Chernobylite

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

coopasonic

Chernobylite

Post by coopasonic »

No idea what platforms it is available on (releasing 9/7 on last gen consoles, next gen version coming later this year), I got it on steam this morning after it exited Early Access.

As the name suggests it takes place around the Chernobyl/Pripyat area and might remind folks a bit of Stalker or the Metro games.

It's a bit different with a bit of a survival-ish stuff, base building, crafting and resource management. Your character has physical and mental health (psyche) with a radiation component as well which appears to limit your max health. Your base has comfort level, power, air quality, radiation level, bed count and maybe one other thing. Each day you select a mission for yourself and for any/all of your companions. Everyone goes solo. You need rations to feed your people each day to keep them happy. You spend your skill points to get training from your crew, each person has different things they can teach you. You can build weapons, ammo, weapon mods (scope, extended mag, heavy stock, etc).

I've only played through the opening stuff and am partway through the second day of choose your own mission stuff and only have one companion so far but so far it is interesting. There is opportunity for stealth. Stealth kills are initially pretty loud and messy and damage your psyche. You collect resources when you are out on missions to build stuff back at base and improve weapons and whatnot. There are also NPCs in the world you can interact with, talking and trading.

Oh and you use a wormhole gun to get to and back from your mission areas.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Re: Chernobylite

Post by coopasonic »

...and done.

Steam says 19.6 hours. That may be a bit high as I had issues with the game loading in one particular mission that was a pain and I *really* needed to reload and it wouldn't. I could only restart the day which really slows things down. I also ran the final mission twice because the first time I didn't bring the right stuff to handle the end game boss fight. I used a shotgun and pistol from start to finish... but they were NOT the right tools for that final fight. Hint: bring an assault rifle and a good quantity of ammo, also recruit and keep everyone until the end to have the best chance.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Thanks for stepping up and being the pathfinder for the group. So, buy now, wait for sale, or discount bin?
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I think it has an interesting if not entirely surprising story. The gameplay was good and only wore as bit thin in the later missions because there aren't really enough maps. The base building is super basic but serves a purpose. The choices you get are relatively interesting and the consequences are at least somewhat predictable and uhhh can be mitigated you could say. The biggest negative will likely be the deceptive save system. It has checkpoint saves and though it offers you a save/quicksave option it is basically just making a backup copy of the checkpoint save. This is probably because death is a game mechanic and that is all I can safely say about that.

I wouldn't call it a great game, but it's good and I enjoyed my time with it and easily got my $27 worth.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Thanks for the review! I'll put it on my wishlist.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Is there a way to set the hand scanner to simply scan for everything at once instead of choosing each one, scanning, then choosing the next and scanning?

I just started and got through the tutorial and am at base. he suggest building sleeping arrangements but I cant build anything but a workbench. Need more junk and herbs.

Getting that old Stalker vibe but its also making me make decisions and I suck at that. I plan to play it with my missing wife in mind and follow everything she says in my head lol. Probably a bad strategy but heck who cares. Im also going to try and stay away from guides unless Im stuck good. Might as well do it all by my own decisions once.

Home base holds promise as I can already see a primitive layout in my head.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Im not getting the scanning at all or the skills. I came across a door that requires pick lock but I dont have that skill. I dont have any points to choose it. And I dont even see it among all the skills I could view. Shrug.

The big thing confusing me is the scanner. It has setting for things like mushrooms or electronics or flammables .......but it seems to show everything with a scan of anything on any setting .Not sure how to use this thing. Im so afraid Ill miss some needed supplies that I just stand around scanning for each setting then moving a few feet and doing it again. Takes like 30 sec between scans. its turned into a scanning sim.

And online if you try to search for anything about the game Chernobylite it shows shit for the tv show only or links to how the devs scanned the real Chernobyl. .

The devs should have made the scanner just scan when you use it for everything without settings.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Im gonna need to find a tweak guide. Anyone got a good one? It runs pretty good but after playing a bit and alt tabbing it will begin to slow and move in slow motion . Had the portal crash me to desktop once going home. Little choppy on melee take downs also. Man Igor like to stabby stabby on those.

I have the White Rose and Autumn Dread packs installed. In the EXTRAS menu it allows me to choose which to turn on for each gun type. Should I do this at the start of my adventure? If so is there one to choose over another or is just graphical skins for the guns?
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Alt tabbing? Are you insane? :shock:

Seriously, I've had way too many games not play nice with doing that.

Can you run in windowed mode? That might help.

Otherwise, if you are running via Steam, use the Steam overlay to launch a browser window. It'll play nicer.

I would avoid alt tabbing.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Stumbled into a toxic radiation area so moved away. I was still dying so ate all my health and anti-rad stuff. Still dying. Realized I was still too close and not actually radiated myself. DOH. Had to make a stove and make more stuff.

Not 20 feet away I stumbled into two very well armed guys in the dark who lit up my ass. I still haven't found how to assign my guns and such. Its still default like 7 is pistol and Im used to it being 1 and stuff. So in the fight Im trying to arm myself.....No thats the scanner. Dont need the portal gun!. What the hell did I just eat?!??...oh Im dead nm.

And I cant even equip my assault rifle to a key. Im still having to go into INV and click it to hold it. So thats the first thing I gotta learn before I play more.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Figured it out. But damn thats a clunky ass system.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Ok, I was very interested in this but I read that if you don't make the correct decisions that you have to replay those sections and get it right. Is that true, because I would find that very annoying, and this has put me off from thinking about getting the game. I hate replaying sections due to some unknown fail state.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Grifman wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 7:25 pm Ok, I was very interested in this but I read that if you don't make the correct decisions that you have to replay those sections and get it right. Is that true, because I would find that very annoying, and this has put me off from thinking about getting the game. I hate replaying sections due to some unknown fail state.
I never noticed anything like that in my playthrough. It does have a mechanic to change your decisions but that's not how it works.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter