The Finding Obscure Things thread!

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Blackhawk

Re: I need obscure things.

Post by Blackhawk »

That's not an awful idea. I'll see what I can find tomorrow, although I'll be a little pressed for time. I mainly just want it to hold it upright and not let it tip over, not look too awful on the shelf, and allow me to move it from room to room fairly easily (It's an infrared lamp to use my VR headset in the dark.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

$3.99 for 4 at (ugh) Hobby Lobby. Some cheap gel stain, a little satin varnish, and a screw later...

Enlarge Image

Nothing a woodworker would admit to, but it keeps it upright and stops it from sliding without it looking completely awful on the shelf.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

These brackets. What are they, and where in a hardware store (I assume) would I look for them? And are they available in longer versions, maybe 6"-8"? There are three of them in the images, bolted together.

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Not sure about all the holes, but it looks to me like you want some angle iron, though I understand it's also just called angle steel. That's kinda odd considering you can also get them in aluminum.

I've only ever seen it used as part of garage door installations, though it seems like it should be useful for any number of things. I'm not exactly sure where they'd be in a hardware store but they're standard bits.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Looks like a kind of corner brace. Though I don't see any with that many holes.

I see 8 and 10 inch ones like this. I can't tell without any reference, but it looks like maybe that is the entire length. So each side would be 4-5 inches.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Hmm, when I search for 'angle iron' I get something entirely different. It does look a lot like the corner braces, but all the corner braces I'm seeing are tiny in comparison. I'd estimate that these are 2"- 3" wide, and the corner braces I'm seeing are about a half and inch wide - the largest I'm seeing are about an inch.

Unfortunately the original post I found these pictures in didn't have a name for them either, and didn't include links.

It's a joystick mount, by the way. The two slide over the desk and the stick mounts to the platform.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Okay. That makes sense. I've got some headphone holders that are similar.

But why couldn't you just use 2 sets of narrower ones and space them out? Wouldn't that end up being more stable?

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

TheMix wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:09 pm Okay. That makes sense. I've got some headphone holders that are similar.

But why couldn't you just use 2 sets of narrower ones and space them out? Wouldn't that end up being more stable?
I have no idea. I'm not engineeringly inclined, and am generally leery of deviating from proven examples.

Here, by the way:
Spoiler:
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

I would tend to call those corner brackets or just brackets but I've found such things really hard to search for in the past because the holes are generally spaced for specific applications. It doesn't help you very much but I would normally buy a piece of angle aluminum of the right size which would probably involve buying a longer piece and cutting it. Then drill holes where needed.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Blackhawk wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 7:03 pm These brackets. What are they, and where in a hardware store (I assume) would I look for them? And are they available in longer versions, maybe 6"-8"?
Here's a 4-pack of 8-inch equivalents on Amazon, along with an 8-pack of 4¾ x 2⅜ brackets from the same manufacturer:

Enlarge Image

Enlarge Image
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Sometimes it's a complicated solution looking for simple problem.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Ooh, nice. Thanks! My desk has an inch-wide rounded 'lip', so desk clamps rarely work on it. I need the extra depth to get around that.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Doesn't Lowes and Home Depot sell stuff like that?
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 10:09 pm Doesn't Lowes and Home Depot sell stuff like that?

Maybe, but if you don't know what it's for or what it's called, it can take an hour or more of walking the aisles to find it. And I haven't had good luck with asking staff. They generally don't know where anything outside of their department is.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ya true about asking for a part you dont know the name of. My local Home Depot though are great at finding things. They all carry some phone app that show what where is and the price and such. Can tell me down to the aisle and which side and how far down. But I guess Id still need to know what it is.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I gather that you guys don't have a friendly neighborhood hardware store. The guys at True Value can instantly ID damned near any random gewgaw and tell me if they have one, or where to get it if not.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

We don't have a friendly neighborhood anything anymore. We have lots of unfriendly neighborhood empty storefronts, though.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Hey, here's another on!

I drive around with books a lot. Is there a thing out there that makes it easy to carry larger paperbacks (magazine sized, heavier card cover type books) without them getting rubbed or the corners dinged? Thin card folios might work, but envelopes probably wouldn't. What I'm really visualizing is some sort of heavier card or plastic cover that you can set it in for carrying. I know they make such things for storage, but they're not easy to get the books in and out of.

I have quite a few books like that, everything from painting guides to rulebooks to comic TPBs, and I'm always worried about damaging them in my bags.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

This is what you need:

Plastic Portfolio Briefcase with Handles

Enlarge Image
https://www.staples.com/JAM-Paper-Brief ... XxEALw_wcB
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

That's the right idea, but I need something that will fit into my messenger bag rather than an extra item to carry.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Rough Enough Expanding File Document Folder Bag Accordian File Organizer Accordion Filing Folders Case Portable Portfolio for School Office Travel in Black Cordura
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I have read the code. I will be on a flight to Moscow within the week. Have the handler waiting for me at the airport.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Blackhawk wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 2:05 pm That's the right idea, but I need something that will fit into my messenger bag rather than an extra item to carry.
Document bag. They come in numerous sizes and levels of protection.

Not a recommendation, but just a random search result:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08K34LMXP

On the cheaper end, BCW makes magazine protectors similar to comic book sleeves.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Blackhawk

Re: The Finding Obscure Things thread!

Post by Blackhawk »

I have vinyl (probably) shelf liners, similar to the 'rubber cloth' non-slip material, but smooth on to. We use them on the floor around the pigeons' cages when they are out (as they usually perch on the edges of the cage.) In other words, poop catchers.

The problem is that the pigeons like to fly across the roomfrom perch to perch, and they like fly down to the floor, wander around, and then fly back up. Pigeons aren't tiny, and all of that flapping creates a significant breeze. As a result, the mats end up blown around, piled up, and otherwise where they're not beneath where the pigeon butts are 95% of the time.

I was thinking about using some sort of adhesive weight that I could put along a couple of the edges of each one. It would have to be thin, and usable in strips (placed in the same direction so that the mats can be rolled up for storage. And it would need to be safe.

The closest that I have been able to find are tire weight that are about a quarter ounce each - way too light.

Does anyone know of a good, affordable product like this?
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Brass (or steel or acrylic depending on weight requirements) half rods, cut to whatever length you need. You'd have to find your own adhesive but it wouldn't take more than some basic glue or 3M tape.

MYT
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

i found a LaserDisc copy of Robot Carnival at Half-Price Books a couple months ago for $30. this is something i have been looking for decades, so i felt ok to splurge on this.

(also got this sealed LD version of The Road Warrior for $15. passed on the original LD release of Star Wars for $10 since the sleeve was kinda in bad shape.)
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 12:30 pm Brass (or steel or acrylic depending on weight requirements) half rods, cut to whatever length you need. You'd have to find your own adhesive but it wouldn't take more than some basic glue or 3M tape.
That's a good idea. It would just need to be enough to keep a sheet of vinyl from being moved by flapping wings, so it wouldn't need to weigh a ton. Thinking about where to get (let alone cut) metal or acrylic rod, and about the expense made me realize that there is a simpler option along the same line: hardwood dowels. Maybe wrap the ends of the mats around them, a little like a scroll.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Blackhawk wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 12:08 pm Does anyone know of a good, affordable product like this?
Good old-fashioned Velcro (tm)? Double-sided poster-mounting squares?

If you use the brass rod idea, you can make them self-mount if you just open 4 tiny slits enough to poke the rod through and have it stay in place, and "seal" the opening with tape so the poop doesn't get through the small opening.

Or just put two rods at each end, use rubber bands to tie them togethe at both ends, and the tension will keep the sheet in place.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Have you tried blue tac?
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Blackhawk wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 12:08 pm I have vinyl (probably) shelf liners, similar to the 'rubber cloth' non-slip material, but smooth on to. We use them on the floor around the pigeons' cages when they are out (as they usually perch on the edges of the cage.) In other words, poop catchers.

The problem is that the pigeons like to fly across the roomfrom perch to perch, and they like fly down to the floor, wander around, and then fly back up. Pigeons aren't tiny, and all of that flapping creates a significant breeze. As a result, the mats end up blown around, piled up, and otherwise where they're not beneath where the pigeon butts are 95% of the time.

I was thinking about using some sort of adhesive weight that I could put along a couple of the edges of each one. It would have to be thin, and usable in strips (placed in the same direction so that the mats can be rolled up for storage. And it would need to be safe.

The closest that I have been able to find are tire weight that are about a quarter ounce each - way too light.

Seems like a few folded-over loops of duct tape ought to do the trick, e.g. something like this:

Enlarge Image
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Re: velcro - it wouldn't stick reliably to my carpet. I checked.

Re: adhesives (mounting squares, poster tack, tape rolls, etc) - I'd rather not use something I'm going to have to completely replace every couple of days, and removable adhesives don't last long when used on cloth or carpets. Not only would it make setting up and breaking down take three times as long, it would create an ongoing expense (we only leave shelf liners on the floor while the birds are out.) And poster tack would get into the carpet.

FWIW, this is the liner we use. It washes clean, it's durable, it's safe, and that particular color does a great job of camouflaging the bird poop.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

How about bandanas with washers safety-pinned to the four corners. You could store them and also wash them.

Or more permanently, sew weights into the corners.

Perhaps too porous.
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

The shelf liner is probably strong enough to have washers safety pinned, sewn, or in a pinch taped into the corners.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Carpet tape or fishing weights
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Or tablecloth weights, which would have clips on them to attach.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

As far as things needing obscure solutions, this one's a picnic.

Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

Blackhawk wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 12:08 pm I have vinyl (probably) shelf liners, similar to the 'rubber cloth' non-slip material, but smooth on to. We use them on the floor around the pigeons' cages when they are out (as they usually perch on the edges of the cage.) In other words, poop catchers.

Flat magnetic metal bars , like steel, on top of the vinyl. Strong tiny magnets, neodyn or whatever, on the underside of the vinyl to hold the metal in place.
Probably best off getting the metal bars at a local store but the magnets are easy to get some amazon. I have ordered them for crafting before.

Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Ok, another of those odd questions. I need some reusable half-gallon glass jugs with lids that seal. I've been looking online, and they're about $10 each. Does anyone know of anything in the stores that is cheaper than that that comes in half gallon jugs? Or of a cheap source just for the jugs themselves?
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Does it have to be exactly half gallon and does it need a screw lid?

If not, we use something like this for pasta, flour, etc.

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/choice ... 00076.html

MYT
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 1:58 pm Does it have to be exactly half gallon and does it need a screw lid?

If not, we use something like this for pasta, flour, etc.

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/choice ... 00076.html
Either a half-gallon or able to be marked at a half gallon. The lid needs to seal, and it needs to be pourable without spilling.

We have a couple of different waters for the pigeons (it's a general digestive health thing for them.) Two days a week they get water with a little apple cider vinegar mixed in, and two days a week they get water with a probiotic mixed in. They're small, and we only have the two, so they don't go through a lot. We've been using empty gallon milk jugs, but I'd prefer to make it in half batches so that there's less chance of it getting weak or going bad, and we'd prefer to have containers that can be properly cleaned between batches for the same reason, thus glass. I was looking at something like these, but was trying to avoid the cost: