Marvel's Midnight Suns [Firaxis]

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Max Peck

Marvel's Midnight Suns [Firaxis]

Post by Max Peck »

The player character is a new hero designed by Firaxis and Marvel, with a supporting cast of established Marvel characters.
Last edited by Max Peck on Wed Aug 25, 2021 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
NickAragua

Re: Marvel's Midnight Suns [Firaxis]

Post by NickAragua »

No X-Com no sale.

But seriously, that's a nice movie trailer, but what about gameplay? I assume since it's Firaxis, it's some kind of turn-based squad thing.
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

March 2022.

Like Nick I need to see gameplay before I am in.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

That trailer music is just...ugh.

I'm intrigued. Want to see more.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I hate cinematic game trailers. It's like a movie trailer that's only audio. Or a radio ad that's unspoken text. Or a restaurant menu that only lists nutritional data. Or an IKEA assembly manual that pops out a robotic hand that just slaps you repeatedly.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I heard gameplay reveal coming 9/1. Not sure where they got that, but I'll be looking.

Also 100% with Smoove on the music, that may have been the worst cover I have ever heard.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

There is a gameplay premiere scheduled for 1 Sept 2022. They didn't get into that today, but there was a short interview following the cinematic trailer.

I'll replace this Twitch link if the segment shows up on Youtube later:

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

The costumes look cool though. Tangentially they remind me of these, which are also awesome:

Enlarge Image

Enlarge Image

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

https://www.polygon.com/22641096/marvel ... escom-2021
“There are zero mechanics shared between XCOM and the Midnight Suns,” Solomon said.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Damn it, this better not be a Huniepop clone....

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Players will embark on turn-based missions with three other superheroes. They and their compatriots’ skills will level up and improve over time. How those skills are advanced is perhaps the biggest departure from the XCOM franchise. In between missions, players will have free rein to explore The Abbey, an all-new headquarters area designed in partnership with Marvel Comics, and its grounds. Solomon said players will explore it in third person, using their time to develop relationships with the other superheroes.

“Robbie Reyes, the new Ghost Rider — he may want to play video games. Captain Marvel may want to go spar with you. Tony Stark may want to go play cards,” Solomon said. “You choose how to hang out with them, choose how you talk with them, give them gifts. There are [also] social clubs around The Abbey that you can join, and that affects your friendships with heroes. [...] Some of these are pretty lighthearted [since] the story is dark enough.”
Hey, Hunter! Let's go bowling!
It's almost as if people are the problem.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Read the article I posted, but it's still turned based tactics with a 4 person team with skills growing over time. The dynamics are just very different from xcom so it doesn't play out in the same way.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

I really didn't get who was being awakened, and who is the villain from that.

Edit: nm, the link cleared that up.
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Freyland wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 3:20 pm I really didn't get who was being awakened, and who is the villain from that.
The player character ("The Hunter") is being woken. The villain is your mom -- Lilith, Mother of Demons (which presumably tells us something about The Hunter's origin story).

LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

coopasonic wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 2:53 pm https://www.polygon.com/22641096/marvel ... escom-2021
“There are zero mechanics shared between XCOM and the Midnight Suns,” Solomon said.
So you're saying it's a new Alpha Centuri?
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

It's described as sort of a TB Mass Effect.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Grifman wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 5:55 pm It's described as sort of a TB Mass Effect.
So like...XCOM?

I'm so confused.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Well, XCOM without the strategic layer, base building, R&D or personnel management.

Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Smoove_B wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 6:13 pm
Grifman wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 5:55 pm It's described as sort of a TB Mass Effect.
So like...XCOM?

I'm so confused.
Why would you say XCom when I just described it as a cross between XCom and Mass Effect? :) The combat will be TB but you will have a base of operations where you go back, hang out with your team, talk to them, etc. Like the Normandy in Mass Effect. This of an XCom/ME mashup.
Last edited by Grifman on Wed Aug 25, 2021 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Surprised no one has posted the IGN interview with Jake Solomon, lots of good info here:

https://www.ign.com/videos/marvel-midni ... by-firaxis

An interesting take away is that we haven’t seen all of the heroes in the trailer. Jake says that 12 heroes will be available, but there are only 10 (including the “Hunter”) in the trailer so there will be 2 to 3 more available to play.

This should clear up some stuff about the game but I'm certain the game play trailer next week will tell us a lot more.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Grifman wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 7:02 pm Why would you say XCom when I just described it as a cross between XCom and Mass Effect? :)
Because of the earlier quote provided by our resident XCOM expert:
I'm doing a whole "Who's on First" routine here. :D
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

At least this isn't an EGS exclusive.

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Yet.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

I'm pretty confident that Marvel doesn't need Epic's money.

Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

Max Peck wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 2:24 pm

The player character is a new hero designed by Firaxis and Marvel, with a supporting cast of established Marvel characters.
Who is the person in the coffin that they resurrected?

Tried to google for it but can't find a group of superheroes called Midnight Suns. Found Midnight Sons which is about Dr. Strange and his team of heroes against Lilith. Are they the same? They changed Sons to Suns to be more PC? :)

There is a Midnight Sun which is a villain and Shang Chi's adopted brother.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Victoria Raverna wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 9:53 pm Who is the person in the coffin that they resurrected?
She's a totally new superhero developed by Firaxis working with Marvel who will be your avatar/character. They wanted a hero with sort of a blank slate that you could develop how you wished. She's an expert on the evil they are fighting and sort of becomes the de facto leader of the group.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Victoria Raverna wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 9:53 pm Found Midnight Sons which is about Dr. Strange and his team of heroes against Lilith. Are they the same?
Yes. Jake Solomon (design lead for the game) explicitly stated that Midnight Sons is one of his favorite Marvel story arcs. I'm not sure whether the name change to Midnight Suns is intended to be "PC" or simply to reflect that the team is no longer an all-boys club.

The blurb for the game on Steam sets up the story:
After centuries of sleep, Lilith, Mother of Demons, has been revived by Hydra through a twist of dark magic and science. Lilith stops at nothing to complete an ancient prophecy and bring back her evil master, Chthon. Pushed to the brink, the Avengers desperately look to fight fire with hellfire and enlist the help of the Midnight Suns - Nico Minoru, Blade, Magik and Ghost Rider - young heroes with powers deeply rooted in the supernatural, formed to prevent the very prophecy Lilith aims to fulfill. Together, they resurrect an ancient warrior - the Hunter, Lilith’s forsaken child and the only hero known to have ever defeated her. In the face of fallen allies and the fate of the world at stake, it will be up to you to rise up against the darkness!

Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Grifman wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 7:03 pm An interesting take away is that we haven’t seen all of the heroes in the trailer. Jake says that 12 heroes will be available, but there are only 10 (including the “Hunter”) in the trailer so there will be 2 to 3 more available to play.
I believe he said that there would be that many at launch, which implies that we can expect to see more added down the road.

rittchard

Post by rittchard »

I'm embarrassed as a Marvel fan that I couldn't figure out who the main chick in the middle with two swords on her back is. EDIT: oh I guess the main character is you lol.

The ones I recognized for sure were: Ghost Rider, Dr Strange, Wolvy, Magik, Iron Man, Blade, Cap, Captain Marvel... looks like a pretty cool ensemble.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Just needs Gambit and I can pre-order with ease. :D
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Friaxis, TBS and Marvel is a sure buy for me. Have a bad feeling I won't be able to run it on my machine though. Really need to upgrade but no free $$$
Formix

Post by Formix »

Paste Pot Pete reference in 3 . . .2 . . , oh, wait.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Do you want hepcats? Because that's how you get hepcats.

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Laugh all you want. Triple P will get his own Triple A game.
Covfefe!
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Unfortunately (IMO), it looks like the game is going to use a card mechanic for powers per a preview in Game Informer:

Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

The gameplay premiere is today, so we should know for sure how it plays in a few hours (11:30am PT/2:30pm ET/18:30 GMT).

Sudy

Post by Sudy »

As long as packs aren't monetized, I don't have a problem with this. I presume the primary concern about a card mechanic is randomness? (Outside of personal preference.) You'd get the randomness somewhere, whether it was visible or not. But I guess randomness with a card-based mechanic can potentially be worse if it's not designed well, especially before your "desk" is optimized. But well designed difficulty should account for that.

Could be fun. Firaxis has continued to be pretty reliable, haven't they? But we'll see.

Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Sudy wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 9:47 am As long as packs aren't monetized, I don't have a problem with this. I presume the primary concern about a card mechanic is randomness? (Outside of personal preference.) You'd get the randomness somewhere, whether it was visible or not. But I guess randomness with a card-based mechanic can potentially be worse if it's not designed well, especially before your "desk" is optimized. But well designed difficulty should account for that.

Could be fun. Firaxis has continued to be pretty reliable, haven't they? But we'll see.
I just find card battlers to be contrived and "unrealistic" (yes, I know, it's a game but still). Does Ironman have to draw a card in real life before he can use his repulsor beams? Does Cap have to draw a card before he uses his shield throw? No, that's just silly, they use their abilities when the tactical situation requires it.

Iron Man: "I need to use by chest ray, oops, don't have the card for it. Hey, Cap, could use a shield throw about now."
Captain America: "One shield throw coming right - oops, sorry, I don't have the card for that either."

You get the idea :doh:
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I do. I guess I've just come to accept the convention. Buttons and APs aren't "realistic" either. This doesn't have to be Marvel: The Simulation. We can have Marvel: Street Fighter Clone, or Marvel: Puzzle Quest, or whatever.

malchior

Post by malchior »

Smoove_B wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 2:32 pm That trailer music is just...ugh.
Exactly my reaction. When your advertising budget only allows for the crappy cover...move on.
Max Peck wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 9:02 am The gameplay premiere is today, so we should know for sure how it plays in a few hours (11:30am PT/2:30pm ET/18:30 GMT).
I'll probably check it out. I'm skeptical but curious.