Steam Deck console

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Isgrimnur

Steam Deck console

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Smoove_B

Re: Steam Deck console

Post by Smoove_B »

I saw this and had to check a few times to verify it wasn't 4/1.

Who's asking for this? Maybe I'm just that disconnected from demand at this point.
Spoiler:
Maybe next year, maybe no go
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I just assumed it was a streaming box for Steam Big Picture. Imagine my surprise at finding that it's a full fledged gaming computer.

But yeah, not sure this is something people are demanding.
He won. Period.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

The base model at $499 CND is too expensive given that you can get a PS4/5 for around that price with more storage. They priced themselves out right out the gate. So WTF? And then the 512GB model is $819 CND. And the button placement both on top and underside look super awkward and uncomfortable, especially for small hands, and my hands are quite small.

I don't know if this particular detail is a coincidence, but the Steam Deck logo looks like the Logitech logo.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Valve just seems obsessed with making it in the hardware market. Though considering they don't seem to develop games anymore, why not. :mrgreen: I mean it's not like having a manufacturer of niche PC and PC-adjacent hardware is anything to complain about. It's just that they can't seem to put anything out that catches on and that they don't have to discontinue.

One of the primary attractions of PC gaming to me remains to be mouse & keyboard. Perhaps the AAA action/adventure ports don't require it, but a lot of the indie stuff, RPGs, and certainly FPSs and deep strategy titles demand it. I'd rather buy a gaming-capable laptop. But I guess if I really wanted to do my PC gaming on the go for some reason (say if my job required lots of passenger hours), this might be neat. But I mean, I can't even find motivation to turn on my Switch most of the time.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Rumpy wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 10:24 pm The base model at $499 CND is too expensive given that you can get a PS4/5 for around that price with more storage. They priced themselves out right out the gate. So WTF? And then the 512GB model is $819 CND. And the button placement both on top and underside look super awkward and uncomfortable, especially for small hands, and my hands are quite small.

I don't know if this particular detail is a coincidence, but the Steam Deck logo looks like the Logitech logo.
That does seem high, untiI I realized you're talking about Canadian dollars, not real dollars.

:P
He won. Period.
naednek

Post by naednek »

Smoove_B wrote:I saw this and had to check a few times to verify it wasn't 4/1.

Who's asking for this? Maybe I'm just that disconnected from demand at this point.
Spoiler:
Well we've been thinking of getting a laptop for my daughter. I need to do some more homework bit this might be a good alternative if we could install non steam games, plug it to a monitor and have a keyboard and mouse. It would be cheaper than a decent gaming laptop

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I’m not the target audience as I’ve never been much of a mobile gamer, but with cloud gaming on BYOD on the brink of viability, it seems a bit dated right out of the gate. Do I really want to spend $400 (minimum) on a big honkin’ gadget when I can play Xbox Game Pass games on my phone or iPad I already own?

And that’s not to mention that it seems to target a really specific demographic of hardcore PC gamers who want to play on a tiny screen with no mouse or keyboard. Good luck tapping into that gargantuan market. :lol:

My initial reaction was “oh that’s cool!” until I really started thinking about what little sense it makes. I predict a flop, but I hope I’m wrong. I’m not great at tech predictions, as I’m typing this from the iPad I also predicted would be a flop because who the hell would ever want a giant iPhone.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

hepcat wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 11:18 pm
Rumpy wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 10:24 pm The base model at $499 CND is too expensive given that you can get a PS4/5 for around that price with more storage. They priced themselves out right out the gate. So WTF? And then the 512GB model is $819 CND. And the button placement both on top and underside look super awkward and uncomfortable, especially for small hands, and my hands are quite small.

That does seem high, untiI I realized you're talking about Canadian dollars, not real dollars.

Everything is priced higher here. The price to value ratio is much too low for the base model considering what you're getting. I just don't see it as very good value.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

i'm into any sort of Linux-based gaming handheld, but i've already got a Dragonbox Pyra pre-ordered. whenever that's coming out...
https://pyra-handheld.com/
the previous model was the Pandora
https://www.openpandora.org/

something that's already out (but running Windows) is the GPD Win2
https://www.gpd.hk/gdpwin2
i haven't gotten one of these, because they keep releasing new models and subsequently drop any sort of support for the previous model

both of these have keyboards as well as gaming controls. at this point the Pyra is sooo delayed it lost any kind of market advantage. it does have an advantage of having an interesting community and a long product support life.
Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

Rumpy wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 1:24 am

Everything is priced higher here. The price to value ratio is much too low for the base model considering what you're getting. I just don't see it as very good value.
How can the price to value ratio too low? It has 16 GB of RAM, it has 4 cores processor, it has RDNA2 GPU. The price is cheaper than upgrading GPU. Only about US$ 50 more expensive than the new OLED Nintendo switch.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

I think maybe 4 or 5 of my 500+ video games are easier to play on a controller instead of a keyboard. This option certainly doesn't appeal to me. I was scratching my head too, but I suppose they want to cover the field.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Hamlet3145

Post by Hamlet3145 »

I imagine the play here is to attempt to bring Steam sales to the demographic who likes Nintendo Switches.

It's a pretty neat piece of tech though that "2-8 hours of battery life" is concerningly unspecific.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I was also going to say "great, a 700 dollar item you can accidentally leave somewhere"...but then I remembered my phone basically costs the same.
He won. Period.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

The Nintendo OLED Switch (which is specifically for portable gaming) sold out in minutes yesterday so I think we may be behind the curve :) Keep in mind that unlike many places in the US, a lot of people take the subway/train to work. Plus it's something for kids (including teens) in the car. I can see why they did it, IF I were looking for a portable gaming machine (which I'm not) my big concern would be how many games would be available that are localized to work with it.
Black Lives Matter
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

If it can do 4k, I would consider it as a gaming pc alternative.
As with all new gadgets, I'm in "wait and see" mode.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Archinerd wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 11:44 am If it can do 4k, I would consider it as a gaming pc alternative.
That would be a neat trick for a 1280x800 display but I guess you mean when connected to a monitor/TV... I guess it could potentially just be used as a cheap computer.
Last edited by coopasonic on Fri Jul 16, 2021 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Rumpy wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 10:24 pm The base model at $499 CND is too expensive given that you can get a PS4/5 for around that price with more storage.
In theory, sure.

I've wanted to get a PS5 since launch (casually...I'm not going to stalk Twitter feeds for inventory drops or anything), and have yet to see one available anywhere.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

coopasonic wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 12:08 pm
Archinerd wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 11:44 am If it can do 4k, I would consider it as a gaming pc alternative.
That would be a neat trick for a 1280x800 display. :D
I should clarify. If it be connected to a 4k tv/monitor at full resolution, I may be interested. I have very little interest playing games on a 7" screen.

:ninja:
but I guess you mean when connected to a monitor/TV... I guess it could potentially just be used as a cheap computer.
Yep.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Hardware page: https://www.steamdeck.com/en/hardware
The single USB-C jack is multi-purpose: used for charging, peripherals, or even throwing the game onto a big screen at the same time.

Deck can be plugged in to your TV, monitor, or even your old CRT if you have the right cables. When docked, the Steam Deck’s USB-C port can carry video, audio, input, etc.

The official dock props up your Steam Deck while connecting to external displays, wired networking, USB peripherals, and power.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

It would be fun, and I can see where it would come in handy... occasionally. But 98% of the time I'm within two steps of a PC and/or console. All that money would just be about that last 2%, and most of that time I happily use for reading.

If I were on the road and away from home a lot it would be different.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
msduncan

Post by msduncan »

Of course the site took a shit and then I was told I'd attempted tooany purchases in the last hour.

NOBODY DOES PREORDERS RIGHT
It's 109 first team All-Americans.
It's a college football record 61 bowl appearances.
It's 34 bowl victories.
It's 24 Southeastern Conference Championships.
It's 15 National Championships.

At some places they play football. At Alabama we live it.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

msduncan wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 1:20 pm Of course the site took a shit and then I was told I'd attempted tooany purchases in the last hour.

NOBODY DOES PREORDERS RIGHT
Jesus man, how many did you order!?!?

Wait...are you a cryptominer?
He won. Period.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Well... I guess that answers the question, "Who is actually asking for this product?"

Edit:

Valve's Servers S*&% the Bed Due to Steam Deck Demand

I'm guessing they unplugged all but one server to drum up publicity. :mrgreen:

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

as for people complaining about the price... it actually seems low to me. Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo get the economies of scale and some bargaining power as a result. in the past i worked with a hardware protoype developer for Valve, and they just are not on the same budget and manufacturing run size as the three major console manufactures. the fact they got the price of the Deck this cheap, relatively speaking, is kinda amazing.

i also am actually (a bit) interested in this. i will (eventually) have a Pyra, but this is way more CPU and GPU power... but i definitely wouldn't get the eMMC version, and i'd advise others to also avoid the base model - i wonder how long it would take for that storage medium to wear out. and is Valve going to sell replacement Li-Ion batteries?

i'm sure someone will eventually make a keyboard add-on (that clips on or whatever).
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Victoria Raverna wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 4:39 am
Rumpy wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 1:24 am

How can the price to value ratio too low? It has 16 GB of RAM, it has 4 cores processor, it has RDNA2 GPU. The price is cheaper than upgrading GPU. Only about US$ 50 more expensive than the new OLED Nintendo switch.
It's as I said. Maybe it's reasonable as a U.S Price, but a Canadian Price edges it out of what I'd consider good value given the storage space you get.
Skinypupy wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 12:09 pm In theory, sure.

I've wanted to get a PS5 since launch (casually...I'm not going to stalk Twitter feeds for inventory drops or anything), and have yet to see one available anywhere.

I mean, yeah. Obviously that's a barrier that everyone is experiencing. At the same time, I'm not seeing how Valve or the Manufacturers would be able to price out anything reasonable given the current climate. The pricing is making me do a double-take.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

HTML holes provide a glimpse of Steam Deck’s initial preorder numbers
Though Valve is fiercely protective of its PC game sales data, a rare HTML hole in its Steam service revealed apparently firm order numbers for the Steam Deck, the company's recently confirmed Switch-like portable gaming PC.

For the first 90 minutes of the system's preorder period earlier today—as limited to shoppers in North America, the UK, and the EU—Valve's database coughed up exact preorder numbers, thanks to "queue" metadata appearing in publicly viewable calls to the HTML version of Steam. During that time, SteamDB creator Pavel Djundik kept track of the sales tally, and by his count, the publicly reported queue for confirmed preorders exceeded 110,000 across those three sales regions.

Djundik's count was limited to Steam Deck's pricier SKUs, so the estimate doesn't account for sales of the cheapest, $399 version (which comes with 64GB of onboard storage). His count, as backed up by other users' image captures of sales data through the preorder period's first 90 minutes, boils down as follows:
  • 512GB model, $649: 71,600 (of which 55,000 came from North America)
  • 256GB model, $529: 33,000 (of which 28,000 came from North America)
Other users have chimed in to count close to 10,000 64GB model preorders from North America, with other regions' 64GB counts remaining unclear.

As of press time, all three models are still available for preorder. However, only buyers in the very beginning of the preorder period could guarantee hardware arriving as early as "December 2021." Valve is continuing to accept preorders, with shipment estimates bumped to "Q1 2022" for the 64GB and 256GB models and "Q2 2022" for the 512GB model.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
msduncan

Post by msduncan »

I managed to finally snag a preorder. It was a out an hour in. It's estimated to be Q1 delivery.
It's 109 first team All-Americans.
It's a college football record 61 bowl appearances.
It's 34 bowl victories.
It's 24 Southeastern Conference Championships.
It's 15 National Championships.

At some places they play football. At Alabama we live it.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Even if this has only 1/2 of my desktop's GPU and CPU power it's an AMAZING price point considering the amount of hardware built-in (includes screen and controllers). If I game more I'd definitely consider it over a PC (which does take up a ton of desk space)
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

supposedly all the models have a socketed 2230 m.2 connection, so one might be able to get the cheapest model and replace the eMMC with an NVMe SSD of one's own, thus saving some money?
ChaoZ

Post by ChaoZ »

hitbyambulance wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:18 am supposedly all the models have a socketed 2230 m.2 connection, so one might be able to get the cheapest model and replace the eMMC with an NVMe SSD of one's own, thus saving some money?
Where did you hear this? On the IGN Q&A, the developers said the internal storage is not upgradable, leading me to believe it's actually soldered in.
naednek

Post by naednek »

ChaoZ wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:26 am
hitbyambulance wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:18 am supposedly all the models have a socketed 2230 m.2 connection, so one might be able to get the cheapest model and replace the eMMC with an NVMe SSD of one's own, thus saving some money?
Where did you hear this? On the IGN Q&A, the developers said the internal storage is not upgradable, leading me to believe it's actually soldered in.
whoa, Chaoz, it's been a while!
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
ChaoZ

Post by ChaoZ »

So I put a preorder for one and it should be Q2 2022 before I get it. Look, I know from a value proposition, you can build a faster PC or get a PS5. My biggest thing for me is that it plays my extensive Steam library.

If I was still a teenager, this would be a non-starter system because I wouldn't have the disposable income for this. Fortunately I'm not.
If it be connected to a 4k tv/monitor at full resolution, I may be interested. I have very little interest playing games on a 7" screen.
I think it can drive many indie games, older games, and 2D games at 4K, but one really has to think about it in low-end PC terms. I hope that it has a decent scaler to turn 1080p content into passable 4K. I also hope that some of the power constraints are due to optimization for battery and that if docked, it unleashes a bit more power to drive more pixels. I hope to split my usage of the SteamDeck pretty evenly docked and undocked.
ChaoZ

Post by ChaoZ »

naednek wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:36 am
ChaoZ wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:26 am
whoa, Chaoz, it's been a while!
I guess I only show up for the really major events like Steam launching a new console, Half Life 3, etc. :D
Chraolic

Post by Chraolic »

ChaoZ wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:26 am Where did you hear this? On the IGN Q&A, the developers said the internal storage is not upgradable, leading me to believe it's actually soldered in.
Yeah, it does seem a bit odd if it was that easy, pretty much everybody would just get a WD Blue or something and have the 500 GB model but $200 cheaper. Without the anti-glare coating and special carrying case, granted, but I could easily sacrifice those for $200.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I am confused. Is this for playing games on Steam or console games?
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

It's essentially a hand held PC that allows you to play all the games in your steam library.
He won. Period.
JCC

Post by JCC »

I find this to be a fascinating device. Though I agree the buttons/sticks are too close to each other. I also think even the highest storage option is too small. I am still amazed at how low the priciest option is.

I would much rather they provide a screenless, small form factor, but powerful PC with HDMI/USB ports for a similar price (with of course more storgae space). I would love to be able to play games in my LR on my OLED without placing a giant PC tower next to it to do it. (Even if it can't do 4K.)
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
ChaoZ

Post by ChaoZ »

JCC wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:45 pm I would much rather they provide a screenless, small form factor, but powerful PC with HDMI/USB ports for a similar price (with of course more storgae space). I would love to be able to play games in my LR on my OLED without placing a giant PC tower next to it to do it. (Even if it can't do 4K.)
They tried this. The Steam Machine concept flopped, mostly because they didn't think through the relationship with hardware vendors. Maybe if the Steamdeck takes off they'll come up with more iterations.