Days Gone PC ...zombies

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Smoove_B

Re: Days Gone PC ...zombies

Post by Smoove_B »

That's a good question. I thought I remember reading you had to be on easy before taking/activating the mission - I don't think it matters that you haven't actually "started" it yet by reaching the location. You need to be a in a save slot before you opted to begin it.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Ok, thankfully it does have an option to abandon missions and pick them back up. So, I'll try that. See, what tripped me up was having Sarah's mission right before it with no chance to break it up. Those two missions are essentially one mission as one starts right after the other.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

Fyi the Chicago Chopper that you can buy at Wizard Island tears through the hordes with the powerup i was talking about earlier, especially if you activate focus and when it expires run away and let it fill back up, rinse and repeat. As long as you don't get surrounding this method will take down most hoards fairly easy.
Last edited by Scraper on Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FTE
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

I've currently got the RPD, which says is good for hordes. Although in my last failed attempt, they kept running towards me despite the fact that I sprinted and I led them towards the hill where Khouri was and he died. Even with all the mines I had laid , I wasn't able to distance myself enough from them for them to return to their spot.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

No, you're never going to outrun a horde - you're just going to die tired. You have to break line of sight. It sounds like you did all the same things I tried early on - truly I feel your pain. Just use what I mentioned earlier - run diagonally off the roof, down across the bus and toward the bridge, away from the horde after you harass them. When you get to the trees at the corner, take a hard right and hug the rock wall,but continue to sprint along that dirt path until you come up to the fence area where the gas station is - keep going. The horde will break chase and start to slowly then go back (shortest route) to the pit. The key really is to break LoS because once they can't see you, they stop chasing you. But if you're running away in a straight line they'll chase you forever.
hexanti

Post by hexanti »

We have so many Games and most people have more Games that they can play. So if a Game can't impress you in the first few hours it just failed. You can't expect people to force themselves through the first 5 hours because it maybe gets better later on... That's the problem with Days Gone. The first 10 hours is "Meh", it gets good in the middle and just when you thought you are at the end, it throws another act in front of you.
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

I think maxing out Stamina first is another key to the hordes. Because I had no problem running away when I needed to break LOS, BUT I maxed my stamina prior to sinking a lot of points in the other categories. Popping the Stamina Pills also helps out a lot during horde fights.

For the most part I only died by Hordes when I would accidentally back myself into a corner and get surrounded.
FTE
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

hexanti wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 5:45 am We have so many Games and most people have more Games that they can play. So if a Game can't impress you in the first few hours it just failed. You can't expect people to force themselves through the first 5 hours because it maybe gets better later on... That's the problem with Days Gone. The first 10 hours is "Meh", it gets good in the middle and just when you thought you are at the end, it throws another act in front of you.
I don't really understand that line of thinking. If a game is enjoyable to you, why wouldn't you want to play through it to the very end? But then, if you're not enjoying it, nobody's forcing anyone to play it.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Smoove_B wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:18 pm No, you're never going to outrun a horde - you're just going to die tired. You have to break line of sight. It sounds like you did all the same things I tried early on - truly I feel your pain. Just use what I mentioned earlier - run diagonally off the roof, down across the bus and toward the bridge, away from the horde after you harass them. When you get to the trees at the corner, take a hard right and hug the rock wall,but continue to sprint along that dirt path until you come up to the fence area where the gas station is - keep going. The horde will break chase and start to slowly then go back (shortest route) to the pit. The key really is to break LoS because once they can't see you, they stop chasing you. But if you're running away in a straight line they'll chase you forever.
Well, you're going to be proud of me, because I did it. Only took me about 3 tries, and on Normal. Used the attractors,, then napalmed them and at first I felt like it wasn't doing all that much damage, because it does feel like it can be quite underpowered at times. In fact, I almost feel the regular molotovs can be more effective and cheaper to produce to boot. I ended up in that restaurant you pointed out, although at the time, it just flowed naturally and I didn't even realize what I was doing, and kind of worked out that way. Was able to use my RPD to dwindle them down. Eventually I could hop off the roof and take the rest of them out with my axe. All in all, it wasn't that hard, just more time-consuming.

Speaking of the Sawmill horde, I ended up avoiding most of it. Still not sure how. The mission that sends you there kind of glitched out. I think the Horde killed the target, hilariously enough. I still had to grab whatever the mission wanted me to bring back. I ended up running in and then back out quickly before the horde could do much damage to me, then hopped onto my bike and rode away. I never really had to face the horde in that one as I'd managed to avoid a direct confrontation.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Spoiler:
Who wants to tell him?
:D

Awesome, I figured you would get there. I actually think that was the hardest horde for me only because I had to learn how to fight them.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

There's another one, isn't there? :D

It's a great feeling finally getting past a difficult point in a game. Almost felt surreal to find the place so quiet afterwards :lol: And holy crap, look at that pile of bodies! :whistle:
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

Rumpy wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 9:25 pm There's another one, isn't there? :D

It's a great feeling finally getting past a difficult point in a game. Almost felt surreal to find the place so quiet afterwards :lol: And holy crap, look at that pile of bodies! :whistle:
Don't forget to run around and pick up all the ears for rep after each horde battle.
FTE
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Yep, I did that. Even got some right away when I was on the roof. And anything I contribute to the camps, I've contributed to Diamond Lake, because that one seems to take more stuff to get the trust level up. So, had a nice haul to give them when I came back. Also did a random mission to rescue a hostage and sent him to Diamond Lake.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Yeah.....I think just hit "that" first horde point......
Gonna call it a night and attack it fresh.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

Rumpy wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 9:44 pm Yep, I did that. Even got some right away when I was on the roof. And anything I contribute to the camps, I've contributed to Diamond Lake, because that one seems to take more stuff to get the trust level up. So, had a nice haul to give them when I came back. Also did a random mission to rescue a hostage and sent him to Diamond Lake.
Diamond Lake was the last camp to reach level 3 rep for me. So that's a good strategy. Plus it has the best bike upgrades.
FTE
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Yeah, some camps I've found to progress slowly. I don't quite understand the criteria. I guess it could be that they offer less missions, therefore less experience. Diamond Lake in particular seems to take forever to level up trust despite how much I've contributed to it. But I've upgraded my bike to almost the fullest except for the gas tank. Got the best engine and everything else. Love the little details like how each engine sounds, and I love how throaty the best engine sounds. Also another neat detail is how you can actually see Deek use the clutch.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

Rumpy wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 2:10 pm Yeah, some camps I've found to progress slowly. I don't quite understand the criteria. I guess it could be that they offer less missions, therefore less experience. Diamond Lake in particular seems to take forever to level up trust despite how much I've contributed to it. But I've upgraded my bike to almost the fullest except for the gas tank. Got the best engine and everything else. Love the little details like how each engine sounds, and I love how throaty the best engine sounds. Also another neat detail is how you can actually see Deek use the clutch.
The final Nitro upgrade requires level 3 rep. There's also a trophy/achievement that you cant get without that upgrade (I forget what Steam calls trophies), otherwise it's a fairly useless upgrade that late in the game.
FTE
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Ahh yeah, I'd forgotten about the nitro upgrade. I find the second upgrade to be more than enough.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

I'm at the first forced horde encounter.
I've tried the restaurant route somewhat successfully.
Still havent cleared it, but I'll get there.
But one thing I noticed is my attractors dont seem to be attracting.
I stand on the roof and toss them, but the horde pretty much ignores them.
Any ideas why?
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

stimpy wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 11:56 am I stand on the roof and toss them, but the horde pretty much ignores them.
Any ideas why?
They might be too far away. The tin-roof structure to the right (if you're facing the pit where they hang out) - I think it's a garage/shop area below. There's a peak in the roof that then has a descending slope that goes down to the path area that takes you to the pit. I would throw attractors in the trees that were on that path area - just off to the right, closer to you on the roof. Then back up a little and throw another right on the path. At that point, toss some fire, and then start running as they're now likely climbing up the walls and closing in.

I was looking for a screenshot to show what I'm talking about, but I'm having trouble. I keep looking.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

stimpy wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 11:56 am I'm at the first forced horde encounter.
I've tried the restaurant route somewhat successfully.
Still havent cleared it, but I'll get there.
But one thing I noticed is my attractors dont seem to be attracting.
I stand on the roof and toss them, but the horde pretty much ignores them.
Any ideas why?
I noticed the same thing. While pressing R3, I noticed many of them just staying where they were. I thought, surely they should be working a lot better than that?? I think they simply don't like corners or being close to buildings, and likely work better out in the open. One trick I found helps is to detach the silencer from my main weapon and fire it once. Those things can be quite loud, and they'll be attracted to that. In fact, you could do that with your secondary weapon too, and it'd be one of the few situations where doing it would be to your advantage.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

This should be of interest for anyone here. Apparently Sony felt the game was a disappointment, despite selling 8 million copies, which is roughly the same amount as Ghosts of Tsushima.

https://kotaku.com/days-gone-was-a-disa ... 1848313659

And honestly, it feels like the person who wrote the article played a completely different game, because... clunky and cumbersome controls? I never felt that was the case. In fact, I felt the controls all felt pretty natural and intuitive. Just ends up feeling like someone ragging on the game because they didn't enjoy it.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

kotaku are idiots.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

Rumpy wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 3:16 am This should be of interest for anyone here. Apparently Sony felt the game was a disappointment, despite selling 8 million copies, which is roughly the same amount as Ghosts of Tsushima.

https://kotaku.com/days-gone-was-a-disa ... 1848313659

And honestly, it feels like the person who wrote the article played a completely different game, because... clunky and cumbersome controls? I never felt that was the case. In fact, I felt the controls all felt pretty natural and intuitive. Just ends up feeling like someone ragging on the game because they didn't enjoy it.
Like I said a couple of pages ago, the reviews on this game weren't great (IGN gave it a 6.5) and I really don't understand why. For comparison sake I played Days Gone directly after Halo Infinite's single player campaign. Reviewers all gushed over Halo, most giving it a 9 or higher. When comparing the two games as open world shooter types they aren't even in the same league for me. Days Gone has the better story, better graphics, a heck of a lot more to do, better characters, etc. (I know one is an FPS and one is a 3rd person shooter). But I think it speaks to reviewers bias towards known IPs. The sales numbers should speak for themselves when it comes to Days Gone. Over 9 million sold is really good for a new IP.
FTE
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Yeah, I don't get the hate at all. I'm not a PS4 gamer so I can't really compare it to titles that were released at the same time or compare it generally to what were PS4 exclusives, but as a PC game? I think it was (and is) a winner.
Roman

Post by Roman »

Scraper wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 11:58 am Like I said a couple of pages ago, the reviews on this game weren't great (IGN gave it a 6.5) and I really don't understand why.
If memory serves the initial launch reviews were poor because of bugs and performance related issues. It took a while to get the game patched to the state where we all enjoyed it (me too) so that is where all the hate came from in terms of review scores.

Hope this helps shed some light on it.
Roman
While feeding all the beasties out back I let a nice big fart. The smell followed all the way back to the house. It's like it was my baby and felt abandoned.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Daehawk wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 11:02 am kotaku are idiots.
Well, that goes without saying, but I do thing the general topic of the article is an interesting one worth discussing.
Smoove_B wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 12:10 pm Yeah, I don't get the hate at all. I'm not a PS4 gamer so I can't really compare it to titles that were released at the same time or compare it generally to what were PS4 exclusives, but as a PC game? I think it was (and is) a winner.
I think the author based his comments on the early parts of the game where your bike is underpowered. As a game about a post-apocalyptic society, I think it does better than most at evoking the feeling that everyone is trying to survive. It's not a game that feels lifeless, as in Fallout, and I think I like it even better than the Last of Us.

It's just surprising that while Ghosts of Tsushima is considered a success for Sony, that Days Gone isn't. I'm playing on PS4 and I feel it's a very strong game. But then, I haven't been generally disappointed with any of the exclusives.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Is one of the other mandatory hordes the one that takes you into the lava cave? Because I completed that mission with relative ease. Managed to draw them out to one of the narrow bridges, which was pure luck, but once I realized what was happening, I was able to take them on one at a time and clear it out with ease. Next I've gotta get the tunes for Weaver, and the problem with that is that even during the day, there tends to be a horde there for me, and I'm starting to run low on supplies.

Does anyone know if things like scrap or general crafting supplies regenerate after awhile? At this point, I find myself trying to find locations I might have been full-up on, which is proving to be annoying.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Rumpy wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 3:35 pm Is one of the other mandatory hordes the one that takes you into the lava cave? Because I completed that mission with relative ease. Managed to draw them out to one of the narrow bridges, which was pure luck, but once I realized what was happening, I was able to take them on one at a time and clear it out with ease. Next I've gotta get the tunes for Weaver, and the problem with that is that even during the day, there tends to be a horde there for me, and I'm starting to run low on supplies.

Does anyone know if things like scrap or general crafting supplies regenerate after awhile? At this point, I find myself trying to find locations I might have been full-up on, which is proving to be annoying.
It seemed to me that on the way to the Weaver quest, there were bits and parts and gas laying all around the roads. Like, a lot of them. Seemed weird, but helpful.
Also......I totally lucked out on the horde there. Game glitched out and as I stood behind a barricade I watched them disappear 1 by 1 until they were all gone. Just vanished. I still got all the ears so I'll take it.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

Rumpy wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 3:35 pm Is one of the other mandatory hordes the one that takes you into the lava cave? Because I completed that mission with relative ease. Managed to draw them out to one of the narrow bridges, which was pure luck, but once I realized what was happening, I was able to take them on one at a time and clear it out with ease. Next I've gotta get the tunes for Weaver, and the problem with that is that even during the day, there tends to be a horde there for me, and I'm starting to run low on supplies.

Im pretty sure supplies do respawn after a while. I know for a fact they do at the watch tower base. That place has at least one of every type of supply by the end of the game.
FTE
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Supplies respawn at the NERO bases and ambush camps. Also, surprisingly residue in a burnt out nest. Cars in the wild do not seem to.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Holy, it took me several days to finally complete Weaver's mp3 player mission because of the horde there. No matter what I did, day or night, it always seemed to be there. Eventually I think I got them all and was able to proceed. Found it to be one of the more difficult missions based on scenario alone. It's wide open, less places to hide and there seem to be a whole load of them.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

I've finished the main game.
Am now doing the hordes.
Question is, when I go to a location and there are say 3 red dots indicating hordes, are those dots showing me where they might be or where they are?
Some of the locations appear to have no zombies, but are still showing as red.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

I'm guessing time of day related? At night they're usually out roaming around rather than nesting, but during the day they'd be at their nesting spot. I noticed the same thing in certain spots, until one time where the timing must have been right.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Is it possible to finish the game without eliminating any hordes?
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Jaymann wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:19 am Is it possible to finish the game without eliminating any hordes?
I'd have to say no.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

No, because at some point you're going to have to face them via the storyline and there's no way around that. At that point, the game gives you a progress bar to the entire horde and won't let you progress without eliminating it.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

So, I'm no longer really afraid of the horde. I know it's surprising given what I said earlier.
Spoiler:
I'm at the Sawmill horde point of the story and now I finally see what you've all been talking about. All along, I'd thought I'd already done it since the game does send you there on a mission earlier on, and I'd tangled with but managed to avoid the horde there at the time, and at that point in time, it's truly an encounter that can drive you to anxiety.

But now as part of the mission, they don't seem all that bad. It feels much more manageable. It's certainly an interesting spot given how much elevation change and hiding spots there are for them to lurk in. And now with my trusty RPD at my side and the skill that allows your bullets to kill multiple at once, I've been luring them out of hiding by detaching my silencer and firing short bursts to attract them, then mowing them down. It feels pretty effective, and the terrain allows for the strategy of picking them off in large quantities without even getting close. The Chemult horde in comparison was much more difficult because it never allowed you to get out of the mission zone, but it becomes easier once you can go back to base for more ammo to rinse and repeat. Before long, it's horde be gone!
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

Rumpy wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:12 am So, I'm no longer really afraid of the horde. I know it's surprising given what I said earlier.
Spoiler:
I'm at the Sawmill horde point of the story and now I finally see what you've all been talking about. All along, I'd thought I'd already done it since the game does send you there on a mission earlier on, and I'd tangled with but managed to avoid the horde there at the time, and at that point in time, it's truly an encounter that can drive you to anxiety.

But now as part of the mission, they don't seem all that bad. It feels much more manageable. It's certainly an interesting spot given how much elevation change and hiding spots there are for them to lurk in. And now with my trusty RPD at my side and the skill that allows your bullets to kill multiple at once, I've been luring them out of hiding by detaching my silencer and firing short bursts to attract them, then mowing them down. It feels pretty effective, and the terrain allows for the strategy of picking them off in large quantities without even getting close. The Chemult horde in comparison was much more difficult because it never allowed you to get out of the mission zone, but it becomes easier once you can go back to base for more ammo to rinse and repeat. Before long, it's horde be gone!
Awesome, I do love the spot at the sawmill with the long footbridge over the pond, you can literally mow down hundreds of them at that spot with the right weapons and powers.
FTE
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Yeah, and I can clearly see why. It's a bit of a fun spot to be taking on a horde.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti