Electric Vehicles [BEVs] [FinallyADedicatedThread]

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Re: Electric Vehicles [BEVs] [FinallyADedicatedThread]

Post by Zaxxon »

It's not the case. AAA has mobile charging options, and any vehicle with a 240V outlet (eg F150) can charge an EV.

Also, an EV can sit in traffic with the heat on for a *long* time. Many, many hours. Traffic jams on highways actually improve range because the cabin load is lighter than the wind resistance at highway speeds. Obviously if you're stuck for days that advantage is wiped out, but the idea that EVs are gimped by traffic is fundamentally unsound. Gas cars burn a lot of gas when stuck in traffic for a long time, too.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Yeah I saw this as pure FUD - this is pure back of the envelope math here but a Model Y with heat pump uses something like 800Wh in freezing conditions to maintain 70 degrees. Worst case let's say 1 KWh for math ease. Even if the battery on a typical Y was 50% discharged they'd have 40-ish hours of charge if it ran constantly. In comparison, a typical engine idles at 1/3 to 1/2 gallon of gas per hour. Obviously in both cases you can stretch it by turning off engine/climate control but you probably run out of gas well before the Tesla runs out of charge.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Put it this way--people aren't using camp mode overnight while unplugged because the car strands them the next morning. Like, keeping the HVAC and entertainment running for several hours at a time while the car is stopped is a feature of the frickin' car.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Some dude did a test based on that article, using a resistive-heater X and a heat pump Y.

tl;dr - in ~15F ambient using the less-efficient X set to 70F, expect more than 24 hours. In the Y that's 36 hours, and in more representative conditions (eg setting the temp lower than 70F as one would if they really were worried about being stuck for a long time) that jumps to ~60 hours.

LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I'm not engineer enough to know but I'd assume that a BEV would be way more efficient than an ICE engine at keeping you warm. A BEV would direct all its energy to keeping you warm and it has specific designs to keep warm during cold weather. An ICE engine give off heat as a byproduct and then captures that heat while also venting it to the outside. It gives you heat because it's trying to go somewhere and you won't let it.

Gas might very well be more efficient at providing heat than electricity but it would be in the design and purpose, wouldn't it?
malchior

Post by malchior »

Zaxxon wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 12:42 pm Some dude did a test based on that article, using a resistive-heater X and a heat pump Y.

tl;dr - in ~15F ambient using the less-efficient X set to 70F, expect more than 24 hours. In the Y that's 36 hours, and in more representative conditions (eg setting the temp lower than 70F as one would if they really were worried about being stuck for a long time) that jumps to ~60 hours.
One interesting note is he is right below the -10C mark which is the point where the Model Y won't use the heat pump any longer (sorta - as it still is involved but they use it in a mode where it doesn't try to grab heat from the atmosphere anymore). I'd be surprised if it had much impact at all. Even then the Y is slightly more efficient but at 20-25F degrees you'd potentially see a big difference in efficiency.
malchior

Post by malchior »

LordMortis wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 1:44 pm I'm not engineer enough to know but I'd assume that a BEV would be way more efficient than an ICE engine at keeping you warm. A BEV would direct all its energy to keeping you warm and it has specific designs to keep warm during cold weather. An ICE engine give off heat as a byproduct and then captures that heat while also venting it to the outside. It gives you heat because it's trying to go somewhere and you won't let it.

Gas might very well be more efficient at providing heat than electricity but it would be in the design and purpose, wouldn't it?
It's not even a fair comparison energy wise. A gallon of gas has about 33.7KWh of energy in it. So you idle at say 1/3 gallon per hour - that's ~10KWh. The Tesla is using 10% energy comparably to provide the same level of heating potentially depending on the temperature setting.

Where the ICE vehicle has an advantage is that the temperature setting doesn't matter much in this scenario. Want to run it full blast at the highest setting? It likely has almost no influence on the consumption. That comes with a downside in that you can't dial the consumption down. Whereas in the Tesla you can set temperature lower and buy time. You can simulate this in the ICE vehicle to an extent through some on/off cycles though.
stessier

Post by stessier »

malchior wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 4:02 pm It's not even a fair comparison energy wise. A gallon of gas has about 33.7KWh of energy in it. So you idle at say 1/3 gallon per hour - that's ~10KWh. The Tesla is using 10% energy comparably to provide the same level of heating potentially depending on the temperature setting.
Yeah, my Bolt, fully charged, is just under 2 gallons of gas equivalent (66KWh).
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Y'all beat me to the energy comparison. Bottom line is BEVs are just far more efficient at turning stored energy into movement. An ICE engine is lucky to be 30% efficient.
Hrothgar

Post by Hrothgar »

Ok, lets' assume you're Sen Kaine. You've left home with your model 3 charged to 80% expecting your normal two hour drive. Half way there you get stuck in the weather for 24 hours at 15F. He keeps the temp at 70. How much power does he have left when he starts moving again? How far until empty?

What infrastructure improvements should we plan to make to improve this scenario as more BEVs are on the road?
malchior

Post by malchior »

Hrothgar wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 11:53 pm Ok, lets' assume you're Sen Kaine. You've left home with your model 3 charged to 80% expecting your normal two hour drive. Half way there you get stuck in the weather for 24 hours at 15F. He keeps the temp at 70. How much power does he have left when he starts moving again? How far until empty?

What infrastructure improvements should we plan to make to improve this scenario as more BEVs are on the road?
This is pretty hard to calculate out (for one you probably wouldn't start out a trip from Richmond to DC at 80% - I'd personally aim for 90%). Still I plugged in an ideal trip in A Better Route Planner for the generic Richmond -> DC, if it was 80% and he had a clean run, he'd get to DC running about 30%...maybe. It's variable. That's why I'd expect to start at 90% to have some buffer. But anyway 30% buffer would give him about 24 hours of senseless 70 degree heating :D. He might be able to limp into DC between 1-5%. I wouldn't bet on it though. In reality there are 2 Supercharger choices only miles from where he was stuck. It'd end up not being too different from what most of these folks in ICE vehicles probably did which was find the first gas station they could.

But to tackle the hypothetical about what you need to support more BEVs. It's pretty simple -- more chargers. And more chargers are being stood up all the time. There is money to be made there so supply/demand still likely continues to cause the infrastructure build out to occur. We will also get some help from the infrastructure bill that Congress passed. That should get more built so there will be some rapid growth potentially.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Hrothgar wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 11:53 pm Ok, lets' assume you're Sen Kaine. You've left home with your model 3 charged to 80% expecting your normal two hour drive. Half way there you get stuck in the weather for 24 hours at 15F. He keeps the temp at 70. How much power does he have left when he starts moving again? How far until empty?

Personally? A range extender in the trunk. Not that Tesla would ever offer one.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Hrothgar

Post by Hrothgar »

Is that crazy? I'm thinking of an industry standard hot swappable emergency battery that could get you to the next charger. I'm sure there are technical problems I can't even foresee, but it seems like a worthy goal to strive towards.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Hrothgar wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 1:33 am Is that crazy? I'm thinking of an industry standard hot swappable emergency battery that could get you to the next charger. I'm sure there are technical problems I can't even foresee, but it seems like a worthy goal to strive towards.
How is that different than having AAA come out and charge you up (which is available now)?
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Hrothgar

Post by Hrothgar »

Well, your emergency vehicle could have five or ten batteries charged when they leave. Swap time would be very short compared to charging. The vehicle could then even charge the discharged emergency batteries while going from vehicle to vehicle. In short, more vehicles serviced faster. It's not as cool as say inductive charging in the roadway that could be turned on in emergencies, but it might be more practical. I'm just brainstorming the proposed problem here.
Formix

Post by Formix »

Hrothgar wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 1:33 am Is that crazy? I'm thinking of an industry standard hot swappable emergency battery that could get you to the next charger. I'm sure there are technical problems I can't even foresee, but it seems like a worthy goal to strive towards.
There was an Israeli company called betterplace that was talking about this about a decade or more ago. Although not for emergency use, it was more, drive your BEV into a swapping station, and it would automatically swap out your battery for a charged one.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I think the issue with this line of thought is that it's by necessity extremely complex (some easy niggles: each OEM must agree to a standard design of an emergency battery and interface, as well as its battery management system, either the OEM or owners must agree to terms for actually swapping possession and ownership of the batteries, etc) with very little practical benefit vs an emergency vehicle simply showing up with a J1772 plug and adding 5-20 miles of range via an already-existing protocol and already-existing-on-many-rescue-vehicles electrical system.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Yeah - the entire floor of my car is a battery. All the cells work in unison to get me my power. Just swapping out some wouldn't work (uneven charge distribution can lead to fires!). Even if you redesigned it so that you could hot swap some and only run off the higher charged cells, you'd need to change a bunch of them to get the power/range required. Better to keep the current AAA option and spend money upgrading infrastructure to make sure you are never more than 20 miles from a charger.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

stessier wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 12:19 pm Yeah - the entire floor of my car is a battery. All the cells work in unison to get me my power. Just swapping out some wouldn't work (uneven charge distribution can lead to fires!). Even if you redesigned it so that you could hot swap some and only run off the higher charged cells, you'd need to change a bunch of them to get the power/range required. Better to keep the current AAA option and spend money upgrading infrastructure to make sure you are never more than 20 miles from a charger.
Yeah, to be clear I'm talking about a separate emergency battery. Touching the main pack in any way is a complete non-starter.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Zaxxon wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 12:24 pmYeah, to be clear I'm talking about a separate emergency battery. Touching the main pack in any way is a complete non-starter.
Yeah why not propose swapping out an ICE engine? I mean people would totally take a rando-engine without any maintenance history, etc. "We swapped it out for a battery back that's 3 years old and was exclusively super charged. That sound good?"
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Are we sure they aren't supervillains?
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Formix wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 6:06 am There was an Israeli company called betterplace that was talking about this about a decade or more ago. Although not for emergency use, it was more, drive your BEV into a swapping station, and it would automatically swap out your battery for a charged one.
They do that in China already.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Sandy Munro checks out the Lucid Air:

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Ford has officially announced plans to separate their EV and ICE businesses. Ford Model E and Ford Blue respectively.

This should improve both sides of the business as they can maximize profits with Blue and discard ICE trappings with Model E.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
stessier

Post by stessier »

Zaxxon wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 12:00 pm
Zaxxon wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 12:24 pm
Zaxxon wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:52 am
Zaxxon wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:16 am
Electrek also loves it.
The Verge also has a write-up.
Why not Ars, too?
MKBHD also likes it!

I haven't watched it all yet, but they will get to spend a week with it.

Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

I'm invested in Rivian, so obviously am cheering for them to do well, but I wonder if they have plans to make an ACTUAL work truck that people who use trucks would buy? This model's bed is so small and short as to be almost useless.

Not saying there's anything wrong with a "lifestyle" truck, if you will, but an EV truck with real utility and a full sized bed (or at least close to full sized) would be amazing.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 8:37 am I'm invested in Rivian, so obviously am cheering for them to do well, but I wonder if they have plans to make an ACTUAL work truck that people who use trucks would buy? This model's bed is so small and short as to be almost useless.

Not saying there's anything wrong with a "lifestyle" truck, if you will, but an EV truck with real utility and a full sized bed (or at least close to full sized) would be amazing.
Yeah this is the problem with a start up car maker, they have to find/create a unique niche and exploit it to survive through scale up. I imagine they realized that going up against Ford competing for that market space wasn't worth it at the moment.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I've been checking out KIA EV6. I saw one on a walk in my neighborhood and thought it looked nice. I wish it was possible to drive one. The price is higher than I was expecting.

I am mostly just excited that there are more and more options that I could actually see myself driving, not just whether I want a Leaf, Volt or Prius.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

coopasonic wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 2:47 pmI am mostly just excited that there are more and more options that I could actually see myself driving, not just whether I want a Leaf, Volt or Prius.
Same.
stessier

Post by stessier »

A little angsty in the middle, but I still like the explanations.

And here was a fun road race in 2 parts.

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

The new Delorean is shown ...its electric.

DeLorean EV Revealed – and It's a 4-Seater

Surprise! The all-electric reimagining of Back to the Future's 4-wheeled costar resurrects an old DMC plan.

Enlarge Image
The DeLorean EV is targeting a 100kWh battery pack that should provide north of 300 miles of range and power a dual-motor, all-wheel-drive setup. It will accelerate from 0-60mph in 2.99 seconds, and 0-88mph (you know why!) in 4.35 seconds. The top speed is projected to be 155mph. Pricing is expected to be in the $175,000 range, with production expected to begin at DMC's new San Antonio, TX facility in the next couple of years. Note that these specs are listed for the "Base Performance Model" of the Alpha5, which is seemingly the model name of this new DeLorean.
More pics at the site. One inside
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Not a BEV but plug in hybrid [PHEV] which is all I can reasonably think about in my current situation... So I'm thinking I may need to buy another car sooner than later and so I see you can get a plug in hybrid IONIQ starting around $26,000 still with a $5,000 tax credit but they aren't available in Michigan. *Harumph* No explanation only "Currently, 2022 IONIQ Plug-in Hybrid is only sold in CA, CO, CT, ME, MA, MD, NJ, NY, OR, RI, & VT."

Maybe I'll have to look at a Prius or Niro. After that they really move out of my price range. Even these two are something I'd have to evaluate my living circumstance to purchase.

I have no idea how to care for an electrified vehicle. That's something I'ma need to learn.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Maybe look at the Prius Prime? Also a PHEV, and I believe Toyota sells them everywhere now.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Also, as much as it might pain LM to own a Chevy...

stessier

Post by stessier »

I think LM said he only has 100amp service. Something to verify before getting a Bolt.
Formix

Post by Formix »

Would going to NY to buy the Ioniq be an option? I hear they're really nice.

In other news, things are moving along for my SEV. I'm still hopeful I'll have it around Christmas, then it's practically goodbye charging forever.

https://youtu.be/ErUsBBxubwg
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

stessier wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 4:04 am I think LM said he only has 100amp service. Something to verify before getting a Bolt.
Yeah, a full BEV simply isn't realistic for me but if I can get a PHEV that does 110 with a reasonable draw and get the first 25-30 miles on a battery, I'll be in good shape. Most of my driving is less than 30 miles on on most days and a typical day of much driving is still only 50-60 miles. But I still need affordability. I was hoping to make it 23 or 24 before buying another car, also hoping the supply chain and pent up demand would ease by then but that's looking less and less likely. So now is the time to start my diligence before the need goes from likely to dire.

At first sweep, I was really liking the IONIQ.

I'd consider a Chevy if the right one came along. The Bolt is not the right one. I simply don't have the outlay for a full BEV and the change of infrastructure to my home to support one at this point. My sister picked up Mach E without doing the changes for her house. She takes 96 hours to charge her car and still doesn't have a plan in place to bring her house up to code, upgrade her grid connection, and put in home charging station. Her place is better than mine. We live in very old neighborhoods... Ironically, built by the auto sector in the 50s.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

LordMortis wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 7:39 am
stessier wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 4:04 am I think LM said he only has 100amp service. Something to verify before getting a Bolt.
Yeah, a full BEV simply isn't realistic for me but if I can get a PHEV that does 110 with a reasonable draw and get the first 25-30 miles on a battery, I'll be in good shape. Most of my driving is less than 30 miles on on most days and a typical day of much driving is still only 50-60 miles.
That's how I drive and a PHEV has been great for me. I asked the dealer about installing a better charger and he said he didn't think it was worth the expense/hassle, particularly given how I drive. I just plug it into the regular outlet in the garage when I get home and it works great.
LordMortis wrote: But I still need affordability.
Aye, there's the rub. I went with a fancy Vovlo, which doesn't score so well on the affordability scale (unless you're comparing it to Audi or something).
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Road and Track
The Ford brand will transition to exclusively online, fixed-price, delivered-to-your-door sales for EVs, CEO Jim Farley said, according to USA Today.

"We've got to go to non-negotiated price. We've got to go 100 percent online. There's no inventory (at dealerships), it goes directly to the customer. And 100 percent remote pick up and delivery," he said during Bernstein's Annual Strategic Decisions Conference, per USA Today.
It's almost as if people are the problem.