Hurricane Season (and other significant weather events) 2021

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

malchior

Re: Hurricane Season (and other significant weather events) 2021

Post by malchior »

My foundation just sprang a leak where the sewer pipe comes into the house. We also are 95% sure we lost my wife's car. I agree with Kraken. This summer has just been a constant nightmare of wind, rain, and now flood damage.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

malchior wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:02 pm My foundation just sprang a leak where the sewer pipe comes into the house. We also are 95% sure we lost my wife's car. I agree with Kraken. This summer has just been a constant nightmare of wind, rain, and now flood damage.
We had our hottest June in history and the second-wettest July. August didn't set any records but continued the pattern of either being unbearably hot or raining (and sometimes both). We recorded four heat waves (one per year is normal). I guess I shouldn't complain about mere unpleasantness, given the severe weather that's afflicting much of the world. But I'm not feeling very optimistic about September, either.

I thought my lawn at least would like all the rain, but big patches of grass yielded to moss and fungi.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I have on the Weather Channel and they are saying that sixteen million in New Jersey are under a flash flood emergency. And NYC is currently receiving rain at a rate of 3-5 inches an hour. And now they are saying "191 miles of flash flood emergencies". Edison NJ has received ten inches of rain in three hours :shock:
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
malchior

Post by malchior »

jztemple2 wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:24 pm I have on the Weather Channel and they are saying that sixteen million in New Jersey are under a flash flood emergency. And NYC is currently receiving rain at a rate of 3-5 inches an hour. And now they are saying "191 miles of flash flood emergencies". Edison NJ has received ten inches of rain in three hours :shock:
I'm in that vicinity (within a few miles). I think 10 inches sounds right. It was insanely heavy for hours. Also, keep in mind we got about that much rain a week and a half ago, and we had several light rain days in between so everything is just saturated to capacity.

In other news, my police department just had to evacuate. We just got the call from our office of emergency management. I'm getting ready because I just heard the purge siren go off. Time to 'release the beast'!
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

"purge siren"?
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
malchior

Post by malchior »

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

malchior wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 11:13 pm
Yeah, I googled and found that. But what is it? Is it a real thing? Or some cultural reference?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Purge
The Purge is an American anthology media franchise centered on a series of dystopian action horror films distributed by Universal Pictures and produced by Blumhouse Productions and Platinum Dunes, which are written and in some cases also directed by James DeMonaco, who was inspired by a Star Trek: The Original Series episode, "The Return of the Archons". The films present a seemingly normal, crime-free America in the near-future. But the truth is that the country is a dystopia which celebrates an annual national holiday known as the Purge, a day in which all crime, including murder, becomes legal for a 12-hour period.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Also known as everyday in Chicago.

Edit: Also FWIW the first couple of Purge movies are 'fun' summer thrill fests with some surprisingly sharp social satire moments mixed in. Worth a watch if the subject matter isn't off-hand objectionable.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Thanks for the info.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

The flooding I'm seeing in NJ and NYC right now looks like it's out of a movie.

Maybe next year, maybe no go
malchior

Post by malchior »

Yup. It's a giant climate change real-time experiment. What happens when you take one of the most overdeveloped areas of the world and dump billions of gallons of water on it in a couple of hours? Let's find out!

Edit: FWIW while it is a bit much I greatly appreciate the emergency alerting via cell phone. We got early warning about the rough t-storm cell that spun out a tornado and other threats. It was very helpful and greatly increased situational awareness.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

What happened to the car? I'm impervious to flooding at my house. We flood you are all dead anyway. I cancelled all my morning meetings as my power was out and my office will be flooded for sure. power came back. Fingers crossed it stays on.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

A bit away from the current deluge in the northeast, but now we have Larry to keep an eye on. What is of interest is that within the past couple of days it has strengthen from a disturbance to a 70mph tropical storm. In the next two days it is expected to reach major hurricane strength. By the end of next week it could be approaching... someone.

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

My brother's house in Pelham, NY got flooded yesterday. Fortunately, it was mostly confined to the basement where they don't keep anything too important. But he said they had about three feet of water in one area and he and the family spent much of last night bucketing it all out. The basement has a pump, but I don't think it could keep up.
Black Lives Matter
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Power went out for about 2 hours. The power company was super quick to come in and fix it. Which is a first... I thought for sure I wouldn't have power for at least the night. I was so sure they wouldn't fix it that I had already cancelled my calls for the early morning. :lol:

I drove into work and it was perfectly fine on my route. From the videos I was seeing I was expecting to see a lot more flooding. The river next to my work is supposed to crest to major flood levels by tomorrow so that should close a few roads. Otherwise it wasn't that bad for me.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I take that back. The entire town and the surrounding towns just went out lol.

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Holman

Post by Holman »

Serious flooding in Philadelphia last night.

My house is fine because we live on top of a ridge, but here's a scene just down the hill from us:

Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Be careful buying any used cars in the near future. :shock:

Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:33 am Hard Rain
Wow, that is a Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon power-movie
Holman

Post by Holman »

Octavious wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:48 am Be careful buying any used cars in the near future. :shock:
Are you kidding? The wipers are still working on that bad boy. It can handle anything!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Unagi wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:49 am
Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:33 am Hard Rain
Wow, that is a Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon power-movie
You ain't just whistling Dixie.

malchior

Post by malchior »

Finally got a sec to sit down. This entire morning has been responding. Evaluated my house and it is mostly ok. Despite all my trimming/maintenance efforts I partially lost another tree. Maybe I should just clear cut the whole yard. :o

I also got most of the water dried up in the basement and have drawn up a rough plan for a new drainage plan because...this just isn't going to go away. It'll probably just get worse.

I also got to The Home Depot, bought a shop vac, went to my MIL's, vacuumed out 2 inches of water in her basement, evaluated my wife's car (I think it'll make it but some water did make it into the cabin. We're airing it out.

I think from a flooding standpoint this was worse than Floyd, Irene, or Sandy. Which is saying a lot.
Last edited by malchior on Thu Sep 02, 2021 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

The shack next door to me is for sale. Doesn't flood. Spacious 300-400? Square feet! :lol:

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

We got a cold call from a realtor last night, she had a buyer who was willing to pay a substantial amount of money, cash, for our house. We don't have our house listed nor have ever even talked to a realtor. Lots of folks apparently tired of living in drought, fire zones, etc and want to move to Florida. I guess the realtors will also be hearing from folks from the northeast who are tired of being hit with more hurricane related weather than Florida gets :wink:
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Smoove_B wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 11:30 pm
I live in this neighborhood! It's called Park Slope because it slopes steadily downward (from a park). This video is from the lower edge of the slope. Thankfully, we live on the higher side.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

AWS260 wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 1:07 pm I live in this neighborhood! It's called Park Slope because it slopes steadily downward (from a park). This video is from the lower edge of the slope. Thankfully, we live on the higher side.
Wow. It really looked like a movie set. I suspect there are people all over the Tri-State area leaning the clever names for locations in their neighborhoods actually mean something.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

From Yale Climate Connections:
The unmissable fingerprints of climate change

The phrase “climate crisis” feels ominously apt when staring at an event like Wednesday’s titanic flood. For more than 20 years, a steadily growing body of research has found that the most intense U.S. downpours are getting more intense, particularly in the Northeast, as a result of human-produced greenhouse gases. This trend is only projected to get even worse.

Air “holds” about 4% more moisture for every 1 degree Fahrenheit (0.55 Celsius) increase in temperature. Air above the oceans has about 10% more moisture compared to 1970 because of the increase in global temperatures. This extra moisture leads to about a 10% increase in heavy rain as storms gather the excess moisture.

Ten percent may not sound like much, but when that extra moisture condenses inside the storms, it releases additional heat energy known as latent heat, which is the energy that was required to change the phase of water from liquid to gas during the evaporation process. That extra heat energy enlivens the updrafts and makes the storms more intense, allowing them to gather in moisture from a wider area and last longer. This phenomenon can lead to a 30% increase in rainfall, as has been documented in several cases of major flooding (e.g., this case in Colorado in 2013).
Holman

Post by Holman »

jztemple2 wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 6:21 pm
Yup. And the Schuylkill didn't even crest until five hours after that post.

Weather in Philly today has been sunny and pleasant, but water flow means I still might not be able to drive to work tomorrow.
Holman

Post by Holman »

I'm in Philly. I just called my Mom (who lives on Mobile Bay, Alabama) to remark on how we just enjoyed the same hurricane.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Power company sent a text that they anticipate my street having power on September 8. Great.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

McNutt wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 8:08 pm Power company sent a text that they anticipate my street having power on September 8. Great.
Where are you?
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Baton Rouge
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

:( I was in the same boat when Sandy came through. I believe it was 3 weeks before they restored my power. I was flat broke at the time so hotels weren't an option. I ended up in my MILs for weeks. I have zero idea what I would have done if I had no family.

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

The current situation. Larry looks to continue to be a fish storm, but that disturbance in the Gulf might bear watching.

Current Five Day Outlook Image is updated by NHC every few hours.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Dukes of Hazzard car "General Lee" destroyed by Ida.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/the-d ... ar-AAO5O1f

It fits somehow...
Daehawk wrote:Thats Drazzil's chair damnit.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Drazzil wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 3:17 am Dukes of Hazzard car "General Lee" destroyed by Ida.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/the-d ... ar-AAO5O1f

It fits somehow...
Doesn't look too bad. It'll buff out :D
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

This is kind of an interesting bit of data, showing the number of thunderstorm hours in an area in August.