? Well...still actually human level powers.

But that final episode? Nice.
Covfefe!
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

hepcat wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 10:46 am I concur. I was basically semi watching this season...until the final moments of the final episode. Then it went back to remembering that Loki is a friggin' god. My biggest complaint with this show is his power level seemed to wax and wane (mostly wane) depending on who he was up against. Fighting normal guards with electric batons, he's suddenly human level powers; fighting something bigger? Well...still actually human level powers.

If you're referring to his fights at the TVA, they block all magik there.
When he is outside of the TVA he does use his Magik on and off but we've seen him just fight with his daggers in the movies too.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Punisher wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 12:20 pm
hepcat wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 10:46 am I concur. I was basically semi watching this season...until the final moments of the final episode. Then it went back to remembering that Loki is a friggin' god. My biggest complaint with this show is his power level seemed to wax and wane (mostly wane) depending on who he was up against. Fighting normal guards with electric batons, he's suddenly human level powers; fighting something bigger? Well...still actually human level powers.

When he is outside of the TVA he does use his Magik on and off but we've seen him just fight with his daggers in the movies too.

One of my favorite small scenes from season 1 showed off the power of the TVA.
Spoiler:
A desk drawer was opened and among the usual office desk items were a bunch of Infinity Stones haphazardly scattered around.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

$iljanus wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 2:47 pm
Punisher wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 12:20 pm

One of my favorite small scenes from season 1 showed off the power of the TVA.
Spoiler:
A desk drawer was opened and among the usual office desk items were a bunch of Infinity Stones haphazardly scattered around.
IIRC, in the comics at least, Infinity Stones don't work across universes. So a stone from 616 is nothing but a nice looking gem in 476.
Since the TVA is outside of time I suspect they don't actually do anything there anyway.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I guess I'll go against what I'm reading here and suggest the entirety of S2 was awesome, not just the final episode. Ke Huy Quan was a fantastic addition to the cast, I think he added some levity to what I'm interpreting as a heavy and serious storyline for this season.

This is what's so frustrating about the Marvel stuff. I think this was high quality across the categories - writing, acting, pacing, etc... and worth the time investment. Really reinforces how half-assed Secret Invasion was, imho; this show was on a whole different level.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Just realized that I didn't post my opinion.
My wife and I liked ot a lot. Definitely better than secret invasion. We are both huge fans of loki though so keep that in mind.
Just hated the ending because it looks like thats it for loki. He had a grat arc but still disappointing that its most likely 9ver.
The rest of the cast was great too and enjoyed everyone.
The plot was hard for me to follow a lot but I just sat back to enjoy the ride.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 1:06 pm I guess I'll go against what I'm reading here and suggest the entirety of S2 was awesome, not just the final episode. Ke Huy Quan was a fantastic addition to the cast, I think he added some levity to what I'm interpreting as a heavy and serious storyline for this season.

This is what's so frustrating about the Marvel stuff. I think this was high quality across the categories - writing, acting, pacing, etc... and worth the time investment. Really reinforces how half-assed Secret Invasion was, imho; this show was on a whole different level.
I agree. Part of that is that the cast of Loki is just so fantastic - Tom Hiddleston, Owen Wilson, and Ke Huy Quan in particular. I will say that the first season I thought was a tighter more focused story whereas season 2 was a little more meandering at times, but still really good.

FWIW I think Loki is the best Marvel show. Only other real contenders are Wandavision and (to a lesser degree) Hawkeye.
Black Lives Matter.
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

The last two episodes were good but the season felt like 3 episodes of good content stretched across 6 episodes.

Which is 3 more good episodes than Secret Invasion had - so, progress! :mrgreen:
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

El Guapo wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 3:54 pm
Smoove_B wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 1:06 pm I guess I'll go against what I'm reading here and suggest the entirety of S2 was awesome, not just the final episode. Ke Huy Quan was a fantastic addition to the cast, I think he added some levity to what I'm interpreting as a heavy and serious storyline for this season.

I agree. Part of that is that the cast of Loki is just so fantastic - Tom Hiddleston, Owen Wilson, and Ke Huy Quan in particular.
True...and don't think I didn't notice that you left out Jonathan Majors. Perhaps you're finally realizing just how annoying his acting was in this show? :P
Covfefe!