Victoria 3

Post by Holman »

It's coming!
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
jztemple2

Re: Victoria 3

Post by jztemple2 »

I guess they finally had to give in to demand :wink:
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I've gotten three emails from them about this today. I've yet to see gameplay.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

I don't know exactly what it is but I never managed to build up any enthusiasm for Vicky 2 so I doubt I'll ever buy 3. I'm not sure if it is a subject matter issue or simply that I've burnt out on Paradox games.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

I've never been particularly into Vicky 2 either, but I will say Vicky 2 was really the last of the old style Paradox games, and since then they've really turned a corner in terms of improving their games and making them fun. Vicky 3 is also being developed by Martin Anward who was the lead dev in the early days of Stellaris, so I have high hopes they'll put together a fun experience.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Sepiche wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 10:09 am I've never been particularly into Vicky 2 either, but I will say Vicky 2 was really the last of the old style Paradox games, and since then they've really turned a corner in terms of improving their games and making them fun. Vicky 3 is also being developed by Martin Anward who was the lead dev in the early days of Stellaris, so I have high hopes they'll put together a fun experience.
"Fun" was always my issue with Paradox games. If they managed this I am interested. I do kind of want to get CK3 but I still harbor much animosity about previous versions with problems never addressed.
Black Lives Matter
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

I loved EU 2 and 3 and CK 1 and 2. I've bounced off of EU4 and CK3. Stellaris was so-so. Whatever change you guys see between pre- and post Vicky 2 seems not to have worked for me!

Mainly I think it is simply changes in my life. The games might be objectively better but I don't have the time or inclination to really dive into that type of game now.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I have a lot of their games but I think the only one I find "fun" is HOI2.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Jeff V wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 8:33 pm
Sepiche wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 10:09 am I've never been particularly into Vicky 2 either, but I will say Vicky 2 was really the last of the old style Paradox games, and since then they've really turned a corner in terms of improving their games and making them fun. Vicky 3 is also being developed by Martin Anward who was the lead dev in the early days of Stellaris, so I have high hopes they'll put together a fun experience.
"Fun" was always my issue with Paradox games. If they managed this I am interested. I do kind of want to get CK3 but I still harbor much animosity about previous versions with problems never addressed.
For whatever reason, I find CK3 the most "fun" of the CK line. It abstracts and simplifies some things from CK2, which is a welcome change. It also seems to have a more streamlined UI for the main actions. It doesn't have the depth of CK2, but CK2 got so unwieldy when they started adding in cults and all that witch/satanism stuff. I miss the Merchant Republics, but they were also a bit overzealous.

I very much love Stellaris and find it to be one of the most accessible of the Paradox games. That said, I with it had HoI4's "front" warfare managing system. It gets cumbersome managing a multi-front war with all the little fleets.
Lagom Lite

Post by Lagom Lite »

I never got around to actually playing Victoria 2 (watched some let's plays but never took the plunge) but I'll definitely get Victoria 3. Paradox had very low commercial ambitions on their early games. Compared to Firaxis titles they were overly serious and rarely much "fun", but that changed around Crusader Kings 2 and Stellaris which had a completely different tone and ambition. Stellaris is actually "fun" both in a story and gameplay sense, more of a 4X title than a Grand Strategy simulation. Crusader Kings also is strong on story and RPG elements such as relationships and personalitites, which is engaging and keeps you coming back. I haven't gotten around to CK3 yet, mostly because I'm still having fun in CK2 and I find that with Paradox it's usually not worth buying on Day 1 - waiting a couple expansions and patches is often a good idea.

Anyway, my hope is that they keep the core of Vicky 2 (the economy, the politics, the complexity-depth) but work out elements of gameplay that is engaging and less focused on simulation. Such as historical events, conferences and whatnot, playing a huge part in changing things around. And less focused on warfare, which they've already said as much.
But you've seen who's in heaven
Is there anyone in hell?

"Lagom you are a smooth tongued devil, and an opportunistic monster" - OOWW Game Club
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Very interesting and well thought out dev diary today, Dev Diary #15 - Slavery
It’s Thursday again, which means it’s time for another Victoria 3 development diary. Today’s subject of slavery is a rather heavy one, being both one of the most significant political issues of the Victorian era as well a story of untold suffering on a human level. For this reason, before I start getting into the mechanics of slavery I want to briefly explain our philosophy behind its representation in Victoria 3.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Paradox is gearing up for release on 25 October 2022.

They are currently streaming some gameplay on their Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/paradoxinteractive
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

PCGamesN has a Victoria 3 preview with impressions
Thinking back on the time I spent forming my Victoria 3 impressions with a preview build of Paradox’s forthcoming grand strategy game about the 19th century, there are some definite highlights: enacting some early voting rights legislation in Sweden, reforming the Brazilian tax code, and abolishing slavery in the United States without triggering a bloody civil war. You set out in Victoria 3 with grand ambitions, but what I found was that in the moment-to-moment play, what I spent most of my time doing was building things.

There’s always something that needs building. I want trains to reach my iron-rich provinces, I need more universities to produce more qualified applicants for technical jobs, more ports to handle my trading routes that bring in materials I can’t produce and ship out the goods I’m selling abroad to make up for my constantly ballooning construction budget. I need more logging camps, more barracks, more tool shops, more farms.

Victoria 3 is not simply a building game, however. As game director Martin Anward explains to me, it’s a game about agency. No matter which nation you choose to lead in Victoria 3, it’s going to be full of different kinds of people, each with their own goals, abilities, and checks on your own exercise of supreme power. As circumstances in your country change, these groups will by turns find common cause with one another or find themselves at cross purposes. Figuring out how much power you have, and how much you’ll need to cooperate with those groups, is at the heart of Victoria 3.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

A new developer diary and this one is pretty good: Dev Diary #57 - The Journey So Far
Hello all! Now that we know the Victoria 3 release date and have seen a bit of actual, live gameplay, I thought it would be a good idea to recap what the game is and tell you a bit about how we got here. Today I'm going to focus less on abstract principles and pillars and more on concrete game mechanics, the play experience and the process by which we arrived at the current version of the game.
Enlarge Image

Enlarge Image
Hrdina

Post by Hrdina »

Neat, thanks for posting that.

Paradox games are a mixed bag for me. I generally really like them, but that does not always translate into a lot of time playing them. for various reasons.

I've spent a lot of time with Stellaris, CK2, and the original EU. I really like CK3, but other things grabbing my attention, as well as life in general, have conspired to limit my CK3 experience to just a couple of games.

I've never played a Victoria game, although I remember having a lot of fun with Imperialism II (20+ years ago) which looks like Baby's First Victoria to me.
Conform or be cast out!
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Hrdina wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 2:38 pm Neat, thanks for posting that.

Paradox games are a mixed bag for me. I generally really like them, but that does not always translate into a lot of time playing them. for various reasons.

I've spent a lot of time with Stellaris, CK2, and the original EU. I really like CK3, but other things grabbing my attention, as well as life in general, have conspired to limit my CK3 experience to just a couple of games.

I've never played a Victoria game, although I remember having a lot of fun with Imperialism II (20+ years ago) which looks like Baby's First Victoria to me.
I think that Victoria 3 may be too deep and complex for older taste, but I'll be willing to give it a try. I am concerned that it will be too abstract to enjoy.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

I preordered it immediately and looking forward to it immensely. I see a lot of good stuff being brought over from Crusader Kings III, which I felt hit the proper balance of complexity, challenge, and ability to do stuff. Paradox seems to be headed in the right direction, IMHO, although I know a lot of people disagree.

V1 and V2 were some of my favorites. V2 was a bit of a buggy mess, so if they can focus on fundamentals with V3, I think that will be great.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

jztemple2 wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 2:45 pm
Hrdina wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 2:38 pm Neat, thanks for posting that.

I think that Victoria 3 may be too deep and complex for older taste, but I'll be willing to give it a try. I am concerned that it will be too abstract to enjoy.
At Paradox pricing, I'll look for some Let's Plays. It may scratch my itch for a great colonial turned into industrialization game society building game. Seeing some people play and discover the game before I drop $50, knowing full well large amounts of paid for content is to come not too much later.

Still, I'm interested enough to look for Let's Plays...
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

LordMortis wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 10:13 am At Paradox pricing, I'll look for some Let's Plays. It may scratch my itch for a great colonial turned into industrialization game society building game. Seeing some people play and discover the game before I drop $50, knowing full well large amounts of paid for content is to come not too much later.

Still, I'm interested enough to look for Let's Plays...
FYI, Greenmangaming (my go to web-store) has this pre-order for $40. Or You can pay $65 and get the deluxe version that comes with the first expansion and flavor DLCs.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

That's a good call if I were going to buy anyway but I'm wait and see.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

A new developer's diary, Dev Diary #59 - AI
Hello and welcome to the 59th Victoria 3 development diary! With the release of the game just a little more than a month away (which honestly feels surreal), one of the last remaining things for us to do alongside bug fixing is to put the final polishing touches on the AI for release. As such, this feels like a good time to talk about the AI of Victoria 3 - how it’s designed, how it operates, and what tools modders have available to tweak it. However, I won’t really be talking about which exact amount of difficulty the AI provides or which level skill it plays at. Firstly, because perception of AI performance is highly subjective and what is a ‘good AI’ means something different to just about every player, and second because there’s still a few issues to be ironed out before release, one example being AI-controlled countries too frequently experiencing revolutions (something that should hopefully be greatly improved now, but which has yet to be verified by QA).

So then, how does the AI in Victoria 3 work? Well, just as in our other Grand Strategy Games, the AI plays the same game you do. It uses all the same features, faces all the same restrictions, and does not receive the advantage of any ‘cheats’ (with some exceptions if you use certain Game Rules, but more on that later in this dev diary). In addition to this, there are four design principles that guides how the AI should act in Victoria 3...
It's a very long article, but very informative on what the AI will and won't do.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Interesting read.

I will likely start the game off playing either Prussia with an eye to unify Germany or one of the Italian provinces (either Tuscany or the Kingdom of Two Sicilies) with the goal to form a unified Italy. These were some of the most fun goals from the earlier games and you can ease yourself into the colonial game that way (as opposed to England, which starts the game unbelievably complex). The US is also fun, but you have to be ready for a lot of unrest, a very early war with Mexico, and an unavoidable Civil War.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

baelthazar wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 11:13 pm
the Kingdom of Two Sicilies) with the goal to form a unified Italy.
You should know that this name is a lie.
Black Lives Matter.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

El Guapo wrote:
Trivia about me - the focus of my PhD studies was on the reigns of Charles I, Charles II, Robert the Wise, and Joanna of Naples. They were all salty about losing actual Sicily.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

baelthazar wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 6:51 pm
El Guapo wrote:
Trivia about me - the focus of my PhD studies was on the reigns of Charles I, Charles II, Robert the Wise, and Joanna of Naples. They were all salty about losing actual Sicily.
Oh nice. So you are already familiar with the dirty lie that is the Kingdom of the Two Sicilies.
Black Lives Matter.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Another video. I'm wondering if this game is going to be just a bit too complicated for my brain :roll:

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

You and me both, brother.
Covfefe!
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I've watched part of this Let's Play video... there's a lot to wrap your mind around :shock:

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I watched that Let's Play video and read several reviews and I'm pretty convinced I'm going to be giving this a pass, at least till some major updates with bug fixes and feature additions.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

jztemple2 wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 6:21 pm I watched that Let's Play video and read several reviews and I'm pretty convinced I'm going to be giving this a pass, at least till some major updates with bug fixes and feature additions.
What bugs?
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

LordMortis wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 8:08 pm
jztemple2 wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 6:21 pm I watched that Let's Play video and read several reviews and I'm pretty convinced I'm going to be giving this a pass, at least till some major updates with bug fixes and feature additions.
What bugs?
One of the reviews cited lock-ups and crashes. While not necessarily widespread, it would be an indication of some issues that need to be addressed in an early patch and I'm just not that excited about the game that I can't wait for some updates.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Shouldn't have but I bought a discounted release. After the 8 tooltip tutorial I'm going to have to wait for a good player tutorial. That or maybe I just need to let the game play itself and watch it to try and learn what what's up.

Edit: I suppose I could watch a whole movie as a tutorial