Electric Vehicles [BEVs] [FinallyADedicatedThread]

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

mori

Re: Electric Vehicles [BEVs] [FinallyADedicatedThread]

Post by mori »

Have not really found a more centralist report on this but here we go,
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... tages.html
A coworker of mine put it in a perspective that I could easily relate to. He said if everyone on your street had electric autos it would be like a full time welding shop opening up on every block. It takes a lot of electricity.

Post by Default »

And if everyone had solar panels?
"pcp, lsd, thc, tgb...it's all good." ~ Kraken
malchior

Post by malchior »

It's an emergency plan. Restricting EVs is one of many potentially drastic choices they may make including shutting down stadiums and leisure activities. But headline the tiny percentage of EVs? There is an agenda in there.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Daily Mail is considered a right-wing paper.
In February 2017, editors on the English Wikipedia banned the use of the Daily Mail as a source.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Default wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 3:33 pm And if everyone had solar panels?
This is important to consider. Quick data point. I have had my electric for a little over a year now. Looking back 1 year from today: Miles driven - 10650. Power used - 3.370 MWh (includes power lost in charging). Power/day - 9 KWh/day.

On the solar panels side - I turned my system on in the last week of August. Through today it has generated 2.8 MWh. I've nearly offset my EV in 3 months...in the fall. I expect to offset 90% of my annual home usage including my vehicle at the moment. There are paths here to continue on this transition that manage the challenges that will naturally occur as we change our usage patterns.

Post by Default »

Thanks for confirming my strategy for the future.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I read a recent study that said EVs can function as home storage batteries when the renewables-powered grid hits lulls in supply. That is, when EVs are prevalent homes will charge them when energy is plentiful and draw from them when it isn't. Those who need to preserve their cars' charges for driving will be able to draw from the grid at a premium price, while those who can spare the charge can draw upon their vehicle for free, or even sell it back to the grid. Using this flex storage will reduce the cost of electrification by many billions of dollars compared to installing dedicated batteries in everyone's homes.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Default wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 4:54 pm Thanks for confirming my strategy for the future.
Similar situation to malchior here, on a longer timeframe. 64.8 MWh produced on my roof. 36.5 MWh consumed on our Teslas & Leaf over 138k combined miles. Plus a bit more on our PHEV Volvo before them.

This is not to say that electrical upgrades aren't sorely needed before every vehicle on the road is electric--offsetting != providing in real-time. But articles like that Daily Mail one (lol--Daily Mail) overstate the situation. My power co, today, already has a program in place to manage EV charging demand as needed. I get $50/year per EV in exchange for providing access to the power company to tweak my vehicle's charge times to the power company's desires. My cars still get charged by go time each morning, but the power company can alter the charging start times, and pause charging within that window.

There are charging stations out there that will manage the vehicle's charging rate so that it only charges off of power that directly comes from your roof, as well.
mori

Post by mori »

Isgrimnur wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 3:56 pm Daily Mail is considered a right-wing paper.
In February 2017, editors on the English Wikipedia banned the use of the Daily Mail as a source.
I did give a disclaimer after all.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

mori wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 5:27 pm
Isgrimnur wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 3:56 pm Daily Mail is considered a right-wing paper.
I did give a disclaimer after all.
You did, indeed.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Saw a couple of RIVIAN Amazon test vans for the first time today. They're big.

The fact that my next car will likely be a PHEV makes it real easy to not consider a Tesla. Though my sister got a Mach E and she still only uses 110 to charge her car and seems to doing just fine. If my current car holds out another couple of years, I'll have to get the full run down from her.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Saw this quote today and found it apt. :wink:
If you're not charging with wind or solar then it's just make believe.
Technically, he shouldn't be here.

Post by Default »

I'd like to hold out a little while longer, but someone at work just bought an Ionic 5..
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Default wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 1:29 pm I'd like to hold out a little while longer, but someone at work just bought an Ionic 5..
I have a friend with one, as well. They're pleased with their purchase.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I wanted the IONIC PHEV and would have new car today, but the closest one to me was from dealerships in NY. That was just too much to do my diligence, organize, and test drive and maybe not walk away with a car. Then it was replaced by the 5.

Post by Default »

Zaxxon wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 1:39 pm
Default wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 1:29 pm I'd like to hold out a little while longer, but someone at work just bought an Ionic 5..
I have a friend with one, as well. They're pleased with their purchase.
The price, though. Ouch. It would delay the retirement a bit...
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

It would be comical at this point how bad every non-Tesla charging network seems to be if it weren't so sad and serious for the continued ramp of BEV sales. Especially given the damage a certain billionaire is doing these days.

On a side note, I took the dogs for a hike on Monday at a state park that had a Chargepoint unit on site. All stations were down, and per PlugShare have been for months.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

malchior wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 4:16 pm
Default wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 3:33 pm And if everyone had solar panels?
This is important to consider. Quick data point. I have had my electric for a little over a year now. Looking back 1 year from today: Miles driven - 10650. Power used - 3.370 MWh (includes power lost in charging). Power/day - 9 KWh/day.

On the solar panels side - I turned my system on in the last week of August. Through today it has generated 2.8 MWh. I've nearly offset my EV in 3 months...in the fall. I expect to offset 90% of my annual home usage including my vehicle at the moment. There are paths here to continue on this transition that manage the challenges that will naturally occur as we change our usage patterns.
My ownership is 50 weeks on my Tesla Model 3. 16,625 miles on the car. 4.629 MWh drawn. 13.2 kWh per day. 3.59 miles per kWh.

In the last 52 weeks of solar generation, we've generated 11.5 MWh.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
stessier

Post by stessier »

Ugh.

I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Ugh indeed. I saw that one but didn't want to keep piling on.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Today it's Jule with a cool charger that doesn't work.

stessier

Post by stessier »

This is different to me. Everyone can have a charger down. It's not a systemic issue.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

stessier wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 12:16 pm This is different to me. Everyone can have a charger down. It's not a systemic issue.
I agree and disagree. Everyone can have a charger down. Having a site down is a problem, regardless of the timing. Short of the local utility having an outage or the site being vandalized, it essentially should never happen.

If it has to happen, it should be in the wee hours for a short period of time.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

1800 miles in a Telsa without charging https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHhf223jGIE
Technically, he shouldn't be here.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I generally think the 'Electrify America is secretly trying to sabotage BEV adoption' idea is crazy. But at this point, the most likely alternative to that theory is gross incompetence, which has the same end effect.

Frustrating, to say the least.
malchior

Post by malchior »

When I got my CCS adapter I spent nearly an hour futzing with it at an EA charging site trying to get it to work. Eventually I succeeded but it was not a good experience. I tried at a evGo location and it worked right from the jump. I tend to pin EA's failures on the idea that it was created out of a legal settlement. They might not be "sabotaging" things but they also probably don't care all that much about succeeding either. There appears to be no one there with any sort of vision at all for what good looks like or cares about developing a quality product.

Post by Default »

Solar panel quotes coming in.
Looks like a 5.8KW 14 panel system for $14.5 so far. Being one person, I don't use much electricity. On the ev front, it seems like the best option I have for my needs is a Silverado? It seems to be the only vehicle that has the cargo space that my Forester has, and the work truck version seems to be the model that has all of what I want, and none of the bling that I don't.
Am I going to find one that is even close to MSRP? Not expecting to.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

That's a decent price on the solar system, assuming you're talking before the federal tax credit.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Zaxxon wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 2:10 pm That's a decent price on the solar system, assuming you're talking before the federal tax credit.
Are we sure you're not just talking star registry stuff? I can't believe you can buy a solar system.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

LordMortis wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 3:03 pm
Zaxxon wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 2:10 pm That's a decent price on the solar system, assuming you're talking before the federal tax credit.
Are we sure you're not just talking star registry stuff? I can't believe you can buy a solar system.
:clap:
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

LordMortis wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 3:03 pm
Well... not THIS solar system.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

If you're all in on solar/BEV you may want to consider getting some copper/mining exposure.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 11:30 am If you're all in on solar/BEV you may want to consider getting some copper/mining exposure.
Got any recs?
Hodor.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Not really.my space. I'm always in CAT.

Mainly pointing out that we'll have to pull a lot of metal/minerals from the ground for batteries and infrastructure.

Two years ago I bought a spool of copper wire from the hardware store for a home project. $12 or so. I was in the aisle.a few weeks ago and the same guage, same length spool was $50+.

I bought 15 1lb bars of copper in September for gag gifts. $12. Now $24 if you can find them.

Obviously physical copper is impractical as an investment but the metal is going crazy, all on the green and rebound theses. Perfect storm.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
stessier

Post by stessier »

I'm sure this will age well.
Legislators of the nation's least-populous state are taking a brave stand against modernity and climate action. They're sponsoring SJ0004, "Phasing out new electric vehicle sales by 2035," an uncomplicated bill that expresses the state's goal to phase out sales of new EVs by 2035 and asks Wyoming's industries and citizens to do their civic duty in resisting the EV. Copies of the resolution would be sent to the White House, leaders in Congress, and the governor of California.

The motivation, according to the bill's preamble, is that the oil and gas industry is important to the state, a state with fewer than 600,000 residents. Wyoming is proud of its oil and gas industry, and that gas—here presumably meaning "gasoline" and not the natural gas referred to in the bill's early sentences—powers vehicles that drive on the state's vast stretches of highway.
JCC

Post by JCC »

Wow, that feels a lot like an article from The Onion.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

stessier wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 2:16 pm I'm sure this will age well.
Legislators of the nation's least-populous state are taking a brave stand against modernity and climate action. They're sponsoring SJ0004, "Phasing out new electric vehicle sales by 2035," an uncomplicated bill that expresses the state's goal to phase out sales of new EVs by 2035 and asks Wyoming's industries and citizens to do their civic duty in resisting the EV. Copies of the resolution would be sent to the White House, leaders in Congress, and the governor of California.

The motivation, according to the bill's preamble, is that the oil and gas industry is important to the state, a state with fewer than 600,000 residents. Wyoming is proud of its oil and gas industry, and that gas—here presumably meaning "gasoline" and not the natural gas referred to in the bill's early sentences—powers vehicles that drive on the state's vast stretches of highway.
Wow. Does that mean they are going to somehow get rid of charging stations? That seems... colossally stupid doesn't seem to cover what I'm trying to say.... I mean when Amazon is trying to fully electrify their fleet and tourism is now just beginning to adopt BEV travel.

According to this site "tourism is Wyoming's 2nd largest industry"

https://www.visitcasper.com/industry/tourism-impacts/
malchior

Post by malchior »

A quick search indicates the weirdness in the proposal - 0.04% of vehicles in Wyoming are EVs and *ZERO* public chargers. Why would it take 13 years to "phase them out"? The answer is simple. Like most things these days this is just a stunt.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Cant make gas forever.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"