Fundraising complete, next renewal is August 2022. Paypal Donation Links US dollars CDN Dollars

Computing Chair Upgrade...

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: EvilHomer3k, Bakhtosh

Blackhawk

Re: Computing Chair Upgrade...

Post by Blackhawk »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:42 am My turn! My son and I shared a desk until recently. We just replaced our shared desk with two smaller, single-person desks. He's been stuck with a 'task chair' (a $30 seat-and-a-back chair), as there was no room for a second full-sized chair with arms. Now there is room, and I want to get him a new chair for Christmas. I'm thinking of getting him something halfway decent, and it would be most of his Christmas haul.

I'm torn. Gaming chairs are popular, but they're not always top quality, and you end up paying more for the popularity. At the same time, this is for a teenager, and the fact that it is a popular style becomes much more relevant. In other words, he'd likely be happier with a gaudy chair that is three star quality than a plain chair for the same price that is four star quality. So, I have to decide between the better option and the more popular option, all while keeping with my non-boutique budget.
I'm really, really hoping to pull off a Secret Labs chair. It seems to be the sweet spot between gaming chair aesthetics and 'good chair' quality. I'd love to be able to give him a chair that will last him for years rather than a piece of junk that will need replaced by next year. They are a lot of money, though, and would involve a lot of creative budgeting. It would also represent the entirety of his Christmas, and possibly his graduation present as well.

Black Lives Matter
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Blackhawk wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 1:53 pm I'm really, really hoping to pull off a Secret Labs chair. It seems to be the sweet spot between gaming chair aesthetics and 'good chair' quality. I'd love to be able to give him a chair that will last him for years rather than a piece of junk that will need replaced by next year. They are a lot of money, though, and would involve a lot of creative budgeting. It would also represent the entirety of his Christmas, and possibly his graduation present as well.
If you want a Secret Lab chair that lasts, steer clear of polyurethane leather if you possibly can. Secret Lab's Softweave fabric chairs are a wee bit more expensive, but are at least more durable than PU Leather.

But having said that, even their Softweave fabric chairs come with PU Leather armrests prone to splitting and cracking. Unfortunately, that means you almost have to also invest in some suitable chair armrest covers if you'd prefer not to be stuck replacing poorly-designed PU armrests every six months or so.
"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters." -- Daniel Webster
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Anonymous Bosch wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 2:41 pm If you want a Secret Lab chair that lasts, steer clear of polyurethane leather if you possibly can. Secret Lab's Softweave fabric chairs are a wee bit more expensive, but are at least more durable than PU Leather.

But having said that, even their Softweave fabric chairs come with PU Leather armrests prone to splitting and cracking. Unfortunately, that means you almost have to also invest in some suitable chair armrest covers if you'd prefer not to be stuck replacing poorly-designed PU armrests every six months or so.
:grund:

Isn't there anything reliable anymore? Normal people can't pay $1000+ for a chair, and it seems like everything short of that is doomed to fail within two years.

Black Lives Matter
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Ars Technica just reviewed Secret Labs Omega and Anda Seat Fnatic Edition. They find the Anda seat more comfortable. They said the Omega seat is a bit too firm.

The Fnatic edition currently is $249 for Pre-black-friday, but it's also sold out. They have other color/editions/sizes that may still be available.

I am a little tempted with their $349 T-Pro II which is in fabric, not "leather", but is XL sized like the Fnatic. They also have the $219 L sized "Dark Demon" series available with leather.

No word from Madison seating from the order I placed back in July? August? Should I even bother chasing it down?

My local CL has an Aeron Size C for $450+delivery fee. But I seriously didn't feel like taking the chance on one.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Kasey Chang wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 5:12 am
No word from Madison seating from the order I placed back in July? August? Should I even bother chasing it down?
absolutely, unquestionably, yes you should.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Blackhawk wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 3:08 pm Isn't there anything reliable anymore? Normal people can't pay $1000+ for a chair, and it seems like everything short of that is doomed to fail within two years.
My previous Aeron lasted 18 years. My wife's lasted 16. The amortization is solid for a chair that can be had for $400-$500.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Madison's Emma replied that it may ship at the beginning of December.

I ordered at the end of JULY. :)
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

it took them four months to send to me, from the beginning of the year. i have no idea what their hold up was. luckily, the secondhand Aeron i ordered is great - no complaints there. (it came in a HUGE box, since only the back was not attached)
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

My Aeron just arrived today. I haven't put it together yet though.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Kasey Chang wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 3:55 am My Aeron just arrived today. I haven't put it together yet though.
there's not much to put together - it's just four bolts to attach the back, right?
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Enlarge Image
Black Lives Matter

10% real fruit juice, motherfuckers!!
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

I finally broke down and ordered this today:
Secretlab TITAN Evo 2022 Series - Regular - Secretlab SoftWeave™ Plus Fabric (Cookies & Cream)

https://secretlab.co/products/titan-evo ... =R22SW-CnC
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

You're a braver man than I with that light color.
Black Lives Matter

10% real fruit juice, motherfuckers!!
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Isgrimnur wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 3:12 pm You're a braver man than I with that light color.
Hopefully the speckled look hides the stains...
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Lassr wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 3:10 pm I finally broke down and ordered this today:
Secretlab TITAN Evo 2022 Series - Regular - Secretlab SoftWeave™ Plus Fabric (Cookies & Cream)

Good grief, it's out for delivery today. That was super fast shipping for $9.

Black Lives Matter
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Lassr wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 11:38 am
Lassr wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 3:10 pm I finally broke down and ordered this today:

Good grief, it's out for delivery today. That was super fast shipping for $9.
FWIW, I think the Secretlab SoftWeave chairs are one of the few worthwhile gaming chairs available. But I do want to reiterate the advice I offered Blackhawk upthread:
Anonymous Bosch wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 2:41 pm But having said that, even their Softweave fabric chairs come with PU Leather armrests prone to splitting and cracking. Unfortunately, that means you almost have to also invest in some suitable chair armrest covers if you'd prefer not to be stuck replacing poorly-designed PU armrests every six months or so.
From the looks of it, the Secretlab TITAN Evo 2022 still relies upon the very same poorly-designed polyurethane armrests that are prone to splitting and cracking. So, I'd definitely recommend also grabbing yourself a set of those memory foam office chair armrest pads to preserve your sanity.
"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters." -- Daniel Webster
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Anonymous Bosch wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 2:14 pm
From the looks of it, the Secretlab TITAN Evo 2022 still relies upon the very same poorly-designed polyurethane armrests that are prone to splitting and cracking. So, I'd definitely recommend also grabbing yourself a set of those memory foam office chair armrest pads to preserve your sanity.
Thanks, I do have a set of arm covers from a chair I had a few years back that I can use.

Black Lives Matter
naednek

Post by naednek »

I bought this chair last year after giving up on spending $400 @ secretlab. I'm so glad I did. It was on sale for $99 and it's very comfortable and durable. I don't have to worry about the arm rests wearing out, or the fabric getting ruined.

https://www.staples.com/staples-dexley- ... t_24398921
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"