Hurricane Season (and other significant weather events) 2021

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Tomorrow starts the official 2021 Hurricane Season, although as Daehawk noted, we've already had our first named storm. So what's new this year? Greek letters are out, instead if we go through the first set of names...
Enlarge Image

...we start into a second set of names:
Enlarge Image

It is expected to be a busier season than average:
Enlarge Image

As they say almost every year, NOAA says that they expect to do a better job this year predicting storm paths than last year, but that still means they are just taking more educated guesses. Time to get prepared!
Last edited by jztemple2 on Fri Jun 25, 2021 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Jaymann

Re: Hurricane Season 2021

Post by Jaymann »

I don't want that many storms, but would love to see a Hurricane Ronin.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Jaymann wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 3:53 pm I don't want that many storms, but would love to see a Hurricane Ronin.
Robert DeNiro approves this statement.
Black Lives Matter
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Jeff V wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 9:51 pm
Jaymann wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 3:53 pm I don't want that many storms, but would love to see a Hurricane Ronin.
I'm not sure Hurricane Mindy contains the right amount of gravitas.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

gbasden wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 4:08 pm
Jeff V wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 9:51 pm
I'm not sure Hurricane Mindy contains the right amount of gravitas.
I really am waiting for Hurricane Bambi to devastate some major city and listen to the news reports :doh:
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

deleted as out of date information.
Last edited by jztemple2 on Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:46 pm, edited 5 times in total.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Interesting info: 5 things to know about Tropical Storm Claudette
Tropical Storm Claudette's journey from the Gulf of Mexico to the Carolinas was an unusual one, to say the least. In the wake of Claudette's dissipation over the Atlantic Ocean on Monday evening, here are five unusual things about the storm.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

My cousin passed away in Alabama trying to rescue someone. So sad.
Black Lives Matter
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Lorini wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:32 am My cousin passed away in Alabama trying to rescue someone. So sad.
Sad to hear about it. Even these "minor" storms can be devastating to many folks.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Lorini wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:32 am My cousin passed away in Alabama trying to rescue someone. So sad.
:cry: I'm sorry to hear that. Last name Bragg? I was just reading about him this morning.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

My condolences, Lorini. That's a gut punch.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

His mom is pretty devastated, he was 31 years old and wanted to help folks. But it's dangerous entering waters like that without tremendous swimming skill. Think about that if you're ever faced with this situation.
Last edited by Lorini on Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Black Lives Matter
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Lassr wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:00 am
:cry: I'm sorry to hear that. Last name Bragg? I was just reading about him this morning.
Yes! That's him. Very sad day for all of our family.
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Lorini wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:40 am
Lassr wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:00 am
Yes! That's him. Very sad day for all of our family.
Sorry to hear that. The guy died a hero.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

deleted as out of date; latest chart is further down the thread.
Last edited by jztemple2 on Sat Jun 26, 2021 5:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Lorini, that's horrific. Thank you for sharing with us.

I've been watching the hurricane situation, as we're headed to the Caribbean for MHS's milestone birthday. Glad things seem to be calming for the near term — hope it stays that way through Independence Day!
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

While the Atlantic stays fairly quiet, with two areas of interest that have only small chances of developing, things are getting "hotter" on the west coast :shock:

Enlarge Image
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

jztemple2 wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:33 pm While the Atlantic stays fairly quiet, with two areas of interest that have only small chances of developing, things are getting "hotter" on the west coast :shock:

Enlarge Image
mentioned elsewhere it is estimated it'll hit 105 in Seattle on Sunday, which would be an all-time high record (or at least from when the records started being kept)
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

hitbyambulance wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:02 am
jztemple2 wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:33 pm While the Atlantic stays fairly quiet, with two areas of interest that have only small chances of developing, things are getting "hotter" on the west coast :shock:

Enlarge Image
mentioned elsewhere it is estimated it'll hit 105 in Seattle on Sunday, which would be an all-time high record (or at least from when the records started being kept)
good god

feels like it'll never rain here again
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

You don't want those temps with humidity.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
jztemple2

Re: Hurricane Season (and other significant weather events) 2021

Post by jztemple2 »

I am reminded of sometime earlier this year when we were talking in a restaurant with some folks from up North who were saying that while it was nice visiting Florida in the winter, it was way too hot to be here in the summer :D. Mind you, on the odd day we do get into the mid-90s in the summer, but 107 degF? Holy smokes.

By the way, I have updated the title of this thread to reflect that folks can also post other significant weather events here. So we have something to talk about between hurricanes :ninja:
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Our temperatures have been swinging between near-record lows and highs, without pausing for long in the pleasant middle. Memorial Day weekend was so cold I had to turn on the heat. The following week we got a five-day heat wave. After one normal week we had another "cold snap," and now we're on the verge of another heat wave set to begin on Sunday.

Historically, Boston has averaged four 90+ degree days per year. This year we expect eight in June alone.

Hasn't broken 100 yet this year, though.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

AC in homes only relatively recently became a thing here. i lucked into my current apartment with a hotel-style wall unit permanently installed in the bedroom.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

hitbyambulance wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 2:55 pm AC in homes only relatively recently became a thing here. i lucked into my current apartment with a hotel-style wall unit permanently installed in the bedroom.
I wonder how many homes in Seattle and Portland have A/C?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

That’s because Seattle is the least air-conditioned metro area in the nation — at least out of the 41 metros included in the U.S. Census Bureau’s American Housing Survey. As of 2015, only one of every three housing units in the Seattle area was cooled by central air or a room unit. That’s nowhere near the national average of 89 percent.
Even in Portland, which ranks third-lowest among the metros, 70 percent of homes were cooled — that’s more than double Seattle’s percentage.

That does make sense, though, because despite the geographic proximity between Seattle and Portland, we don’t have the same weather. The Rose City can easily be 10 degrees hotter in the summer.
The Seattle Times put a call out to readers, asking what they do to keep cool in their non-air-conditioned homes. We got close to 100 responses.

One reader wets her clothes, freezes them, and then puts them back on. Another goes for a swim, and then leaves the damp swimsuit on until bedtime. One woman lies on the hardwood floor with a wet towel over her stomach.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Another goes for a swim, and then leaves the damp swimsuit on until bedtime.
I suspect they may not understand how humidity works.

One woman lies on the hardwood floor with a wet towel over her stomach.
All day?!

Is it possible the people of Seattle do not know air conditioners exist?

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

From Yale Climate Connections, Northwest U.S., British Columbia brace for historic, record-melting heat
A shockingly intense heat wave for the location, and for so early in the year, will produce some of the highest readings ever observed across much of the Northwest U.S. and adjacent southwest Canada. Temperatures will soar to dangerous levels – well above 100 degrees Fahrenheit in many places – from Friday, June 25, into the following week, in a region where hundreds of thousands of residents lack central air conditioning or any AC at all.

For several days, multiple computer forecast models have been spitting out astonishing numbers for Portland, Oregon; Seattle and Spokane, Washington; Vancouver, British Columbia; and other towns and cities. Even with some potential model overestimation, confidence is growing that a truly historic heat wave is on tap.

One sign of this is official forecasts from the National Weather Service: They’ve grown bolder through the week as model agreement has solidified and the event has drawn closer. As of midday Thursday, June 24, the National Weather Service forecast was calling for Spokane to hit 110°F on both Monday and Tuesday, June 28 and 29. These would break the city’s all-time high of 108°F from July 26, 1928, and August 4, 1961.

In Portland, Sunday is predicted by the National Weather Service to be the hottest day in city history. The forecast high of 109°F would topple the all-time record of 107°F set on July 30, 1965, as well as August 8 and 10, 1981. (See more on local records below.)

It’s extremely unusual for the National Weather Service to predict three or four days in advance that all-time records could be not only approached but exceeded. Such is the projected intensity of this heat wave and the resounding agreement among the world’s top forecast models.

In some cases, the highest single-day low temperatures ever recorded may be challenged as well. Warm nights only add to the danger of multi-day heat waves.
Temperatures will be 20 to 28 degrees Celsius (36 to 50 degrees Fahrenheit) above average at 5 p.m. PDT Sunday, June 28, 2021, over much of the Pacific Northwest coastal region, according to the 12Z Thursday, June 24, run of the GFS model. (Image credit: tropicaltidbits.com)
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Deleted as being out of date
Last edited by jztemple2 on Mon Jun 28, 2021 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 2:19 pm You don't want those temps with humidity.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

hitbyambulance wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 2:55 pm AC in homes only relatively recently became a thing here. i lucked into my current apartment with a hotel-style wall unit permanently installed in the bedroom.
Least air-conditioned metro area- 2021

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-ne ... sed-to-be/
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

my skylights do not have blinds or shades. this is misery in this apartment.

really hoping for a thunderstorm (a rare occurrence out here) Tuesday night
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

I think we are going to peak at 94F today. The house will continue to warm up for several more hours.
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

102 right now - they're predicting 115 tomorrow.

It's not supposed to be this hot here! :|

EDIT - woke at 5 AM and it's still 79 degrees outside. We hit ~108 yesterday. So thankful I got the old AC unit fixed a few years back - so many homes in this area don't have it. We've been half-heartedly house hunting and it's one of our "must haves" in any new place.
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Highest I saw yesterday at my place was 107 - the Apple weather app claimed 111. Our AC struggled to keep up but kept the house at 80:

I woke up right as the sun was coming up so this is probably the low for the day:

They're predicting 115 or so for today before it drops all the way to 97 on Tuesday. :cry:
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

On the other side of things, we had huge storms roll through the Chicago area on Saturday, spawning a few tornadoes. It was coming down pretty hard when I noticed a seam in our roof leaking. Wife and I set up buckets, pots, and towels to cover things when our phones alerted to a tornado warning and told us to take shelter. We took the kids down to the basement, set up a few blankets, and I watched weather updates on my phone. Sound from the drain, and sure enough the drain started backing up and flooding the basement. Took everyone back to the main floor and stayed in the middle away from windows until the tornado warning ended. Eventually the water went down in the basement. It was high enough that it got into the water heater and killed the pilot light, which means no hot water until we can get someone to come out (someone is supposed to come today). Wife and I cleaned some and were going to do more after we got the kids in bed when the power went out for over an hour. At that point the standing water was gone so we just decided to do the real cleanup on Sunday. Finished last night, and we're hoping the additional storms forecast for this week will be much weaker.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Deleted as being out of date
Last edited by jztemple2 on Mon Jun 28, 2021 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

I've spent thousands of dollars and had multiple companies out here trying to fix things. If only it were as simple as a YouTube video.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

If only. Obviously you need Canadian expertise.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

We had to install two water control systems in our old house — a backwater valve as well as a drain tile system.

My new place has two systems too. And it’s time to reinspect the pipe for roots intrusion.

The downside of living in a swamp turned city.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon