Electric Vehicles [BEVs] [FinallyADedicatedThread]

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

em2nought

Re: Electric Vehicles [BEVs] [FinallyADedicatedThread]

Post by em2nought »

Zaxxon wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 4:19 pm A check engine light coming on, in my 2 decades of experience with gas cars, almost always meant something minor like the gas cap not being properly sealed.
If the cap seems tight, a new gas cap is always the first thing I try. I figure it could probably use a new one anyway and they're cheap enough.

I dealt with a couple electric golf carts for several years, and I came away from that experience not too impressed with battery powered vehicles. My parents golf carts hardly got driven and were garage kept. I think we went thru three sets of batteries on those things. I wonder if newer electric vehicle batteries are going to react badly to hardly ever being used? :think:
"Four more years!" "Pause." LMAO
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

LordMortis wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 11:00 am
A Tesla Model S or Model X will retain 88% of its battery capacity at the 200,000-mile mark, the company says. At that point, Tesla believes, its cars are likely to be scrapped.
I'm suitably impressed.
And Volkswagen diesels have great emission standards!
It's almost as if people are the problem.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Isgrimnur wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 2:48 pm
LordMortis wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 11:00 am
A Tesla Model S or Model X will retain 88% of its battery capacity at the 200,000-mile mark, the company says. At that point, Tesla believes, its cars are likely to be scrapped.
I'm suitably impressed.
And Volkswagen diesels have great emission standards!
The anecdotes on the Internet seem to corroborate the claim, though. This was the best statement I could find, so it's the one I went with. I also linked the google search that led me there

https://www.google.com/search?q=Tesla+b ... on+10+year
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Fair enough. My tweak was aimed at trusting company PR rather than you specifically.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Isgrimnur wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 3:30 pm Fair enough. My tweak was aimed at trusting company PR rather than you specifically.
Yeah, I get you. Especially as their front man is all about the PR and I don't exactly consider him to be trustworthy.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Got a Kia Niro EV for my Uber ride today. Guy likes the car but hates the charging experience. Has had multiple instances with broken charging, waits at full stations, and folks idling after charging is complete.

Can’t get those Superchargers opened to other makes soon enough…
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

That's not an normal use case though. Just a reminder for others. Obviously if you spend all day driving hundreds of km/miles then access and speed of charging is going to be paramount.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

GreenGoo wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 9:20 am That's not an normal use case though. Just a reminder for others. Obviously if you spend all day driving hundreds of km/miles then access and speed of charging is going to be paramount.
Agree. But it’s a symptom of a problem that does impact a large swath of the population who are not Uber drivers—people who lack home and work charging.

Also this week, EA had its Hays, KS location down for several days with no communication, severing their I-70 route across the US. Very much not an acceptable response time when it’s such an important issue for their customers.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Fair enough.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Had a pretty unique experience today…. We are staying in a mountain town at our family Airbnb. Being the EV nerd that I am, we have an L2 charger here. It’s listed on PlugShare, linked to the Airbnb listing and set as available for guest use.

We’re about to serve Thanksgiving dinner and there’s a knock at the door. It’s a couple in a VW ID.4. They have 7 miles left and are trying to get to the next town, 20 miles and a mountain pass away.

They had planned to hit the DCFC in Fairplay, a few miles back, but it was down despite reporting available in the ChargePoint app. Turned into a nice chat, some shared Tgiving dessert, and they were on their way after an hour on our charger.

But yegads man, I tell you that the trouble with non-Tesla charging is real, y’all. This is a situation that just cannot continue to happen. It’s embarrassing for everyone involved in operating these stations.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Cool nerdy video from Out of Spec about Flo chargers, which are targeting one of the most underserved BEV charging scenarios: street-level charging that doesn't suck. Specifically in NYC in this video:

ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

So, the heat has stopped working in electric mode in my Volvo. Since it's in the 20s today, I'm running in AWD (which engages the ICE full time for a more traditional hybrid) so that I can have heat the old fashioned way. I'm taking it in next week to have it taken care of. It took a few days, though, for the realization to hit that I could use the old school engine to heat the car.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

ImLawBoy wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 5:01 pm So, the heat has stopped working in electric mode in my Volvo. Since it's in the 20s today, I'm running in AWD (which engages the ICE full time for a more traditional hybrid) so that I can have heat the old fashioned way. I'm taking it in next week to have it taken care of. It took a few days, though, for the realization to hit that I could use the old school engine to heat the car.
When all else fails, many small controlled explosions FTW!
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Sometimes the inefficiency of burning gas can have advantages.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Hmm. Part way through charging this weekend my Chargepoint Flex apparently gave up the ghost. I guess I need to give them a call, although I'd like to figure out how to test the outlet first. :think:
teachingtoward

Post by teachingtoward »

Great initiative on starting a dedicated EV thread! Exciting times for electric vehicles, especially with the EU pushing carbon-reduction goals. Sad to see the end of the i3 era for BMW, but US EV sales' impressive growth is a positive sign. Looking forward to sharing thoughts and news here!
Formix

Post by Formix »

Interesting. My juicebox also stopped working, but the old turn it off and on again (from the breaker) fixed it.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

FYI in case anyone is thinking about buying before end of year, looks like
Tesla Model 3
Mustang Mach-E
Nissan Leaf
VW ID.4

will be losing all or part of their EV tax credits for next year. Unclear if that is due to quotas being met or other issues.

Edit: nope, it's a new DoE policy:

"New rules proposed by the Department of Energy (DOE) may mean reduced or even no federal tax credit for electric vehicles made in North America if their batteries contain parts from places like China.

Broadly speaking, the federal EV tax credit is meant to make sure US automakers are sourcing battery components and materials from companies located in the US or US free-trade countries. To achieve these goals, DOE proposed new rules on Dec. 1 that said EVs with battery components coming from a company or group designated as a foreign entity of concern (FEOC) would be ineligible for the full tax credit. A company that had at least 25% ownership by a partner “owned by, controlled by, or subject to the jurisdiction or direction of a government” such as China, Russia, North Korea, or Iran is considered a FEOC."
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

A robot just swapped my electric car's battery

Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

That is cool, Isg, although I remain unconvinced of battery swaps in general as a widespread solution given the many, many difficulties they present (much bigger infrastructure/storage/charge maintenance, ownership/leasing issues on the batteries, etc) vs fast-charging, especially with fast-charging set to continue improving over time.

One for GG in case he's still looking and wants a more future-proofed charger that's not made by Big T:

Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Zaxxon wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 11:51 am Now Hyundai/Kia are on board. This effectively ends the plug wars in the US.

And today, VW/Porsche. Now CCS in the US is actually dead.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

I saw an Aryia in the wild for the first time today. Almost SUV sized. Not sure I cared for the look overall.
Black Lives Matter
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

First electric vehicle I've liked the look of.
https://newatlas.com/automotive/carice- ... ctric-car/

Enlarge Image
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I'm actually looking forward to trying this one out. The 'Wind' config with AWD/big battery/7-seat setup is right up my alley.

malchior

Post by malchior »

Good video. I am really interested in what's going on with the battery voltage/charging situation. I feel like that is something that is going to change in the next model year and smells a little like it might have been a compromise to get these out the door with a "near 300" mile range.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

malchior wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 3:52 pm Good video. I am really interested in what's going on with the battery voltage/charging situation. I feel like that is something that is going to change in the next model year and smells a little like it might have been a compromise to get these out the door with a "near 300" mile range.
This is the test for charging...

Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

There's a chance I'm catching up on my YT content from the holiday... Out of Spec has been on a roll. Now that it's 2024, here's a summary of the NACS expectations by manufacturer:

stessier

Post by stessier »

For Zaxxon's watching pleasure.

I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Crap, I'm blowing an intermittent code. I think these aftermarket gas caps are really cheap junk. I may have to splurge for an OEM cap. :doh:
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

stessier wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 1:05 pm For Zaxxon's watching pleasure.
Already watched but decided I'd used my OOS sharing quota for the week already. :D

The fact that the existing CCS adapter doesn't fit the Cybertruck is a head-scratcher, though I admit that the use case for charging the CT on non-Superchargers is probably pretty slim. I've used mine at exactly one station in the real world, and I could have gone without. I wonder if the avalanche of NACS transition plans led to Tesla deciding they could get away without CCS (port) support on the CT? I have to think the apparent lack of CCS (protocol) support is a temporary thing.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Away from my house, I have literally only charged on CCS. No Cybertruck for me!

Of course that all ended when work stopped letting us charge for free. :(
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

coopasonic wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 6:29 pm Away from my house, I have literally only charged on CCS. No Cybertruck for me!

You charged via DCFC at work?
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Zaxxon wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 6:36 pm
coopasonic wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 6:29 pm Away from my house, I have literally only charged on CCS. No Cybertruck for me!

When you only charge at home and work and the car came with the adapter you needed, your EV education is stymied.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

coopasonic wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 6:39 pm
Zaxxon wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 6:36 pm

When you only charge at home and work and the car came with the adapter you needed, your EV education is stymied.
Yeah, you were using J1772 L2 charging, most likely. No issue there.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Putting this here even though it's Tesla-specific, as the Highland Model 3 is a big deal for the landscape of BEV sedans. I'm tempted to refresh mine given Colorado's still-around $5k BEV incentive, but I'm going to hold out to see what the Highland Performance model looks like whenever they get around to releasing that.

My kids would kill for the rear screen controls / entertainment, and I'm all about the improved glass (older Model 3s like mine have not-great road noise).

Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Awesome overview of what's actually happening with this past week's extreme cold. Kind of a massive worst-case scenario over a multi-day period that led to charging mayhem in Chicago.

Posted in part for GreenGoo, as he's in Canuckistan and may end up with a BEV. (Clickbait headline note: they don't suck in the cold--rather, there are some specific pieces of knowledge that a lot of new BEV owners don't have, combined with the fact that the infrastructure is still maturing, combined with a rather unique set of weather circumstances. Here in Denver, we had 84 straight hours of wind chill below 0F. No issues at all with either of our BEVs.)

coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

For the first time ever, my regen braking was completely disabled due to cold. The whole drive home from work on Tuesday I was surprised every time I took my foot off the accelerator and the car didn't slow down. Also, whoever decided the alert that regen braking was disabled should be green needs a talking to.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

coopasonic wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 11:33 am For the first time ever, my regen braking was completely disabled due to cold. The whole drive home from work on Tuesday I was surprised every time I took my foot off the accelerator and the car didn't slow down. Also, whoever decided the alert that regen braking was disabled should be green needs a talking to.
Yeah, that symbol is a head-scratcher. They did recently(ish) add an option to blend in 'real' brakes when regen is limited, to avoid the possible surprise. I haven't enabled that, but some folks like it.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

If you set nav destination to a supercharger, the whole battery system warms up more quickly, which gets your regen back faster. Protip.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
malchior

Post by malchior »

Did that this morning! The trick is to pick one along the path you'll be on or else your car will constantly be re-routing.