Let's Play: Battletech via MegaMek (G2)

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

El Guapo

Re: Let's Play: Battletech via MegaMek (G2)

Post by El Guapo »

NickAragua wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 1:09 pm

To smooth over some ruffled Kurita feathers, it's recommended that we hand one of these over.
[] Adder - lose two ER Medium Lasers, a Large Pulse Laser, a Flamer, an LB-5X (no ammo) and some armor
[] Mist Lynx #1 - lose LRM/10 (5 shots), Streak SRM/4, 2x Machine Gun, active probe, tiny amount of armor
[] Mist Lynx #2 - lose Streak SRM/4, 2x Machine Gun, active probe, tiny amount of fancy armor
[X] Mist Lynx #3 - Lose 2x ER Medium Laser, active probe, tiny amount of fancy armor
I don't think we care much about any of the Lynx #3 stuff.
[] Stormcrow #1 - lose 2x large, 2x medium laser; small amount of fancy armor
[] Stormcrow #2 - lose 2x LRM/20 (22 shots), 2x SRM/2 (90 shots), 2x Narc (9 shots); small amount of fancy armor
[] Stormcrow #3 - lose 4x medium pulse laser, streak SRM/6 (15 shots), small amount of fancy armor
[] Stormcrow #4 - lose UAC/20 (3 shots), 6x medium laser, small amount of fancy armor
[] Stormcrow #5 - lose 1x large, 2x medium laser; small amount of fancy armor
[] Nova #1 - lose LB-5X (28 shots), LRM/20 (1 shot)
[X] Nova #2 - lose 11x medium laser
[X] Tell Moneyshot that he needs to suck it up and pick one of our spare mechs if he wants to sign up.
I don't think we're hurting too much for mechwarriors, right? Not sure why we need to trade stuff essentially just to get this guy (or does he have great stats?). If we do want him I'd be inclined to lose Nova #2, especially since we're working on being able to manufacture our own medium lasers anyway.
[] Contact the Kurita, offer to trade additional mechs for the Black Knight if they have it
[X] Leraje gets first pick on one of the recovered clanner mechs (minus the Dire Wolf, which has already been claimed; we have several Thors, which are fair game)
Leraje can pick on this as far as I'm concerned, but I'd be inclined to go with option #2.
Black Lives Matter.
Leraje

Post by Leraje »

NickAragua wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 1:09 pm [] Adder - lose two ER Medium Lasers, a Large Pulse Laser, a Flamer, an LB-5X (no ammo) and some armor
[] Mist Lynx #1 - lose LRM/10 (5 shots), Streak SRM/4, 2x Machine Gun, active probe, tiny amount of armor
[x] Mist Lynx #2 - lose Streak SRM/4, 2x Machine Gun, active probe, tiny amount of fancy armor
[] Mist Lynx #3 - Lose 2x ER Medium Laser, active probe, tiny amount of fancy armor

[] Stormcrow #1 - lose 2x large, 2x medium laser; small amount of fancy armor
[] Stormcrow #2 - lose 2x LRM/20 (22 shots), 2x SRM/2 (90 shots), 2x Narc (9 shots); small amount of fancy armor
[] Stormcrow #3 - lose 4x medium pulse laser, streak SRM/6 (15 shots), small amount of fancy armor
[] Stormcrow #4 - lose UAC/20 (3 shots), 6x medium laser, small amount of fancy armor
[x] Stormcrow #5 - lose 1x large, 2x medium laser; small amount of fancy armor
[] Nova #1 - lose LB-5X (28 shots), LRM/20 (1 shot)
[] Nova #2 - lose 11x medium laser
Give them minimal amount of useful parts. Rip the weapons out if we can as well.
NickAragua wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 1:09 pm [] Contact the Kurita, offer to trade additional mechs for the Black Knight if they have it
[x] Leraje gets first pick on one of the recovered clanner mechs (minus the Dire Wolf, which has already been claimed; we have several Thors, which are fair game)
Warhawk. If I remember correctly we bagged a couple of them.
Leraje

Post by Leraje »

El Guapo wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 1:28 pm If we do want him I'd be inclined to lose Nova #2, especially since we're working on being able to manufacture our own medium lasers anyway.
Those are Clan medium lasers, we should keep them and give away ammo based weapons, as getting refills for them would be a bitch.
xwraith

Post by xwraith »

My .02 credits:

[X] Mist Lynx #2 - lose Streak SRM/4, 2x Machine Gun, active probe, tiny amount of fancy armor

[X] Stormcrow #2 - lose 2x LRM/20 (22 shots), 2x SRM/2 (90 shots), 2x Narc (9 shots); small amount of fancy armor

Never give up lasers if you don't have to.

[X] Leraje gets first pick on one of the recovered clanner mechs (minus the Dire Wolf, which has already been claimed; we have several Thors, which are fair game)

Not sure we would trade a clan mech for a Black Knight other than we can maintain a BK easier?

Also I vote all Thunderbolt pilots get upgraded to Thors... It's only natural, they are basically the next gen of what we pilot today.
I forgot to call it "a box of pure malevolent evil, a purveyor of
insidious insanity, an eldritch manifestation that would make Bill
Gates let out a low whistle of admiration," but it's all those, too.
-- David Gerard, Re: [Mediawiki-l] Wikitext grammar, 2010.08.06
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Leraje wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 1:32 pm
El Guapo wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 1:28 pm If we do want him I'd be inclined to lose Nova #2, especially since we're working on being able to manufacture our own medium lasers anyway.
Those are Clan medium lasers, we should keep them and give away ammo based weapons, as getting refills for them would be a bitch.
Yeah, that's a good point. Stormcrow #5 is fine to trade away (though my #1 preference is to tell Moneyshot to suck it up and leave his mech behind, unless he has a really good WARM (Wins Above Replacement Mechwarrior) stat.
Black Lives Matter.
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

I'm struggling to see trading a clan mech for an IS Hunchback.
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

xwraith wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 1:32 pm My .02 credits:

[X] Mist Lynx #2 - lose Streak SRM/4, 2x Machine Gun, active probe, tiny amount of fancy armor

[X] Stormcrow #2 - lose 2x LRM/20 (22 shots), 2x SRM/2 (90 shots), 2x Narc (9 shots); small amount of fancy armor

Why does everyone want to give up Stormcrow #5 w/ all the lasers? This thing ain't got squat we care about in weapons. If we're giving one up, this is the one to give up.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Freyland wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 3:11 pm I'm struggling to see trading a clan mech for an IS Hunchback.
This was my first thought. They want a medium for a medium. Sure. They want a clan medium for their non-clan medium? Go pound sand. Either they take a regular, he leaves his behind, or we find replacement mech pilots elsewhere.

Also, I thought the 5 ton deficit was that we have to pony up 10 tons to cover. 2 to 1, right? So why would we give them an intact 25 ton mech? Or even mostly intact. I'm with Leraje, rip out any useful weapons. A 25 ton mech, even just the frame, engine, armor, etc. should more than satisfy the 5 tons we owe them.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Also, my money is on Kurita taking our Blackhawk. But I'll be damn if we are going to give them clan tech to recover it. Leraje can break in a new seat. :D

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Zenn7 wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 6:39 pm

Why does everyone want to give up Stormcrow #5 w/ all the lasers? This thing ain't got squat we care about in weapons. If we're giving one up, this is the one to give up.
Sums it up nicely for me. And unless that fella who wants to join us is some mechwarrior prodigy I don't think I want to give up a Clan mech for his company. Probably works for Kurita intelligence...
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
TotallyNotEvil

Post by TotallyNotEvil »

Is Moneyshot a player, or can we refuse him/tell him to let the Hunchie go?

Hell, I'd offer one of the IS medium on the stable if the guy is really like 1/2 good, but I don't really want to trade a clan medium for a half busted up 3025 Hunchback.

For paying those five tons, while it's very painful to lose a C-LPL, at least we can put a Mist Lynx together, so I'd give away the Adder.

Hey Nick, can we use clan missile launchers with IS ammo?
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

So after we get refitted will there be more opportunities to take on more contracts against the Clans? You do get a taste for Clan salvage after a few encounters :D
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

TotallyNotEvil wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 8:35 pm For paying those five tons, while it's very painful to lose a C-LPL, at least we can put a Mist Lynx together, so I'd give away the Adder.
You should check again, I'm pretty sure that C-LPL was destroyed during battle....

Black Lives Matter

NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

TotallyNotEvil wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 8:35 pm Is Moneyshot a player, or can we refuse him/tell him to let the Hunchie go?

Hell, I'd offer one of the IS medium on the stable if the guy is really like 1/2 good, but I don't really want to trade a clan medium for a half busted up 3025 Hunchback.

For paying those five tons, while it's very painful to lose a C-LPL, at least we can put a Mist Lynx together, so I'd give away the Adder.

Moneyshot is a player. 2 gunnery, 4 piloting, so pretty good shot. But I'm reasonably sure he wouldn't turn his nose up at being offered to drive around in some Star League or clan tech instead of a shot-up Hunchback. Or we could, uh, refit one of our spare Hunchbacks and he just has to bring his seat so he doesn't have to give up his ass groove. Kind of wish that occurred to me when I was writing the update, lol.

The clan missile launchers can't re-use IS ammo - they *look* similar, but the warhead physical and electronic characteristics are substantially different.
Black Lives Matter
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

TheMix wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 8:52 pm
TotallyNotEvil wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 8:35 pm For paying those five tons, while it's very painful to lose a C-LPL, at least we can put a Mist Lynx together, so I'd give away the Adder.
You should check again, I'm pretty sure that C-LPL was destroyed during battle....
Hehe, good one.
Black Lives Matter
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

$iljanus wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 8:51 pm So after we get refitted will there be more opportunities to take on more contracts against the Clans? You do get a taste for Clan salvage after a few encounters :D
Spoiler alert: the clans never go away, they just get worse.
Black Lives Matter
moleymoleymoley

Post by moleymoleymoley »

Good god the stormcrow A & B sound good
moleymoleymoley

$iljanus wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 7:38 pm
Zenn7 wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 6:39 pm

Sums it up nicely for me.
What these guys said, plus surely we have a hbk we can slap some clan MLs on for new guy?
moleymoleymoley

I also wonder if we should just do a lot of stripping of weapons armour and heat sinks and trading chassis to wolf dragoons in exchange for some goodies?
TotallyNotEvil

Post by TotallyNotEvil »

NickAragua wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 9:48 pm
TotallyNotEvil wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 8:35 pm Is Moneyshot a player, or can we refuse him/tell him to let the Hunchie go?

Moneyshot is a player. 2 gunnery, 4 piloting, so pretty good shot. But I'm reasonably sure he wouldn't turn his nose up at being offered to drive around in some Star League or clan tech instead of a shot-up Hunchback. Or we could, uh, refit one of our spare Hunchbacks and he just has to bring his seat so he doesn't have to give up his ass groove. Kind of wish that occurred to me when I was writing the update, lol.

The clan missile launchers can't re-use IS ammo - they *look* similar, but the warhead physical and electronic characteristics are substantially different.
That sounds much better. Can you, I don't know, do a mid-vote threadmark on SV to let folks know it's an option?

[X] Offer Moneyshot a refitted Level 2 Hunchback of our own, so he only needs to bring his chair. He can pay the difference in value during service.

Effectively, he "gives us" the L1 Hunchback, we "give him" a L2 Hunchie on store credit because he is a pretty decent pilot, and we just happen to forget the original one in Luthien.

That way, we keep incredibly precious clan salvage and get the new player. Sounds good?
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

TotallyNotEvil wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 7:41 am

That sounds much better. Can you, I don't know, do a mid-vote threadmark on SV to let folks know it's an option?

[X] Offer Moneyshot a refitted Level 2 Hunchback of our own, so he only needs to bring his chair. He can pay the difference in value during service.

Effectively, he "gives us" the L1 Hunchback, we "give him" a L2 Hunchie on store credit because he is a pretty decent pilot, and we just happen to forget the original one in Luthien.

That way, we keep incredibly precious clan salvage and get the new player. Sounds good?
That sounds like a reasonable approach.
Black lives matter!

AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Agree.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

$iljanus wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 10:15 am
TotallyNotEvil wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 7:41 am

That sounds like a reasonable approach.
I agree, but yeah, make sure we get his chair. I can tell you from experience it takes a bit to get your ass groove in your chair again.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Whew, this one's going to take a while. We got really shot up *and* salvaged a lot of clan mechs.
Black Lives Matter
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Vote Results:
Spoiler:
Hurt Feelings Mitigation:
Adder |||||
Mist Lynx #2 |||

Hunchback trade:
Stormcrow #2 |||
Stormcrow #5 ||
Suck it up bro ||||

Leraje's Mech:
Warhawk
We decide to send the Adder over to the Kurita guys. We're keeping the large pulse and two ER medium lasers, though, in addition to a clan-spec double heat sink (the rest of the remaining ones are integrated into the engine). We are nice enough to fix some defects that our mechs had "introduced" to the center torso. Our tech team has a few issues getting the large pulse laser dismounted - apparently one of our astechs is not particularly bright and keeps re-connecting all the wires. One smack upside the head from the lead tech a couple of hours later sorts him out, and the Adder is wheeled out onto a flatbed and handed over to a practically salivating Kurita crew. We're sure they'll get a kick out of working with that XL engine, the endo-steel structure and advanced ferro-fibrous armor.

----

"Look, Mr, uh, Moneyshot." El Guapo says to the new recruit. "I understand attachment to a mech, believe me. I've had my Marauder for a few years now." he knocks on wood. "But you do understand that you're asking us to trade crazy clan tech for a mech that can be found in pretty much every planetary militia, right? Not to mention the most important part of the mech has been blown up."

Moneyshot chuckles. "Yes, I do. I just like my chair."

"You can... bring the chair? We've got a bunch of spare Hunchbacks you can drive, we just have to have some tech time to refit them to the correct model." El Guapo replies. "By the way, which one is the correct model?" He asks, expectantly.

"The 4G, obviously. It's not a Hunchback if it doesn't have an AC/20." Moneyshot replies, deadpan.

El Guapo smiles and extends his hand. "Welcome to the First Octopus Overlords, private."

----

"Phew." Leraje lets the air out of his mouth, looking at the Warhawk. The long, bulbous legs (with one foot completely fried) serve to hold up a relatively squat torso, flanked by two arms. Well, theoretically two arms. There's only one actual arm, equipped with twin PPCs - the other one has been removed. Battle ROM footage indicates that there were two more PPCs on the other arm, along with an afterthought LRM/10 launcher. Now, the left arm is laying on the ground next to the mech, its left torso wrecked all to hell. Not to mention that the mechwarrior punched out, leaving a giant hole where the cockpit ejection set was.

"You're welcome." Wolf states, standing next to Leraje. "That was not an easy target to take down."

"No, I imagine not." Leraje replies. "Four of those extended-range PPCs, though, that's pretty crazy. You'd shut down, firing all those."

Wolf nods in agreement. "Perhaps. You'll have to tune it up a little... and the techs say there used to be a specialized targeting computer in there." the mechwarrior points at a large tangle of wires in the 85-ton mech's right torso.

Leraje scoffs. "Mechs already have a targeting computer, what do they need another one for? Can't they just shoot straight?"

Wolf shrugs. "You can always shoot straighter."

Leraje nods. "Fair enough. But now we have to figure out what else to stick in that space."

---

We set up a large hangar space in the Jumbo's cavernous cargo bays where we start stripping the salvaged clan mechs that we aren't going to keep for parts. Generally, the plan is to keep armor and ammo, weapons, heat sinks, etc; we can trade some stuff away on a case by case basis.

Major refits will have to wait until we get to Outreach and the factories there. The Dragoons took some major casualties on Luthien, so they're going to be running their factories day and night, but, because we fought and bled alongside them, we get an equal crack at what comes out. We don't need much, just some head assemblies for a hundred ton mech that's never been manufactured in the Inner Sphere.

Travel time winds up being a little over four months. The parts market is a little crazy right now, with way more demand than supply - the resumption of Clan hostilities has everyone clamoring for everything from gauss rifles to foot actuators.

The idea of trading some clan weapons and equipment for high-end Inner Sphere equipment has been brought up, and we will be doing that on a limited basis: for example, a lot of the mechs we salvaged have LB-5X autocannons, for which nobody makes ammo and they also just don't pack a very big punch. The chassis, though, without the equipment, aren't worth too much.

Some of the repairs on the clan mechs are just too complicated for the "transport bay" conditions in transit - the technology is just too different and even our normally elite techs are scared of screwing around with it. When we get to Outreach, we'll have access to factory-quality facilities, so we'll be able to custom-fabricate some parts as necessary and have the tools to carry out the refits we need.

There's one amusing oddity - a couple of our mechwarriors observe the mech techs all standing around a particularly beat-up looking heat sink. There's not a single pipe on the device that hasn't suffered some damage - most are either dented or have had obvious patches welded onto them. Normally, we'd just toss it, because who the hell wants something like that in their mech, breaking every five seconds and leaking coolant everywhere? But it's a double heat sink. So we keep it, and the mech techs have made it almost a ritual to, every week, take it out of whichever mech it's mounted in, polish it up, and run the full battery of tests on it to make sure it won't burst in the next battle.
---

Four months later, when we do get to Outreach, one of the first things we do is take one of the clan mechs to a firing range to familiarize ourselves with the weapons' range brackets. To our great surprise, the clan ammo-based weapons *are* compatible with Inner Sphere weaponry. For the most part. Stuff like the class 20 ultra autocannon, nobody makes the ammo for, is still going to be tough, but the standard LB-10X, UAC/5 and LRMs work just fine. This makes retaining the ammo-based clan mechs a lot more viable in some cases.

One of the mechs we manage to get working without factory intervention is the Nova. Mostly because the only "core" fancy components are the 250 XL engine and the double heat sinks. This mech has twelve, count 'em, twelve clan-spec extended-range medium lasers. This generates a whopping 60 heat, plus 5 for the jump jets, while the heat sinks can only compensate for 36. Even our battle-hardened Inner Sphere mechwarriors, who are used to managing heat, are kind of terrified of riding around in a machine that can just shut itself down while firing lasers.

The jump jets and some of the heat sinks are fixed, so our techs are reluctant to touch those, even in factory conditions, but plugging lasers in and out is trivial. The modification proposed is pretty straightforward - remove four of the lasers, and add four more double heat sinks. This will give us a peak heat rating of 45 while sinking 44, which is much more reasonable.

Or, we could just give the mechwarrior who drives it a bandana to soak up the sweat and some bottled water and tell them to suck it up.

[] Reduced-laser-count Prime configuration; less lasers; good heat management
[] OMG LAZER PEW PEW PEW; [shutdown initiated]

The Hellbringer will be next, once we fix the actuators. The one we salvaged is a 65-ton mech with 13 double heat sinks. For weapons, it packs an LB-5X autocannon, a gauss rifle, a small laser and twin SRM/6 launchers. The LB-5X autocannon is problematic without ammo, and nobody cares about small lasers. Armor load is a little light, too.

There's also the Prime configuration, which we've seen pretty often. Twin PPCs, a targeting computer (which we don't have), clan ECM and active probes (which we don't have), anti-missile system (which we don't have). And uh, anti-personnel pods on the legs. In case... in case infantry swarm the mech. But the twin PPCs and triple medium lasers are pretty neat. We can install those, then ditch the rest of the crap for more armor.

What do we do as the base configuration?
[] Prime; Twin PPCs, three ER medium lasers, a bunch of other equipment we don't have anyway
[] Stick with B config; Gauss rifle, LB-5X, small laser, 2x SRM/6 launcher.

The Dire Wolf goes to El Guapo. It's a monster, no question about it. Four ER Large Lasers, four medium pulse lasers, twin ultra AC/5s and an LRM/10 rack. LRM count is a little low, but armor is near maximum. We could probably swap something out for a couple of extra heat sinks (assuming we have extra clan-spec double heat sinks), or just leave it as is.

[] Leave as is
[] Swap one or more of the guns out for more heat sinks, assuming we have spare heat sinks

Warhawk goes to Leraje. It's got... four PPCs and an LRM/10 launcher. Firing all four PPCs and the LRMs at the same time while running will shut you down almost every time. Our techs discover that this mech is one ton underweight for some reason, and, "luckily", the targeting computer got blown out, so that's five tons of scrap we can take out and replace with six double heat sinks for significantly improved heat management (4 PPCs, alternating with 2 PPCs + LRM launcher). Alternately, we could change the clan-spec ferro-fibrous armor out for standard armor, which will still let us add three more double heat sinks for a similar heat management profile (although, really, don't fire all four PPCs at once).

[] Replace targeting computer wreckage with 6x double heat sinks
[] Replace targeting computer wreckage with standard armor and 3x double heat sinks

We'll be able to get two Timber Wolves working - an A Config and a Prime. The Prime is the iconic design everyone knows and loves - two large lasers, two medium lasers, two LRM/20 racks on the shoulders, a pulse laser and two machine guns. Reducing the excessive MG ammo count to half is a no-brainer, but the real problem with both of these is the endo-steel structure and ferro-fibrous armor. Nobody in the Inner Sphere makes the clan-spec versions of these, so we'll be running out of spare armor real quick, thus we'll have to downgrade the armor (or we'll basically have enough spare armor to use it for one battle and *then* have to downgrade the armor in the field). This means we have to free up two tons to maintain the same level of protection.

One obvious option for the Prime to ditch the machine guns, but that only frees up 1.5 tons, so then we'd have to reduce armor protection or use Inner Sphere ferro-fibrous armor. Another option is to drop the medium pulse laser - it's rarely used and the mech's heat profile isn't that great.

Timber Wolf Prime downgrade:
[] Drop pulse laser
[] Drop machine guns, ammo and use Inner Sphere ferro-fibrous armor instead
[] Other proposal

The A variant packs two PPCs, three medium pulse lasers, a streak SRM/6 (with only 8 shots) and a small laser. Again, we're looking to drop two tons somewhere. The small laser is half a ton, medium pulse laser is two tons, streak SRM/6 is 4 tons and nobody makes ammo for it, so we could sub in some Inner Sphere weaponry.

[] Drop a pulse laser
[] Drop streak SRM/6 and replace it with slightly inferior IS weaponry
[] Use Inner Sphere ferro-fibrous armor instead, only have to drop one ton
[] Write-in

We've got one Summoner (and some spare parts), flagged by Moley. Again, we'll need to downgrade the armor, which means dropping two tons from somewhere. The Prime config packs an LB-10X autocannon, an extended-range PPC and an LRM/15 rack. The LBX only has ten shots, while the LRM/15 rack has twelve shots, so the combat endurance of the mech is limited. The only immediately obvious place to shave off weight is to remove a double heat sink, as the mech generates a maximum of 27 heat while bleeding off 28. Using Inner Sphere grade ferro-fibrous armor makes it so we only have to drop one ton instead of two, so that's a possible solution. As for improving combat endurance, we could drop another heat sink to add another ton of LBX ammo.

[] Drop heat sink and use IS ferro-fibrous armor
[] Drop two heat sinks, use IS ferro-fibrous armor and add an extra ton of LBX autocannon ammo
[] Write-in

We've got a fully-intact Mad Dog Prime (and spare parts). Four pulse lasers (two large, two medium) and twin LRM/20 launchers, but only twelve shots between the two of them. It's a good mech, but the ferro-fibrous armor will be a problem. We'll have to down-grade to Inner Sphere variety; also, having only six salvos of LRMs isn't that great. Dropping heat sinks isn't really an option on this heat-intensive mech, so we can drop a pulse laser, or maybe downgrade the LRM launchers.

[] Drop a medium pulse laser, use IS ferro-fibrous armor
[] Downgrade LRM racks to 15s, like the Catapult did back in the day

We've got an Executioner (C-Config). This 95-ton monstrosity has basically two guns (and a small laser). The first gun is an ultra AC/20. That's right, two shots of AC/20 goodness, with a surprising three tons of ammo for reasonable battlefield endurance. It's also got an LRM/20 rack with Artemis, a targeting computer and MASC to close rapidly with the enemy so you can but that UAC to use. And jump jets in case you need to hop behind someone to core them out. It's like a Highlander on steroids. The only problem - between all our salvaged clan mechs, we've only scraped together three shots for the UAC/20. Womp womp womp.

Oh, and it's got ferro-fibrous armor. Clanners just love that stuff. So, we gotta drop a ton of weight somewhere (we can drop three, four or even five - it's got too many heat sinks). Also, (and this brings a tear to the eye of any mechwarrior listening) we have to ditch the UAC until we can source some ammo for it. We've got the standard line-up of good quality Inner Sphere weapons: Gauss rifle, LB-10X autocannon and AC/20. The gauss rifle is objectively superior to the other two, except in raw damage output at point blank ranges, where the AC/20 is king. Some mechwarriors would prefer the LB-10X instead as it's easier to hit things with the cluster rounds, but it puts out a lot less damage.

Executioner downgrade
[] Gauss Rifle
[] LB-10X
[] AC/20

Last, but not least, we've got two or three Stormcrows (' worth of parts). The question is which ones we re-construct. The Prime variant is the most common one, featuring two large and three medium lasers, and heat sinks that handle the load easily. We can even downgrade the armor on those, drop a heat sink, and not really suffer any drop in performance. The A config has four pulse lasers, an LRM/20 rack and twin streak/6 racks. Ammo count is good, but people don't make streak SRM/6 ammo in our parts. The B config has six medium lasers and an ultra AC/20 with ten shots, but, uh, well, ultra AC/20 ammo. The D config is a weird one, it's got 40 LRM tubes, 4 SRM tubes and a NARC launcher. Ammo count is pretty good (in fact we could ditch one of the SRM 2 bins).

Each one, we'll have to drop some tonnage to downgrade the armor so we can use it without risking running out of armor mid-contract.

Pick 3
[] Prime: All Lasers, All Day
[] A config: Lasers, LRMs, streak SRMs, limited streak SRM ammo available
[] B config: Lasers, UAC/20, will have to downgrade the UAC/20
[] D config: LRMs, SRMs, NARC pods

Note that all of these will be used as general guidelines, and we'll try to make them work based on what spare parts we actually have.

So, if anyone wants to drive one of the un-claimed clan mechs, now's the time to choose, as well as any customization requests. We'll have a limited amount of spare clan parts, and a limited amount of high-tech inner sphere parts.
Black Lives Matter
Leraje

Post by Leraje »

NickAragua wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 10:52 pm Nova
[x] Reduced-laser-count Prime configuration; less lasers; good heat management
[] OMG LAZER PEW PEW PEW; [shutdown initiated]
Unless Zenn wants it as his backup ride, than OMG PEW PEW PEW all the way :P

Hellbringer
What do we do as the base configuration?
[x] Prime; Twin PPCs, three ER medium lasers, a bunch of other equipment we don't have anyway replaced with armour
[] Stick with B config; Gauss rifle, LB-5X, small laser, 2x SRM/6 launcher.

The Dire Wolf goes to El Guapo. It's a monster, no question about it. Four ER Large Lasers, four medium pulse lasers, twin ultra AC/5s and an LRM/10 rack. LRM count is a little low, but armor is near maximum. We could probably swap something out for a couple of extra heat sinks (assuming we have extra clan-spec double heat sinks), or just leave it as is.

[] Leave as is
[] Swap one or more of the guns out for more heat sinks, assuming we have spare heat sinks
[x] Up to El Guapo

Warhawk goes to Leraje. It's got... four PPCs and an LRM/10 launcher. Firing all four PPCs and the LRMs at the same time while running will shut you down almost every time. Our techs discover that this mech is one ton underweight for some reason, and, "luckily", the targeting computer got blown out, so that's five tons of scrap we can take out and replace with six double heat sinks for significantly improved heat management (4 PPCs, alternating with 2 PPCs + LRM launcher). Alternately, we could change the clan-spec ferro-fibrous armor out for standard armor, which will still let us add three more double heat sinks for a similar heat management profile (although, really, don't fire all four PPCs at once).

[] Replace targeting computer wreckage with 6x double heat sinks
[] Replace targeting computer wreckage with standard armor and 3x double heat sinks
[x] Replace targeting computer wreckage with 6x double heat sinks, rip out LRM and ammo (3.5T freed) in favour of standard armour.

Timber Wolf Prime downgrade:
[] Drop pulse laser
[x] Drop machine guns, ammo and use Inner Sphere ferro-fibrous armor instead
[] Other proposal

The A variant packs two PPCs, three medium pulse lasers, a streak SRM/6 (with only 8 shots) and a small laser. Again, we're looking to drop two tons somewhere. The small laser is half a ton, medium pulse laser is two tons, streak SRM/6 is 4 tons and nobody makes ammo for it, so we could sub in some Inner Sphere weaponry.

[] Drop a pulse laser
[x] Drop streak SRM/6 and replace it with slightly inferior IS weaponry
[x] Use Inner Sphere ferro-fibrous armor instead, only have to drop one ton
[] Write-in

We've got one Summoner (and some spare parts), flagged by Moley. Again, we'll need to downgrade the armor, which means dropping two tons from somewhere. The Prime config packs an LB-10X autocannon, an extended-range PPC and an LRM/15 rack. The LBX only has ten shots, while the LRM/15 rack has twelve shots, so the combat endurance of the mech is limited. The only immediately obvious place to shave off weight is to remove a double heat sink, as the mech generates a maximum of 27 heat while bleeding off 28. Using Inner Sphere grade ferro-fibrous armor makes it so we only have to drop one ton instead of two, so that's a possible solution. As for improving combat endurance, we could drop another heat sink to add another ton of LBX ammo.

[] Drop heat sink and use IS ferro-fibrous armor
[] Drop two heat sinks, use IS ferro-fibrous armor and add an extra ton of LBX autocannon ammo
[] Write-in

We've got a fully-intact Mad Dog Prime (and spare parts). Four pulse lasers (two large, two medium) and twin LRM/20 launchers, but only twelve shots between the two of them. It's a good mech, but the ferro-fibrous armor will be a problem. We'll have to down-grade to Inner Sphere variety; also, having only six salvos of LRMs isn't that great. Dropping heat sinks isn't really an option on this heat-intensive mech, so we can drop a pulse laser, or maybe downgrade the LRM launchers.

[] Drop a medium pulse laser, use IS ferro-fibrous armor
[x] Downgrade LRM racks to 15s, like the Catapult did back in the day

Executioner downgrade
[x] Gauss Rifle
[] LB-10X
[] AC/20

Last, but not least, we've got two or three Stormcrows (' worth of parts).
Pick 3
[xxx] Prime: All Lasers, All Day
[] A config: Lasers, LRMs, streak SRMs, limited streak SRM ammo available
[] B config: Lasers, UAC/20, will have to downgrade the UAC/20
[] D config: LRMs, SRMs, NARC pods
Overall try to avoid ammo-dependant systems till we can get a reliable supply for reloads.
Captainwolfer

Post by Captainwolfer »

As a heads up, I want the Hellbringer if possible. If we go with the prime variant with 2 ER PPC and 3 ER MLs, that would leave room for max armor, jump-jets, and a few more heatsinks
The order is- Lady Harrington, and no mercy!
moleymoleymoley

Wow. What a haul! I'll have to take a minute to go through the options but my immediate inkling is to downgrade my Thor's LRMs
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

I had to skim, because I'm getting ready for work, but if there is an appropriate Recon unit available, and not needed by someone who contributed more, I'm interested.
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
TotallyNotEvil

Post by TotallyNotEvil »

Nova
[X] Reduced-laser-count Prime configuration; less lasers; good heat management

Hellbringer
[X] Prime; Twin PPCs, three ER medium lasers, a bunch of other equipment we don't have anyway

Dire Wolf
[X] Up to El Guapo

Warhawk
[X] Up to Leraje

Summoner
[X] Up to Moley

Mad Dog
[x] Downgrade LRM racks to 15s, like the Catapult did back in the day

Executioner downgrade
[X] Gauss Rifle

Stormcrow
[X] Prime: All Lasers, All Day x3

So, I posted on SV, but I was eyeing up one of the Timber Wolfs, as it's in a very sweet spot for the kind of movement profile I like. So, I'd like to claim one of those.

I want to put JJs on it, does anyone have any suggestions?

Right now, I was thinking (all with 12.5t IS FF, 5 JJs):

Timber Wolf L-1: ERLL x2, ERML x2, C-LRM15 x2 (1t each), 18 C-DHS.
-> At 44 heat for an alpha strike with 36 sinked, that's a bit much for my tastes, even if the ERLL and LRMs together would allow a heat-neutral Fire and Run.

Timber Wolf L-2: C-LPL x2, C-ERML x2, C-MPL x2, 19 C-DHS
-> Heat-neutral alpha strike. I like the LPLs for a jumping mech, as I missed a lot of easy shots in our big showdown while using the ERPPC. This one is focused on getting close while jumping and then alpha-striking at mid-range and closer.

Timber Wolf L-3: C-ERPPC x2, C-LRM20 x1 (2t), 18 C-DHS
-> A simple idea: heat neutral alpha, and the LRM can be dropped for a full jump also without adding in heat. Doing both still leaves me below to-hit penalties.

TW L-4: C-LPL x3, TAG (Or SLS, maybe?), 18 C-DHS
-> Kind of a Jumping Pulse Awesome, tho with less armor. Heat neutral while jumping, so that's cool.

TW L-5: C-LPL x2, C-LRM 20 (2t), ERML x2, 16 DHS
-> Kind of a twist on L-1, lower damage at range, but more accurate.

TW L6: C-LPL x2, C-ERML x4, 20 C-DHS, TAG (Or an extra DHS? SLS?)
-> Inspired in the Nova.

Thoughts? The -1 and -3, have a substantial damage advantage at range, but I'm leaning C-LPL due the accuracy challenges of jumping (and also the fact that one of our astechs has laid a curse upon me).

The L-5 is growing on me. Not as much damage as the L-1, but the heat is a lot more manageable at 41/32 instead of 49/36.
Last edited by TotallyNotEvil on Fri Dec 17, 2021 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Leraje wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 1:39 am [snip]
Overall try to avoid ammo-dependent systems till we can get a reliable supply for reloads.
I agree with this (what I understood :D ).

I definitely agree with avoiding ammo-dependency when we don't have enough ammo. I'm also for downgrading from armor that we can't easily procure to readily available stuff.

I'll also volunteer for any mech that has some decent range. My last outing soured me on an "up close and personal" mech. :cry: I want to be one of the "sit back and snipe" mechs now. Though I'm not sure how good my targeting is; so maybe stay away from ranged ammo-dependent mechs (like the Executioner) to something with lots of lasers.

Also, what's the deal with the ammo? Is it so complicated that no one can figure out how to make it? Seems like we could set up some factories to crank out the clan-spec ammo and be set for life. :D

Black Lives Matter

El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

[] Leave as is
[X] Swap one or more of the guns out for more heat sinks, assuming we have spare heat sinks
I'm inclined to swap out the LRM10 for extra heat sinks if that'll work - I've never been a big fan of LRMs especially in smaller sizes, so being able to shoot the large lasers more often seems a lot more useful.

One question - how much flexibility do we have in modding these mechs? My sense is that Omnimechs are easier to just swap things in and out (though maybe we need more Clan tech to do that fully). Just thinking about some of the alternate designs that use PPCs and/or gauss rifles.

Also, the lasers on this thing are clan lasers, right? Since we got this thing mostly intact?
Black Lives Matter.
Leraje

Post by Leraje »

El Guapo wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 11:40 am

[] Leave as is
[X] Swap one or more of the guns out for more heat sinks, assuming we have spare heat sinks
I'm inclined to swap out the LRM10 for extra heat sinks if that'll work - I've never been a big fan of LRMs especially in smaller sizes, so being able to shoot the large lasers more often seems a lot more useful.

One question - how much flexibility do we have in modding these mechs? My sense is that Omnimechs are easier to just swap things in and out (though maybe we need more Clan tech to do that fully). Just thinking about some of the alternate designs that use PPCs and/or gauss rifles.

Also, the lasers on this thing are clan lasers, right? Since we got this thing mostly intact?
Something based of Dire Wolf - A would fit your bill:
3x LPL in right arm
Gauss rifle and 3x Ammo in the left arm

Other than that it has 2x SSRM6 (2t ammo) in LT and AMS (3T ammo) in RT. Skipping those will free 11.5T for other goodies to be installed.
LPLs weight as much as ErPPCs, so with some tweaking and subject to pars availability can create something like this:
Heat profile is 70/50 with lasers and 48/50 without.
TotallyNotEvil

Post by TotallyNotEvil »

The ammo-based weapons that aren't Clan-only, such as UAC-20 and LB-5X, have compatible munitions with IS equivalents.

So LRMs for half price weight are open season.

Also, lol at 3 fucking tons of AMS ammo. What the hell are they expecting to fight, a company of Longbows?

That ERPPC x3, GR and ERML x4 refit is like a better Hellstar, which is absolutely disgusting already. Well done =P

Leraje, you are pretty good with this mechanics thing, no comment on jumping Timby refits? The one thing I figured is that I could fit 2x LRM10 instead of a single 20er, as to keep to the original's aesthetic of twin launchers, twin double-laser arms if I go LPL x2, ERML x2.
Last edited by TotallyNotEvil on Fri Dec 17, 2021 1:52 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

If I could trade out my Grasshopper for a Timberwolf I would like to (if one is still available).

[] Drop a pulse laser
[x] Drop streak SRM/6 and replace it with slightly inferior IS weaponry
[] Use Inner Sphere ferro-fibrous armor instead, only have to drop one ton
[] Write-in
"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins
Leraje

Post by Leraje »

TotallyNotEvil wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 1:41 pm The ammo-based weapons that aren't Clan-only, such as UAC-20 and LB-5X, have compatible munitions with IS equivalents.

Also, lol at 3 fucking tons of AMS ammo. What the hell are they expecting to fight, a company of Longbows?

That ERPPC x3, GR and ERML x4 refit is like a better Hellstar, which is absolutely disgusting already. Well done =P

Leraje, you are pretty good with this mechanics thing, no comment on jumping Timby refits? The one thing I figured is that I could fit 2x LRM10 instead of a single 20er, as to keep to the original's aesthetic of twin launchers, twin double-laser arms.
I'll tinker with Timby ideas once I get back from work. Note - missile racks will have to be IS - ammo incompatibility also applies to them. :(
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Leraje wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 12:26 pm
El Guapo wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 11:40 am

[] Leave as is

Something based of Dire Wolf - A would fit your bill:
3x LPL in right arm
Gauss rifle and 3x Ammo in the left arm

Other than that it has 2x SSRM6 (2t ammo) in LT and AMS (3T ammo) in RT. Skipping those will free 11.5T for other goodies to be installed.
LPLs weight as much as ErPPCs, so with some tweaking and subject to pars availability can create something like this:
Heat profile is 70/50 with lasers and 48/50 without.
Yeah, my dude has PPC specialization, so I'm thinking about alternate designs that have at least one PPC (though of course, the base Dire Wolf loadout ain't bad either). Something like the above could be pretty great, although it'd kinda suck to lose that right arm (and losing left arm armor and getting that gauss rifle hit wouldn't be a ton of fun either).
Black Lives Matter.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

What we need are shields. Then you could hold it out and just move it to shoot. Of course, that would only help with one of the arms. Or maybe just have a slot in it for firing through. :D

Black Lives Matter

TotallyNotEvil

Post by TotallyNotEvil »

Leraje wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 1:54 pm
TotallyNotEvil wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 1:41 pm The ammo-based weapons that aren't Clan-only, such as UAC-20 and LB-5X, have compatible munitions with IS equivalents.

Leraje, you are pretty good with this mechanics thing, no comment on jumping Timby refits? The one thing I figured is that I could fit 2x LRM10 instead of a single 20er, as to keep to the original's aesthetic of twin launchers, twin double-laser arms.
I'll tinker with Timby ideas once I get back from work. Note - missile racks will have to be IS - ammo incompatibility also applies to them. :(
Nope, re-read the update carefully: "To our great surprise, the clan ammo-based weapons *are* compatible with Inner Sphere weaponry. For the most part. Stuff like the class 20 ultra autocannon, nobody makes the ammo for, is still going to be tough, but the standard LB-10X, UAC/5 and LRMs work just fine. This makes retaining the ammo-based clan mechs a lot more viable in some cases. "

Also, I found out 2x LRM10 ends up worse than a single 20er, bummer.
Leraje

Post by Leraje »

TotallyNotEvil wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 6:22 pm Nope, re-read the update carefully: "To our great surprise, the clan ammo-based weapons *are* compatible with Inner Sphere weaponry. For the most part. Stuff like the class 20 ultra autocannon, nobody makes the ammo for, is still going to be tough, but the standard LB-10X, UAC/5 and LRMs work just fine. This makes retaining the ammo-based clan mechs a lot more viable in some cases. "

Also, I found out 2x LRM10 ends up worse than a single 20er, bummer.
Hmm... guess I'll have to check my MechHQ settings for this...

In any case, here's a jumping Timby for you, maintaining the original esthetics. Not the most impresive build, but Timby is really tonnage hungry, so 5 JJS limit the options.
13T IS FF gives it maximum armour.

El Guapo wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 6:08 pm Yeah, my dude has PPC specialization, so I'm thinking about alternate designs that have at least one PPC (though of course, the base Dire Wolf loadout ain't bad either). Something like the above could be pretty great, although it'd kinda suck to lose that right arm (and losing left arm armor and getting that gauss rifle hit wouldn't be a ton of fun either).
It's always possible to move the weapons around, something like ErPPC + 2x ErML per arm, GR and remaining ErPPC in the torsos. It's just arm weapon mounts give a to-hit bonus.