Mass Effect Legendary Edition

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Blackhawk

Re: Mass Effect Legendary Edition

Post by Blackhawk »

FWIW, Mass Effect gets its DNA from the likes of Baldur's Gate more than shooters.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 6:58 pm I wonder if they have a trial, I would definitely want to see how it runs on my new monitor since I'm still running the lowly GTX 760 (which happens to be the bare minimum GPU). I'm loathe, LOATHE to reduce graphics quality in settings, on any game. :D I'm weird that way. Monitor is 2560x1440.

To clarify, this new enhanced version is not available (yet?) on EA Play, but will be at some point? I see the regular version of ME3 (and I assume ME 1 and 2) IS listed.
If you are loathe to ever play at less than ultra settings, *perhaps* you might consider something better than a midrange 8 year old graphics card? :)
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

gbasden wrote:
Carpet_pissr wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 6:58 pm I wonder if they have a trial, I would definitely want to see how it runs on my new monitor since I'm still running the lowly GTX 760 (which happens to be the bare minimum GPU). I'm loathe, LOATHE to reduce graphics quality in settings, on any game. :D I'm weird that way. Monitor is 2560x1440.

To clarify, this new enhanced version is not available (yet?) on EA Play, but will be at some point? I see the regular version of ME3 (and I assume ME 1 and 2) IS listed.
If you are loathe to ever play at less than ultra settings, *perhaps* you might consider something better than a midrange 8 year old graphics card? :)
Oh I’m beyond considering. Been in the market for what feels like a year now. Please show me where I can buy one though!
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 5:15 pm
El Guapo wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 5:08 pm As I recall the extent of my strategy was: (1) Knock down enemy shields; (2) hit enemy with psychic floating power; (3) shoot floating enemy. Repeat.
On what difficulty level?
I don't really recall. Probably normal difficulty. Generally with these games I like a mild amount of tension that falls short of genuine difficulty, so typically I toggle between story mode / normal difficulty / hard difficulty as required to sustain that middle way.

I also vaguely recall that there was another psychic power that would cause a floating enemy to detonate, so I believe I would sprinkle that in as well.
Black Lives Matter.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

gbasden wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 5:34 am

Not like he could find one if he wanted one. :lol:
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

El Guapo wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 9:13 am I also vaguely recall that there was another psychic power that would cause a floating enemy to detonate, so I believe I would sprinkle that in as well.
Yeah, that's basically what I did in ME2/3 when I did a playthrough as a biotic. Guns/sabotage/incinerate until shields/armor go down, then lift up and explode. Helps if the teammates have either lift up or kaboom powers, then you can have more "EPM" (explosions per minute).
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

NickAragua wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 11:33 am
El Guapo wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 9:13 am I also vaguely recall that there was another psychic power that would cause a floating enemy to detonate, so I believe I would sprinkle that in as well.
Yeah, that's basically what I did in ME2/3 when I did a playthrough as a biotic. Guns/sabotage/incinerate until shields/armor go down, then lift up and explode. Helps if the teammates have either lift up or kaboom powers, then you can have more "EPM" (explosions per minute).
It was kind of fun to play 3D pinball with a group of enemies.
Black Lives Matter.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Octavious wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 9:33 am
gbasden wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 5:34 am

Not like he could find one if he wanted one. :lol:
Sure you can! You have to replace the entire computer to do so, but you can! :)
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

That's the thing...I relatively recently (for me) upgraded the mobo, memory and CPU. I really don't need or want another set of those, as I already built a second desktop for the kids about a year ago. But I also REALLY want an RTX card....and to get one of those, even in a pre-built system, you will be paying a 50% at least, premium.

I'm thankful to have the absurd backlog that I do since I can just play older games while I wait for the chip market to normalize. I'm currently going through Black Mesa (Half Life Redux if you will), and it runs beautifully!
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Oh wow, the voice acting cast in a certain someone’s loyalty quest is a cool collection of TV sci-fi actors.
Spoiler:
Tali’s loyalty quest on the migrant fleet has Adam Baldwin, Claudia Black, and Shohreh Aghdashloo
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Hrothgar

Post by Hrothgar »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 5:19 pm That's the thing...I relatively recently (for me) upgraded the mobo, memory and CPU. I really don't need or want another set of those, as I already built a second desktop for the kids about a year ago. But I also REALLY want an RTX card....and to get one of those, even in a pre-built system, you will be paying a 50% at least, premium.

I'm thankful to have the absurd backlog that I do since I can just play older games while I wait for the chip market to normalize. I'm currently going through Black Mesa (Half Life Redux if you will), and it runs beautifully!
Have you tried the Newegg Shuffle?
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

El Guapo wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 1:41 pm I think ME1 has the best main story of the trilogy. ME2's main story is pretty lackluster, but the stories within the various individual quests (particularly the loyalty quests) are great, and the overall mission quality is better.
I think I'm about 2/3 of the way through ME2 right now. I have recruited all the companions (except for one that is tied to the story mission) and have completed 7 of the 12 loyalty missions.

El Guapo's observation is right on the money. ME1 had a fantastic main story that kept me engaged from start to finish. I found most of the ME1 side missions to be uninteresting distractions. ME2 is the complete opposite. The main story is merely OK, but the side missions and companion quests are absolutely fantastic. In fact, I've spent so much time on the companion quests that I've honestly just sort of lost track of the main story thread. Partly because the the companion quests are much more interesting, and partly because they main story is doled out in chunks that are often hours and hours apart. I know my next main quest has something to do with Reapers, but I honesty don't really remember what it is because the last story mission was probably 6-7 hours ago.

Neither game has a perfect balance, but I think I prefer ME2's broader world-building to ME1's straight line story arc.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I finished the main story of Yakuza 0 and started this up yesterday. Stark contrast between games. ;)

I get the Disney World vibe from the way they do cut scenes so It's kind of relaxing. I don't think I ever got far the first time I played it many years back so let's see how this run goes.

The one thing is for sure is that the menus for inventory suck balls. Does it improve in the next two games?

Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Octavious wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 1:14 pm The one thing is for sure is that the menus for inventory suck balls. Does it improve in the next two games?
Quite a bit, yes.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Skinypupy wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 1:38 pm
Octavious wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 1:14 pm The one thing is for sure is that the menus for inventory suck balls. Does it improve in the next two games?
Quite a bit, yes.
At least that. I really want to play in order, but I'm going to just try and mostly stick to the main story for the 1st game. Otherwise I'll never get through them all. :lol:

JCC

Post by JCC »

Since getting control of the Normandy I have just been doing side quests. They are definitely nothing inspiring.

Two frustrations:

1. One of the side quests had me fighting 3 buldings full of gun drones. One of these had multiples firing explosives and I couldn't come close to beating them. I was close to giving up on this quest when I realized I was playing on Normal and not Casual. Problem solved.

2. ORIGIN. While I was struggling with the killer drones I was trying to "charm" one of them with one of Tali's talents. Except holding down the RB button then pressing A to activate said power, BRINGS UP ORIGIN SHIT. FUCK YOU EA FUCK YOU TO HELL. Even setting the Origin option to Disable Origin when in game doesn't prevent this. I can sort of work around this by continuing to hit A (although I never did get one of those damned turrets to come to my side without getting killed first) but once again FUCK YOU VERY MUCH EA!!!!! AHHHHH! YOU ALSO RUINED ULTIMA.

(deeeeeeep breath)

Otherwise mostly enjoying the game. They improved the Mako but it still basically sucks. They should have had it control like ME4's vehicle which was actually fun.

Once again I would like to also point out that the controller support for this game is very half assed. It is beyond horrible to not have a gamepad configuration screen or at least an overlay that tells me what the buttons do. BOOOOOO! We don't all exclusively use mouse and keyboard!
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Thats funny to hear because it was originally a console only game.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Daehawk wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 3:54 pm Thats funny to hear because it was originally a console only game.
Interestingly, there's no gamepad configuration and/or map for the console version either. At least that I could find.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Octavious wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 1:14 pm
The one thing is for sure is that the menus for inventory suck balls. Does it improve in the next two games?
If you think it's bad now, it was improved for the MELE. Go back to the original if you want to see really bad :)
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Daehawk wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 3:54 pm Thats funny to hear because it was originally a console only game.
I'm pretty sure that's not correct. I followed the game closely upon announcement and being a PC gamer, I think I would have been upset at some point if that were true.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Octavious wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 1:42 pm
Quite a bit, yes.
At least that. I really want to play in order, but I'm going to just try and mostly stick to the main story for the 1st game. Otherwise I'll never get through them all. :lol:
Some of the side quests flow into future games, you really shouldn't skip any of them, IMO. It's really cool how they tied stuff like this together, and was one of the things that I enjoyed about the series.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Grifman wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 11:11 pm
Octavious wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 1:42 pm
Quite a bit, yes.
Some of the side quests flow into future games, you really shouldn't skip any of them, IMO. It's really cool how they tied stuff like this together, and was one of the things that I enjoyed about the series.
eh, I rarely dig deep into many side quests in these types of games. I'd do Cerberus related side quests (since they're important to ME2), and others that sound interesting but I wouldn't lose much sleep about the rest.
Black Lives Matter.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ive finished the trilogy at least 5 times and I always do everything. Everything.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Grifman wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 11:00 pm
I'm pretty sure that's not correct. I followed the game closely upon announcement and being a PC gamer, I think I would have been upset at some point if that were true.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 12:50 am
I guess my memory is incorrect then - wouldn't be the first time :)
JCC

Post by JCC »

I'm mostly having a lot of fun with ME1 LE but there are definitely some annoyances....

1. The Mako while less sucky still sucks.
2. I don't like the way you sometimes can't backtrack. For example last night I did (can't remember planet name), the planet with the ancient alien that turned people into zombies. I missed getting a side quest, then got it near the end of the story line only I can't go back to the area to complete it. So I have a quest permanently stuck in my quest log. They should have improved this. Once a quest is impossible to finish they should mark it as failed or something or better yet just let me go back and do it. If they are going to lock off most of the planet they could have at least spared me having to walk/drive all the way back.
3. This planet in general was very confusing about where I needed to go next. Too many "doors/gates/stairs" on the mini-map made it confusing to remember where I had been and where I needed to go next.
4. I was forced into the Ashley vs Liara decision last night and it felt way too early. I literally just did my first post citadel planetary main quest and already I have to choose? That felt odd - or maybe I am much further in this game then I thought...? Also, they really should have let us romance Tali in this game. As an aside, like most people I romanced Liara the first time through and was planning to pick Ashley, but wow, she definitely seems like the "renegade" choice. I realized that I like her more talking to her on the Normandy then when she is actually on my squad.
5. Once again the controller support is really half-assed in this game. So many times the menus show PC controls or switches back and forth between showing gamepad/mouse and keyboard stuff. It should just be better, damnit. And I STILL want them to patch in a screen showing you the damn controller layout. I'm old and stupid, I need this.

Having said that the worst ME is still pretty awesome overall. Still, I am looking forward to moving on to the 2nd game.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I went with the Ashley romance in ME1, even though I really don't like her much as a character. When I started ME2, there was a picture of Ashley on my desk in the Captain's Quarters. As I progressed in the game, I noticed that her picture disappeared at some point. Not sure if it's because of in-game events or because I was moving on to other romantic pursuits, but I thought that was a nice touch.

I heard Tali call out "Go for the optics, Chiktika (her combat drone)! Go for the optics!" during combat last night. I about hit the floor laughing.

Semi-related: Does the "space hamster" in your quarters ever do anything? It gives me the option to interact with it (which I do each time I go into my quarters), but it never does anything but come out from under the rock, squeak, then run back in.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Skinypupy wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 9:30 am Semi-related: Does the "space hamster" in your quarters ever do anything? It gives me the option to interact with it (which I do each time I go into my quarters), but it never does anything but come out from under the rock, squeak, then run back in.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 12:50 am
Yup. I had to buy an Xbox 360 in order to play Mass Effect when it was first released. I never did like playing it with a controller, though, so I didn't actually finish Mass Effect until I bought it on Steam in 2009.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Well, shit.

I completed everyone's Loyalty mission in ME2...except one. In Thane's, the game wouldn't recognize when I was pressing X to give him an update, and I ended up failing the mission. So I have a completely loyal supporting crew, minus one. :evil:
JCC

Post by JCC »

So, I finished the first game. Pretty epic ending, but man was I sick of the Mako.

Related to that, every designer who worked on the non-primary quest planets is a sadist. That is the only way I can think to describe people who made sure every planet was laden with hard to climb mountains and also decided to make sure we navigated them with a 6 wheeled tank. I mean how else could a space faring people be able to explore a planet?! SADISTS I tell you!

However, now I am upset for another reason. I finished ME1 but when I start a game in ME2 it isn't giving me the option to import my character from the first game. From what I have been able to google I should be seeing this option, but I am not. Anyone have any ideas?
Black Lives Matter

JCC

Post by JCC »

DAMNIT - this is a problem with their fucking controller support! There are times when hitting buttons records 2 presses instead of one. (I noticed this for some inventory functions in ME 1...) This is RIDICULOUS! How can their controller support be so bad?!
Black Lives Matter

JCC

Post by JCC »

So, at least for me using a wireless XBox 360 controller on the PC (with an unofficial dongle), ME2 is unplayable with a controller. The problem is with the hacking/unlocking mini-game. The movement for picking a node is lightning fast making it impossible to pick them accurately. I have literally used this setup for years for PC games and never had this much of an issue with gamepad controls until this trilogy. Utterly ridiculous. I also still have the issue with RB+A for picking abilities though mashing A worked around that. Bad job EA.
Black Lives Matter

$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

JCC wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 11:18 pm So, at least for me using a wireless XBox 360 controller on the PC (with an unofficial dongle), ME2 is unplayable with a controller. The problem is with the hacking/unlocking mini-game. The movement for picking a node is lightning fast making it impossible to pick them accurately. I have literally used this setup for years for PC games and never had this much of an issue with gamepad controls until this trilogy. Utterly ridiculous. I also still have the issue with RB+A for picking abilities though mashing A worked around that. Bad job EA.
There's some tech you can buy that gives you more time to finish a hack. I think I bought it on Omega but I bet it can be found on the Citadel. A little pricey but since I hate mini games it was worth the credits. Hopefully that will fix the issue vs it being a controller issue. I'm currently playing on a PS4.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
JCC

Post by JCC »

It's not the time limit- though I generally dislike that mechanic - it's the controller issue. You literally can't move the cursor in any way to pick a node. It just flies all over the screen. Unplayable. I have been forced to use mouse and keyboard - which is OK. I actually found another bug as I decided to give the gamepad a try a few minutes ago. I can't pick squad members. It's the stupid game registering multiple button presses for a single press of the A button, so you select AND unselect hitting the A button once. Ridiculous. Have only had issues with the controller in these 2 ME games. I was playing some Dragon Age: Inquisition before the ME:EE came out and it worked fine - so it's not a strictly Origin issue either. Never had any issues with Steam games either. Presumably ME3 will be glitchy too. Maybe it's something about the 3rd party 360 wireless adapter I am using. I just know it's worked fine for years until I started playing ME1 and ME2 recently.

Googling suggests other people having issues with controllers, but haven't seen anything like the issue I am having. (shrugs)

I don't sit at a desk for PC gaming - I am in a recliner, and it's just more comfortable to use a gamepad 99% of the time. I have a wireless keyboard/mouse. It's just less comfortable having to sit with a lapdesk. I don't really like M/KB for 3rd person stuff.
Black Lives Matter

$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

That really sucks and hopefully they'll patch that up :(
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
JCC

Post by JCC »

Thanks! I doubt it will be patched as I don't see anyone else having the issues I do. On the other hand, I don't see anyone with controller issues complaining about (ancient) XBox 360 controllers! haha. Maybe I should upgrade to a newer controller!
Black Lives Matter

AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

I'm really interested in playing this, but that disk space requirement - 120 GB! After much scrimping and trimming, I have made 125 GB available on my SSD. But I'm pretty sure that leaving so little free space would tank my performance.

I really, really, wish they had split the games into separate downloads.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Just finished ME2, and it reminded me that it is truly one of the best RPG's ever made. The story, characters, and world is simply incredible and as engaging as any game I can think of. I even managed to keep everyone alive this time. :) I ended up leaving a bunch of the random anomalies from planet scans, but finished all the DLC content, which I had never played before (which was very cool). Took right around 30 hours.

On to ME3...

EDIT: A couple hours into ME3 and there’s three things that are annoying me.

1. They’re way more stingy about ammo in this game. I ran out of assault rifle and sniper rifle ammo twice in the first mission. Didn’t run out once in all of ME2.
2. In ME2, it highlighted interactive objects from clear across a room. In ME3, you practically have to be standing right next to them. I ran around a hangar for 15 minutes trying to figure what on earth would let me proceed. Finally randomly stumbled across a control panel in one corner that raised a container that allowed me to jump across. I’d gone that way multiple times, but hadn’t been close enough for it to highlight, I guess.
3. You can’t holster your weapon in this game.
JCC

Post by JCC »

So, yesterday I noticed that I have ME2 (original edition) in Origin. Fired it up. The LE definitely represents a big upgrade. ME2 doesn't go above 720p resolution - which is pathetic. It also has NO controller support (that I could figure out). That shocked and apalled me. Really enjoying ME2 LE but I still wish I could use a damn controller. I even pondered getting a new controller to see if it would work. But I will be so pissed if it doesn't, and I would have to buy the controller, bluetooth USB dongle, and (if it works) rechargeable batteries, etc. Not sure it's worth it for one (well 3) games.
Black Lives Matter