Let's Play: Battletech via MegaMek (G2)

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

NickAragua

Re: Let's Play: Battletech via MegaMek (G2)

Post by NickAragua »

TotallyNotEvil wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 4:09 pm Is substituting Clan FF for IS FF simpler?

Also, you said GR and LB-X ammo is nigh-impossible to get. But aren't those making their way around the IS right now?

... And isn't GR ammo just simple ferro-magnetic spheres, i.e. giant ballbearings?
It's a lot easier to change a mech's armor type than it is to change the internal structure.

Inner Sphere gauss and LBX ammo is not a big deal nowadays, but the clan-spec weapons use their own size ammo that's not made in the IS. So basically we'd want to swap out the clan gauss and LBX for their inner sphere counterparts unless we want to be blowing favors on clan ammo.
Black Lives Matter
TotallyNotEvil

Post by TotallyNotEvil »

NickAragua wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 4:19 pm
TotallyNotEvil wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 4:09 pm Is substituting Clan FF for IS FF simpler?

Also, you said GR and LB-X ammo is nigh-impossible to get. But aren't those making their way around the IS right now?

... And isn't GR ammo just simple ferro-magnetic spheres, i.e. giant ballbearings?
It's a lot easier to change a mech's armor type than it is to change the internal structure.

Inner Sphere gauss and LBX ammo is not a big deal nowadays, but the clan-spec weapons use their own size ammo that's not made in the IS. So basically we'd want to swap out the clan gauss and LBX for their inner sphere counterparts unless we want to be blowing favors on clan ammo.
Well, I'd argue the GR ammo due it being simple enough I feel we could literally make our own, but I got it.

Are TCs generic, i.e., can we yank a TC from a mech and put it in something else, provided we obey the maximum tonnage it services?

And do we have any?
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

TotallyNotEvil wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 4:56 pm Well, I'd argue the GR ammo due it being simple enough I feel we could literally make our own, but I got it.

Are TCs generic, i.e., can we yank a TC from a mech and put it in something else, provided we obey the maximum tonnage it services?

And do we have any?
I get your point about gauss ammo, but MegaMek and MekHQ feel differently and that'd be a lot of code changes, so we're kind of stuck with it for now.

Targeting computers can be pulled and installed at will, yes. The Loki has a three-ton one, so we'll have to trade for it if we want it.
Black Lives Matter
TotallyNotEvil

Post by TotallyNotEvil »

Urgh, we shouldn't trade a Nova, much less a Timby for a Loki.

Well, there will be more clan salvage, we can always hope to get lucky.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

I don't particularly care about the names. Since this is all new, I'll roll with whatever. Though it would have been nice to have numbers next to the ones we fought so I could keep the Mad Cats straight...

As for trades, I'm good with whatever those wiser think. I will say that I'm not in favor of anything that will be really tough to maintain. I'm all for trading those headaches to someone else to maintain if we can get back stuff that is easier.

And I guess a combo for support is good. I'd be tempted to send in extra mechs, to make things easier, but I'm guessing that we need to plan for the long haul.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

El Guapo wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 3:41 pm
NickAragua wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 3:22 pm
[] Inner Sphere names for Clan mechs
[X] Clan names for Clan mechs, except rename Ryoken as the "Hadouken"
I agree with myself.
NickAragua wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 3:22 pm We can optionally trade-off chassis to the Kurita guys at a 2:1 exchange rate of tonnage. Moley has expressed a particular interest in driving a Thor, so we'd prefer to make at least that happen. While the "high-maintenance" mechs aren't something we'd necessarily use, we can still take the intact good weapons off of them.

What we have to trade:
[] Daishi. Yeah, right.
[] Mad Cat #11. 75 tons, extremely damaged, low combat endurance, maintenance is a nightmare
[] Mad Cat #12. 75 tons, pretty good shape, excellent weapons, maintenance is a nightmare
[] Mad Cat #3. 75 tons, good for spare parts only.
[] Black Hawk. 50 tons, extreme firepower, easy maintenance
[X] Ryoken #5. 55 tons, fast, good firepower, nightmare maintenance
[X] Nobori-Nin. 50 tons, normal speed, good firepower, nightmare maintenance
[X] Vulture. Worth 30 tons due to kill credit dispute.

What we may like to pick up:
[X] Thor. 70 tons, low combat endurance, fancy armor, excessive engine damage
[] Loki. 65 tons, heat issues, low armor, easy maintenance.
[] Vulture. 60 tons, heat issues, fancy armor
[] Man O' War. 80 tons, not great weapons, fancy armor.

--
Will this work? Technically it's 5 tons short, but maybe we can toss in a few c-bills or something?

If not I'd be inclined to trade them for the Loki instead.
NickAragua wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 3:22 pm [1] Specify number of aerospace flights
[1] Specify number of mech lances
This seems like the way to go, in terms of providing good support and getting some salvage opportunities.
This looks good. If we really want the Thor, don't see much other options than to switch the Ryoken for a Mad Cat (give them the one that's only good for spare parts).
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

El Guapo wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 3:41 pm
NickAragua wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 3:22 pm
[X] Clan names for Clan mechs, except rename Ryoken as the "Hadouken"
I agree with myself.
NickAragua wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 3:22 pm We can optionally trade-off chassis to the Kurita guys at a 2:1 exchange rate of tonnage. Moley has expressed a particular interest in driving a Thor, so we'd prefer to make at least that happen. While the "high-maintenance" mechs aren't something we'd necessarily use, we can still take the intact good weapons off of them.

What we have to trade:
[] Daishi. Yeah, right.
[] Mad Cat #11. 75 tons, extremely damaged, low combat endurance, maintenance is a nightmare
[] Mad Cat #12. 75 tons, pretty good shape, excellent weapons, maintenance is a nightmare

--
Will this work? Technically it's 5 tons short, but maybe we can toss in a few c-bills or something?

If not I'd be inclined to trade them for the Loki instead.
NickAragua wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 3:22 pm [1] Specify number of aerospace flights
[1] Specify number of mech lances
This seems like the way to go, in terms of providing good support and getting some salvage opportunities.
I agree with both of these, only because if we can't maintain the Ryoken and Noburi-Nin then there isn't much point in keeping them.
Leraje

Post by Leraje »

NickAragua wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 3:22 pm [AN: I kind of prefer using the clan names for the mechs; but some of them are a little pretentious. Do we want to stick to using Inner Sphere designations for those when we run into them, or go with the clan designations?]

[x] Clan names for Clan mechs
They may be pretentious sometimes, but mostly deserve the right to do so.
NickAragua wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 3:22 pm What we have to trade:
[] Daishi. Yeah, right.
[x] Ryoken #5. 55 tons, fast, good firepower, nightmare maintenance
[x] Nobori-Nin. 50 tons, normal speed, good firepower, nightmare maintenance
[x] Vulture. Worth 30 tons due to kill credit dispute.

[x] Thor. 70 tons, low combat endurance, fancy armor, excessive engine damage
If we decide to trade at all.
[2] Specify number of mech lances
Do we have a spare clan ErPPC, 4x ErMLs and 1x IS DHS? That would make very happy until we can bag a Warhawk. :D
TotallyNotEvil

Post by TotallyNotEvil »

Give:
[X] Cash, if need be.

Take

Here's an extremely sweet refit for the Thor: swap the LB-X for a Clan LPL and a DHS, go up to 13,5t standard armor.

Kept the same damage, gained accuracy and armor. It unfortunately gains 5 heat after a jump and alpha, but you just do 3-2-3, dropping the LRMs every other turn to be exactly heat neutral and not lose anything (as you are always jumping, so the movement penalty isn't an issue, and you don't get to 8, where accuracy degrades). Just 1t of ammo for the launcher, but given the optimal use pattern has it firing every other round, that's not a problem.
Leraje wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 8:26 pm Do we have a spare clan ErPPC, 4x ErMLs and 1x IS DHS? That would make very happy until we can bag a Warhawk. :D
I looked it up as the name seemed familiar. And I was shocked.

"How did they managed to fit in a Hellstar's worth of ERPPCs in a 85t mech, and ten LRMs besides?"

And then I saw it would risk shutting itself down from an alpha strike.

Was it designed by the same people who thought up the 12 ERML Nova?
Leraje

Post by Leraje »

TotallyNotEvil wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:12 am Was it designed by the same people who thought up the 12 ERML Nova?
Surprisingly enough - no...
IMHO removing LRM10 and its ammo in favour of more DHS is a mandatory refit for a Warhawk. That gives it 46 heat/turn, enough for sustained usage of 3 ErPPCs.
TotallyNotEvil

Post by TotallyNotEvil »

Leraje wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:34 pm
TotallyNotEvil wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:12 am Was it designed by the same people who thought up the 12 ERML Nova?
IMHO removing LRM10 and its ammo in favour of more DHS is a mandatory refit for a Warhawk. That gives it 46 heat/turn, enough for sustained usage of 3 ErPPCs.
At that point you might as well yank the fourth PPC and do something useful with the weigh. I don't know, 3 MPLs? Drop a PPC when they get close to fire them and you should be good.
Leraje

Post by Leraje »

TotallyNotEvil wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 7:16 am
Leraje wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:34 pm
At that point you might as well yank the fourth PPC and do something useful with the weigh. I don't know, 3 MPLs? Drop a PPC when they get close to fire them and you should be good.
2 ERPPCs and 2 ERLLs with all of the free tonnage dedicated to DHS. Almost heat neutral.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

I like the pretentious Clan names and other than pursuing the Thor I'll leave the other decisions in more capable hands.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Honestly I don't really care that much about trading at a 2:1 ratio, BUT since we have a request for a Thor, and the mechs that we'd need to give up would be mostly high maintenance anyway, and since we have plenty of other salvage, seems worth it to make the Thor request happen.
Black Lives Matter.
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

El Guapo wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 12:59 pm Honestly I don't really care that much about trading at a 2:1 ratio, BUT since we have a request for a Thor, and the mechs that we'd need to give up would be mostly high maintenance anyway, and since we have plenty of other salvage, seems worth it to make the Thor request happen.
Agreed.
"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins
moleymoleymoley

Post by moleymoleymoley »

Yup, saves confusion, the something awful let's play changed the names again and I had absolutely no idea what was going on.

Regarding the Thor (aka Tbolt IIC), I'm salivating at the thought but it is a VERY steep price to pay, so I won't be too disappointed if we don't get it (the Moley character will be a grumpy moody ass though). Trading the hard to maintain mechs for a Vulture would be my alternative suggestion, those guys kick ass.
TotallyNotEvil

Post by TotallyNotEvil »

Is Moley the only one in need of a new mech?

Cause I see a Mad Cat that looks like we put together :whistle:
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

moleymoleymoley wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 1:47 pm a Vulture would be my alternative suggestion, those guys kick ass.
I can confirm this. </looks sadly at what used to be my ass...>

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

TotallyNotEvil wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 2:18 pm Is Moley the only one in need of a new mech?

Cause I see a Mad Cat that looks like we put together :whistle:
Not sure I classify as "in need of", but I don't feel like the Crusader is a good fit for fighting with the Clans. I'd like something with some range.

Black Lives Matter

NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Vote Results:
Spoiler:
Clan names for clan mechs - almost unanimous

Trade Stormcrow #5, Huntsman, Mad Dog for Thor

1 aero flight, 1 mech lance ||||
1 aero flight, 2 mech lances |
January 5, 3052, 0846 hours
Tairakana Plains, Luthien

Moley winds up arranging to trade two clan mechs and give up the "disputed" Mad Dog. The Kurita representative seems happy to let us have a five-ton "credit" for any future exchanges, which immediately makes our mechwarrior suspicious. But the suspicion is overcome by the happiness of getting to drive a Thor. Well, once the techs pull out the nearly-destroyed engine, fix it to the tune of 1.4M C-Bills, another 250k C-Bills to fix the gyro. We're talking a few weeks of work. And then there's the matter of the armor mounting points being incompatible with any Inner Sphere armor tech, so some more time in the shop afterwards, not to mention the needed adjustment to weapons for better combat endurance (only 10 shots for the LBX autocannon?). But eventually...

To help the Kurita guys, we've sent Gamma-Striker lance, substituting Xwraith in a Thunderbolt 7M for Stefan. Led by Wolf in a modified Grasshopper 5J, we've also got SgtSoldier in a Phoenix Hawk 3D, and a Rifleman 3C with LBX autocannons. The air support is Delta-Intercept lance, with a Hellcat II, a Starfire and a Sholagar.

The Kurita force is a "standard" mix of heavy mechs with an assault and a couple of mediums sprinkled in. Their chatter indicates they're performing a "hit and run", but the emphasis is likely to be on the "hit" - they're just not going to be doing that much running.

The clan force as we join the fight is two "stars", a total of ten mechs. Seeing two Hellbringers (Loki) is always a relief, as they're relatively easy to take down. The Summoner (Thor) is always a pain, but if we can take it down maybe we can get some spare parts. There's a Nova (Black Hawk) with its intimidating laser array, and a Warhawk (Masakari). We haven't seen one of those yet: it's an 85 ton mech packing four, count them, four extended-range particle cannons. Any mech facing one of these should be seriously concerned, even if it does look like it'll occasionally shut down when firing all of those PPCs.

There's also the standard Timberwolf (Mad Cat), Mad Dog (Vulture) and Stormcrow (Ryoken) lineup, plus an Adder (Puma). This particular Puma has a large pulse laser, two medium lasers and an LB-5X autocannon; it's squat but its arm and torso arrangement prevents meaningful torso-twisting. It's also the only light mech in the group.

Round 1:
Spoiler:
Long-range fire is exchanged between both sides. LRMs and longer-ranged lasers connect between the clan and Kurita force, removing armor and causing a couple of mechs to stagger. Particularly useful information is that the Mad Cat to the south has a gauss rifle. Striker lance takes position behind a hill, hoping to get the drop on the clanners if they close in. Wolf snaps a shot off at the Nova, briefly connecting the Grasshopper's large laser with the mech's right torso to flake some armor off.

Round 2:
Spoiler:
"Incoming aerospace." our Rifleman pilot calls out. "Spread out."

Wolf scoffs. "Incoming clan mechs. Up and over, now!"

Wolf, Xwraith and SgtSoldier briefly look up, relieved that the two pairs of clan fighters aren't dropping their bombs on us, then we get into a general melee with four clan mechs as the inferno gel splatters across the battlefield.

Our Rifleman takes multiple hits from a Nova in the back, a substantial amount of armor flaked off by the lasers. Wolf and SgtSoldier focus their fire on the Hellbringer in the front, Wolf's aim thrown off by two PPC blasts and some LRMs from the Warhawk way in the back. Wolf and the Hellbringer in front of our Grasshopper exchange kicks, most of their leg armor disappearing.

Round 3:
Spoiler:
"Allied aerospace incoming! Back to the inferno smoke!" Wolf calls out, seeing an opportunity for our mechs to get some better cover. Those clanners may have caused a couple of the Kurita mechs to overheat pretty badly (in fact, to the south, the Kurita Cyclops' ammo cooks off, while the Archer behind is is basically just shut down), but the billowing smoke also provides better cover for us if we can get back to it.

"Swear to god, if those goddamn dracs drop cluster bombs on us... " Xwraith mutters, watching the flight trajectory of the incoming Kurita bombers.

It's a little hard for us to get to the smoke cover when the clan units move to the top of the hill between us and the smoke. So we do the next best thing, which is get in their rear arc. SgtSoldier blasts the damaged Hellbringer in the right torso and left leg with the Phoenix Hawk's pulse laser as he lands the jump, melting an LRM/20 launcher and multiple leg actuators (the Loki A has a different weapons loadout).

One of the Sholagars drops its load of cluster bombs, managing to hit the Thor and Black Hawk, with only one bomblet landing on our Rifleman. The clan aerospace fighters , most having dropped their bomb load, engage the incoming Kurita aerospace fighters, scoring a couple laser hits, but it doesn't prevent the second Sholagar from coming in and dropping its bombs as well. The first round of cluster bombs just did some armor damage, but the second one... well, the Summoner loses its LRM/15 launcher and takes multiple bomblets to the head, while the Nova takes a leg breach.

Then a Shilone flies in, dropping its bombs. The Nova's left leg comes off as it tries to move forward, its left torso throwing sparks as the left arm flies off.

Wolf takes advantage of the chaos to blast the nearby Loki center of mass with the Grasshopper's lasers and streak SRMs, smirking as a laser contacts the ammo bin in the center torso. Most clan mechs are durable enough to survive ammo explosions, but not the Loki, with its full ton of machine gun ammo sitting next to the reactor.

One last load of bombs eliminates the Summoner as well, the 70-ton mech's head and left side disappearing under a cloud of explosions.

The other Hellbringer returns fire, causing an ammo explosion in our Rifleman, which blows the right arm off, but CASE directs the blast out the back, limiting the damage to the right side. And the left side of the mech also disappears. But the engine and gyro are still perfectly functional, leaving our mechwarrior just one option: to run as fast as possible.

To the south, a Kurita Archer is eliminated by ammo explosion.

Round 4:
Spoiler:
"Damn, what a meatgrinder." Xwraith comments.

"Target that Hellbringer, bring it down now." Wolf orders. "Then we'll move southwest and take the Warhawk."

The order is basically unnecessary though, as Wolf jumps in behind the Hellbringer, as it stomps down the other side of the hill and puts a large laser through its back, blasting the ammo bin containing anti-missile system rounds and scattering bits of the 65-ton mech across the side of the hill.

One of the clan fighters decides to release its inferno bombs on a Kurita Archer - a very effective strategy as Archers have relatively poor cooling systems, and are pretty susceptible to inferno attacks. This will effectively shut that poor mech down for at least twenty seconds. Another Kurita Archer takes a hit to an LRM bin from a different clan fighter, signaling some serious casualties for our Kurita allies to the south.

One of the Kurita Shilones retaliates, blasting the Puma in the south. The light clan mech has an especially wide engine, which means that when it takes a large number of LRMs sequentially to the left side and they go through armor, that hurts.

Xwraith fires up at a clan fighter flying overhead, landing an LRM salvo on the nose. The fighter doesn't seem too damaged, but it still corkscrews into the ground. A brief glance at the Warhawk we were planning to engage shows it blasting the nearby Kurita griffin's left arm off with a pair of PPC shots.

Still, the Kurita forces rally and are able to knock a Vulture down, causing heavy damage to its right side while stripping a lot of armor off a Ryoken.

Round 5:
[camera feed disrupted]
"Cavalry's here, boys!" Our aerospace fighters announce as they enter the area.

"And girls." Wolf corrects the aero jock. "Hellbringer down. Move forward and engage the Warhawk."

"Any chance we can get that ECM turned back on?" SgtSoldier wonders.

A pair of Kurita aerospace fighters joins us, strafing the Warhawk. Their attacks don't do too much damage, and neither does Wolf's large laser, but at least that's armor taken off. One does manage to breach the right torso, filling the air with blue mist briefly as one of the heat sinks explodes. Surprisingly enough, all of this is enough to bring the 85-tonner down to the ground.

One of our aerospace fighters, a Starfire, gets behind a light clan fighter blasting it in the tail pipe with its signature ultra autocannon and some lasers. The enemy fighter lurches then detonates in mid-air.

The Kurita forces report taking out a Mad Dog, which is good news as those mechs have a lot of firepower, although they lose their Marauder to an ammo explosion.

Round 6:
Spoiler:
"Finish him o... shit." Xwraith exclaims, noting the arrival of five more clan mechs. We'd been expecting them, but were hoping to take care of business before they got here.

Wolf moves forward, slashing the Warhawk's head with a large laser blast, though failing to breach the armor, then following up with a streak SRM, one of the missiles also landing on the head. An allied Shilone takes this moment to blast the 85-ton mech's left arm, which goes limp, taking two PPCs out of action, although it's still able to deliver a PPC blast to SgtSoldier's left leg, removing all armor from that location. Our Starfire is able to come in for a follow-up strafing run, and the Warhawk's right torso throws sparks, indicating major equipment malfunction in that location, but pulse laser fire from a Mad Dog down below nails our fighter in the engine.

Anti-aircraft fire forces one of the allied Shilones to withdraw and the other to slam into the ground, basically disintegrating on impact, while the Kurita forces report crippling a Stormcrow (they call it a Ryoken, of course).

The Warhawk can't take all the damage and drops to the ground, the mechwarrior bailing out.

Round 7:
Spoiler:
SgtSoldier's Phoenix Hawk targets a smaller 30-ton clan mech, designated a Kit Fox. Despite the target's speed, our mechwarrior lands two large laser hits on it, causing two armor breaches. This staggers the smaller mech, allowing Xwraith to land some laser hits on it; the lock-on indicator for the Thunderbolt's streak SRMs beeps and our mechwarrior squeezes the trigger, sending the two warheads towards the Kit Fox - the second one blasts open a bunch of engine shielding and shreds the gyro somewhat, dropping the little mech to the ground.

Wolf jumps into a small pond, blasting a nearby 25-tonner with the Grasshopper's lasers. It moves pretty fast but still takes a right arm armor breach.

To the south, the Kurita forces report disabling another Stormcrow ("It's a Ryoken, dammit!")

Round 8:
Spoiler:
One of the clan mechs, a Puma, manages to escape the field.

Wolf and SgtSoldier engage a Stormcrow, scoring a couple of hits, while a Kurita Sholagar flies by and blasts the right arm off a Mist Lynx, which includes a pair of SRM/6 launchers.

To the south, a pair of massive blasts signifies the demise of a Kurita Stalker.

Round 9:
Spoiler:
SgtSoldier loops around an advancing Nova Cat Mad Dog, blasting chunks of armor off its rear torso and the right arm. Combined fire from our Phoenix Hawk and a Kurita Sholagar brings the 60-ton mech down. SgtSoldier stomps on its back, cracking an LRM launcher and some engine shielding.

The Nova Cat units focus on the Kurita Archer that's been trying to cool down for the last minute and a half, just as it finally emerges from the hellish inferno. Wolf jumps in and zaps the Mist Lynx with the Grasshopper's large laser, frying its left leg and dropping it to the ground. Still, the Archer is now missing its right arm and has almost no armor left.

To the south, the Kurita guys don't sound like they have too many mechs left, but then again, neither do the clanners. One of the clan fighters wobbles and is definitely out of control, so that's good as well.

Round 10:
Spoiler:
Wolf moves forward, finally achieving the dream of using that inferno smoke as additional cover, but takes a lser hit to the right leg from an Ice Ferret, losing a hip actuator and spraying heat sink fluid all around, while the Mist Lynx bursts a heat sink the Grasshopper's left torso. An allied Sholagar ruins the Stormcrow's aim with a laser to the right shoulder, fusing the joint. The Mist Lynx struggles up, but Xwraith is on the ball with the Thunderbolt's large laser, zapping it center of mass and sending it crashing back down.

Underfire from SgtSoldier and Xwraith, the Mad Dog goes down again. This time, Xwraith crushes its left leg with a stomp, ensuring it won't be getting up again. With a little more enthusiasm than necessary, as the impact also cracks the remaining LRM launcher and the engine shielding. Again.

The guy in the Vulture bails out pretty quickly after that and we're left with a Stormcrow and an Ice Ferret trying to clear out to the west. We give a symbolic pursuit, but are unable to keep up with the faster clan mechs, and neither are the Kurita units to the south.

Overall, we can *probably* consider this a victory, in that the clan force got badly beat up and couldn't advance through this sector.

Wolf lets out a breath as the clan units break for it. Another day, another battle where we all survived.

Getting a 1:1 trade with clanners isn't too bad, although the weight of units lost skews heavily in the clanners favor. Out of the twelve mechs they started with, the Kurita guys have five functional ones and most of their losses are irrecoverable ammo detonations. We didn't escape unscathed either: our Starfire took an engine hit and isn't combat-effective until that's fixed, while our Sholagar has to do "belly-flop" landings since the landing gear has been knocked out.

Mech-wise, Wolf's Grasshopper took a hip hit, so it's not coming back into the fight any time soon. The Rifleman lost basically everything but the center torso, although at least we're able to recover the LBX autocannons. Xwraith's Thunderbolt and SgtSoldier's Phoenix Hawk just took some armor damage, should be fixed up within the day.

The Kurita forces claim the Summoner (in slightly better shape than the one we traded for, but not by much), a pair of Stormcrows, and a Nova, and a Mad Dog.

We claim a "Bashkir Prime" aerospace fighter (thanks to Xwraith), the Warhawk (our Starfire pilot gets the kill credit), the Mist Lynx wreckage (Wolf got that one), and a Mad Dog (just missing an arm and a leg).

We'll need to figure out if we want to do any salvage trading, keeping in mind we owe Kurita 5 tons and are trading at a 2:1 tonnage exchange rate.

The Bashkir Prime actually survived its crash landing pretty well. Well, it won't ever fly again since it's bent in half, but the on-board equipment did ok. It has a pair of ER Medium Lasers, an ER Small and a Streak SRM/2 launcher with a full 50 tons of ammo.

The Warhawk is missing its right torso and left arm, and one of the PPCs is completely blown out, along with the LRM launcher and the targeting computer. Not to mention the heavy engine damage and needing to replace two of the clan-spec heat sinks. With some work and removing the debris that was the targeting computer, as well as replacing the ferro-fibrous armor, it can be re-constituted.

The Mist Lynx wreckage isn't much to look at, at this point it's basically two ER Medium Lasers and a clan-spec active probe, so if we keep it, it's for spare parts.

The Mad Dog we're claiming is missing a medium pulse laser and an LRM/20 launcher along with its left leg and right arm, but the rest of the weapons are intact and we could get it working, though, for logistics reasons, the ferro-fibrous armor needs to go.

Of the stuff the Kurita guys have, we may want the Summoner, Nova and Mad Dog. With two "partial" Summoners, we should be able to put together one. Same goes for the Nova and Mad Dog.

Trade-in (2:1 ratio, we owe 5 tons)
We get:
[] Summoner: 70 tons
[] Mad Dog: 60 tons;
[] Nova: 50 tons;

We give:
[] Bashkir: 20 tons
[] Mist Lynx: 25 tons
[] Mad Dog: 60 tons
[] Warhawk: 85 tons
[] Write-in one or more of the other clan mechs we already have

With the exception of the Nova, we'll have to trade everything in to get one of the other mechs, or give the Kurita guys some of the mechs we already traded for.

---

Meanwhile, just a few kilometers from the just-wrapped-up battle, a medium-heavy clan trinary engages yet another reinforced company of Kurita mechs. It would be pretty even odds, if it wasn't for the extra ten Elemental squads. We'll need to send at least two lances to help, or one aerospace flight (with some fuel-air bombs to clear toads quickly) and a mech lance. Or maybe get some artillery in there, but the way we wind up getting intermixed, it might not work out too well. Hell, we're lucky the Kurita aerospace fighters were so spot-on with their bombs.

We've got 1 aerospace flight and 9 mech lances left
[] specify number of aerospace flights
[] specify number of mech lances
[] artillery support instead?
Black Lives Matter
Leraje

Post by Leraje »

NickAragua wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 8:58 pm We've got 1 aerospace flight and 9 mech lances left
[] specify number of aerospace flights
[2] specify number of mech lances
Definitely would like to keep the Warhawk, turn into something like this and take it out for a stomp. That would make me one happy camper :violence-snipersmiley:
Leraje

Post by Leraje »

We also need to implement this paint job for our trophy mechs :D
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Leraje wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 9:43 pm We also need to implement this paint job for our trophy mechs :D
Hot pink, you say? Can do!
Black Lives Matter
Leraje

Post by Leraje »

NickAragua wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 11:19 pm
Leraje wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 9:43 pm We also need to implement this paint job for our trophy mechs :D
Hot pink, you say? Can do!
Hello Kitty hot pink!
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Doesn't the "kitty" part conflict with our octopus branding, though?
Black Lives Matter.
Leraje

Post by Leraje »

El Guapo wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 12:54 am Doesn't the "kitty" part conflict with our octopus branding, though?
May be a bit, but think of Jaguar reaction...
moleymoleymoley

We're going to need a trial of possession for some clan techs at this rate
moleymoleymoley

We've got 1 aerospace flight and 9 mech lances left
[1] specify number of aerospace flights
[1] specify number of mech lances

Trade all 3 mechs for the warhawk?
Leraje

Post by Leraje »

Leraje wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 1:19 am
El Guapo wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 12:54 am Doesn't the "kitty" part conflict with our octopus branding, though?
May be a bit, but think of Jaguar reaction...
Or we can add some tentacles to a kitty head logo and start praising Cathulhu...
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Is there some big set piece battle in our future which we should be saving our air support for or should we just assign it while we have it?
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
TotallyNotEvil

Post by TotallyNotEvil »

NickAragua wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 8:58 pm
Meanwhile, just a few kilometers from the just-wrapped-up battle, a medium-heavy clan trinary engages yet another reinforced company of Kurita mechs. It would be pretty even odds, if it wasn't for the extra ten Elemental squads. We'll need to send at least two lances to help, or one aerospace flight (with some fuel-air bombs to clear toads quickly) and a mech lance. Or maybe get some artillery in there, but the way we wind up getting intermixed, it might not work out too well. Hell, we're lucky the Kurita aerospace fighters were so spot-on with their bombs.
15 clanners vs 16 Kuritas is even odds?

They probably have almost twice the BV value.
Leraje wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 8:26 pm That would make very happy until we can bag a Warhawk. :D
Those astech sacrifices during the battle got delayed and came in all at once, it seems.

God, this uneven trading is such bullshit. Everything we got would cover the Warhawk and our debt, but damn.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I don't think we should do any trades at this point. I don't think that we have a particularly strong need / desire for any of the other mechs, and overall I think it's best just to amass as much Clan salvage as we can. It sounds like we probably won't have time to turn anything around in time to use it against Smoke Jaguar in this campaign, so overall we can collect as much as possible, and then see at the end what we have, and can probably (if we survive) work out better trades (and we wouldn't be semi-captive to Kurita at that point, so we could basically have Kurita and other mercenaries bid against each other for trades.
Black Lives Matter.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

El Guapo wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 10:07 am I don't think we should do any trades at this point. I don't think that we have a particularly strong need / desire for any of the other mechs, and overall I think it's best just to amass as much Clan salvage as we can. It sounds like we probably won't have time to turn anything around in time to use it against Smoke Jaguar in this campaign, so overall we can collect as much as possible, and then see at the end what we have, and can probably (if we survive) work out better trades (and we wouldn't be semi-captive to Kurita at that point, so we could basically have Kurita and other mercenaries bid against each other for trades.
I like how you think. That makes a lot of sense.

Black Lives Matter

TotallyNotEvil

Post by TotallyNotEvil »

We've kind of paid through the nose for what we traded already, yeah.

[X] Trade Nothing

Aerospace is really, really potent when used right, huh? I kind of want to save ours for a more crucial battle... but that way leads losing piecemeal, doesn't it?

[X] Send one aerospace lance
[X] Send two mech lances

I'd rather send too many and get more salvage/make it out better than send the bare minimum. I'm kind of inclined towards sending 3 lances, too.

Nick, how long before those of us more unscathed from the big showdown can get back out there?
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

If we win this one, any units we want to re-deploy will be available for redeployment for the next non-aerospace battle: this looks like the final clan push out of this particular landing zone.

Otherwise, we'll have to keep those units in the area to prevent the clan force from breaking out any further.
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Do we have a sense as to how many battles we'll be engaged in / the general scope of this campaign? Is it basically "however many battles it takes until they retreat from Lothien"?

I'm just trying to get a rough handle on how our rate of attrition compares to how many battles we estimate that we'll have to participate in. In other words, do we expect to remain an effective fighting force through the end of our engagement, at our present casualty rate?
Black Lives Matter.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

El Guapo wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 4:30 pm I'm just trying to get a rough handle on how our rate of attrition compares to how many battles we estimate that we'll have to participate in. In other words, do we expect to remain an effective fighting force through the end of our engagement, at our present casualty rate?
From what I'm seeing, the answer is "barely".

You have an outstanding ten "requests" to provide supporting forces, including at least one more aerospace flight. You've got the un-deployed aerospace flight, ten lances of mechs, three tank lances, an artillery lance and some miscellaneous units and loose mechs that you can form into a lance in a pinch.

So far, you've got another lance's worth of mechs that will either have to stick around to secure their area of operations or can be released if this upcoming fight goes well.
Black Lives Matter
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

NickAragua wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 4:07 pm If we win this one, any units we want to re-deploy will be available for redeployment for the next non-aerospace battle: this looks like the final clan push out of this particular landing zone.

Otherwise, we'll have to keep those units in the area to prevent the clan force from breaking out any further.
So it seems that it’s in our best interest to blunt their breakout so like TotallyNotEvil suggested I’m for sending…

[X] Send two mech lances
Black lives matter!

TheMix

Post by TheMix »

$iljanus wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 5:05 pm
NickAragua wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 4:07 pm If we win this one, any units we want to re-deploy will be available for redeployment for the next non-aerospace battle: this looks like the final clan push out of this particular landing zone.

So it seems that it’s in our best interest to blunt their breakout so like TotallyNotEvil suggested I’m for sending…

[X] Send two mech lances
I'd back this (I can't remember if I've already responded - it's been a hectic day). But I think we should also have the aerospace guys make a limited number of passes and have them bug out before they get too much attention. It sounds like we may need them more in the near future. And they aren't very replaceable.

Black Lives Matter

Leraje

Post by Leraje »

TotallyNotEvil wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 9:48 am God, this uneven trading is such bullshit. Everything we got would cover the Warhawk and our debt, but damn.
It is, but on a bright side, we do not need to "trade" for Warhawk - it's part of our salvage already.