Dead Space remake 2021

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Daehawk

Dead Space remake 2021

Post by Daehawk »

Thanks to Blues News

One of my favorite game series. Well except for that stupid hokey religion in it where everyone wants to die to a alien dna scrambler.

https://www.bluesnews.com/s/238885/dead ... -confirmed
The sci-fi survival horror classic Dead Space returns, completely rebuilt from the ground up by Motive Studios to offer a deeper and more immersive experience. Harnessing the power of the Frostbite game engine and next generation consoles, this remake brings jaw-dropping visual fidelity and improvements to gameplay while staying true to the original. Dead Space will be available on PlayStation®5, Xbox Series X|S, and PC.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
stimpy

Re: Dead Space remake 2021

Post by stimpy »

Are games getting like movies now?
Have they run out of new ideas so they just keep remaking the old ones?
He/Him/His/Porcupine
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

stimpy wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:32 pm Are games getting like movies now?
I think recreating beloved games with modern tech and quality of life changes is a great trend. It makes a lot more sense than with movies in my mind. If someone hadn't decided XCOM needed to make a comeback, I assume my life would be completely empty!

On the other hand, I don't think you can argue that there are lots of new games too. I mean yeah, most AAA games are sequels, but when you are going to spend that kind of money making a game you kind of need a guaranteed pay off.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

stimpy wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:32 pm Are games getting like movies now?
Part of the difference, it seems to me, is that technology is changing a thousand times faster for games than it is for movies. Remaking a 1930s classic movie offers the chance to improve it with modern special effects and cinematography. The same thing is true for games, IMO. Especially since games are limited by the hardware constraints of the day. There are a ton of games with great ideas that couldn't be really brought to life that perhaps could now.

Anyway, I enjoyed Dead Space enough that I would grab this if it's not super expensive.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I remember liking the first one and the second one had one of the most memorable openings I can recall, but I'm not sure I actually finished it.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Yeah, I think the key point is whether the game is worth playing again, and to what degree you can improve it. And there's also of course the difference between remakes, remasters, reboots, and spiritual sequels. Dead Space is thirteen years old (somehow). While gaming innovation has arguably slowed in this century, I think that's a reasonable amount of time. What they did with Bulletstorm, on the other hand? I didn't play either version, but it seemed like evergreening.

If the studio doesn't have anything better to do, go for it. This could be a between-projects thing, or a task for a smaller team/outside studio who wouldn't necessarily be working on a fresh, large project anyway.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

coopasonic wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:40 pm If someone hadn't decided XCOM needed to make a comeback, I assume my life would be completely empty!
:lol:
Covfefe!
JCC

Post by JCC »

I liked DS enough to finish it and replay it years later. I started DS2 but never finished it.

The games I would love a modern respin of are the first 2 - well I guess I would take 3 too - Thief games. Modern graphics and not screwing up the gameplay, atmosphere, etc. would be wonderful. But I would still need (actually quick) quicksave/loads! :)
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Finished all 3 DS games 2 or 3 times.

I think Thief Deadly Shadows should still hold up well today. I own that last one they just called Theif again...which I HATE so much when companies do that.....and I could never get into it at all.
Torfish

Post by Torfish »

The first dead space is also one of my favorites. Loved it. Playing it with high quality surround sound speakers made it awesome!... and scary
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

https://www.pcgamer.com/deadspace-review/

Dead Space review - 84
This Dead Space remake could also be termed a narrative one, since while it doesn't change the major story beats or plot of the original it does cast them in a completely new light via side quests, holographics logs, new characters, and through Isaac being able to speak this time. People like Elizabeth Cross, who you never interacted with directly, are now fully-fledged characters who have their own individual plotlines. The side quests also offer Nicole's perspective on what was happening onboard the Ishimura, and give you more insight into the cruelties of main antagonist, Dr. Mercer, who's now a more fully-developed character.
I dont recall this suit or helmet for Isaac so maybe its new.

Enlarge Image
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

He definitely had armor and a helmet.

From the wiki:

And I think that was the early version. Couldn't you upgrade it as you went along? The wiki also had this promotional art:

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Oh yes I knew that. And yes you could upgrade it and it looked different. But I dont recall a skull looking one like from the modern shooter games today.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

I guess I'm confused. It's a totally new game. So I'd expect the armor to look different. I thought you were saying that you didn't recall him wearing armor and a helmet in the original. I was pointing out that he did. So it makes sense for the remake to also have armor and a helmet.

I don't understand what you are trying to say with "But I dont recall a skull looking one like from the modern shooter games today." I mean... it's a new game that isn't out yet. So how would you recall anything about it? :?:

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

From reading the article I took it the game is more a big update than remake. its the same game wit h some stuff added. I just wasn't expecting new armors and seeing one that seems so out of place for Isaac struck me as odd cause i dont remember it being in the game originally.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

That's not the impression I got from EA's website.
The sci-fi survival horror classic returns, completely rebuilt from the ground up.
The impression I got is that the "story" was kept, but the engine/game were completely rewritten. It's not the same game. It's just the same story. This isn't just a graphic upgrade.

Black Lives Matter

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

TheMix wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 12:44 pm This isn't just a graphic upgrade.
Which would help explain (but not fully because it's EA) the $60 price tag. I enjoyed playing the original and the opening sequence for the sequel was awesome. I'll definitely keep an eye out for reviews and hopefully get to play it later this year...
Maybe next year, maybe no go
naednek

Post by naednek »

man I forgot how creepy this is. It's been a long time since I played a deadspace game and man this oozes with atmosphere.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
naednek

Post by naednek »

well i had my first scream and knee hitting the keyboard tray moment. The sound in this game is just amazing
JCC

Post by JCC »

I've bought Dead Space twice already. Not in on this until it's dirt cheap.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Since losing my wife i dont play horror games anymore. I like to sleep.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

naednek wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:44 pm well i had my first scream and knee hitting the keyboard tray moment.
don't understand how this is enjoyable. i take daily medication so i do not have to experience this sort of thing lol
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

I never played the original, even though I typically love Aliens-type of movies as well as horror movies of all types. I have a weird thing with horror games, though, I get much more scared and I generally can’t hack it lol.

So this time I was like, OK I’m gonna play with the new easy mode, plus cheats like unlimited health so there’s nothing to stop me.

But I still got jump scared every couple minutes and while I love the graphics/environment, I still felt kind of stressed by it. By the end of my short play session, I started shooting everywhere and at everything, any time I saw a body on the ground, as soon as I opened any door, etc. It was actually pretty sad and funny.

Kudos to them, though, it’s an amazing looking and atmospheric game if you like this sort of thing.
naednek

Post by naednek »

hitbyambulance wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 5:49 pm
naednek wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:44 pm well i had my first scream and knee hitting the keyboard tray moment.
don't understand how this is enjoyable. i take daily medication so i do not have to experience this sort of thing lol
the same reason why people like scary movies.

Although, scary movies don't tend to affect me. But games and movies where things jump out of you without any warning and has crazy atmosphere (half life, arachnophobia, dead space), gets me everytime. Just immersed.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

naednek wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 6:03 pm
that didn't help to explain!
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ive played and finished all 3 DS games about 3 times each. But now Im alone in an old dark house and there are noises at times and being alone is different....even if your security blanket was a 4'8" 95lb girl.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

hitbyambulance wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:30 pm
naednek wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 6:03 pm
that didn't help to explain!
There is a level of tension in well made horror games and movies and a rush from terrifying experiences that can be enjoyed in a controlled environment, when you know you are really safe. Yes you are stressing yourself, but it can still be a rewarding experience. I think it also makes entertainment feel less passive.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
UsulofDoom

Post by UsulofDoom »

I know my card (RX 580) is below specs but any one using it? Seen some post that people are but not sure to trust them.

SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS
MINIMUM:
Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
Processor: Ryzen 5 2600x, Core i5 8600
Memory: 16 GB RAM
Graphics: AMD RX 5700, GTX 1070
DirectX: Version 12
Network: Broadband Internet connection
Storage: 50 GB available space
Additional Notes: 50GB SATA SSD
RECOMMENDED:
Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
Processor: Ryzen 5 5600X,Core i5 11600K
Memory: 16 GB RAM
Graphics: Radeon RX 6700 XT, Geforce RTX 2070
DirectX: Version 12
Network: Broadband Internet connection
Storage: 50 GB available space
Additional Notes: 50GB SSD PCIe compatible
If I make a grammar or spelling mistake, PM me. I will correct it. It’s better than you being an asshole!

No one knows the truth, only hypothesis, assumptions, conjectures, speculations, presumptions, guesses and theories.

We are not Gods, but nature. No more than one of many dominate species that will inhabit this planet for a short period of time, on its ever so long journey through the universe.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Original Dead Space dev plays remake

Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Now available on Xbox Game Pass.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

This game sets my CPU on fire. Think I'll just play it on the Xbox. I looked.it.up and it just seems.tk be a thing with this game.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Game Pass? The original is one of my all-time favorite horror games. Perfect for Halloween!
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

I tried this with M+KB and found zero joy. Maybe even negative joy. Looks great, but either the perspective messes with me, or more likely the KB + M. I really need to keep trying to embrace the controller, but I hatesssss it.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 12:21 pm I tried this with M+KB and found zero joy. Maybe even negative joy. Looks great, but either the perspective messes with me, or more likely the KB + M. I really need to keep trying to embrace the controller, but I hatesssss it.
Is it the movement? I remember really struggling with it when I played the original. Until I changed my mindset to picture myself wearing heavy boots that stick to the surface. Once I pictured myself as plodding slowly along, it started to feel better.

If it's the camera, then I got nuthin'.

Black Lives Matter

Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

TheMix wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 12:38 pm
Carpet_pissr wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 12:21 pm I tried this with M+KB and found zero joy. Maybe even negative joy. Looks great, but either the perspective messes with me, or more likely the KB + M. I really need to keep trying to embrace the controller, but I hatesssss it.
Is it the movement? I remember really struggling with it when I played the original. Until I changed my mindset to picture myself wearing heavy boots that stick to the surface. Once I pictured myself as plodding slowly along, it started to feel better.

Did you/are you playing with controller or KB+M?
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

The original was one of the few games where I had to use a 3rd party app to remap everything to where it was playable. This was during my stubborn "not using a controller with a pc game" phase. In retrospect the game was clearly designed for a controller. Everything, including the janky movement was clearly console based. I left that phase a long time ago and use a controller with many, many games now.

I guess my point is that the original game was god awful with mouse and keyboard too. So bad it was unplayable for me, without the 3rd party app.

edit: I should mention that I'm left handed, which added to the pain.
Last edited by GreenGoo on Mon Oct 30, 2023 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 12:40 pm
TheMix wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 12:38 pm

Did you/are you playing with controller or KB+M?
I played all 3 with KB+M. I have not played the remake. But I still remember having issues with the first one. The movement felt really sluggish and unresponsive. Nothing like the FPS games I was used to. I had to change my mental understanding of the character, basically, before it felt "natural".

And those chase levels can still bite my a$$.

Black Lives Matter

Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

GreenGoo wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 12:41 pm
The original was one of the few games where I had to use a 3rd party app to remap everything to where it was playable. This was during my stubborn "not using a controller with a pc game" phase.
Yep. I've been in that phase since...forever. I just need to somehow get out of it. I tried so many games on a PS4 and Xbox though, and it just never felt natural to me. I think I'm just too ingrained in KB+M, which if you think about it, is a REALLY weird control...tool for a game. It's quite literally something that was kind of pigeonholed in because it was there, the specific circumstances of how productivity PC and games, etc grew up together.

You build the perfect gaming system from the ground up, and no one would think "hey, let's just use the h/w inputs we've been using for ages on a desktop PC!!" :D I am aware of that, yet still I resist. It just feels so unnatural to me for whatever reason. I wish I could figure it out (is it because it's slow in comparison, or maybe too fast? Movement axes are wider? etc..), because I would love to play some games that are obviously "best with controller".

Notable exceptions: any racing game, and pinball games (probably some others, but I play the hell out of both of those on consoles, and they are hellaciously fun).
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

I started this on the Series X. I'm about half way through right now. It's almost exactly how I remember the game, but with much better graphics and sound. And yes Isaac does control a bit slow, but you adjust to it fairly quickly if you keep playing.
FTE
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

I finished it up this morning. It was enjoyable throughout its runtime. I would definitely play remakes of 2 and 3 if they make them.
FTE