[Netflix] Cowboy Bebop

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Isgrimnur

[Netflix] Cowboy Bebop

Post by Isgrimnur »

https://bloody-disgusting.com/tv/367952 ... -revealed/
The streaming service announced this morning that “Cowboy Bebop” will be premiering on November 19, 2021!
Enlarge Image
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Jaymann

Re: [Netflix] Cowboy Bebop

Post by Jaymann »

Live Action? Where does J. K. Simmons fit in?
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

CALLBACK!
He won. Period.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I remember watching the anime of this maybe 20 years ago, and I remember it being awesome, so I'm excited about this. Even though I remember almost nothing about it other than that it's awesome, and I believe they fly around in space as a band of mostly well-meaning n'er do wells, in a vaguely Firefly-ish manner.
Black Lives Matter.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I rewatched the anime recently, and it still holds up remarkably well. Just a fantastic show that oozes style, attitude, and amazing music.

I’m tentatively excited about this live action reboot. I like the idea of it, but haven’t been crazy about the casting choices. Hopefully they can pull it off.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I'm having a REALLY hard time with who the cast as Spike. He's a good actor and all, but Spike is an aloof super cool character. The White Castle dude is going to have to do something special for me to buy that from him. :? I will watch it, but I'm thinking it could be an epic fail.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

John Cho is an amazing actor. I think they chose wisely. If anyone can pull it off, he can.
He won. Period.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

He's a good actor yes. Does he fit as Spike? I'm very skeptical, but I'd love to be wrong.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

El Guapo wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 12:12 pm I remember watching the anime of this maybe 20 years ago, and I remember it being awesome, so I'm excited about this. Even though I remember almost nothing about it other than that it's awesome, and I believe they fly around in space as a band of mostly well-meaning n'er do wells, in a vaguely Firefly-ish manner.
Same.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Problem with Cho is that he’s simply too old. Unless they’re doing a storyline set waaaaaay after the series, he doesn’t fit at all. Spike is 27 in the anime, Cho is 49 years old. That seems problematic.

I will say that all the screenshots from that article absolutely nailed the aesthetic. I can’t wait to see them in motion, but they certainly seem to be headed in the right direction.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Skinypupy wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 1:53 pm Spike is 27 in the anime, Cho is 49 years old.
I bet they aged him a bit like they did for Game of Thrones, so they can do all the spicey sex scenes.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Archinerd wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 1:49 pm
El Guapo wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 12:12 pm I remember watching the anime of this maybe 20 years ago, and I remember it being awesome, so I'm excited about this. Even though I remember almost nothing about it other than that it's awesome, and I believe they fly around in space as a band of mostly well-meaning n'er do wells, in a vaguely Firefly-ish manner.
Same.
Ditto. I mostly remember the corgi -- Ein, was it?
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Skinypupy wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 1:53 pm Problem with Cho is that he’s simply too old. Unless they’re doing a storyline set waaaaaay after the series, he doesn’t fit at all. Spike is 27 in the anime, Cho is 49 years old. That seems problematic.

I will say that all the screenshots from that article absolutely nailed the aesthetic. I can’t wait to see them in motion, but they certainly seem to be headed in the right direction.
Vicious is the villain, and one of the screenshots that came out looks to be based off the church scene from early on in the anime series, so they're not setting this after the anime series.
Hodor.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

pr0ner wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 3:05 pm
Skinypupy wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 1:53 pm Problem with Cho is that he’s simply too old. Unless they’re doing a storyline set waaaaaay after the series, he doesn’t fit at all. Spike is 27 in the anime, Cho is 49 years old. That seems problematic.

Vicious is the villain, and one of the screenshots that came out looks to be based off the church scene from early on in the anime series, so they're not setting this after the anime series.
I could hear the music in that shot. :)
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Jaymann wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 11:56 am Live Action? Where does J. K. Simmons fit in?
He was just on TV praising Miguel Cabrera's 500th home run last night. I'm surprised no one asked him about this. Perhaps he's just too busy making insurance commercials to make an appearance.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Christ, I had no idea Cho was 49! :shock:

Which means I truly believe he’ll be fine playing someone in their early 30s or so. I mean, Tom Cruise is like 74 and he’s still playing high school kids in movies. Of course, he’s also 2 foot 9 and played 6 foot 5 Jack Reacher in two movies.

And Mark Wahlberg is actually made entirely of popsicle sticks and dried leaves and still gets to play real humans from time to time…

…not well, obviously.
He won. Period.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Vulture
Some fans thought Spike, who is 27 in the anime, should have been played by someone younger. Were you concerned about that?

The biggest fear that I had was I was too old. I knew people were gonna have issues with my age. And I had to get over it. I’m not a person who says age is just a number or whatever. It was gonna be harder — physically. And I was gonna look different than a 25-year-old guy. At some point, the opportunity is “Yes or no — do you wanna do it?” And I did wanna do it. So I wasn’t gonna stop myself from doing it.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

hepcat wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 7:21 pm Christ, I had no idea Cho was 49! :shock:

Which means I truly believe he’ll be fine playing someone in their early 30s or so. I mean, Tom Cruise is like 74 and he’s still playing high school kids in movies. Of course, he’s also 2 foot 9 and played 6 foot 5 Jack Reacher in two movies.

And Mark Wahlberg is actually made entirely of popsicle sticks and dried leaves and still gets to play real humans from time to time…

…not well, obviously.
He's probably only 32 in Hollywood years.
Black Lives Matter.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Here’s the intro.

I didn’t hate it, which was more than I expected. A bit more sold on Cho, a bit less sold on Pineda (Faye). Those martial arts moves looked really awkward. Cool to see some of the villains making an appearance (Pierrot Le Fou, Teddy Bomber, etc.), which seems to indicate this is closer to a 1:1 remake. Still no Ed though…. :?

Cautiously optimistic.

Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Ed shows up pretty late into the first season of the animated version iirc. Maybe they are saving Ed for Season 2?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

^ Episode 9 of 26
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

If this is really just a live remake of the original series episode for episode then they better have the fridge episode.

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

A side-by-side comparison of the original and live action intros.

Ed is in the original intro (well, her hands anyways at 1:07) and she's on the final character slate...noticeably left out of the remake version. Can't imagine a Bebop without Ed.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Skinypupy wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:12 pm Can't imagine a Bebop without Ed.
I see three likely posibilities;
1) Ed is in it, but they are just holding their hand close to their chest
2) Ed is in it, but doesn't show up until 2nd season
3) The showrunners are shitting their pants as they realize even casual fans noticed
Last edited by Archinerd on Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Well it looks like season 1 is only 10 episodes so it's certainly possible Ed doesn't show up until the end or next season. Assuming there is a next season of course. :P I so don't want it to fall on it's face, but man I'm having a hard timing believing they will be able to pull this off. The track record for these kinds of reboots has not been good. They got the intro right so that's a good start.

hentzau

Post by hentzau »

I just recently started watching Cowboy Bebop and as such I just found out that the Archer credits are an homage.

That’s really all I have to contribute to this conversation.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Hodor.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

FYI, that's a custom made teaser and doesn't actually include any footage from the show itself - that trailer comes out next week.
Hodor.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

hentzau wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:12 pm I just recently started watching Cowboy Bebop and as such I just found out that the Archer credits are an homage.

That’s really all I have to contribute to this conversation.
That's cool, I didn't realize that. But now that you mention it, it makes perfect sense.
He won. Period.
malchior

Post by malchior »

André Nemec's team is really setting a high bar for itself in these trailers. They are wildly inventive visually. It is hard to think of a more creative use of the 4th wall/comic frame in a live action anime or comic title. And that's a trailer. It is really impressive so far.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

pr0ner wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:25 am
OK...that was awesome.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Ok they are starting to win me over. That's soooo well done. :mrgreen:

Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Ed or not, I'm in.
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

That was super clever.
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Full trailer.

Looks pretty awesome, tbh. From the previews, I’ve become much more sold on Cho as Spike (which was my initial sticking point) and much less sold on Pineda as Faye (who seemed like a good fit).

Really looking forward to this
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

OH YES.
Hodor.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Yup, I’m definitely in. This may give me a Firefly fix.
He won. Period.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Looks great. Anyone know if netflix is going to dribble out one a week or drop the whole season?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Have they ever released things other than all at once? :?
He won. Period.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

hepcat wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:34 pm Have they ever released things other than all at once? :?
Yes.
...but, not often.
Great British Baking Show is the only one I can think of off the top of my head. Surely there are others.