Web Browsers?

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Blackhawk

Re: Web Browsers?

Post by Blackhawk »

Download finishes. Screen goes dark. Pop-up occurs - "Confirm Download: This type of file can harm your computer. Do you want to keep [filename] anyway?" [Cancel] [Keep] with 'cancel' highlighted as the default choice should you hit enter. Like I said, it isn't just me (and it isn't an extension - it happened before I installed any.) Lots of people have mentioned it, and nobody has found a solution except to hex edit the program files.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Blackhawk wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 12:25 pm Download finishes. Screen goes dark. Pop-up occurs - "Confirm Download: This type of file can harm your computer. Do you want to keep [filename] anyway?" [Cancel] [Keep] with 'cancel' highlighted as the default choice should you hit enter. Like I said, it isn't just me (and it isn't an extension - it happened before I installed any.) Lots of people have mentioned it, and nobody has found a solution except to hex edit the program files.
I've never once seen that in years of using Vivaldi across several computers. You have a link with examples? Now the IT part of me is cornfuzzled.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

And it's Google, trying to brute-force security and doing it poorly. People complain about it on Vivaldi, Edge, Chrome... and it's so hard coded that nobody can do anything about it.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Ah, yes, I see what you mean. I had never found it to be a problem before, and my brain blacked it out entirely. Interestingly, my Dell download does not present the window despite being an EXE, so there must be some whitelist behind the scenes.

So, scratch my prior comment about never having seen it before. I'll leave it up to my eternal shame.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Blackhawk wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 12:54 pm And it's Google, trying to brute-force security and doing it poorly. People complain about it on Vivaldi, Edge, Chrome... and it's so hard coded that nobody can do anything about it.
Yeah. To be clear, for 99.9% of the web populace, this is probably a good thing. But esp for Vivaldi, whose entire reason for being is that it's customizable to exactly what you want, it's a problem.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Yeah, it's a lost cause. It's a Google decision that I'll just have to learn to live with if I use Vivaldi. Hopefully it won't be too common once I'm done setting the laptop back up.

Now I just need to figure out the bookmarks. They work very different from the way Firefox does them (one location instead of two, and no 'recent' location option when saving), so I'm having to rethink my structure there.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

And apparently the bookmarks bar has a bug that doesn't let you set it to anything but the default. :grund:

/edit - figured out what was bugging me about the tabs - it was the progress bar. Seeing it moving left out of the corner of my eye tricked me into the thinking the tabs were closing.
Last edited by Blackhawk on Thu Aug 05, 2021 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

That's annoying. I don't use bookmarks much (and def not the bar), so hadn't hit that one.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

In Firefox, there are two separate bookmarks sections - the bar and the Bookmarks menu. Vivaldi combines them into one, which means that I've lost the primary bookmarks division.

I use the bar for the stuff I visit constantly, usually daily or several times a day: OO, email, several news sites, etc. I just middle click the ones I want and work through the tabs. Established, long-term bookmarks went into the menu. Stuff that comes and goes - current games, projects, ideas, etc, - I would just add to the end of the bar and delete when I was done. It kept my main section clean. I can see ways around it, but not without being able to customize the bar.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

FWIW, if you want to use a Chromium-based browser with fewer instrusive Google shenanigans, you could try the Brave browser or ungoogled-chromium. Although both have their downsides, as the video below clarifies, so IMO you're still better off using a suitably-hardened Firefox:

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Blackhawk wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 1:23 pm In Firefox, there are two separate bookmarks sections - the bar and the Bookmarks menu. Vivaldi combines them into one, which means that I've lost the primary bookmarks division.

I use the bar for the stuff I visit constantly, usually daily or several times a day: OO, email, several news sites, etc. I just middle click the ones I want and work through the tabs. Established, long-term bookmarks went into the menu. Stuff that comes and goes - current games, projects, ideas, etc, - I would just add to the end of the bar and delete when I was done. It kept my main section clean. I can see ways around it, but not without being able to customize the bar.
You might look at the speed dial, or a saved session to do that. Neither takes up precious real estate.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Yeah, I saw the speed dials, but they would completely change how I work. That isn't a criticism of the browser. It's a character flaw - I'm obsessively organized and create overlapping systems for everything I do, and I hate change. It's like a drummer with a massive drum kit - every single piece has its place, and when you get it there it just flows. But move one floor tom to the other side and the whole thing goes haywire.

I'll figure out a new system that works.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

any reason why you're switching, other than being peeved at losing the master password password?
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

hitbyambulance wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 5:12 pm any reason why you're switching, other than being peeved at losing the master password password?
I got that sorted in about five minutes. (For posterity, I opened up Firefox on a system I was already logged in on, then changed the password via that one. That deleted all the server-side data, but since it was already open, when I logged in with the new password and told it to sync, it pulled the data from that instance of the browser - still complete - up to the cloud.)

I changed for a couple of reasons. First, I stubbornly resist change. I know this, and I know that it has caused me problems in the past as I stuck with problematic solutions. I make it a point to force myself to change periodically just to "see what I'm missing." It doesn't have to be permanent. I can always change back if I prefer the original choice. But I make myself try new things. I've similarly been making myself use GIMP after 20 years of using Photoshop. Quite a few times I have changed for a few weeks, decided that what I had before was better, then changed back (OneNote -> Evernote -> OneNote for example.)

Second, I was tired of fighting with Firefox's quirks. I'm still fighting with quirks, but they're different quirks. I will say that I'm seeing some benefits. Even using the exact same security extensions by the same companies I'm seeing pages having better layouts and tools that worked erratically or not at all now work just fine. Reddit, for example - I never could figure out why it was so hard to search within a single subreddit. It turns out that Firefox was somehow not rendering the search functionality correctly. Using a code base that's in use by 70%+ of the internet vs one that has ~6% has it's advantages, as a lot of pages optimize and design more for the 70% while the 6% plays catch-up.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Case in point: I can now post comments to YouTube for the first time in over a month. It turns out that the issue that is causing thousands of people to be unable to post comments (or rather they're posted, then auto-deleted seconds later) is Firefox related. It isn't the browser per say, as the comments are actually posted, but something on YouTube's end that is auto-deleting comments from Firefox. It's been going on for at least five or six weeks no, with no feedback from YT at all. I can promise you that if it were affecting ~70% of users the fix would become their top priority.

That doesn't mean I'm settled on Vivaldi (although I'm liking it), but not having compatibility be a secondary priority for sites is a solid mark in the plus column.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Anyone have any idea how to get Vivaldi to open email links in Gmail? It just keeps redirecting me to its own email page, and all the guides I can find are for Chrome and refer to settings that apparently aren't in Vivaldi.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I do not.
Anonymous Bosch

Blackhawk wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:41 am Anyone have any idea how to get Vivaldi to open email links in Gmail? It just keeps redirecting me to its own email page, and all the guides I can find are for Chrome and refer to settings that apparently aren't in Vivaldi.
Looks like you should be able to get it working by manually editing Vivaldi's preferences file. Have a butcher's at this Vivaldi forum thread for the relevant instructions on how to do so.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Vivaldi has a blog post out today detailing tab stacking, tiling, and web panels--three of my favorite features of Vivaldi.
Anonymous Bosch

Zaxxon wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 9:26 am Vivaldi has a blog post out today detailing tab stacking, tiling, and web panels--three of my favorite features of Vivaldi.

Wake me up when Vivaldi takes their slipshod approach towards user privacy a wee bit more seriously.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Good vs perfect. I feel awkward when I know I'm tracked, but I don't need to hide so badly that I demand perfection. I feel awkward using Google to search, so I avoid it and use DDG, but I still use Gmail. I feel uncomfortable when using the option to log in to (whatever) via Facebook, so I make regular accounts, but I still have Facebook.

So some company out there knows my shoe size and what some of my kinks are. Shrug. They're welcome to them.
Anonymous Bosch

Blackhawk wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 11:28 am Good vs perfect. I feel awkward when I know I'm tracked, but I don't need to hide so badly that I demand perfection. I feel awkward using Google to search, so I avoid it and use DDG, but I still use Gmail. I feel uncomfortable when using the option to log in to (whatever) via Facebook, so I make regular accounts, but I still have Facebook.

So some company out there knows my shoe size and what some of my kinks are. Shrug. They're welcome to them.
Just because it might be easier not to care, it doesn’t mean we should just abandon trying to keep our data private. As Snowden famously put it, "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy because you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." If you remain unconvinced, have a butcher's at Glenn Greenwald's TED talk video on why privacy matters.

Besides, while it may take a modicum of effort, reclaiming your online privacy and security needn't be all that onerous. The following Techlore video walks you through the basics:

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I care about my privacy. But how much I care depends on what the information is. How far I'm willing to go to keep information secret varies relative to that. My bank balance and medical records are more private to me than my favorite movie or shoe size. It's all private information.

But my shoe size is 12 1/2 E.
Anonymous Bosch

Blackhawk wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 2:58 pm I care about my privacy. But how much I care depends on what the information is. How far I'm willing to go to keep information secret varies relative to that. My bank balance and medical records are more private to me than my favorite movie or shoe size. It's all private information.

But my shoe size is 12 1/2 E.
Alas, in the multi-billion dollar world of Big Data, privacy invasion is the business model though. Meaning the interests of Big Data do not typically end with one's shoe size. Therein lies the rub.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I think we all understand your position, AB.
Anonymous Bosch

Zaxxon wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 5:54 pm I think we all understand your position, AB.
Fair enough, I'll refrain from further soap-boxery. :wink:
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I watched that TED talk. It wasn't at all relevant to my point. I wasn't saying that privacy doesn't matter. I wasn't saying that mass surveillance was fine. I wasn't saying that I don't value privacy, or that I don't have secrets.

I'm saying that there are different levels of privacy, and different levels of caution. It isn't necessary to crank the security up to 11 for everything. When I want to be private, I'm private. But most of the time, when it is just what I'm curious about this week or shopping habits - I don't care if you know that. I don't care if Google, or Facebook, or Microsoft know that.

It's the difference between caring whether someone glances in my window while I'm walking by (I don't love it, but I like the light), having the curtains closed when I'm changing clothes (which I do), and boarding up the windows and lining them with lead.
Anonymous Bosch

Blackhawk wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:17 pm I'm saying that there are different levels of privacy, and different levels of caution. It isn't necessary to crank the security up to 11 for everything. When I want to be private, I'm private. But most of the time, when it is just what I'm curious about this week or shopping habits - I don't care if you know that. I don't care if Google, or Facebook, or Microsoft know that.
I understand, and I'm saying that just because you've compartmentalized different levels of privacy and caution in your mind's eye does not mean data brokers will necessarily respect your autonomy and do the same.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I've been pretty happy with Vivaldi. The only thing I've had to go back to Firefox for is streaming HBO Max in VR (Vivaldi just shows a black screen half the time.)

Today I sat down and tried to sort my bookmarks for the first time in a few weeks. As far as I can tell, Vivaldi is really behind the curve on this. You can't sort them alphabetically by folder. You can either sort every single bookmark in every location and subfolder alphabetically, or you have to arrange every one of them manually. It's a big problem for me - there's no way I'm sorting 20 years of bookmarks manually, and I don't want my folders mixed in with my individual bookmarks in an alphabetical jumble. I'm still looking into ways to fix it.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Has there been some secret update to FireFox lately? For about 3 days mine has been crashing like crazy. Ive never had it crash like this. It can usually recover the tabs but its getting silly with how much it crashes.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Maybe something is up with your profile due to some extensions?
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Perhaps but Ive not altered my browser.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Anonymous Bosch

Daehawk wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 12:39 pm Has there been some secret update to FireFox lately? For about 3 days mine has been crashing like crazy. Ive never had it crash like this. It can usually recover the tabs but its getting silly with how much it crashes.
The last Release channel update was 91.0.1 on August 17, 2021.

Try using Troubleshoot Mode to diagnose your problem. If that doesn't help, refreshing Firefox to reset your add-ons and settings will typically fix most problems.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Don't know if this helps anyone, but I use the portable app version of Firefox so I can run it out of a encyptable container. I haven't had any issues because usually the portapp version isn't updated for a while after the normal version is.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

jztemple2 wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 10:33 pm Don't know if this helps anyone, but I use the portable app version of Firefox so I can run it out of a encyptable container. I haven't had any issues because usually the portapp version isn't updated for a while after the normal version is.
So that is kinda like a sandbox? The firefox can't affect anything outside the container?
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Victoria Raverna wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 10:43 pm
jztemple2 wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 10:33 pm Don't know if this helps anyone, but I use the portable app version of Firefox so I can run it out of a encyptable container. I haven't had any issues because usually the portapp version isn't updated for a while after the normal version is.
So that is kinda like a sandbox? The firefox can't affect anything outside the container?
No, I use VeraCrypt to create a mounted volume and run Firefox portable version out of that. It's so that when I dismount the volume, by powering down or just selecting "Dismount" from the Veracrypt program, the volume returns to an encrypted state. I tell myself that this keeps the private stuff in Firefox like passwords from being accessible if someone steals my computer. Whether it really works I don't know, but it makes me sleep better at night :roll:. I also keep private files in there too.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I've about reached my limit on Vivaldi. Believe it or not, it reminds me of Microsoft: They've decided how people like to use their product, and don't have any support for alternative uses. They assume that you want to use their mail system, and refuse to put in any support for others (I use gmail - good luck with mailto links.) They assume you use your bookmarks temporarily, as a brief placeholder, and then delete them. But if you use use bookmarks like a library/index, there is zero support, and it lacks even the most basic features that have been in other browsers for twenty years (like the simple ability to alphabetize a folder.)

That's the comparison to Microsoft: Vivaldi is great if you want to use the internet Vivaldi's way.

Sigh. Corporate snooping or limited functionality.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I'm experimenting with something in Firefox (yeah, I went back): Profiles. A semi-hidden function that allows for multiple users on one installation. In this case, I'm specifically using it for a couple of different subjects that I have a lot of material on that's clogging up my normal routine. For example, I'm going to start a profile just for modelling. On that profile I will have separate accounts for places like Pinterest, Facebook, and Reddit signed in that just follow the modelling groups I'm a member of. I'll keep my bookmarks there to make them easier to organize. I will then create a shortcut specifically to that profile.

When I launch it, I'll have a copy of Firefox with all of my modelling reference material in one spot, easy to organize and easy to find, plus, and just as important, I'll be able to remove that content from my regular everyday profiles - including Facebook and Reddit - as it is flooding out everything else.

I'm thinking two extra profiles right now, one for modelling, one for aviation/flight sims.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

i approve of this plan!