Mass Effect Legendary Edition

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

JCC

Re: Mass Effect Legendary Edition

Post by JCC »

So, caved to curiosity and bought a current XBox controller and a bluetooth USB dongle (my gaming PC is old with no built in bluetooth!). After going through the requisite (extreme) frustration of getting the dongle to work. (Had to do a Windows update, then after the reboot there was an Update for the Broadcom USB adapter [thanks google] and then it would finally connect to Windows. And... the new controller works perfectly in ME2. (no double A button presses and I can do the hacking mini-game fine). So, I guess my trusty 360 controllers are becoming obsolete. I don't really understand why, but whatever. The new controller does feel a hair better than my old ones, so I guess it's a win. I suppose I better get a rechargeable battery pack for this thing...

Anyway, having even more fun with ME2 now that a controller works. I couldn't figure out how to sprint with the keyboard (hold down A on the controller when running). Conversely, I can't quicksave with the controller. Sigh... nothing is perfect. ME2 is way more fun than the original, though the mining gets really old - and in fact it's much faster with the mouse. I guess I will still use the mouse for that - haven't mined any planets yet since I swapped to the controller.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I have to get a new controller one day soon. My old 360 one has a short in the wire. Ive got a rubberband on it right now that helps. Ive looked around and finding a real 360 controller for anything less than $50 is impossible. It appears when I do save up Ill be getting a Xbox One or something controller. I hope it feels good cause I love my 360 one. I can barely stand the PS4 one .
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I loved my 360 controller until I developed the same short. The XB1 controller I replaced it with is even better. It isn't a completely new design. It's more of an update to the old design, so it feels almost the same. It's replaced the 360 controller as my personal 'best PC controller' ever.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
disarm

Post by disarm »

If you're looking at close to $50 for a 360 controller, just go with one of the new Series X/S controllers. They really are a significant improvement since the 360, with a great feel and a number of earlier problems supposedly fixed. Add in integrated Bluetooth (missing from earlier controllers), and it's really a no-brainer.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Maybe it's just the experience of playing all three games back-to-back (instead of years apart, like I did before), but I'm really struggling with ME3. Mainly because it feels incredibly unfocused compared to the first two games.

In ME1, you had a straight shot through the story, with some optional side quests that were all very clear on where and how to begin them. ME2 threw a lot at you, but between good descriptions in the Journal and obvious signposts on the Galaxy Map, there was never a question where I needed to go or what I needed to do in order to get a quest (main or side) started. There were always a bunch of unique things to discover once I actually got there, but starting, accepting, and advancing quests was never difficult.

ME3 is far, far more unfocused in it's general structure. I have a Journal full of quests that I have picked up simply by overhearing conversations around the Citadel. I have no idea if I've actually missed a quest because there's no indicator that you'll get one until a random journal entry pops up as you wander around. These quests can often be frustratingly vague, with quest objectives like "find the artifact" or "repair the power grid" with no indicator of where or how to start that process. You do get contextual clues from the conversation you overhear, but when you're picking up a half dozen of these random quests in 30 minutes, it can be really tough to keep track of these small bits of overheard dialog. I've also had two occasions where NPC conversations either overlapped each other or were interrupted by a dialog with another NPC, so I couldn't really hear what I was supposed to do. The journal provides no clues at all either, nor does the Galaxy Map, which are both a huge difference from ME2's excellent journal and clearly labeled map.

Thankfully the ME3 main quests are pretty obvious, but all of the side quests - which were such a strong part of ME2 - are just a mish-mash of...stuff. There's no indicator of what I can expect from any given side quest. Will this one gain me a party member? Who knows. Is this an important side quest or just busywork? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

One of the big reasons I enjoyed the first two games so much was because there was never a time where my options on how to progress weren't crystal clear. ME3 is the exact opposite, expecting the player to randomly stumble over things to do, then leaving you on your own to figure out how to actually do them. It's an extremely unwelcome change, tbh.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

AWS260 wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 11:09 pm I'm really interested in playing this, but that disk space requirement - 120 GB! After much scrimping and trimming, I have made 125 GB available on my SSD. But I'm pretty sure that leaving so little free space would tank my performance.

I really, really, wish they had split the games into separate downloads.
It turns out that the actual install size is closer to 105 GB, so I'm good to go. Excellent.
JCC

Post by JCC »

ME2 Spoilers in this post. I am not going to hide my comments since the game is so old.

"Finished" ME2 last night. But, lost Mordin which is unacceptable so I am going to redo my finish. I had forgotten that once you do the penultimate main quest (where you get Geth), you damn well better have done all previous side quests (or just not do them) or you begin to lose crew members. I think I am going to live with the missing crew members since I don't want to go that far back. But, I forgot to do the Geth quests, so I am going to go back and to just before I finished and do Geth's quests and then redo the final mission without hopefully losing any companions (that I like). Great game. Probably the best in the series since the ending doesn't shit all over itself.

Maybe with age I will have mellowed and the ending of ME3 won't enrage me so much. Oh well, first I will have to re-finish ME2.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
JCC

Post by JCC »

So, amusingly, I had to replay the ending of ME2 twice last night! I took Mordin with me on all of the missions in the big finale, so he survived but TALI DIED~! ARGH. So tried again and took them both on all the missions and everyone survived! YAY~! Except my poor crew where only the Doctor lived. Oops, never should have done that penultimate main quest when I did. Oh well. Started 3 last night and it's a lot of fun but when they showed that kid in the prologue I was shuddering in terror. It's funny that I really don't remember the story well at all - except for that damn ending. It totally overshadowed everything else from the game for me.
Black Lives Matter

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

My last two play throughs of 3 I used the Happy Ending Mod. Still not that happy but livable. Id prefer to assemble that huge giant ass fleet and actually just use it to kick Reaper ass.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Ah, the Rambo Ending Mod.
JCC

Post by JCC »

So after today's patch (which took forever on Origin to install), I am having issues with ME3. It plays fine for a while and then it becomes a slide show. I played it all day yesterday without issues. The controller becomes pretty much unresponsive. I can use the mouse to escape to the menu, but can't even move the mouse pointer to select a menu option. I have to alt-tab out, force close it and restart. Anyone else running into this? I am specifically playing the mission where you save the biotic students taught by Jack.
Black Lives Matter

JCC

Post by JCC »

So, I figured out what was going on with the slide show framerate drops. Turns out it had nothing to do with the patch. It was (apparently) an issue with the batteries that came with my new controller getting low. I could resolve the slide show by powering off/on the controller. Thankfully, my rechargeable battery packs for the new controller arrived today, so once they were charged and I popped one in, the problem didn't return.

Wshew! I have known this for a long time but PC gaming isn't for the faint of heart!

Spent most of my night just running around the Citadel doing mundane quests. I kind of miss the complete hand holding in ME2. It may have been a bit TOO easy to know where to go, but I end up spending tons of time looking up where to go now in ME3. The Citadel stuff was tedious. Only ended up doing one mission where I actually had to explore somewhere and shoot things. It's also irritating that systems I could travel to in previous games are not accessible on the galaxy map because... well there is no reason other than the devs say so. We shouldn't be given the quests for this system until they are accessible. None of this would matter much if it weren't for the Bioware game of dangling side quests that can be broken, or unfinishable, or ruin your ending if you dare to do a main quest with side quests in your backlog. It makes using walkthroughs pretty much required... All this for a game whose ending I hate. LOL. Still when I am not just running around hallways in the Citadel it's fun!
Black Lives Matter

NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Yeah, ME 3 always bugged me a little with regards to the side quests. You never know when you're going to miss out on something or get locked out of something, so what I wound up doing was, after every actual deployment, I'd a) do a lap around the citadel to see if there was anyone new to talk to and b) obsessively check the starmap for any new systems. That's because my first playthrough I got locked out of a couple of side quests when I fell for the "it's urgent" trick for one of the main quests.

But the actual planet-side missions are pretty epic.
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

That was sorta me with the npcs on my ship. After every main mission Id do a big circle of the ship and talk to everyone. Takes a lot of time but you do get new dialogs and maybe some side missions.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

And...done. Took right around 80 hours to complete the entire trilogy. it's a hell of a ride playing all three games back to back like that. The moments (small and large), stories, and events just hit differently when it's one contiguous story instead of playing the games years apart. I left feeling a little sad that I had come to end of such an amazing, epic story (as I always do when a series like this wraps up).

I still think ME2 was by far the best of the trilogy, striking a perfect balance between story, quests, and characters. The ending of ME3 is still kinda lame, but the wrap-up bits they added on afterwards were a nice touch (that may have been in the original, but I didn't remember it). Maybe I'll do a Renegade playthrough down the road at some point, but I'm quite satisfied to wrap up the ME story on that note. It was cool to play through all the DLC that I missed as well, as I typically don't do DLC unless it comes as part of a "Legendary" or "Game of they Year" edition. The Citadel mission was probably my favorite, with some truly hilarious moments.

If I were to grade the games, ME1 would be a B-, ME2 would be an A+, and ME3 would be a B. Big props to the remastering team as well, they truly did a fantastic job bringing all three games up to modern standards.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ive played full hero and full renegade multiple times. I think next go one day Ill just play by ear...a bit of both depending on the situation.
JCC

Post by JCC »

So, for the second time, I have finished the ME trilogy. The games are great. ME1 is the most improved but the Mako while better still sucks. Plus all the side quest planet exploration (in the Mako) gets REAL old REAL quick. ME 2 is probably the best, most completely great game. ME 3 is also awesome except for... well you know.

Playing the DLC was fun. I think I had the Shadow Broker DLC my first time through 2, but that's it. The Citadel DLC Party before the final ending was highly amusing.

(Some spoilers. It's very old so not tagging it.)
So, let's talk about the ending. I *hated* it the first time I played it. As I get older I tend to mellow and have often revisited endings to various TV, movies, and games and I find that the "horrible" ending just doesn't bother me as much now. That is definitely NOT the case with Mass Effect. I still can't believe they gave us a "pick ending A, B, or C (and now or D)" choice. So lame. I still think it flies in the fact of everything this game series and Bioware are/were about. Ok, I probably don't mind it QUITE as much this time. (I think the first time I chose Destroy (but I honestly don't remember). This time I picked Synthesis - in part because I couldn't bear to kill EDI.)

Having said all that as I get older I come more and more to understand that it's more about the journey than the destination. In that respect the ME Trilogy is fantastic. I think I am going to immediately start a replay of Andromeda (which I liked fine the first time). In fact it is installing as I type.
Black Lives Matter

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I didn't love the ending, either. But the last ten minutes wasn't enough to spoil the eighty hours leading up to it.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ruined the feeling of the entire series to me. All that Id done and accomplished and it came down to 3 colors and some mystic hooey. I still love the games and have finished them about 4 or 5 times. and will again. But Im glad I can sorta change the ending with mods and did for my last 2 plays. I wish I could just dump the color crap and fight them head on galactic fleet style. That would mean all my work meant something and that we ...all the species....could overcome our faults and win. Bioware fucked it up and never admitted it. Hate them for that. And they've failed since then on everything.

EDIT: Except Inquisition. I really enjoyed that.
Last edited by Daehawk on Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JCC

Post by JCC »

Blackhawk wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:56 pm I didn't love the ending, either. But the last ten minutes wasn't enough to spoil the eighty hours leading up to it.
Agreed. Still, someone with sanity working on the game should have stepped in and said "Can't we just give them an ending where the good guys win without it sucking?"
Black Lives Matter

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:17 pm And they've failed since then on everything.

EDIT: Except Inquisition. I really enjoyed that.
That means they screwed up on only two games (Andromeda and Anthem.) And I wouldn't disagree with that - but that's only two games, one of which a lot of people think is excellent (not many people say that about Anthem.) It's not enough for me to say that the studio has fallen.

Years ago they also flubbed Dragon Age 2, then came back with more great games later. The Old Republic, most of ME3, Inquisition. Most developers have games that aren't great mixed into a series of great titles. The only ones that don't are the ones that are picky and polishy that they don't release games very often, and cancel more than they ship (Blizzard and Valve come to mind.)

If the next game is also the half-baked mess that Andromeda and Anthem were, then I'll start to question them.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Also, unless they're scripted and linear, video games are incredibly difficult to write endings for. Movies and series fail the ending all the time, and they have complete control over the narrative. A non-linear game has thousands of possible combinations of actions that are expected to be brought together, and it's an almost impossible task to nail all of them.

FWIW, not one Bethesda Game Studios title has ever had a good ending. Not even once.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

To me its as if Blizzard has been dead for 15 years.

And I could have written an ending that I liked to ME3. Like say that huge fleet vs the reapers. Stuff is dying and blowing up. Somewhere during the game you've discovered that the very first reaper is in there somewhere and is acting as a control unit. Would be overwhelming if not . Then go for it and save the galaxy with a few twists and turns in it.

They simply went "Well we got these super overwhelming powerful machines what do we do? How do they fight that?" and someone says "We dont just give them some colors and call it "
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

See, for me, your ending would have seemed terrible. It's an 80s ending with a big battle and people in the control room cheering when all hope seemed lost. It wouldn't have fit the theme of the game to me - about last ditch efforts, about fighting against impossible odds with hard decisions and sacrifice. About having to choose between the easy but terrible solution or the difficult but 'moral' solution. Ending that with a cool 'lasers and explosions!' battle wouldn't have been satisfying at all. In my ending, the plebs in the control room would have walked out cheering, but the few in there who realized what had just happened would be sitting there weeping.

That isn't to say that your ending sucks, just that it would have sucked for me. That's the problem with writing an ending. Different people find different things satisfying. I don't think they so much wrote themselves into a corner so much as they wrote themselves into a void with so many possibilities that there was no way out. They fumbled something together, probably after a week of 20-hour shifts, that seemed like the best idea at the time. It obviously wasn't, but I also don't think there could have been an ending that satisfied everyone. My ending would have bored you. Your ending would have felt wrong to me. Both of our endings would have made the next guy think we're assholes.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

JCC wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:43 pm (Some spoilers. It's very old so not tagging it.)
So, let's talk about the ending. I *hated* it the first time I played it. As I get older I tend to mellow and have often revisited endings to various TV, movies, and games and I find that the "horrible" ending just doesn't bother me as much now. That is definitely NOT the case with Mass Effect. I still can't believe they gave us a "pick ending A, B, or C (and now or D)" choice. So lame. I still think it flies in the fact of everything this game series and Bioware are/were about. Ok, I probably don't mind it QUITE as much this time. (I think the first time I chose Destroy (but I honestly don't remember). This time I picked Synthesis - in part because I couldn't bear to kill EDI.)

Interestingly, I didn't mind the ending the first time I played through years ago. I thought it was a bit anti-climatic, but didn't actively dislike it.

This time around, however, I liked it significantly less (I also picked synthesis). Maybe it's because I've spent years listening to everyone griping about it, but it felt far more unsatisfying this time than it did before. That could also have to do with the fact it was wrapping up a contiguous 80 hour story, rather than just the ME3 segment.

Not a dealbreaker by any means, but I came away with a stronger feeling of dislike this time than I did before.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

I wrapped up ME3 at 1am last night. Definitely should not have started the final mission so late in the evening, but once I did, I had to see it through.

Just like a decade ago, I really enjoyed the trilogy. I didn't feel as much attachment to my Shepard this time around, since I knew the major story beats and was mainly trying to make different choices, but it was still affecting. Especially the incidental conversations in ME3 - the ones you can eavesdrop on when you're walking around the sentinel. The commando with PTSD, the senile old lady whose son is MIA, the soldier about to ship out for the front lines... some of them are quite moving if you take the time to hear to whole story.

I think it's safe to say that this will be my last time playing the Mass Effect trilogy. It's great, but cranking through three lengthy video games in a single month is a lot for me these days.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

JCC wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:43 pm (Some spoilers. It's very old so not tagging it.)
You need to remember that the current ending is not the original - the ending you have now is the revised "Extended Cut". The outcry about the original was so bad that they gave you a DLC that was less worse (that's the only way it could be described) than the true original ending. The ORIGINAL ending had the Normandy crash on a planet after the battle with no idea of what happened after the battle. Then you got a scene of the night sky with what sounded like Liara's voice telling a child about "the Shepard' who saved the universe long ago. The implication seemed to be that the Normandy crew was stranded on the planet and colonized it, cut off from the rest of the galaxy and Liara, being a long lived Asari, was telling a child about the "mythic" past. That was it.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I dont think Liara was 'grandpa'....anyways for some reason that alwats felt like an old american indian passing down a story for some reason. Maybe it was the accent or something.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

The extended cut still doesn't fix the stupidity of the reveal that someone decided to respond to an inevitable cycle of synthetic life rebelling against and destroying organic life by....creating a bunch of synthetic beings that would periodically destroy organic life. Solid solution, chief.
Black Lives Matter.
JCC

Post by JCC »

Agreed. And, I just didn't like the get to the end and it's choose ending A, B, or C. WEAK. The DLC to improve the ending doesn't help with that. And the stupid dream sequences where you chase the little kid that foreshadow it are dumb too. Just let us win the damn war!
Black Lives Matter

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

This was a pretty interesting infographic about the choices players have made in ME.

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

So... I should play a ruthless colonist FemShep engineer with Kaidan next time.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Sucks that they make you choose between Ashely and Kaidan. They're both terrible characters, for different reasons (Ashley's a jingoistic xenophobe, and Kaidan's just annoying as hell). There should be a way I can get rid of them both.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Kaiden sucks.
Black Lives Matter.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Ashley sucks; Kaiden is bland but fine.
Hipolito

Post by Hipolito »

I'm about to play Mass Effect for the first time and need some help deciding which class to play. (I've already decided I'll be a renegade femshep.)

I'm not into shooters and don't want to play a class that's fiddly. I want to let my squadmates do most of the work. But I also want to feel powerfully badass.

Maybe Infiltrator would be good, since I could sit back and snipe enemies while my squadmates rush in and finish the job. And I do like sniping.

Maybe Sentinel, so I can cast spells to debuff the enemies and support my squadmates while they do the dirty work. Sentinels get a lot of powerful and useful spells. But maybe spellcasting is fiddly.

I pray for your input.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Be an engineer. Not many play that :)
Ashley sucks
Point to her then.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Blackhawk wrote:So... I should play a ruthless colonist FemShep engineer with Kaidan next time.
If you want an experience that few others will have, this is the way to go.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Sentinel is a fun class. That was my class for my original playthrough back in the day.