Computer problems Aug 2021

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Daehawk

Computer problems Aug 2021

Post by Daehawk »

I made a few posts this morning in RANDOM in the EBG area and Im going to copy paste them all here in one big post to catch up and any further posts will be here.

Got a real fright this morning. I kicked and turned and went to the kitchen until about 5am when I dozed off finally only to wake up less than an hour later to a almost dark room. I was so sleep zonked I wasn't sure what was wrong but my mind knew something was but couldn't put a finger on it for a few moments. Then I noticed how dark it was and saw my monitor was in standby mode and the screen was black. Uh oh.

When I finally got up I couldn't get it to work. Just would say display port not found. I wasn't sure if it was the monitor or the card. Either one would kill my pc use from now on. I wiggled the DP cord, changed cords..nothing. Stole my PS4s HDMI cable and after trying 2 other ports on the card I finally found the damn hdmi one. Figures it was the last one. Still nothing. This time hdmi not found. Oh joy.

Had to turn the pc off with the PSU button because I couldn't see how to do it with no monitor. Not like the old days when power or reset actually worked instead of windows asking you a dozens questions about if you're sure or not. Thank goodness it came back up on hdmi. Shit getting old at 10 years lol. Hope hdmi doesn't go out.
Spoke too soon. Went to the bathroom and it was off again and hdmi port no signal. Again I had to turn off the PSU and then back on to have the screen come back up. For shits I plugged the DP cable back in too and switched to it using just the monitor. It worked too.

So now I dont know wtf is going on. I also hear a 'budum' type sound every now and then. The type you hear when a app fails or something closes. But dont see anything.

So Im guessing this is yet another EVGA card dying. Its old as hell but been good. Im not sure what it is or how long Ill be able to be online from now on. Just in case it totally dies Ill see ya all in a few years maybe lol...kidding not kidding.

Edit: I think I still have my old gtx 270 as a backup.
And offagain. Im on my tablet now as my typing shows. Ill fiddle with it until im mad ten I have a shotgun. Ill start a thread for this in hardware later.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Daehawk

Re: Computer problems Aug 2021

Post by Daehawk »

Ok took me over an hour to get back in here. I could not get windows to load the desktop. It would load only the background image...no icons, no tray, no start menu. I could see my mouse onlyu. If I right clicked I could bring up the right click menu but nothing worked in it.

None of the tips I found worked so I ended up doing a full system restore from a day or two old back up. Seems good for right now. It will probably change and mess up the ports again.....Im worried my card is dying....or the monitor.

Backhawk.....per your suggestions I checked the card and it seems slotted well but reseated it anyways. Checked all connections. Found some dust and blew all that out.

As for hooking to my tv I cant as its across the room and this PC weighs like 50+ lbs even with the handle to carry it with lol. My back wont do it ...least not today and unless Im forced to.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ok new info. CPU temp seems fine at 33c .

The GPU is melting hot though at 63c....thats like 147f. I dont think a gtx 950 should be that hot. Im not sure if it was hot before or after I reseated it. Im not playing anything. Im in a AC cooled room with a fan blowing on me and the pc. Im thinking the HS may be lose and the paste dry....that or the fan...it seems weak and slow.

Ok NM...it says online thats the normal temp for the 950. So back to square one.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Daehawk wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 12:19 pm Ok new info. CPU temp seems fine at 33c .

The GPU is melting hot though at 63c....thats like 147f. I dont think a gtx 950 should be that hot. Im not sure if it was hot before or after I reseated it. Im not playing anything. Im in a AC cooled room with a fan blowing on me and the pc. Im thinking the HS may be lose and the paste dry....that or the fan...it seems weak and slow.

Ok NM...it says online thats the normal temp for the 950. So back to square one.
The 63c temp is definitely normal.

BTW, if you need to shut down your computer outside of "normal" means, push and hold the power button (can take up to 10 seconds, but it will power off). Don't turn it off from the PSU, that's a very good way to potentially corrupt your harddrive.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

The video troubleshooting flowchart and text available here walks you through the troubleshooting process:
fonerbooks.com wrote:The video troubleshooting flowchart and text below are from my book, "Computer Repair with Diagnostic Flowcharts, Third Edition." The updates related to video failure and performance (separate flowchart) involve HDMI, PCIe versions, 3D and dual adapter setups. Every diamond symbol on the flowchart is linked to text that explains what the abbreviated flowchart messages mean.

From the sounds of it, I suspect you're most likely going to need replace your video card. Which is obviously easier said than done nowadays, considering the ongoing GPU shortages, supply constraints, and ensuing costly prices…
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ya after viewing that chart it points to video card. I couldn't afford one if they were available and half the retail price. This 950 was a gift from a fellow OOr when my 770 melted. I think I have a 270 somewhere.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I have a video card mothballed somewhere. If you can give me some time, let me dig it out and see if it'll help. I don't think it'll be good for anything new, but you'd likely be able to at least keep your PC for web and classic gaming.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

So far this one has been holding up since I did all that earlier. I haven't tried playing anything at all. Just web browsing and YT videos. Wanted to be sure it was stable before pushing it a bit more.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I'm sorta skimming through your issues and it does sound like a fan or heatsink issue to me (though that flow chart posted is impressive).

I think years ago I had a video card fan that went. It would be fine until I tried playing a game. That was an easy fix. I'd try to get eyeballs on the video card fan and verify it's spinning under stress.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

ill toss some TF2 on here in a bit and keep a temp monitor running and also a view of the fan
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ohhhh thought I was royally screwed there. Right after I posted that last msg I fired up TF2 and 30 seconds into a match it just died. No signals on either port. For the last half hour I dug out my old gtx 260 it turns out...not 270......and its dvi only. I couldn't find my cord to save my life. I stuck the 950 back in and after some fiddling got it to come alive to come post this.

Dont think Ill be gaming. Also this is the only problem with having a lot of icons..having to re arrange them all on a fail.

EDIT: The fan is strong on it btw. Think its just old and near its time. I could pry the plate off the back to try my secondary pcie slot. And I have another old semi working monitor I could use to test but I dont know where it is. Buried in storage Im sure.

EDIT2: When it blackscreened in TF2 I could still hear the game running so the game didn't crash. Just video card.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Nevermind . It died again right after i posted that. I fired up a youtube video and blam!. Ontablet.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Sigh. If I dont do anything it wont fail. If I try to do anything it fails. I have only steam chat open and a heat monitor and GPU-Z. Its sitting at 63.2c for an hour no crash or fail.

Im scared to try a video even.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

im installing all windows updates for the heck of it.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

YouTube videos are working ok. May test a game again. Not sure.
Anonymous Bosch

If you're mainly focused upon web browsing and video-playback, does your motherboard provide any onboard video you could use instead?

Also, if you're not doing much in the way of gaming and just need a functional low-cost back-up system for web browsing and watching videos, consider looking into an affordable Chromebook as a means to get by.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

No it doesn't have or support onboard graphics. Its a P67 board.....ASUS P8P67 Deluxe.
Anonymous Bosch

BTW, keep in mind you can still purchase a new lower-end video card without necessarily breaking the bank. For example, you can buy a brand new 2GB GeForce GT 710 directly from Amazon for $60.45. Realistically, you obviously would not be able to use it for much in the way of gaming, but it certainly ought to be sufficient for web browsing and video-playback while waiting for GPU stock to eventually normalize.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I fired up SWTOR to test. As soon as I logged in I alt tabbed to look at the heat and it was ok...went back into the game but it never reloaded it....it just hung at the star wars screen and the music died. Could still move mouse. I ctrl-alt-del it and was able to shut it down without losing signal.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Anonymous Bosch wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 5:39 pm BTW, keep in mind you can still purchase a new lower-end video card without necessarily breaking the bank. For example, you can buy a brand new 2GB GeForce GT 710 directly from Amazon for $60.45. Realistically, you obviously would not be able to use it for much in the way of gaming, but it certainly ought to be sufficient for web browsing and video-playback while waiting for GPU stock to eventually normalize.
I have $7 in the bank until next month hehe. At the end of the week Ill check with my sister in the next town over. Her fiance passed away 6 months before my wife died and he may have had something I can take apart and get a video card from.

Ill just try to baby this thing until then and not game and hope it is the video card and nothing else.

EDIT: If I could find my stupid DVI cable I could probably game some on my GTX 260.
Anonymous Bosch

Daehawk wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 6:05 pm EDIT: If I could find my stupid DVI cable I could probably game some on my GTX 260.
FWIW, you can buy a replacement DVI cable from Monoprice for $6.49.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

My card shut down 2 more times just sitting here. I wasn't even at the PC. I dug through my storage. Hurt my back and cut my thumb open but found my dvi cable. Its actually a Monoprice one..DVI-i. I installed my GTX 260 with 896 MEGS of vram from 2008. Took over an hour to make the damn driver install. Maybe I can play TF2 or SWTOR.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Dae, if I had a spare video card I would send it to you tomorrow. Unfortunately, I don't have any left.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

No worries. My pc looks like a cyberpunk machine with the side off and wires hanging all over and cables run everywhere :)

I wonder if anyone has upgraded recently and wants to ditch their old 10 series or something? Maybe next month. You know how it is .

I went through my stash...the 770 and 550? were toast but the trusty old 260 is still motoring.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

TF2 plays ok. It came out the same year as the card..2008. SWTOR is kinda rough and choppy / laggy.

I installed Lost Planet and will try it as I think its a 2008 game. I need to find a list of 2008 games and see what I have. Those may run ok.