The Finding Obscure Things thread!

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Blackhawk

The Finding Obscure Things thread!

Post by Blackhawk »

I often need obscure things. It's a curse that comes with being an eccentric recluse for a living. Often I have to spend hours on end wandering through different types of stores trying to figure out what the obscure thing I need is. Real-life examples:

I am considering building some scale model vehicles and modifying them to a Mad Max style, just for fun. I've been thinking about what to use for steel grates. Yesterday I was wandering around in a hobby store and came across plastic mesh that's used for embroidery that's perfect.

I am trying to find a way to mount some lights behind me. My initial plan was some sort of telescoping rod I could mount on the sides of the shelf over my head and use clamp lights on it. But I have no idea where to find an appropriate telescoping rod (I think I'm going to use a removable PVC deal with flanges attached to the shelf instead anyway.)

Those two are solved. See what I'm talking about, though? I know other people sometimes have the same problem when working on projects: You have a need, a need for a four-inch wooden disk half an inch thick. A need for a stainless steel ring to fit over your wrist. A need for a glass dome like a bell jar, but between 1" and 1/2" across. These things all exist, but finding them is troublesome as they are all things created for completely different activities than what is intended. Some are use for farming ("You need a small steel mesh? That's hardware cloth! Look for it in a farm store!") Some are for other hobbies ("You need steel rings? Check in the hobby store with the leather and feathers - they're sold for people making dream catchers!") Some are car parts, or machine shop tools, or sold in restaurant supply stores, etc. You get the idea.

Anyway, there are a lot of smart people on OO with a range of interests and backgrounds. I thought I'd make a thread for trying to find obscure things. Feel free to jump in with your own needs.
Last edited by Blackhawk on Fri May 06, 2022 11:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Archinerd

Re: I need obscure things.

Post by Archinerd »

I know what you mean.

I think it's easier to find the obscure thing first, then figure out what it's for.
The down side is, I have a lot of crap in my basement that might be good for something.
Last edited by Archinerd on Thu May 27, 2021 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

So, what I'm looking for right now: some sort of wraparound weights that could be attached to small tripod legs for stability. I'm reminded of fly tying when I was a young teenager. You'd buy thin strips of lead that you'd wrap around the shank of a fishing hook to add weight prior to tying a fly that you wanted to make sure sank. Obviously I'm not looking for huge strips of lead, but I am looking for some sort of comparable weight. Any ideas?
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Wheel weights.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Wrist or ankle weights that masochists use.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I feel like this is a post apoc thread and people are collecting stuff that may somehow be useful someday in some way somewhere.
Last edited by Daehawk on Thu May 27, 2021 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Archinerd wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 2:20 pm The down side is, I have a lot of crap in my basement that might be good for something.
This is why I struggle with tossing random bits and things get out of control.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I can have something 20 years and never use it. But if I toss it Ill damned well need it tomorrow. Never fails.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Daehawk wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 2:36 pm I feel like this is a post apoc thread and people are collecting stuff that may somehow be useful someday in some way somewhere.
I knew someone who's father collected scrap wood with that intention. AFAIK, he died with a garage full of garbage wood.
Black Lives Matter
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Blackhawk wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 2:20 pm So, what I'm looking for right now: some sort of wraparound weights that could be attached to small tripod legs for stability. I'm reminded of fly tying when I was a young teenager. You'd buy thin strips of lead that you'd wrap around the shank of a fishing hook to add weight prior to tying a fly that you wanted to make sure sank. Obviously I'm not looking for huge strips of lead, but I am looking for some sort of comparable weight. Any ideas?
They actually make these. Look for "slotted weights."
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

I mentored / coaches a high school robotics and engineering team with practically no budget for 15 years. I know exactly what this thread is talking about!

Sew sleeves and fill them with sand (or small metal shot). Basically bean bags but with denser filling.
Brian

Post by Brian »

My storage unit is loaded with stuff from my inventory that might turn out later to be an important quest item.

Don't ask me when or why I might need ten SCSI cables but dammit, if I ever do, I have them.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Can you say scavenger hunt? I knew you could.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Brian wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 10:08 pm Don't ask me when or why I might need ten SCSI cables but dammit, if I ever do, I have them.
Don't worry. I have a few extras if those aren't enough.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

dbt1949 wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 11:30 pm Can you say scavenger hunt? I knew you could.
My life has been a scavenger hunt. I love a good scavenger hunt!

But if I have a small project, I want to finish that small project, and doing so involves waiting a week and then spending four hours stomping around stores, sometimes I'd rather just ask, "What solves this problem?" and get that specific thing. (And micromark is now in my bookmarks list, thanks.)

Also:
Madmarcus wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 7:31 pm Sew sleeves and fill them with sand (or small metal shot). Basically bean bags but with denser filling.
That's perfect. Why didn't I think of miniature sandbags? I'd likely go the sand route (because free), but some sort of shot would be tempting. I'd use lead shot, but I'd want to seal it in plastic first, which might make it too stiff.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I bounced back and forth between the 'home improvement' thread and the 'obscure things' thread. It ended up here. This relates to my newly updated work area (image in spoiler tags:)
Spoiler:
I have a cheap clamp lamp, this sort of thing, containing an 5000k LED bulb. The entire thing probably weighs less than a pound. I want to mount it so that when I'm sitting at the desk, it is above and behind my right shoulder, a foot or two back from me and a foot or two to my right, near the ceiling. I'm thinking I could mount some sort of an arm to the front of the shelf going straight out that I could clamp it to, or I could mount it right above the door.

The problem is that I don't want a huge hunk of wood (or whatever) hanging there 24/7 getting in the way and being an eyesore. Ideally I'd like something I could reach up and unscrew/unhook and set down when I'm not using it, then stick it back up when I do. Leaving a bracket/whatever that it mounts to in place isn't a big deal.

I can imagine great ways of doing it, but I don't have a machine shop, nor do I have the fabrication skills to make those things. What I have are a hammer, a drill, and a bunch of screws and nails. And I can't dump piles of money into the project, so a fancy solution isn't an option.

I figure there are a couple of broad options: I can make something (the 'home improvement' option) or I can find something that already exists for a similar purpose ('obscure things.')

Does anybody have any suggestions?
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Blackhawk wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 5:05 pm I bounced back and forth between the 'home improvement' thread and the 'obscure things' thread. It ended up here. This relates to my newly updated work area (image in spoiler tags:)
Spoiler:
I have a cheap clamp lamp, this sort of thing, containing an 5000k LED bulb. The entire thing probably weighs less than a pound. I want to mount it so that when I'm sitting at the desk, it is above and behind my right shoulder, a foot or two back from me and a foot or two to my right, near the ceiling. I'm thinking I could mount some sort of an arm to the front of the shelf going straight out that I could clamp it to, or I could mount it right above the door.

The problem is that I don't want a huge hunk of wood (or whatever) hanging there 24/7 getting in the way and being an eyesore. Ideally I'd like something I could reach up and unscrew/unhook and set down when I'm not using it, then stick it back up when I do. Leaving a bracket/whatever that it mounts to in place isn't a big deal.

I can imagine great ways of doing it, but I don't have a machine shop, nor do I have the fabrication skills to make those things. What I have are a hammer, a drill, and a bunch of screws and nails. And I can't dump piles of money into the project, so a fancy solution isn't an option.

I figure there are a couple of broad options: I can make something (the 'home improvement' option) or I can find something that already exists for a similar purpose ('obscure things.')

Something like this?

That could at least swing back against the wall when not in use. Or perhaps modify a TV mount? You get the benefits of extending and retracting, and the mount block on the end could be modified for a number of purposes.

Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

I can envision something for it that clamps to the bookshelf but I don't think I can describe it in a way that works. I'll try to draw it out and post a picture. The tough part might be getting power to it without an ugly cord hanging down. Also, while I know that style of clamp light I don't remember whether the reflector can turn? If the place that it clamps onto needs to be able to turn it is a little bit more of a pain. Still not too bad since the light is light.
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1PX_0zu ... sp=sharing

Very ugly sketch. The center piece of the three section stack and the final spacer in the two piece arm both need to be the same thickness as the shelf. The other pieces of wood could be thinner. Old meter sticks would be cute in a way. Use bolts with wing nuts. Loosen to swing the arm away from the shelf. Tighten to lock it into place. The lamp is light so it shouldn't be a problem but the hanging cord might pull on things. Using zip ties to the arm might help.

You could do the same thing with a two piece portion going to a one piece portion but that makes rotation at the end harder to achieve. Since width isn't that hard to get you could go larger than 1/4" bolts and gain a little bit of stiffness. More stiffening bits is easy.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Thanks for the tips! I will take a closer look at them and figure out if I have what is necessary to build them (one thing that really holds me back is the lack of a saw and a lack of places to store unused wood - so I pretty much have to buy per-project.)

The clamp lamp has a sort of poor-man's ball joint, so it has a fair amount of rotation. It's also easy enough to only plug it in/string it when it is in use. So as long as it is out of the way, it doesn't have to be pretty while in use.
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

If the lamp has a ball joint then things get much simpler. Do the same over and under bracket onto the shelf but you might be able to get away with one long arm on it with the lamp clamped onto the end instead of making the elbow that I sketched out. If the lamp is light enough you could stick with the simple one piece of shelf thickness and ignore my fancier three part bit. It will be a little more likely to sag or flex but probably not badly and it makes it a lot easier to do without a saw.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

With the aluminum reflector/shade and an LED bulb, the lamp weighs almost nothing.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Blackhawk wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 9:25 am With the aluminum reflector/shade and an LED bulb, the lamp weighs almost nothing.
Including the cord, the entire lamp weighs 11 ounces. So, yeah. Not much weight. Of course, if I ever decided to screw in one of those ten-inch photography CFLs, that would change.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Blackhawk wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 5:05 pm I bounced back and forth between the 'home improvement' thread and the 'obscure things' thread. It ended up here. This relates to my newly updated work area (image in spoiler tags:)
Spoiler:

Seems like a flexible gooseneck-type lamp with a suitable clip or clamp might do the trick, e.g. something like this, or perhaps this, which has a C-clamp mount. Or failing that, something more along the lines of a traditional architect lamp that has a rotating swing arm and adjustable angles along with a suitable clamp (so something more like this).
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Blackhawk wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 5:05 pm I have a cheap clamp lamp, this sort of thing, containing an 5000k LED bulb. The entire thing probably weighs less than a pound. I want to mount it so that when I'm sitting at the desk, it is above and behind my right shoulder, a foot or two back from me and a foot or two to my right, near the ceiling. I'm thinking I could mount some sort of an arm to the front of the shelf going straight out that I could clamp it to, or I could mount it right above the door.

Alrighty, it took a while, and I looked at a lot of options, but in the end the obscure thing I needed was... an accordion lamp arm. It extends far enough, is strong enough, I can mount the lamp on the top or bottom to change the height, and it retracts almost all the way to the wall. And if I need to, I can just lift it off of the mounting screws to remove it entirely.
Spoiler:

Also, those who were following the original project will note that I replaced the shelving on the left with a computer monitor and keyboard tray. When I can get a decent wireless keyboard, I'll be removing the tray (it is kind of in the way.)
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Little late to the thread, but for the small weights, I'd just use a small bag of rice (or lentils, or whatever). If you want, put it inside one of those freezer bags for extra spill protection.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

For that I eventually found some sort of sandbag made for yoga. I filled it with cheap aquarium gravel.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I have one of those lamps too. It's serving as second lamp in my room, as I can't remotely turn-on my primary room lights (which is on a wall switch)

Had to replace my other lamp which started flaking out. I had it on a Wifi smart switch and it won't turn on any more, had to jiggle the bulb so it's not the switch.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I need a wooden base, a few inches square and at least a couple thick to mount a small lamp to. Like a trophy base or a 3 inch section of a 4x4. It doesn't have to be decorative, but shouldn't be ugly.

What is this, and where can I pick it up in town tomorrow?
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Blackhawk wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 9:52 am I need a wooden base, a few inches square and at least a couple thick to mount a small lamp to. Like a trophy base or a 3 inch section of a 4x4. It doesn't have to be decorative, but shouldn't be ugly.

A local arts & crafts supply store ought to be able to help you out, e.g. here's a Hobby Lobby listing for four 4" square wood plaques for $2.99.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Anonymous Bosch wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 10:33 am
Blackhawk wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 9:52 am I need a wooden base, a few inches square and at least a couple thick to mount a small lamp to. Like a trophy base or a 3 inch section of a 4x4. It doesn't have to be decorative, but shouldn't be ugly.

A local arts & crafts supply store ought to be able to help you out, e.g. here's a Hobby Lobby listing for four 4" square wood plaques for $2.99.
[R&P]
Hobby Lobby are fascist pigs.
[/R&P]
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

They might have a mis-cut / scrap bin at a big-box hardware store where stuff is heavily discounted or free. If you have a hand saw you can probably pick up a 6" or 4" end of a 2x4 that way, and assuming you can cut it that might work. I don't know that I'd go out of my way to visit, but if there's one where ever you might be...

Incidentally, I have a pile of these. I keep them around, because I randomly need them.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Smoove_B wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 12:17 pm They might have a mis-cut / scrap bin at a big-box hardware store where stuff is heavily discounted or free. If you have a hand saw you can probably pick up a 6" or 4" end of a 2x4 that way, and assuming you can cut it that might work. I don't know that I'd go out of my way to visit, but if there's one where ever you might be...

Incidentally, I have a pile of these. I keep them around, because I randomly need them.
I don't know why and perhaps I've watched too many murder shows but I totally sounded this out in my head in a very foreboding and ominous tone. I'm sure you're a very nice guy in person...
:P
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Smoove_B wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 12:17 pm They might have a mis-cut / scrap bin at a big-box hardware store where stuff is heavily discounted or free. If you have a hand saw you can probably pick up a 6" or 4" end of a 2x4 that way, and assuming you can cut it that might work. I don't know that I'd go out of my way to visit, but if there's one where ever you might be...

That's not a terrible idea. Although I'd likely need to purty it somewhat (it'll be sitting on a shelf in plain view.)
Jaymann wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 12:08 pm
Anonymous Bosch wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 10:33 am

[R&P]
Hobby Lobby are fascist pigs.
[/R&P]
And my skin crawls whenever I visit, but they're also the only hobby/craft store within 60 miles of me.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Had to be wood? I was thinking you can go into the dollar store and repurpose some of their stuff. Like turn a square ash tray upside down and spray paint it or something. Or turn a plant holder upside down may work too, depending on how big it is.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Blackhawk wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 2:59 pm That's not a terrible idea. Although I'd likely need to purty it somewhat (it'll be sitting on a shelf in plain view.)
Dark brown sharpie? Dark brown craft paint?
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Yeah, it has to be wood (or something suitable for screwing the light to and heavy enough to keep it from tipping.)

I can do better than a sharpie/craft paint, but there is the issue of sanding and smoothing first, and I'm lazy enough not to want to put that kind of effort into a light stand. With a finished piece I can just stain it (a 60-second job) and be done.

Lamp, about 2" across:

Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Could you glue it, or perhaps even screw it, to like a 3 inch cast iron drain cover?
Last edited by Unagi on Mon Jul 05, 2021 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »