[HBO] Doom Patrol

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

hepcat

Re: [HBO] Doom Patrol

Post by hepcat »

I forgot completely about that. Animal-Vegetable-Mineral Man is a friggin' riot. :lol:

Although this was even funnier

Spoiler:
The dinosaur head is apparently sentient, called Denise and wrote an autobiography called "My Side".
He won. Period.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

As someone that just finished the Harley Quinn series, seeing the "Hell yeah" quote on the billboard from Kite Man is EPIC.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I could watch Bane get bullied for hours. That he laments this in the same voice used in Nolan's The Dark Knight Rises only adds fuel to the (laughter) fire.
Spoiler:
He won. Period.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Yes, the entire episode where he was denied a literal fancy chair was hilarious. As good as the Marvel shows are and as much as I've enjoyed them, I honestly think I've enjoyed Harley Quinn and Doom Patrol more. Didn't think that was going to happen, but here we are.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Just finished S2 last night, so I'm almost current! Looks like there's two more weeks of episodes for this season, so I can likely finish it all up as the last week is airing.

S2 was even more bonkers in some ways that S1 (which is saying quite a bit). Sex Patrol?? WTF???
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Smoove_B wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 11:17 am Sex Patrol?? WTF???
:lol: It was fun watching that with the kids.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I enjoyed the first three episodes much more than I expected to. I don't care for superhero stories, but Alan Tudyk + all the love on OO convinced me to give it a whirl. I actually decided that Wife, who has no use whatsoever for Marvel movies, might enjoy it, too, and she's hooked. She's still an episode behind me. When she catches up, we'll start watching together.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

It really isn't a superhero show in the way that we've gotten used to. It's a unique story set in a Superhero universe.

If you enjoy this, check out Umbrella Academy.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Yeah, it's almost like a backwards version of what Marvel tried doing in the 1970s - giving all their superheroes powerful backstories and character flaws, making them more human. Here, the stories of the characters on Doom Patrol seem to be the most important thing - what happened to them, why are they the way they are, etc... and their powers are secondary.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Season 2 was sadly abbreviated due to Covid, so I think some of the story was clipped. It ends kind of abruptly, in my opinion. While I absolutely love the Sex Men, the biggest laugh I had in season 2 was
Spoiler:
Cliff's childhood imaginary friend being revealed as Jesus Christ...then being forced to fight against ass kicking "Bro Jesus" in the present day.

:lol:
Season 3 didn't click with me right away, but now I'm thinking it may have one of the stronger stories. It follows the usual recipe of alienation, building a family out of what you have, and other Doom Patrol favorites; but it's done much better than usual...mainly because the focus is more on Rita this season. She's knocking it out of the park.

Also, the occasional sightings of brain and monsieur mallah are fun.
He won. Period.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Yes, I didn't want to add that thing you spoiled, but it was absolutely one of my favorite parts of S2.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Smoove_B wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 11:49 am Yeah, it's almost like a backwards version of what Marvel tried doing in the 1970s - giving all their superheroes powerful backstories and character flaws, making them more human. Here, the stories of the characters on Doom Patrol seem to be the most important thing - what happened to them, why are they the way they are, etc... and their powers are secondary.
I think that's what appeals to me. Plus they don't pause the story to stage a fight every 15 minutes.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Brain and Monsieur Mallah are hilarious. That is all.

Well..maybe not all
Spoiler:
Episode 8 of season 3 actually made me like Cyborg. Scenes of him as a child trying to find a black action figure in a toy store was pretty powerful.
He won. Period.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

...and done! Somehow managed to time finishing episode 9 the other night with the release of episode 10. S3 felt very different than S1 and S2 - it felt much darker (and S2 was already kinda dark). It wasn't bad, but the pacing was definitely different. I don't want to spoil anything, but based on the events of S2, the dynamics changed - I think that was a big part of it.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing them fight a giant testicle monster in S4, so there's that.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

The Brotherhood of Evil in retirement still ranks up there with my favorite moments.
Spoiler:
Brain's throwaway line in episode 9 wondering why the hell he gave Garguax a death ray made me laugh out loud. As did "baby Madame Rouge" and the ensuing brawl.

Season 3 has been more layered, if that makes any sense. It was darker, true. But I think it was because we went further into the individual characters and their doubts and fears. The pacing felt fine to me in light of that.

Rita was the stand out this season. She knocked it out of the park while discovering her humanity again. She's not a monster and her temporary amnesia allowed her to forget that she believed that for a while.

Jane's struggle with trying to keep Kay safe while yet helping her to grow beyond her need for her and the others in the Underground was a great side story. Jane needs to essentially kill herself to help Kay and Diane Guerrero is doing an outstanding job showing that struggle.
I'm watching the season finale this weekend, so I can't comment on the conclusion of things. But I'm looking forward to it.

I really want an Odd Couple style sitcom with Brain and Monsieur Mallah now.
He won. Period.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

If the BoE element was your favorite part, I think you're really going to enjoy the finale then. :D

Yes, the "darkness" was the much more introspective nature of the season - really digging down into the characters and their fuct up stories. I still really enjoy all the characters and actors. I'm still not entirely clear on what Cyborg is doing there (other than a direct tie to current DC universe) but thematically he certainly fits with the rest of them.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

In episode 9, Monsieur Mallah trying to ignore everyone by turning on the food processor whenever they spoke was hilarious.

And lest we forget, the always great Michelle Gomez is a goddamn treasure. I love her throwaway lines and exasperated asides. I really hope the season finale leaves things open for her return.

And Cyborg still feels out of place, but the writers have done a great job of folding him into the stories in an organic fashion.
He won. Period.
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

hepcat wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 12:58 pm

And Cyborg still feels out of place, but the writers have done a great job of folding him into the stories in an organic fashion.
I see what you did there.
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
JCC

Post by JCC »

DP S3 finishing up now was preciptious for me as I am between shows. Just watched the first episode. I loved Michelle Gomez's appearance. It tickles me that she just keeps playing different versions of Missy now - and I NEVER get tired of it!
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

She can crack me up with a raise of an eyebrow. God, I love that dame. :wub:
He won. Period.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Yes, I thought she was a great addition to the cast for this season. I'd love to know how they cast her in that part because she really works quite well with the actress that plays Rita.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Finally got around to watching the season finale. That was one of the more satisfying season endings I’ve seen. It felt like they’d actually grown. Not the shallow growth that most shows try to pass off as such, but actual realizations about who they were.

Plus, it ended with John Lydon and Afrika Bambaataa. You can’t go wrong with that.

It also had more than a few laugh out loud moments.

“Hey, remember when we thought you were an ottoman” was probably my favorite.

I really hope they get a season 4.

Edit: whoops, late to the party as it appears season 4 has already been approved and announced.

Also, for a great look into just how weird it can get, here's an article on some of the even more eccentric characters we could see in future episodes that come straight from Morrison's run....which the makers of the show have already shown they use almost exclusively.
He won. Period.
JCC

Post by JCC »

I've watched about 5 eps from the third season. I really, REALLY disliked the Zombie episode. I mean it was horrible. Though, that is sort of what Doom Patrol is (for me). Mostly great and at times brilliant, but sometimes there is a turd along the way.

On the plus side, Michelle Gomez is (predictably) stealing every scene she is in. When Jane called her Doctor Who I laughed with delighted glee.

So is Timothy Dalton really gone for good?!
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

The zombie episode was goofy….but it made sense after I thought about it. What they did with Niles, what Niles did for them, was the whole point of the episode. They wrapped it all up in a literal tribute to the dead to boot.
He won. Period.
JCC

Post by JCC »

Wshew... Finished season 3 tonight in a mini-marathon. I definitely struggle with this show at times. I was getting dangerously near apathy with this season, but it rallied back - like it always does. Pretty surprised they didn't undo what happened to Cyborg at the end. Not sure what purpose he serves now - but I guess we'll find out next season. I can't get over how much bigger he is compared to when he was Rigsy in Doctor Who. He is a workout beast!
Black Lives Matter

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Smoove_B wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 3:40 pm As good as the Marvel shows are and as much as I've enjoyed them, I honestly think I've enjoyed Harley Quinn and Doom Patrol more. Didn't think that was going to happen, but here we are.
Have you dove into Young Justice yet? I don’t want to be an enabler, but it’s absolutely worth your time.
He won. Period.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

No, I haven't. I think I saw that there were 83 episodes and couldn't commit to that amount of time. However, once I make it through my next wave of TV shows in the backlog + stuff coming out over the next few weeks, I think it will make for an excellent winter project. That's also how I blasted through the entirety of Always Sunny -- I'm pretty sure that helped keep me tethered during the darkest days of this last winter.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I'm halfway thru S2 and still enjoying Doom Patrol despite a couple of clunker episodes. "Sex Patrol" was the worst one so far, and I'm not liking the Dorothy character or the Cliff's daughter story arc. I hope Alan Tudyk comes back. S2 seems kind of random without him narrating.

No spoilers, please.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Kraken wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 10:44 pm I'm halfway thru S2 and still enjoying Doom Patrol despite a couple of clunker episodes. "Sex Patrol" was the worst one so far,
Why do you hate fun?
Smoove_B wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 10:44 pm No, I haven't. I think I saw that there were 83 episodes and couldn't commit to that amount of time.
Understandable. But I will say it's one of the best animated superhero TV shows out there (non comedy, that is).

This latest season started off okay. Not great, but still good. However, they're covering different groups of characters in 4 episode arcs that I assume will all lead to one finale that reveals there is a connection. The latest arc is covering Zatanna and magic and it is great. Dr. Fate, The Stranger...just a ton of fantastic characters in a surprisingly dark story.
He won. Period.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

I finally got around to catching up through the end of season 3. It's been a trip! I thought it ended on a good note to wrap up the show, but the intertubes say that it was renewed for a 4th season. I'm looking forward to seeing where they take it from here.

I never read the comics, so I was pleasantly surprised to discover that there is a free sample available through Amazon Prime Reading -- Doom Patrol (1987-1995) Vol 1: Crawling From the Wreckage.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Excellent, and they’re Grant Morrison’s run too. The source for the show.
He won. Period.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

This article suggests S4 will be coming pretty soon, which would be awesome:
After receiving news of renewal last October, no information about the show's next season came out for almost a year. However, that drought finally ended when Jovian Wade announced that season four had wrapped filming on August 11th. More official confirmation came through a brief clip of Dorothy on the moon that was included in a new HBO Max sizzle reel, with the words "New Season" superimposed over the footage. Soon after that, the casting announcement of Madeline Zima as Casey Brinke from the official Doom Patrol Twitter account also mentioned that the show would be premiering this December.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Excellent!
He won. Period.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Not sure how I missed this from a few weeks ago...

JCC

Post by JCC »

Looks fun! I am sure it will be the usual mix of awesome with sprinklings of stupid. (A combo I mostly enjoy!)
Black Lives Matter

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

It’s like they read OO and saw that some folks hated the butts….and decided to double down to spite them. :lol: Love it.

So we have a Cyclops character….who shoots from his crotch, not his eyes, Michelle Gomez (thank god, I was hoping she wasn’t a one shot), singing and dancing butt monsters….did I miss anything?

Yeah, I’m happy. :wub:
He won. Period.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I’m calling it now. The crotch laser guy is going to be this season’s break out character.

So happy Gomez is a regular now. And I’m also happy to see Dorothy again. Looks like the Danny-zens are back too…which hopefully means Danny as well.

I also like that they’re tackling the question of just why they’ve not aged in decades.
He won. Period.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Season 4 has started on HBO Max. Saving it for tomorrow night though. Looking forward to some much needed insanity.

Edit: yup, crotch cannon did not disappoint. It was ridiculously childish….which they delighted in pointing out repeatedly. The show is back and it’s still great…and weird. Very weird.

Side note: first episode’s cliff t shirt was Siouxsie and the Banshees.
He won. Period.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

And the second half of season 2 is set to debut on October 12th. Time to say goodbye to one of the best superhero tv shows ever made. It goes into the archive with Legion, Preacher and other amazing shows that were too good to last.
He won. Period.