Juneteenth

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Combustible Lemur

Re: Juneteenth

Post by Combustible Lemur »

ImLawBoy wrote:
Madmarcus wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:21 am I find it odd that so many people on this forum hadn't known about Juneteenth until recently. I learned about it probably 30+ years ago while I lived in Texas. Since then I've heard about it off and on as a bit of historical trivia / on this day in history type of thing. Is the specific event itself worthy of a big national holiday? Shrug, probably not but neither is the actual events that we have turned into Thanksgiving.

My biggest feeling is that it feels like a better Federal holiday than MLK day. Something about a Federal holiday celebrating one person bugs me. I'm a fan of President's Day over Washington's Birthday also.
My understanding is that Juneteenth had always been more widely celebrated in the South, and in particular in Texas. I remember hearing about it years ago because there were news reports of parties in Atlanta, but those reports seemed to focus more on "OMG! Black people are gathering and partying!" than on the reason for the celebrations. I only became aware of the actual reason for it a few years ago, I think.
This. I new of it as a kid, even knew that it wasn't directly emancipation day. But didn't really know the specifics untill google was a thing.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Is Scott home? thump thump thump Crash ......No.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:07 am I mean fuck, some states celebrate King-Lee day, honoring MLK and Robert E Lee. Can't wait to see that they come up with for Junteenth.
Confederate Memorial Day is a state holiday in a few states. In SC, apparently it was added as a holiday in direct response to MLK day. :doh:
Black Lives Matter
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Blackhawk wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:41 am
stimpy wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:28 am
Madmarcus wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:21 am I find it odd that so many people on this forum hadn't known about Juneteenth until recently.
It's hip and trendy to be a woke white person these days, so there's that......
Mostly as a result of it becoming hip and trendy to be openly racist. White people were largely (self-) deluded into thinking that a thing we didn't see didn't exist anymore, so we didn't pay much attention. Certain segments of the population have shown us how wrong we were. So you can throw around 'woke' like a slur, but it really is just another word for 'educated.'
I guess if you're one of those that buried their head in the sand and really thought racism had gone away, you need all the education you can get.

For the record, I have no issue with Juneteenth day or any other day that folks of all colors and nationalities wants to celebrate. Whatever helps people feel good about themselves is always fine with me.
Plus..... a paid day off!!!
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

dbt1949 wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:25 am I'm not sure about Thanksgiving. What are we celebrating? Religion?
I've always seen Thanksgiving (the Canadian version, anyway) as an autumn harvest celebration. I'm down with having a feast to celebrate the expectation that we won't starve over the winter for one more year.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

stimpy wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:52 am
Madmarcus wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:21 am I find it odd that so many people on this forum hadn't known about Juneteenth until recently.
Mostly as a result of it becoming hip and trendy to be openly racist. White people were largely (self-) deluded into thinking that a thing we didn't see didn't exist anymore, so we didn't pay much attention. Certain segments of the population have shown us how wrong we were. So you can throw around 'woke' like a slur, but it really is just another word for 'educated.'
I guess if you're one of those that buried their head in the sand and really thought racism had gone away, you need all the education you can get.
:lol:

Now you're the African American Whisperer?
Covfefe!
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

hepcat wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:58 am
stimpy wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:52 am

Now you're the African American Whisperer?
No idea what you're going for there. Try again after beer o'clock.......
He/Him/His/Porcupine
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

A few beers won't help me understand why you felt the need to disparage creating a national holiday celebrating the end of slavery.
Covfefe!
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

hepcat wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:05 am A few beers won't help me understand why you felt the need to disparage creating a national holiday celebrating the end of slavery.
Please show me where I disparaged the holiday?
Assumptions are not your strongest trait.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Retconning isn't your strongest trait.
Last edited by hepcat on Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Covfefe!
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

hepcat wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:14 am
That's disparaging the woke white people, not the holiday......duh.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I repeat, retconning isn't your strongest trait.
Covfefe!
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

stimpy wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:52 am For the record, I have no issue with Juneteenth day or any other day that folks of all colors and nationalities wants to celebrate. Whatever helps people feel good about themselves is always fine with me.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

You post a reply that offhandedly insults the creation of Juneteeth to support your argument that you're not disparaging the creation of a holiday to commemorate the end of slavery as your defense?

My favorite self own of the week.

Covfefe!
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

hepcat wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:19 am :lol:

You post a reply that offhandedly insults the creation of Juneteeth to support your argument that you're not disparaging the creation of a holiday to commemorate the end of slavery as your defense?

You love to read things the way you think my intentions were when I wrote them instead of just....ya know.....reading what I wrote.
You're hard on for me must be painful......
He/Him/His/Porcupine
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

You created this troll persona on OO. It's probably best not to get upset when people push back against it.
Covfefe!
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

hepcat wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:25 am You created this troll persona on OO. It's probably best not to get upset when people push back against it.
Whatevs......If you presume a person always has bad intentions, that's on you.
I'm glad you feel that others can change by better informing themselves, but yet you continue to hang on for dear life your belief that I'm always in troll mode.

I'm waaaaaay past caring.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Take it to PM if you need to. This isn't going well in a topic that deserves discussion.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

ImLawBoy wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:30 am Take it to PM if you need to. This isn't going well in a topic that deserves discussion.
No.
I now claim Juneteenth day as all about me day!!!!
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

stimpy wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:13 am
hepcat wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:05 am A few beers won't help me understand why you felt the need to disparage creating a national holiday celebrating the end of slavery.
You aren't as opaque as you think you are.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Alefroth wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:58 am
stimpy wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:13 am
You aren't as opaque as you think you are.
And you guys arent as omniscient as you think you are.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Srsly, y'all. Discuss the topic, or employ PMs.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

If they stop posting, I'll stop responding.
Simple as that.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

stimpy wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:18 am
stimpy wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:52 am For the record, I have no issue with Juneteenth day or any other day that folks of all colors and nationalities wants to celebrate. Whatever helps people feel good about themselves is always fine with me.
This statement of yours communicates that you yourself get no good feeling from this national recognition of emancipation.... none (other than a day off).

And you make it clear, in fact, if a white person does feel good about this being a national holiday - they are just 'being woke'.

Sounds a wee bit disparaging to me... but in that safe 'What!? What did I say?" way...
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

The fact that discussion about a holiday needs to be in R&P should tell us something.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Unagi wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:09 pm
stimpy wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:18 am
This statement of yours communicates that you yourself get no good feeling from this national recognition of emancipation.... none (other than a day off).

And you make it clear, in fact, if a white person does feel good about this being a national holiday - they are just 'being woke'.

Sounds a wee bit disparaging to me... but in that safe 'What!? What did I say?" way...

Communicates to who?
It's all in how my post is perceived.
Those that have a preconceived bias against me will read it as such.
Those that dont have any preconceived bias may read it as I intended.

Racial issues existed way before there was any holiday to condemn or commemorate them and will exist every day after.
If a holiday being declared is what it takes to "wake" you up to those issues, then so be it.
I dont have to agree or like that that is what it takes.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

dbt1949 wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:50 am I don't feel it's important enough.
And I dont like doing this, as I have absolutely nothing against dbt or his intentions, but if I posted this it wouldnt be met with silence like it was when dbt posts it.
It all comes down to preconceived biases, which some of you have against me in spades.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

This vein of the conversation is now over. Stimpy, if you have to have an "it's all about me" thread, post it in Meta. If you post in this thread again, you'll be getting a forum vacation.

If anyone takes this as an opportunity to continue posting about stimpy or this unproductive path, your post will be deleted.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

My only gripe with the Juneteenth announcement is that today was supposed to be the last day of a week-long training program we were doing for a government client. We now have to reschedule, which will be really tricky since it was a group of very senior leaders. And I don't get to count any revenue for the huge project until we deliver that final day.

Couldn't we have observed it on Monday instead?

/first world problems
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
malchior

Post by malchior »

I just found out today is a corporate holiday at my company. Luckily it was 75% of the way through a packed Friday calendar with more meetings ahead. :doh:
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Considering I celebrate Star Wars day, I feel I have no right to tell anyone what holiday they can or can't celebrate. :D
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Considering the owner of my company I will venture to guess we won't be picking up this holiday. I should ask. :lol:
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Octavious wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:44 pm Considering the owner of my company I will venture to guess we won't be picking up this holiday. I should ask. :lol:
If it's a national holiday, can they really stop you from observing it if you choose to do so?
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Our CEO just sent an e-mail a few minutes ago that said we can all take another "floating" holiday day whenever we'd like this year. We'll be making it an official company holiday starting next year.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

stimpy wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:45 pm
Octavious wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:44 pm Considering the owner of my company I will venture to guess we won't be picking up this holiday. I should ask. :lol:
If it's a national holiday, can they really stop you from observing it if you choose to do so?
I just mean it won't be a day off. Which I don't really care, I have a million days off if I wanted to take it off.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Holman

Post by Holman »

Most people won't notice Juneteenth as a holiday this year because it falls on a Saturday.

Next year it's a Sunday, then a Monday in 2023.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

We're going to start watching "The Underground Railroad" tonight in the spirit of the holiday. The 10-part series on Prime has gotten very good reviews and Juneteenth is the motivation I needed to move it to the top of the list.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Kraken wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:10 pm We're going to start watching "The Underground Railroad" tonight in the spirit of the holiday. The 10-part series on Prime has gotten very good reviews and Juneteenth is the motivation I needed to move it to the top of the list.
The novel is excellent.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

dbt1949 wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:50 am I don't feel it's important enough.
I highly recommend the Will Smith Netflix series 'Amend.' That really lit the bulb for me--I had known on some level, of course, how racism and systemic oppression continued (and continue) well past the end of slavery in this country. That series really does a great job of walking through exactly how things played out, though.

Whether Juneteenth is the 'correct' date to pick for a national holiday on this topic or not, I don't know. But the people most impacted by it seem to agree that it is, so I'll go with their determination.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Zaxxon wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:53 pm Whether Juneteenth is the 'correct' date to pick for a national holiday on this topic or not, I don't know. But the people most impacted by it seem to agree that it is, so I'll go with their determination.
I think it will become the Emancipation holiday, standing in for the whole national reckoning with slavery.

This is a good thing, and I'd go as far as saying it's more legitimate than Thanksgiving (which was taught to my generation as a friendship story about Indians welcoming Europeans to their new home).
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Emancipation deserves fireworks. It's sort of like Independence Day so it deserves fireworks.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949