naednek

Need some quick advice on these two computers

Post by naednek »

A neighbor is selling this
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07XV7YRSL/re ... UTF8&psc=1

for $700.

But I found this
https://www.amazon.com/HP-Pavilion-i3-1 ... or $680ish

This has a better video card, but the CPU isn't as good as the above.

For 1080p gaming, which should I be focusing on the better cpu or the better gpu?
Last edited by naednek on Sat Aug 21, 2021 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Daehawk

Re: Need some quick advice on these two computers

Post by Daehawk »

Nothing showing. You need to use the URL tag button (looks like a double chain link) button then paste your urls between the tags for them to show.

For pics its the bigimg button for image urls

Personally...and I can say this since I cant afford a PC anyways :)...Id not pay for a pc to game on unless the video card had 8 gigs of vram. But those prices make it pretty nice.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

The CPUs are comparable enough where I think you are better off picking the GPU. My understanding is Intel-i3 10th gen can handle 1080p gaming just fine, so you may be getting a bigger bang for the buck if you pick the GTX 1650 Super (since it's a considerable upgrade over GTX 1650).

You'll definitely need more memory than 8GB, but a stick of memory is easy enough to add. And more hard drive space...256GB is laughable, considering the size of some of the recent games.
naednek

Post by naednek »

gilraen wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 10:41 pm The CPUs are comparable enough where I think you are better off picking the GPU. My understanding is Intel-i3 10th gen can handle 1080p gaming just fine, so you may be getting a bigger bang for the buck if you pick the GTX 1650 Super (since it's a considerable upgrade over GTX 1650).

You'll definitely need more memory than 8GB, but a stick of memory is easy enough to add. And more hard drive space...256GB is laughable, considering the size of some of the recent games.
That's what I was leaning to. The negative on that is I would have to pay tax on that and not on the first one (a neighbor is selling hers for $700.

I have a backup hard drive so I'm not concerned. Ram I will probably add later as this is already over budget.

The plan is to give my son's pc to my daughter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Just keep in mind the 1650 super is a better card . Its a totally different gpu with more cuda cores, faster core and mem speed, and GDDR6 instead of GDDR5 memory.and such. Usually a super simply indicated a company overclock only but not in this case.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing ... -gtx-1650/
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

gilraen wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 10:41 pm The CPUs are comparable enough where I think you are better off picking the GPU. My understanding is Intel-i3 10th gen can handle 1080p gaming just fine, so you may be getting a bigger bang for the buck if you pick the GTX 1650 Super (since it's a considerable upgrade over GTX 1650).

This is the answer I'd go with, too. The CPUs are near identical when it comes to gaming performance (and it isn't that far from what I'm using in the CPU department.) It'll do 1080 gaming with most titles on moderate settings, although the latest-and-greatest may not run adequately (the video card is the bottleneck here, followed by the RAM.) With extra RAM and an eventual video card upgrade, it'll keep going for a few years, though.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
naednek

Post by naednek »

thanks all. I'm going to pass on the neighborhood listing (1st option) and get the 2nd option closer to xmas. I was thinking the GPU would be a better difference but wanted to be sure.