Grounded - co-op survival craft

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

coopasonic

Grounded - co-op survival craft

Post by coopasonic »

This has been in early access for a while now. I was introduced to it on GamePass for PC. It's basically Honey I shrunk the kids the base-building, crafting, survival game.

You are a teenager about the size of an ant in a backyard. You collect materials and analyze them to learn to make tools, weapons, armor, building blocks (foundations, floors, walls, etc) and explore to find BURGL chips that you turn in to unlock even more stuff that cost science points you earn from doing daily tasks from finding a specific BURGL chip to killing 10 aphids to building a marker at a specific landmark. In the beginning most everything is a threat. Eventually you are beating down orb weavers and stink bugs to gear yourself up to take on the first boss just added to the game, the brood mother.

I think that has been mentioned before but I couldn't find a specific thread. If you enjoy survival games, this is a nice take on the genre, though it can be pretty challenging without a co-op partner (plays up to 4).
Last edited by coopasonic on Wed Oct 12, 2022 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
naednek

Re: Grounded - Early Access co-op survival

Post by naednek »

I played it awhile back. Is this a new mode or did they change the direction of the game? The mode I played was more of a light rpg\adventure game.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I guess you could have played it with food & water needs turned off. It has never had anything like character levels or stats or any real choice story wise though so calling it an rpg wouldn't be very accurate in my mind. It has always had the building stuff.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
naednek

Post by naednek »

coopasonic wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:04 pm I guess you could have played it with food & water needs turned off. It has never had anything like character levels or stats or any real choice story wise though so calling it an rpg wouldn't be very accurate in my mind. It has always had the building stuff.
weird i just never seen it advertised a coop survival. When I played it there was about an hour of content. You had to set up links to antennas, avoid ants, you then had to travel to some device which I can't recall what it was
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Survival and Multiplayer are the first two tags on Steam. Every article I see describes it as a survival game. I haven't seen any advertising for it.

FYI you could easily spend 20+ hours with it now.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Full release coming in September (no specific date was announced that I saw). I am interested to get back to this. They've added a ton since the original preview release and I'm excited to get the full story.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

coopasonic wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 2:27 pm Full release coming in September (no specific date was announced that I saw). I am interested to get back to this. They've added a ton since the original preview release and I'm excited to get the full story.
Today is the day. I will be playing this all the way through for sure, thanks GamePass! We spent a lot of time on it in early access and I am excited to see the whole thing come together.

They also are making co-op really easy with shared worlds, where basically it's a shared cloud save and whoever is playing is the host and when the host shuts down the save is updated in the cloud ready for the next session.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
naednek

Post by naednek »

when i search for it, it shows up as a preview. Is that the same?
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

naednek wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 1:48 pm when i search for it, it shows up as a preview. Is that the same?
Looks like it’s live for me, version 1.0 for $39.99. Maybe it was just the time or need a Steam update?

Anyway, looks like it could be fun!
naednek

Post by naednek »

rittchard wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 2:45 pm
naednek wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 1:48 pm when i search for it, it shows up as a preview. Is that the same?
Looks like it’s live for me, version 1.0 for $39.99. Maybe it was just the time or need a Steam update?

Anyway, looks like it could be fun!
ya when you search and select it says preview, but after it's installed the preview goes away
naednek

Post by naednek »

SmooveB, in case you are wondering. This game will make you queasy, but it has a FOV adjustment. I found out too late BLEGH
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Looks fun and nice. Its by Obsidian too.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

So far it has crashed to desktop twice in less than a minute of total play. I'll give it another shot tomorrow.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

So wait, in order to play this with my kids I need to pay for an XBOX Live subscription ??!

Whaaaaaaat?
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Can I play on PC Gamepass while my kid plays on his Xbox? (Same account).

I’m a literal moron when it comes to anything multiplayer and setup, connections, etc.

83 Metacritic for those that care.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 9:09 pm Can I play on PC Gamepass while my kid plays on his Xbox? (Same account).
Not a chance.

since like 1995

The entire reason the gaming industry made 'an account' and 'multiplayer games' - was to force 2+ purchases.
Reemul

Post by Reemul »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 9:09 pm Can I play on PC Gamepass while my kid plays on his Xbox? (Same account).

I’m a literal moron when it comes to anything multiplayer and setup, connections, etc.

Yes you can, You make the Xbox the home xbox and he can log in to Game Pass on Xbox without the need for you to be logged in to the console and then you logging in on your PC to Game pass and play together. I play on the PC with my kids all the time on their Xbox. It's worked since Forza 4.
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

Played a little bit yesterday, I have no prior experience with it during early access or whatever. No technical issues thus far which was nice because random games keep messing up on me lately (I'm looking at you Conan :x ). Graphics are fantastic, the UI and movement, etc all extremely smooth. I didn't experience any motion sickness luckily, but I did switch from first to third person fairly early on.

Gameplay seemed very RPG-ish to me. Not a bad thing, but it wasn't exactly what I was expecting. Actually I didn't really know what to expect but I think I was imagining more of a strategic type of game. It actually reminded me more of Conan Exiles, but with even more story/quests and 100% less giant dongs. I'm not normally much of a base builder type of player, so I don't know how long this will keep me interested. It's not that I don't like building cool bases, but I just kind of stink at putting stuff together. I do like the entire setting/premise and in that sense it works better as an open-world-ish survival/crafting RPG type of game. I'm certainly curious to see if Pete can get himself out of this predicament!
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I'd say base building is only a focus of the game if you want it to be. Yes, you need some structure to keep everything, but no need to get all fancy. A box is fine.

I am still seeing consistent crashing in multiplayer that makes it basically impossible to play. I don't really remember having any issues of this nature in early access, so this is pretty disappointing to me. I was to play a little bit single player this morning, but that's not what I want to be doing. I hope it gets worked out.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Reemul wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 11:18 am

Yes you can, You make the Xbox the home xbox and he can log in to Game Pass on Xbox without the need for you to be logged in to the console and then you logging in on your PC to Game pass and play together. I play on the PC with my kids all the time on their Xbox. It's worked since Forza 4.
That sounds great, thanks! But…can you break it down a bit more for me/clarify? Pretend I have a very low console/gaming IQ. :ninja:
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

My crashing problem was an issue on my end. Some services weren't running that apparently Grounded cares about. Anyway, I've been playing the game pretty steadily since release. My oldest joined me in co-op for a total of maybe an hour but has lost all interest. I'm not in the upper yard, an area I never ventured into in my time in early access. It didn't exist for most of my playtime. It's a bit tough going solo, but I am still making progress. The experience is super open world and I wouldn't mind just a bit more structured guidance. It all works, but is not 100% my preferred operating model.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Re: Grounded - co-op survival craft

Post by coopasonic »

Finished the game this morning. It was excellent all the way through with lots of exploration and some tough fights and possibly the best end credits song ever.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

coopasonic wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 10:09 am Finished the game this morning. It was excellent all the way through with lots of exploration and some tough fights and possibly the best end credits song ever.
Better than How You Like Me Now? by The Heavy? Do tell! I still listen to The Heavy pretty regularly. Owing completely to BL2.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Wait....so there's an end game?
I though this was like Minecraft where you just continue to build and grow stuff.
I may have to give this a look.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I just found an area for Berries last night! Now I'm gonna be opening cans of whoop ass all over the place.
He won. Period.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

stimpy wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 1:58 pm Wait....so there's an end game?
I though this was like Minecraft where you just continue to build and grow stuff.
This is very much a story driven game. Yes, you can ignore the story forever and ever and just explore and build and whatnot, but there is actually a point to it all.

Just a point of clarity, on growing stuff, the "farming" in the game is pathetic and largely useless.
TheMix wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 1:47 pm
coopasonic wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 10:09 am Finished the game this morning. It was excellent all the way through with lots of exploration and some tough fights and possibly the best end credits song ever.
Better than How You Like Me Now? by The Heavy? Do tell! I still listen to The Heavy pretty regularly. Owing completely to BL2.
I have no recollection of that and I am in the office so can't check it out right now to see if it triggers any memory. Just to be clear, I am not calling it particularly musically impressive. It is just more lyrically cute and "best ever" may be a bit of hyperbole.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

coopasonic wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 3:20 pm
This is very much a story driven game. Yes, you can ignore the story forever and ever and just explore and build and whatnot, but there is actually a point to it all.

Just a point of clarity, on growing stuff, the "farming" in the game is pathetic and largely useless.
I have no recollection of that and I am in the office so can't check it out right now to see if it triggers any memory. Just to be clear, I am not calling it particularly musically impressive. It is just more lyrically cute and "best ever" may be a bit of hyperbole.
Ah. Fair enough! :D

Borderlands 2 intro (jump to the 2:53 mark if you want where the song starts) will always stand out for me with The Heavy's "Short Change Hero"; and the closing credits, if you want the walk down memory lane. :wub:

... I never really connected how well those two songs fit. At the start you really aren't a hero yet. So you get mostly dismissed. But by the end you can stand up with a smug "how you like me now"? And I think it's fair to say that Jack doesn't like you... not at all.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

naednek wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:56 pm I played it awhile back. Is this a new mode or did they change the direction of the game? The mode I played was more of a light rpg\adventure game.
This is what I thought it was going to be. I installed it a week ago and was very surprised it's actually a survival game. I'm really enjoying it though. They got the feeling of being shrunk down in the yard just right.
Reemul

Post by Reemul »

TheMix wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 4:06 pm
coopasonic wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 3:20 pm

Ah. Fair enough! :D

Borderlands 2 intro (jump to the 2:53 mark if you want where the song starts) will always stand out for me with The Heavy's "Short Change Hero"; and the closing credits, if you want the walk down memory lane. :wub:

... I never really connected how well those two songs fit. At the start you really aren't a hero yet. So you get mostly dismissed. But by the end you can stand up with a smug "how you like me now"? And I think it's fair to say that Jack doesn't like you... not at all.
Yep I still listen to those songs thanks for BL2, even my kids do :)