Hurricane Season (and other significant weather events) 2021

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Alefroth

Re: Hurricane Season (and other significant weather events) 2021

Post by Alefroth »

Meanwhile, western WA had the wettest November ever recorded.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

On the news this morning, they said the NWS predicts a 90% chance our weather will be above average the rest of the year, meaning another brown Xmas. I'm okay with that, arthritis in my elbows and shoulders is making shoveling increasingly challenging, especially when I have to toss slushy stuff atop a 10' pile.
Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

We got our first barely noticeable dusting of snow tonight. It's looking good for another mild winter this year.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

One tornado travels through 4 states tonight: Arkansas, Missouri, Tennessee & now Kentucky. The first quad-state tornado in US history. Debris from buildings got thrown up into the air 30,000ft according to radar signatures. This is insane
Hope you and yours are all safe, OOers.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Smoove_B wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 11:22 am
One tornado travels through 4 states tonight: Arkansas, Missouri, Tennessee & now Kentucky. The first quad-state tornado in US history. Debris from buildings got thrown up into the air 30,000ft according to radar signatures. This is insane
Hope you and yours are all safe, OOers.
If it ends up being one tornado it will most likely beat the record of the 1925 tri-state tornado that was 219 miles on the ground. From everything I watched last night it seemed obvious it was one tornado, impressive in a bad way.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

I'm in East Tennessee and they've been warning of severe weather most of the week.

This morning at 8am it was looking very bad and ominous. I was born and lived a good bit of my life in Florida and have been through some hurricanes. This weather looked as bad of weather that I can ever remember. The radar showed a line of red completely through the entire east part of Tennessee. I was very worried.

Thus far we've had significant rain and at times heavy wind gusts. But all in all, things are fine. But I can tell you that early this morning I was very worried.
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Drone footage of the aftermath of last nights tornado in KY. Horrific…it wiped this town completely off the map.

When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

The line looked angry as it got here but as it came through it was just a bit of wind and rain. Nothing abnormal thank God.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

Daehawk wrote:The line looked angry as it got here but as it came through it was just a bit of wind and rain. Nothing abnormal thank God.
Yeah, the radar looked really bad for East Tennessee
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
Holman

Post by Holman »

I saw an analysis of the tornado path and damage profile that suggested it (over the full course of its devastation) basically lifted the mass of a small town to the height of a cross-country airliner.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Best video I've seen of the actual tornado. Way scarier than Godzilla.

Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Our local 24 news station ran this article earlier today: How to help in the aftermath of Kentucky's deadly tornadoes
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

CNBC
The Occupational Safety and Health Administration is investigating a deadly collapse at an Amazon warehouse in Edwardsville, Illinois, an agency spokesperson said Monday. The collapse was caused by a tornado Friday that devastated the area.

Six workers were killed, one was injured and 45 people were rescued safely, Gov. J.B. Pritzker said in a press conference Saturday.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

A confirmed tornado was reported over Plainview, in SE Minnesota, just after 8pm local time tonight. This is the first tornado ever reported in the state of Minnesota during the month of December, according to NOAA data.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Smoove_B wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 11:35 pm
A confirmed tornado was reported over Plainview, in SE Minnesota, just after 8pm local time tonight. This is the first tornado ever reported in the state of Minnesota during the month of December, according to NOAA data.
Global warming plays a part in this I'm sure.

One of our universities did a study a few years ago, looking at historic records, and established that for every date in the year, there has been a tornado recorded somewhere in Florida. A good reminder to residents that there is no such thing as a non-tornado season.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I've been terrified of tornadoes since I was a toddler in Michigan, where they repurposed WW2 air raid sirens into tornado sirens. That distant wailing was the scariest sound in my world. There was the time my parents were racing home and we saw a funnel that took the roof off a church. I was maybe 3-4 years old and hiding in the fetal position in the little foot space behind the front seats and the rear seats.

Fuck tornadoes. I'm glad I live where they don't come.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Kraken wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 2:25 am I've been terrified of tornadoes since I was a toddler in Michigan, where they repurposed WW2 air raid sirens into tornado sirens. That distant wailing was the scariest sound in my world. There was the time my parents were racing home and we saw a funnel that took the roof off a church. I was maybe 3-4 years old and hiding in the fetal position in the little foot space behind the front seats and the rear seats.

I was traumatized as a kid when we were all huddling in the hallways of our school with our heads between our knees, sirens wailing, and tornadoes in the area. We didn't get hit, but it affected me.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

ImLawBoy wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 10:40 am
Kraken wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 2:25 am I've been terrified of tornadoes since I was a toddler in Michigan, where they repurposed WW2 air raid sirens into tornado sirens. That distant wailing was the scariest sound in my world. There was the time my parents were racing home and we saw a funnel that took the roof off a church. I was maybe 3-4 years old and hiding in the fetal position in the little foot space behind the front seats and the rear seats.

I was traumatized as a kid when we were all huddling in the hallways of our school with our heads between our knees, sirens wailing, and tornadoes in the area. We didn't get hit, but it affected me.
We had one "touch down" not a mile from our house growing up. It was pretty surreal but fortunately the damage was mild. Still uprooting trees and seeing the skies turn green and black and swirly before being called in for "not a tornado drill" is something that has stayed with me. I was thinking about it last night after seeing aftermath throughout Kentucky and seeing 100 MPH storms moving east over the plains states... In your direction... I hardly slept last night with comparatively "mild" winds we had.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 1:38 pm Image
Nice graphic! Thanks for posting it.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Who even knew that FL has torandoes?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Nice year end wrap up article: These were five of the biggest weather stories of 2021
2021 certainly brought more than its fair share of extreme weather. We've narrowed down the many big weather events down to five where you, our Spectrum viewers, live and work. Trying to rank these weather stories is challenging–should we use cost? Population affected? The number of deaths? The reality is that, for people hit by a disaster, that one is what ranks as their No. 1. So, our list essentially goes from the beginning of the year to the end.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

There are also other notable non-events too. Chicago has broken the old record latest measurable snowfall by 7 days so far (streak might end tomorrow). The previous latest measurable snowfall was Dec 20, 2012...the year my wife came here. She complained about the cold but no snow, which at that time she had never seen before. I had to drive her to Milwaukee which had about 6" on the ground. That winter, we did not get significant ground cover until mid-January.

I believe Denver also had a similar record this year.
Black Lives Matter
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

jztemple2 wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 7:34 pm Nice year end wrap up article: These were five of the biggest weather stories of 2021
2021 certainly brought more than its fair share of extreme weather. We've narrowed down the many big weather events down to five where you, our Spectrum viewers, live and work. Trying to rank these weather stories is challenging–should we use cost? Population affected? The number of deaths? The reality is that, for people hit by a disaster, that one is what ranks as their No. 1. So, our list essentially goes from the beginning of the year to the end.
There's only one big weather story from the past year around here:

Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Jeff V wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 8:22 pm There are also other notable non-events too. Chicago has broken the old record latest measurable snowfall by 7 days so far (streak might end tomorrow). The previous latest measurable snowfall was Dec 20, 2012...the year my wife came here. She complained about the cold but no snow, which at that time she had never seen before. I had to drive her to Milwaukee which had about 6" on the ground. That winter, we did not get significant ground cover until mid-January.

I believe Denver also had a similar record this year.
We've had less than 0.5" of snow in December, and that came in unnoticeable traces. Normal December is 9". The whole year was whacked, with half the summer lost to record heat and rainfall. Even though it was another year of global weirding, we escaped any headline-grabbing drama.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Our usual first measurable snowfall is Nov 15. A measurable snowfall is defined as 0.10". And we've not had that yet. And I didn't even buy myself a snowblower yet as I threatened to do a few months ago! For sure that would have guaranteed a snow-free winter.
Black Lives Matter