Too early to think about 2022?

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

RunningMn9

Re: Too early to think about 2022?

Post by RunningMn9 »

I think the Dems lose both. Darkness will descend.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

+1 Let us be wrong.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Beau has an interesting take on money for senate races:
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Grifman wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 6:30 pm Prediction:

The Democrats will win the Senate and hold on to their majority in the House.

Discuss!
I think the Dems can gain 1-2 Senate seats.

The House was supposed to be a red wave. If the Dems can hold it to a ripple, that's a win. Momentum is in their favor at the moment, but they still have a lot of time left to blow it. I'll be very surprised if they come out on top.

I want to believe that independent voters will punish the GOP's stampede to trumpland. I want to believe that Americans still value democracy. I am not confident in either of those propositions.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

FWIW the 538 model has the democrats now with a 22% chance of holding the House, up from 13% a month ago. Still very unlikely, although trending in the right direction.

One other question is that there's some indication from the last few election that polling has had a hard time reaching certain parts of the Republican base, leading to some GOP overperformance vs. polling. Is that going to happen again in 2022, when Trump isn't on the ballot? What is the effect of Dobbs going to be on low propensity democratic vs. republican voters?
Black Lives Matter.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Aye, Dobbs is the wild card. And we have several more economic reports to get through. Dems have a brighter future if inflation continues to look tamer, gas prices keep falling or at least stabilize, the markets don't tank again, and employment numbers remain solid. It always comes down to the economy in the end.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I certainly don't think Trump helped by pushing some really crappy people through the primaries. Dr. Oz looks like he's going to get murdered in PA. And there are more than a few other places where it can cost them. The big downside to that is the people that do end up winning which will be more than a few. If we hold the senate and hold the Gov in PA we might not be 100% screwed. Well in the immediate future. :lol:
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Octavious wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 12:04 pm Dr. Oz looks like he's going to get murdered in PA.
It's his own damn fault for bringing crudités to a gun fight.
He won. Period.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

:) He is running such a bad campaign. You would think someone that has been in the media as much as he has would handle it better. In other positive news the PA Gov race currently heavily favors the dems. We would be in such a world of hurt if the other dude won.

I'm actually feeling a bit more positive lately. If you look at say Kansas they had a YUGE turnout for the primary because people wanted to vote on abortion. I think it was an epic fail for them to kill Roe. They didn't do that and it would have been a total landslide.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Unagi

Post by Unagi »

hepcat wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 12:30 pm It's his own damn fault for bringing crudités to a gun fight. veggie tray party
I think that’s more on point.
:)
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

It's like watching Thurston Howell the 3rd trying to connect with the common people.
He won. Period.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

And that’s not even including the tequila!
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

The thing is that no one on the staff apparently set him straight about the crudite ad. So either he's got a bunch of other rich clueless people working for him, or he sets a culture of fear in his campaign staff. Or both.
Black Lives Matter.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Octavious wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 1:43 pm I think it was an epic fail for them to kill Roe.
As sad as it is, I think the only hope for our republic was the killing of Roe. We'll see how if/long it keeps the people motivated to try and keep from our republic from collapsing.

Imagine if they waited until after the 2022 election before killing Roe. How the table would be set.

Also, I had to look up crudité :oops: Who just doesn't say vegetable (veggie) tray/platter? I've never heard anyone use that term. :oops: I'm so uncultured. :cry:
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

The only slim sliver of hope (and I do mean SLIM) is that stuff like Roe wakes the sleepwalkers out of their slumber. We have the overwhelming numbers to stop this madness, we just need people to take it seriously.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

If we can hold the senate for now I think there's still hope. And it's looking like it really could happen thanks to Trump being a total f'n moron. :lol:

Waiting for my brother to chime in with how wrong I am. He must be super busy today. :lol:

Holman

Post by Holman »

Octavious wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 1:43 pm :) He is running such a bad campaign. You would think someone that has been in the media as much as he has would handle it better. In other positive news the PA Gov race currently heavily favors the dems. We would be in such a world of hurt if the other dude won.

I'm actually feeling a bit more positive lately. If you look at say Kansas they had a YUGE turnout for the primary because people wanted to vote on abortion. I think it was an epic fail for them to kill Roe. They didn't do that and it would have been a total landslide.
It's hilarious that Trump picked Oz and carried him through the primary, all because Oz is a TV star and Trump thinks TV stars are winners.

Mastriano, meanwhile, won the nomination on the basis of sheer hard-right MAGA/QAnon/Christian-Nationalist insanity, and his refusal to allow regular media anywhere near his events is actually pissing them off enough to forgo the usual horse-race narrative. Every story about him is "What is he hiding?"

Mastriano (a former state senator) is running a small-local hard-Red campaign in a clearly Purple state.

It's Fetterman who's carrying the narrative, of course. Every time he appears with Shapiro (the Dem Gov candidate), Shapiro's numbers go up. (Shapiro will be a good Governor, but he's a traditional Dem running in a decidedly non-traditional time and race.)
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Any recent updates on Fetterman’s health? My only real concern . . .
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
malchior

Post by malchior »

Kurth wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 11:56 am Any recent updates on Fetterman’s health? My only real concern . . .
He's actively campaigning but he has been acknowledging the reality that he had a close call. The strategy they are using is smart considering this issue would easily sink another campaign. He is framing it up as a poverty issue. He is saying he might not have survived if he was in rural areas such as Erie instead of near a first class stroke center. Badically an appeal that he wants to improve access to health care in poorer areas.

They've also been waging a meme campaign about Oz's wealth and Jersey residency that actually seems to be moving the needle.
Last edited by malchior on Sat Aug 20, 2022 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

malchior wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 12:20 pm
Kurth wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 11:56 am Any recent updates on Fetterman’s health? My only real concern . . .
He is saying he might not have survived if he was in rural areas such as Erie instead of near a first class stroke center.
Brilliant.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

He's actively campaigning but he has been acknowledging the reality that he had a close call. The strategy they are using is smart considering this issue would easily sink another campaign. He is framing it up as a poverty issue. He is saying he might not have survived if he was in rural areas such as Erie instead of near a first class stroke center. Badically an appeal that he wants to improve access to health care in poorer areas.

They've also been waging a meme campaign about Oz's wealth and Jersey residency that actually seems to be moving the needle.
Oh, the Oz from NJ thing is first rate. I’ve been following that closely, and Fetterman has been killing him.

I’m just worried about reports that Fetterman’s speech is still slurred. I guess have very little faith that voters are not shallow, superficial idiots who will fall hook line and sinker if the GOP starts going after Fetterman for any perceived/imagined/fabricated impairment post-stroke.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Kurth wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 1:57 pm

Oh, the Oz from NJ thing is first rate. I’ve been following that closely, and Fetterman has been killing him.

I’m just worried about reports that Fetterman’s speech is still slurred. I guess have very little faith that voters are not shallow, superficial idiots who will fall hook line and sinker if the GOP starts going after Fetterman for any perceived/imagined/fabricated impairment post-stroke.
IS his speech slurred?
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 2:04 pm
Kurth wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 1:57 pm

IS his speech slurred?
Apparently, at least as of late July.
Holman

Post by Holman »

The Oz Senior Communications adviser then doubled down:

Apparently she forgot that (1) an apple is not a vegetable and (2) the phrase ends with "...keeps the doctor away."

Asshole.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Hodor.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Also, she's like a baby. Is she even in her late 20s?
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

That was uncomfortably close for a minute

When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

And a REALLY BIG congrats to those that voted for Gavriel Soriano - who saw the other two as being equally valid alternatives to Gavriel Soriano.

I give a big FUCK YOU to everyone that voted for Gavriel Soriano.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Grifman wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 6:30 pm Prediction:

The Democrats will win the Senate and hold on to their majority in the House.

Discuss!
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Does Oz really think branding Federman a meat eater is going to play well for him in Pennsylvania?

It's the place of cheesesteak, hoagies, pork sandwiches, pretzels, and other unhealthy foods.

Oz always was an idiot.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Unagi wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 8:29 pm And a REALLY BIG congrats to those that voted for Gavriel Soriano - who saw the other two as being equally valid alternatives to Gavriel Soriano.

I give a big FUCK YOU to everyone that voted for Gavriel Soriano.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Charlie Crist is off to a good start.

Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Why would they vote for him?
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

/shrug

It’s the message that matters.

And clearly it’s a way to perhaps shame the (R) voters that don’t have hate in their heart that have watched what their (R) vote translates to.

I.e. If you don’t have hate in your heart and regret ever voting for DeSantis, then you are clearly OK to vote for Crist

His use of the word ‘support’ can mean currently or also to those that once tossed a vote to DeSantis.

Obviously, as you say, those that currently truly support DeSantis won’t be voting for Crist
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Like I could try to inspire my kids on a road trip they don’t want to go on.

“Those of you that don’t want to do anything or go anywhere, I don’t want you on this road trip. If you lack any sense of adventure and have no desire to see the Grand Canyon, I’d rather you just spend your summer break sitting on the couch where you are most happy.”
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

That makes some sense. I was wondering if it was some machiavellian: vote for this guy so that guy won't get elected.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
malchior

Post by malchior »

Starting off your campaign by sticking you finger right in the divide or not even trying to win people over is not historically a winning play.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

malchior wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 12:55 pm Starting off your campaign by sticking you finger right in the divide or not even trying to win people over is not historically a winning play.
Yeah I agree. I think that there is some value in rebuking specific extremist groups (e.g., "I don't want your support if you are a Nazi"), but saying "I don't want your vote if you support my opponent", is not a great strategy when you ar ... trying to win over some of the people who support your opponent. Especially when DeSantis, you know, got a majority of the vote the last time he ran for governor.
Black Lives Matter.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

‘Hate in your heart’ isn’t enough like ‘Nazi’ you think ?