[FX/Hulu] Y: The Last Man

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Smoove_B

[FX/Hulu] Y: The Last Man

Post by Smoove_B »

I searched and we've had a few random discussions on this - both the comic book and the multiple attempts to create this show.

It's been stalled out for years, but it's finally happening.

Only one remained... The question is Y. Y: The Last Man premieres September 13. Streaming exclusively on FX on Hulu.
Last edited by Smoove_B on Fri Aug 06, 2021 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
ChaoZ

Re: [FX] Y: The Last Man

Post by ChaoZ »

I loved the comics, but I honestly don't remember if I finished reading them. Great concept, and should make great TV.
Filmed in my city too!
Last edited by ChaoZ on Thu Aug 05, 2021 4:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I'd need to look to see when I stopped collecting them, but I know I didn't finish. I want to say there was some type of publication interruption at some point and there were months and months before issues were released? It's all a blur.

I'm still in disbelief it's actually happening. For some reason I feel like the timing is perfect and it's going to be really, really popular. :D
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

I gave up on the comics eventually. My memories are hazy, but I recall liking the premise but finding Yorick pretty dull as a protagonist. I also found it a bit off-putting that almost all of the women he encountered were improbably hot.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Diane Lane as president. Cool, she's a great actress.

That said, this series has a very troubled development history,with the showrunners and various actors being replaced. Hope it survived all of that turmoil.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
naednek

Post by naednek »

so it says fx on hulu on the corner. is that a different channel from any other FX? I have youtube TV
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It airs on FX and is available on Hulu the next day.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Smoove_B

Re: [FX/Hulu] Y: The Last Man

Post by Smoove_B »

Updated!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

What is FX on Hulu?

FX on Hulu is a dedicated hub on Hulu where you can access acclaimed and award-winning FX Networks series, as well as new FX Original Series (after episodes air on FX and FXX) and FX Originals that stream exclusively on Hulu.
When will new episodes of FX original series be available on Hulu?

Episodes of new FX original series and new seasons of existing series that premiere on FX and FXX will be available the day after on Hulu [12:01 a.m. Hawaii (HST) | 2:01 a.m. PST | 5:01 a.m. EST].

Episodes of select new FX originals, exclusively on Hulu including Devs, Mrs. America, A Teacher and The Old Man will be available at 12:01 a.m. EST the day of premiere.
naednek

Post by naednek »

Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 6:52 pm It airs on FX and is available on Hulu the next day.
thank you.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Always glad to help.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Y: The Last Man (10 episodes) begins streaming Sept. 13 with Episodes 1-3 on FX on Hulu. New episodes will be released weekly.
Seems to be getting average reviews. :?
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Smoove_B wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:10 pm
Y: The Last Man (10 episodes) begins streaming Sept. 13 with Episodes 1-3 on FX on Hulu. New episodes will be released weekly.
Seems to be getting average reviews. :?
I read a review saying it's kind of "meh" but it's only the first 3 episodes so it could improve. Also why not give it a try? Gotta watch something while waiting for the next episode of Only Murders in the Building to drop.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
malchior

Post by malchior »

It could improve but I'm not surprised. The development history of this show was pretty rocky and the team at the helm is pretty inexperienced.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

$iljanus wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:07 am I read a review saying it's kind of "meh" but it's only the first 3 episodes so it could improve. Also why not give it a try? Gotta watch something while waiting for the next episode of Only Murders in the Building to drop.
Oh, I'm definitely still going to watch it, but like malchior pointed out, the development history is so troubled my hopes that it's good are low. I'm trying not to get over-excited.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Yeah I'm hoping I'll still like it but expectations were low and now lower.
Hamlet3145

Post by Hamlet3145 »

Halfway through episode 2. The actors are doing what they can (Diane Lane is great as usual). The directing, pacing and tone are . . . not great. They seems to be trying to play it realistically rather than embrace the kind of absurdist comic book roots.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I’m about two and a half episodes in. Who knew an apocalypse could be so….boring.
He won. Period.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I only watched the first episode last night. I liked what I'd seen, but yeah, it's slow. Definitely different pacing than the comic - they've accelerated a number of the stories and shared much more information. I think that makes sense as the comic (IIRC) was mainly told from Yorick's perspective to start. Having the President and Agent 355 in it from the beginning makes sense as I don't think this show would work as a solo POV for very long, particularly out of the gate.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

hepcat wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:04 pm I’m about two and a half episodes in. Who knew an apocalypse could be so….boring.
Anyone who's watched The Walking Dead.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Ray Bloody Purchase!

I mean….BAM!
He won. Period.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

When they say "new episodes every Monday" they apparently mean "starting at 12am EST" as I've now watched the first four.

I am still enjoying it. I think they're doing a solid job of fleshing out the various story arcs. Yes, it's still slow but I'm genuinely interested in seeing what's unfolding with the President and Kimberly as well as Nora and Hero.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

I give it eight to ten episodes before they announce the cancellation. This show SUCKS. If my time had any value at all, I'd have switched it off after the first half episode.
Daehawk wrote:Thats Drazzil's chair damnit.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Well I'm glad Beth turned him down. She was majorly annoying.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I'm still enjoying this show; the newest episode ("Weird Al is Dead") was...pretty dark. Not that the show has been sunshine and lollipops, but this latest story was particularly grim.

I'm still quite interested in the various story arcs, in particular what's happening now with Nora and her daughter. I'm still having a hard time seeing her as Sissy in The Umbrella Academy - the hair color is really throwing me.

Regardless, I'm enjoying it way more than the last few years (?) of The Walking Dead, which was a pretty low bar to clear.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Cancelled. It was ok but IMO they made major mistakes in this adaptation.

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I stopped watching mid episode 3. I realized I was forcing myself to watch it and I'm trying to stop doing that with shows.
He won. Period.
malchior

Post by malchior »

The showrunner is using that Twitter thread to pump people to keep watching so it gets picked up somewhere else. I rate chances at dubious.

I gave it 4 episodes but it just wasn't working for me. I don't mind differences in adaptations but this just was too tonally different for me. In the end it wasn't bad but it was just average. And average isn't good enough for a niche show.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Huh. I guess I'm THE LAST MAN watching, but I still like it. But I guess if I was overwhelmed with shows right now I could see it getting pushed out. I'm also not strongly tied to the source material at this point, so there's that too.
Hamlet3145

Post by Hamlet3145 »

And . . . it's canceled: https://gizmodo.com/y-the-last-man-canc ... 1847881430

I gave up after about three episodes as I started to actively root for Yorick to die. In the comics he was an idiot too, but on the page it was much less grating. For those who liked the overall idea of the story and want to see what happens, I'd definitely recommend checking them out.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Did you also give up on this thread after about 3 posts? :)
He won. Period.
Hamlet3145

Post by Hamlet3145 »

hepcat wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:57 am Did you also give up on this thread after about 3 posts? :)
Yes. :lol:
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I didn't realize there were two more episodes (10 total), so I just watched them last night. I know I'm in the minority, but I enjoyed it overall. The last two seasons had the story coming to a head with various elements resolved and new things set up for what I presume would have been a second season. On the whole, I enjoyed this more than at least the last 4+ years of the Walking Dead, so that's something. I wish it was continuing, but I understand why it isn't.

I do think it was interesting to see how they changed the story (significantly, imho) with the recognition of how gender identity has changed since the comics were originally printed. I do think it changed the tone of the story, but it also makes more sense in the version that was filmed rather than written in a different era. I'm not really sure what it all means (bigger picture), but I do think the show would have seemed quite dated had they not added a recognition of the trans community.

Regardless, I doubt it will continue elsewhere but at least it finally was released.
Jag

Post by Jag »

I watched the entire thing. Started out slow, but finished good. Probably would not have cared if it was cancelled prior to the last 2 episodes, but shit finally happened, so I wouldn't mind seeing more of it now.

Also about the very end
Spoiler:
Hero not going with Yorrick was total BS especially if they think their mom was dead. Just doesn't make sense.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

After the first episode I kinda knew it would be cancelled. Quality wise it didn't grab the viewer from the beginning.
Daehawk wrote:Thats Drazzil's chair damnit.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

It's officially dead:
Friday afternoon, Clark confirmed on Twitter that despite her best efforts, the show won’t be going forward with another season. “It’s always incredibly difficult to move a show,” she wrote, “and in recent years, it’s only gotten harder...But sadly, it doesn’t look like it’s going to happen.”
I know it was not widely liked and I'm likely in the minority for watching it all and enjoying it, but I do think on the whole it was much better than people gave it credit for. Yes, it started out rough but unlike other shows (WoT, cough), it actually ended the season on a really strong note.