Too early to think about 2022?

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

El Guapo

Re: Too early to think about 2022?

Post by El Guapo »

Unagi wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 1:31 pm ‘Hate in your heart’ isn’t enough like ‘Nazi’ you think ?
The point is that saying that everyone who supports DeSantis is a hateful bigot who he's not even going to try to win over is going too far. And also seems stupid politically.

Does make me wonder a bit if something is being misinterpreted or being taken out of context, though.
Black Lives Matter.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

He should have used the term "deplorables." :twisted:
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

El Guapo wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 2:42 pm
Unagi wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 1:31 pm ‘Hate in your heart’ isn’t enough like ‘Nazi’ you think ?
The point is that saying that everyone who supports DeSantis is a hateful bigot who he's not even going to try to win over is going too far. And also seems stupid politically.

Does make me wonder a bit if something is being misinterpreted or being taken out of context, though.
I don’t want to come across as not getting it. And I certainly cringed when I read it. I just wonder if it will mater (negatively) because I honestly think Florida’s DeSantis supporters are of two camps: die-hard or the ‘I cannot believe what I did with my Vote’ camps
malchior

Post by malchior »

Just curious but is everyone else getting BOMBARDED with political fundraising texts? I'm seeing 4-5 a day from various politicians. I'm just ignoring them but the intensity feels much different than past elections.
Brian

Post by Brian »

Oh yeah. Lots.

Most are generic, maybe a third are addressed to me directly.
A few more are addresses to my mother for some reason.
I also get a handful directed to Richard.

I block and delete all of them.
The ones addressed to Richard I respond with, "Are you calling me a Dick?" before I delete/block them.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

malchior wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 6:55 pm Just curious but is everyone else getting BOMBARDED with political fundraising texts? I'm seeing 4-5 a day from various politicians. I'm just ignoring them but the intensity feels much different than past elections.
Same as it ever was for me. But not texts. Mostly emails.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Holman

Post by Holman »

Campaigns need money. Blame our failed campaign-finance system.

Under current laws, what would happen if candidates never spammed for money?
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's biblical in origin, and it is the South.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

malchior wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 6:55 pm Just curious but is everyone else getting BOMBARDED with political fundraising texts? I'm seeing 4-5 a day from various politicians. I'm just ignoring them but the intensity feels much different than past elections.
No. But then, I live in Texas.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Yeah, 1-3 every day. Mostly from Mark Kelly (who I donated to in his last run) and Joe Biden.
Black Lives Matter.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Isgrimnur wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 9:00 pm
Is it like Jimmy Carter's lust in his heart?
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Jaymann wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 9:07 pm
Isgrimnur wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 9:00 pm
Is it like Jimmy Carter's lust in his heart?
That's Matthew. Hate in your heart is 1 John. Totally different disciple.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Glad it's not just me. My favorite is that the most texts are from Frank Pallone. And they often start, "Hi malchior, it's Frank Pallone your representative in congress..." and everytime I chuckle because...Frank Pallone is *not* my Congressperson. I got so gaslit by this that I doubled checked I wasn't re-districted into NJ-6! :)

Sometimes the texts references my wife's name which is weird but I'm guessing shitty databases. I do not get texts from my actual Congressperson even though I'm clearly registered in a district that is not Frank Pallone's. Shrug. They have no chance of losing so I wouldn't consider donating to them anyway. I get texts from GOP candidates aw well and sometimes they'll reference my father's name. Again shitty dbs. I also get a bunch of texts from California candidates - e.g. Adam Schiff for some reason.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Kurth wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 7:03 pm
Same as it ever was for me. But not texts. Mostly emails.
Nary a one here.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I get GOP texts *all the time* - not only from NJ, but Oklahoma, Georgia and I think Tennessee. I typically send them this picture:

Enlarge Image

And they get blocked. I have no idea why or how I'm getting them, but yeah, it's crazy.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Dramatist

Post by Dramatist »

I’ve never gotten political texts or emails.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Now Playing
Marvel Puzzle Quest
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Emails - although I used to get the texts too, but for some reason they dried up it seems
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I'm getting surprisingly few so far this time around. I used to get tons of them asking me to text STOP back. I never did, figuring it just puts me on more and more lists. I suspect the tick up will happen again in September. Since 2016, I had been getting the overwhelming every year spamming. Cross my fingers it doesn't happen this year.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Likewise, I never texted STOP back either, and I expect mine to ramp back up soon.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

No political texts, but CVS Pharmacy is relentless.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Yes they are. As is Henry Ford Optical. I debate asking CVS to stop, except I like the associated auto refill. I wish there was a way to say "Yes, do the refill, and even go ahead and send three stupid texts instead of one per refill if you have to, but stop sending me texts about Flu and Shingles and everything else under the sun."
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

welp, prepare yourself for voter fraud claims. It really is one of only two pages in the GOP playbook at this point.
He won. Period.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I still think they will lose the house and keep the senate, but the Republican's are doing their best to screw that all up so we'll see.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
malchior

Post by malchior »

A lot of this GOP might screw up the election narrative is horse race coverage. It's unclear how real it is. The generic ballot is interesting but it'll come down to individual races.
malchior

Post by malchior »

In some bad news, it looks like the race in PA is tightening. The election denying radical seditionist Mastriano is now only running 3-4 points behind Shapiro. On the Senate side Dr. 'Crudite' Oz is running a similar 3-4 points behind. Keeping a close eye on this but this situation is really ... concerning to say the least. If Mastriano wins, it may make a win by a Democratic President much more difficult and risk a constitutional crisis.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I'm still pretty confident they will both lose, but then again we have Trump so ya... Oz winning would such, but not be the end of the world. The other dude winning? We're so hosed.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Like everything else, it will come down to how many people vote - specifically if enough (D) are motivated to show up. It's beyond gross that Oz is going to get votes simply because he has a (R) next to his name, but that ship has long sailed. What I don't know is what it looks like for people that identify as "Independent" - how they're tracking in the polls with all this. I genuinely don't believe or trust people that publicly identify as Independents (I think they're closet Republicans) but I don't know how they factor into whatever is happening in PA right now.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Smoove_B wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 12:44 pm I genuinely don't believe or trust people that publicly identify as Independents (I think they're closet Republicans)
This.

Every "independent" I've met since 2016 is a Republican who just didn't happen to worship Trump (but would hold their nose and vote for him anyways).
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

That's been my experience as well. Or self-described "libertarians" who may as well be Republicans for all it matters vote-wise. It's the reason when I changed party affiliation, I just went ahead and went full-bore Democrat. Strategically maybe going (I) would have been worth it from a primaries standpoint, but in my mind it felt like a cop out.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I'm independent because I want to be able to choose either the R or the D primary ballot. In practice, I nearly always choose the D. But now I'm kind of wishing I hadn't this time. There were only three competitive races, and my chosen attorney general candidate dropped out today...the day after I dropped off my ballot. :(

At least the R's have some competition between MAGA and moderates. I could've chosen between bad and worse!

In Mass., fewer than 10% of voters are registered R, 34% are D, and 57% are independent (as of 2020). Obviously most of those I's break D, as I do.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

It would be kind of funny to watch Palin lose twice in two months. Woof...I think they really underestimated ripping people's rights away. I mean this is freaking Alaska

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Octavious wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 8:45 pm I think they really underestimated ripping people's rights away.
Enlarge Image
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Octavious wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 8:45 pm It would be kind of funny to watch Palin lose twice in two months. Woof...I think they really underestimated ripping people's rights away. I mean this is freaking Alaska
She’s really disliked in Alaska. I doubt she ever had much of a chance.
He won. Period.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

So at what point do the Repugnicans start declaring victory in elections where they lost the vote?
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Hell, they started doing that against each other in primaries.

Republicans can’t lose. Even when they do.
He won. Period.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

That is not surprising. I meant when will state legislatures start overturning election results?
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Octavious wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 8:45 pm It would be kind of funny to watch Palin lose twice in two months. Woof...I think they really underestimated ripping people's rights away. I mean this is freaking Alaska
Your wish is my command - this is actually pretty big, IMO:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-62747378

For a Democrat to win in Alaska is pretty big. Trump won in 2020 by 10 points.

Of course, this is just temporary, they run again in November, as this was a special election filling an empty seat.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

It is big, but if you look at the vote counts, the two Repugnicans cancelled each other out, allowing the Democrat to slip in. But at least she will be running as an incumbent.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter