[Netflix] Masters of the Universe: Revelation Parts 1 & 2

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Smoove_B

[Netflix] Masters of the Universe: Revelation Parts 1 & 2

Post by Smoove_B »

The five-episode series has a star-packed cast including Mark Hamill as Skeletor, Lena Headey as Evil-Lyn, Chris Wood as Prince Adam/He-Man, Sarah Michelle Gellar as Teela, Liam Cunningham as Man-At-Arms, Stephen Root as Cringer, Henry Rollins as Tri-Klops, Alicia Silverstone as Queen Marlena, Jason Mewes as Stinkor, and more.
Starts 7/23

Updated; Pt. 2 released
Last edited by Smoove_B on Sun Nov 28, 2021 1:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
hepcat

Re: [Netflix] Masters of the Universe: Revelation Part 1

Post by hepcat »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 8:25 pm ,Henry Rollins as Tri-Klops.

Weird
Smoove_B wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 8:25 pm , Jason Mewes as Stinkor

That makes sense though
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

The Onion's A.V. Club rates it a B:
... Smith and the creative team wink at and play into He-Man’s corniest, outdated elements, but with a surprising amount of respect and admiration, while retaining a darker, richer sensibility.

As it stands, though, Masters Of The Universe: Revelation kind of feels like a winking counterpoint to the more disagreeable criticisms of She-Ra. While that show offered softer, cleaner designs and more “millennial,” character-based humor and drama, Revelations is committed to harder, ultra-detailed designs and the kind of jokes and references that involve sidekicks hiding under tables and clumsy wizards messing up spells, but allowing that tone to develop more dramatically in its own way.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

A "B" is probably good enough to give it a shot. He-Man was a little after my time, but what I did see was somewhat enjoyable (and I did use "Skeletor" to describe more than one PITA customers I've had to serve in the years since). And the cast is suprisingly familiar. I don't recall the character "Stinkor" but it certaintly sounds like something Jason Mewes will excel at!
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

My brother and I were big into Masters of the Universe as kids, but we didn’t have much money to buy many of the action figures. We had a few of the main ones, but that was it. Besides, they were often really hard to find.

Dad traveled a lot for his job, and one year he decided to make it his goal to find all of the He-Man characters for us. So he spent an entire year scouring toy stores in every city he visited, picking up one figure here and one figure there. Two weeks before Christmas, a massive box appeared underneath the tree. We had no earthly idea what it might be. When we tore it open, it was all the MotU action figures dad had spent a full year tirelessly collecting for us. Every single one. While I’m sure it was probably only 20 or so, it felt like there must have been hundreds in that box. It was the greatest present we had ever received, and I can still remember the smile on dad’s face as we excitedly gushed over every new figure we pulled out of the box. To this day, it’s a great memory of the kind of dad he was, and that I hope to be.

That’s a long example to say, hell yes…I’m 100% in for this tomorrow. :)
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I watched ep 1 over lunch. I enjoyed it. But, wow...
Spoiler:
Killing off He-Man and Skeletor in episode one was a ballsy move...
Hamlet3145

Post by Hamlet3145 »

Holy crap, that was unexpectedly good.
Zaxxon wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:15 pm I watched ep 1 over lunch. I enjoyed it. But, wow...
Spoiler:
Yeah, and of course internet He-Childs are reviewing bombing it on Rotten Tomatoes and IMDB because of that.
Spoiler:
I thought the end of episode 1 was totally the most interesting direction they could have taken things. (That said, like with all things comic-booky nobody is ever really dead so we'll see what happens in the long run).
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Sat down to watch one episode and finished all 5 this afternoon. Props to Kevin Smith, that was a really fantastic direction to take these characters and this world. Hard to even begin to discuss without any spoilers, but I'll just say it's not at all what I expected, in the best way possible.

Helps that both the animation and the voice acting are stellar. Hamill is brilliant as Skeletor (of course), and Gellar (Teela) was fantastic as well. Oh, and Henry Rollins as Tri-clops was hilarious.

Can't wait for the rest of it. Two thumbs way, way up for these first episodes.
Hamlet3145 wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:10 pm Holy crap, that was unexpectedly good.
Zaxxon wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:15 pm I watched ep 1 over lunch. I enjoyed it. But, wow...
Spoiler:
Yeah, and of course internet He-Childs are reviewing bombing it on Rotten Tomatoes and IMDB because of that.
Spoiler:
I thought the end of episode 1 was totally the most interesting direction they could have taken things. (That said, like with all things comic-booky nobody is ever really dead so we'll see what happens in the long run).
Wait until they get to the end. I actually got in trouble from Mrs. Skinypupy for dropping a "holy shit" in front of the kids. It's insane. :shock:
Spoiler:
Seriously, don't read this if you haven't finished it
Spoiler:
That last shot of Skeletor holding up the sword and saying "I have the power!" kinda blew my mind. Ballsy move, indeed.
Just looked at the RT reviews. That's quite the collection of really angry middle aged white dudes.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I made it through 3 out of the 5. I had time to do one more, but figured if I watched #4, I would have forced myself to stay up to finish it, which would have made waking up today even more difficult.

Regardless, I really enjoyed it. I can't claim that I was a fan back in the day (G.I. Joe and the Transformers were my area of interest), but I'm pretty sure I'd turn on the original cartoon when I came home from school and watch it just because it was on. I thought the references to the old show (the corny jokes, the premise) were great and I can honestly say I didn't see any of what happened coming. I think it was a great way to use all that old material as a way to actually do something new and interesting.

I can't help but think there's some Gen X influence in the tone as well - angry, disappoint being leveled at the appearance of things and being tricked.

I wish I could say I'm surprised at the review bombing, but this feels like a great re-launch of an IP that was basically a 22 minute toy commercial every episode.

And yeah, Henry Rollins is great.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

She-Ra was review-bombed for similar reasons, and that show rocked. Glad to hear this one lives up to expectations.
malchior

Post by malchior »

This is next up after I finish Dark (probably tonight). Ive found I generally like what the incels are whining about. Amping that up is it has the Smoove_B seal of 3/5s approval which is a good sign. :)
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I did finish it over the weekend and absolutely enjoyed the remaining two episodes - the ending in particular.

I really can't understand how anyone is legitimately upset with this as it has more depth and character development than I expected.

I would have liked more Fisto, but maybe that's in the next few episodes. :D
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

i'd like to see an adaptation of the original mini-comics (the ones that came with the very first figures)
Original Mattel minicomics (1981)
The original action figures were packaged with minicomics, with stories about the characters. Written by Don Glut and illustrated by Alfredo P. Alcala, these first 4 stories in booklet form had one image per page with text underneath. In the early comics He-Man is a wandering barbarian on Eternia, a world dealing with the aftermath of a war which devastated its civilizations and left behind fantastic machinery and weapons. The war opened a rift between dimensions, allowing the evil warlord Skeletor to travel to Eternia. Skeletor has set his sights on the ancient Castle Grayskull, a fortress of mystery and power; whoever controls Grayskull will become Master of the Universe. To prevent Skeletor from achieving his goal, He-Man has received special powers and weapons from the Sorceress and defends the castle from Skeletor. To distinguish these stories from the minicomics which were released as tie-ins with the TV series, fans called this first version of Eternia "mini-Eternia" (or "Min-Eternia") or more commonly "savage Eternia"
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Liked it. Not surprised the fans are up in arms, but Kevin Smith had nerve in pitching that story. Wow.

I’m interested how he keeps it moving in Part 2, and would love to see the story and characters keep developing — hopefully into something still true to the original spirit. He definitely has the 80s puns and cartoon humor down.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
disarm

Post by disarm »

I blew through the whole thing with my 7yo son Friday night and Saturday morning, and we both loved it. All the throwbacks to the original were fun, but what I like the most is that the show goes in a completely unexpected direction from the very beginning. I'm not sure what I was expecting, but this definitely wasn't it...where it goes is fantastic though.

When we got to the final scene, my son turned to me and said "that was crazy awesome...they have to show us what's next!" That's pretty much exactly how I felt, and the second half can't come soon enough.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I had no intention of watching this. I love He-Man stuff when I was a kid but I am not big on nostalgia. I couldn't get anyone to play a board game yesterday evening so I started this on a whim... then I looked up and 2 hours had passed and the next episode button was missing. I really enjoyed it. I can also see why middle aged white dudes are upset. The original cartoon was all about He and Man and this... hell they barely even sexualized the female characters! I'm very curious to see what they do with Part 2. That ending.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I hated He Man as a kid. I never watched a single episode of it. However, I decided to try this reboot because Netflix has done a pretty good job with these licensed franchise reboots (castlevania, pacific rim, ultraman). I was surprised to find I really enjoy it. I'm going to watch episode 5 tonight, so I'm looking forward to the WTF moment everyone seems to say happens.
Covfefe!
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I think it should be obvious from the first episode but this is def not a reboot at least not in my understanding of the term. I think revival is a more appropriate term.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

As I wrote, I've never watched the original. So I will take your word for it.
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Re: [Netflix] Masters of the Universe: Revelation Part 1 &2

Post by Smoove_B »

Somehow I missed that Part 2 was released on 11/23! Super spoiler trailer if you didn't watch Part 1...

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Episode 2 of part 2 includes the line (and this is a direct quote) “ I'd sure like to fist him!”.

Kevin Smith knows what he’s doing.
Covfefe!
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Also, the instant classic, 'oh no, we're going to do that aren't we?'
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

hepcat wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 12:46 pm Episode 2 of part 2 includes the line (and this is a direct quote) “ I'd sure like to fist him!”.

I mean...that's what Fisto does -- he's not Puncho!
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

coopasonic wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:21 am I can also see why middle aged white dudes are upset. The original cartoon was all about He and Man and this... hell they barely even sexualized the female characters!
Not heard of this dont think. Also what the upset part? I loved the toon as a kid in jr high . Is it all girl power now or something? Imagine She-Man and what that would do to them :)
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Smoove_B wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 1:05 pm
hepcat wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 12:46 pm Episode 2 of part 2 includes the line (and this is a direct quote) “ I'd sure like to fist him!”.

I mean...that's what Fisto does -- he's not Puncho!
I await the appearance of Leech: Master of Power Suction then.
Covfefe!