If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Newcastle

Re: Marvel's Midnight Suns [Firaxis]

Post by Newcastle »

coopasonic wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 2:45 pm
Newcastle wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 1:58 pm Question for Coop
Spoiler:
I just started part 3, and met hulk in combat for the first time. How many story missions would you guess are there until the end?
Honestly, not sure of the answer. I can't really remember. I googled for a list of story missions and there isn't a good one that I could find. I can't say much more without spoiling stuff I am not sure you have seen yet.

Best guess, not many, like around 4.
Oh, cool so I am pretty close to the end then. No need to spoiler, was just curious about an approximation.
Bayraktar!!!!

Trump and the GOP; putting the banana in our Republic.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

The game is on sale on GMG for 42% off, and Steam, 33% off. Just added at the end of the Winter Sale.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
RMC

Post by RMC »

I like the game, but after the first patch, it got very unstable for me, never had a crash and then after the patch it crashed two or three times. Waiting for a few more patches.
Difficulties mastered are opportunities won. - Winston Churchill
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Been enjoying this on the xBox, tho the daily running around the Abbey routines are getting a bit old and I'd rather be able to do more missions in a day before having to run around the Abbey again.

I did run into one bug where if a Hero gets the friendship level up and invite you, you get stuck in the video with no way out.

Fix is to do a manual save and then load that save to get out.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

Still need to disable 2K launcher to improve performance?
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

I finished the final mission of Midnight Suns last night. Overall, I really liked the game -- not amazing, but very satisfying. The combination of tactical battles, Abbey exploration, and superhero playdates hits a lot of my sweet spots.

The final battle itself is really well-done, putting a several twists on the usual mission structure (nothing shocking, but they're interesting enough that I don't want to spoil it here).

It's not a game that I see myself coming back to, though. The long-term appeal is in the tactical combat, which is cleverly designed but not the kind of thing that I generally immerse myself in.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I guess the Deadpool DLC is supposed to be out now. I think I have access to it, but not sure how interested I am to go back to check it out.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

coopasonic wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 1:13 pm I guess the Deadpool DLC is supposed to be out now. I think I have access to it, but not sure how interested I am to go back to check it out.
I've heard it's very short. Like 3 missions
But if you got it with the Season Pass, I'd probably give it a whirl.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
RMC

Post by RMC »

I am waiting for all the DLC before I go back to it. I stopped playing after the first patch made the game unstable for me. I loved the game play, hated the stupid Abby running around to get items to advance the "clubs", and wish that they had allowed me to build gardens or something to raise the plants I needed. Or just buy the stupid things.

I did like the story bits with the hero's, and the base upgrading aspects. Just hated the running around to get things.
Difficulties mastered are opportunities won. - Winston Churchill
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

I started playing this recently. I love the combat but really dislike the Abbey stuff. The world is ending, and your friends are in mortal danger, but sure let's have everyone lounge around the pool in bikinis.

I guess technically the Abbey stuff is all optional, but since what you do there improves the cards you have in the missions, I feel obligated to do as much of it as possible.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

msteelers wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 3:34 pm I started playing this recently. I love the combat but really dislike the Abbey stuff. The world is ending, and your friends are in mortal danger, but sure let's have everyone lounge around the pool in bikinis.

I guess technically the Abbey stuff is all optional, but since what you do there improves the cards you have in the missions, I feel obligated to do as much of it as possible.
This issue plagues almost every RPG, and a lot of other games as well. "Sure, the world is about to end, but I'll take a few weeks to run fetch quests for random people in this town."
Black Lives Matter.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

If you wanted you could send out multiple crews that don’t overlap. Personally, there are portals and planes in a multiverse that has time travel. Realism is not required.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

Decided against the season pass at this moment. Even though the DLC was advertised as a season pass, I get it...but the game just came out. Where's our updates or free content before you start milking us for more $? Love firaxis, but that's kind of sleazy. If/when I see the pass on a big discount (10 bones) will pick it up, till then I will stay away. I finished the game a while back, and love the combat...it's just the "friend" stuff drags the game down for me. Hopefully they streamline it in the future. Would love to see the game more focused on the tactical battles and base management and totally ditch the "Sim Life" elements [ or allow a short cut, so you can still get the cards say via missions rather than "book club"]. I did finish the game a while back, and even started a new one just to see the new game + mode. The friend level carried over into the new game. I didn't get far and I think am done with the game for now. I heard murmurs on QT3 that it didn't sell well at all. Wonder if that means the end of the game or if firaxis will improve it.
Bayraktar!!!!

Trump and the GOP; putting the banana in our Republic.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

I loved the interaction between Strange and Stark. And Blade was frequently LOL funny. And they nailed Peter Parker’s insecure enthusiasm.
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Picked this up the other day, and enjoying it so far. I'm a little concerned that the combat is going to get repetitive (quick attack noobs, then do a powerful attack or two on the lead guy) but still fun. The writing is good, the animations are well done, and its nice that they're working in win conditions into the battles (e.g., dealing with Venom throwing debris onto the battlefield and trying to rescue civilians while fighting Hydra).
Black Lives Matter.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

I'm enjoying it. I'm ready to start the last mission for Part 2 of the campaign. But I've already largely finished up the Abbey storyline, and I'm starting to max out the friendship levels with some of the other heroes.

I'll probably finish up the main campaign, then move on to something else for a bit. Hopefully some of the DLC will go on sale at some point.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

The dialogue between Stark and Strange often makes me laugh. They nailed Parker’s attitude, and I like Nico enough to overlook the Emo Kids.

Nico also pairs beautifully with Iron Man for mass damage.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

They used the same voice actor from the Sony Spider-Man games. He nails the character.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I’m waiting on a Paste Pot Pete DLC pack.
He won. Period.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

hepcat wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 9:43 pm I’m waiting on coding and repeatedly submitting to the developers a Paste Pot Pete DLC pack.
Black Lives Matter.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

These type of games are not my thing. I just don't enjoy watching the game for 30-45 minutes before I get to the next battle. I've played 6 hours and had about 6-7 battles. Although I think a lot of that was the setup/tutorial, and maybe it'll pick up now, but it's the same reason I never finished Red Dead.

I do plan on finishing this one, I just may not enjoy the whole journey. Definitely will not be one I replay like XCOM2, which I have replayed 47 times.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Apollo

Post by Apollo »

hepcat wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 9:43 pm I’m waiting on a Paste Pot Pete DLC pack.
Hate to break this to you, but Paste Pot Pete changed his name to "The Trapster" quite a while back...1965, I believe. :P
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

And Prince changed his name to <picture of a kumquat juxtaposed over an umlaut> but we still called him Prince!
He won. Period.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

msteelers wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 3:34 pm I started playing this recently. I love the combat but really dislike the Abbey stuff. The world is ending, and your friends are in mortal danger, but sure let's have everyone lounge around the pool in bikinis.

Also, you can complete all the Abbey quests by partway through the Southwest/Chapter 2, and then you just have a few times here or there to pick up supplies. The main issue I had with the Abbey quests was that they made doors/seals 3 & 4 dependent upon a mission late/at the end of chapter 1 and DIDN'T tell you, so I kept running around trying to see if I'd missed something before I looked it up.

Also, it would be SO much better if you could just tell Charlie to go out and get resources and essences rather than having to run around manually, especially AFTER you've completed all the quests.

All that said, I'm still having a LOT of fun with this. I have been pretty much playing it daily since I fired it up after getting it for Christmas - usually doing a mission or two (or running a hero through the limbo fights once the research unlocks that)) a day. I love the hero dialogs (and that they are all voiced, and voiced well), the battle animations/cards, etc. - even the friendship stuff isn't too bad (and the hero challenges they unlock for the legendary abilities when friendship is maxed are fun logic/hero ability puzzles).

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

Lassr wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 11:23 am These type of games are not my thing. I just don't enjoy watching the game for 30-45 minutes before I get to the next battle. I've played 6 hours and had about 6-7 battles. Although I think a lot of that was the setup/tutorial, and maybe it'll pick up now, but it's the same reason I never finished Red Dead.

I do plan on finishing this one, I just may not enjoy the whole journey. Definitely will not be one I replay like XCOM2, which I have replayed 47 times.
FWIW I'm also not enjoying how much downtime there is between missions. I usually only have an hour to sit and play, and I often can only get in a battle or two a night thanks to all of the busy work you have to do between missions.

But I'm still enjoying the gameplay. The characters are all fun with unique skillsets. I don't think I have a favorite team yet, and I'm almost done with the campaign. I'll probably set this aside once I finish the main mission, but I see myself coming back to it at least one more time. Hopefully the DLC goes on sale at some point!
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

FWIW I picked up the Deadpool DLC. Not super long as others have noted - 3 missions which each have two fights in them. That said, the story's good, the missions are fun, and Deadpool is fun to have around (and is a pretty good hero).

One minor irritant is that they apparently don't let you turn off subtitles, which is annoying to me as I find the subtitles distracting. But oh well.
Black Lives Matter.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

xbox said there were some people Looking for Group for this - I had no idea there was some sort of Multiplayer (even tho the LFG post indicated achievements for MP were borked).

Has anyone tried it (or even seen it)???

Searching indicates no, which has me wondering WTF the LFG dude was doing.

Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Well, the lack of multiplayer would explain the borked nature of the multiplayer achievements.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

msteelers wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 6:30 pm
Lassr wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 11:23 am These type of games are not my thing. I just don't enjoy watching the game for 30-45 minutes before I get to the next battle. I've played 6 hours and had about 6-7 battles. Although I think a lot of that was the setup/tutorial, and maybe it'll pick up now, but it's the same reason I never finished Red Dead.

FWIW I'm also not enjoying how much downtime there is between missions. I usually only have an hour to sit and play, and I often can only get in a battle or two a night thanks to all of the busy work you have to do between missions.
That's the crux of why I don't like a lot of downtime between missions. I usually have an hour at night to play. Sometimes on slow work days, and I'm working from home, I can get in a couple of hours.But If I'm just going to sit and watch the game instead of play then I'd rather get in an episode of something I'm watching such as Bad Batch.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

I'm surprised that you think there is a lot of downtime between missions. Other than the "tutorial" parts early in the game, the things you can do between missions are optional. You can just keep doing the missions after missions without doing the optional things.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

Victoria Raverna wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 12:37 am I'm surprised that you think there is a lot of downtime between missions. Other than the "tutorial" parts early in the game, the things you can do between missions are optional. You can just keep doing the missions after missions without doing the optional things.
That's technically correct (which is the best kind of correct), but I don't think leveling up your characters/cards and optimizing your deck is exactly optional.
ChuckB

Post by ChuckB »

I recently finished the game on PS5 (as in "finished the main storyline") and here are some (non-spoilery) thoughts:
  • Obviously, I really liked it overall. My games played/games finished ratio is not that great and finishing a meaty game like this so shortly (for me) after release is rather unusual
    The fighting is great and the overall system, together with the excellent visuals (during fights) makes this very satisfying. I did a lot of fighting for a while without moving the story forward, so I was somewhat overlevelled in the second half of the game but could have increased the difficulty, so that wasn't an issue (for me). I enjoyed using some heroes more than others and I (think) I always had the Hunter participate in the fights.
  • I'm not someone who likes the intricacies of deckbuilding in games and while I enjoyed that part somewhat, I was far away from really optimizing my decks and think that there is a lot more meat in this for people who enjoy this
  • For the social part of the game ... that's a bit more challenging. I thought it was ok and I also enjoy parts of it but I also had days where I clicked through the dialogues without paying much attention. I think a lot of the characters were well done (and I did not know many of them before, I'm not a huge comics/Marvel fan)
  • For the Abbey and Abbey grounds: I liked that part in the beginning but ultimately, this felt very flat. I thought that the "stories"/secrets were very basic and almost felt like an afterthought. I enjoyed the initial exploration but once I saw everything once, I never returned to the Abbey grounds at all. I didn't need any of the ingredients for my gameplay so there was no reason. With respect to this, the game felt hugely imbalanced - if one main part of the game loses all its use halfway through, something is not calibrated right, IMO
  • That last point is probably my main criticism (although, as mentioned, I really enjoyed my time with the game): the game feels somewhat like the team took a considerable number of systems/gameloops from different games and forced them together without creating a really coherent system. Again, not a big issue for me but it makes the game less memorable, I believe. I will NOT remember this game for its story or "experience" overall but for it's nice fights (and in that way, I don't think it will be hard for me to continue playing missions after finishing the storyline, as it does not matter that much
  • Since I mainly only know the "classical" Marvel heroes, I was a bit surprised by the overall direction of the storyline into mystical/fantasy. Was ok for me but felt a bit weird
  • This game was BY FAR the most unstable game I ever played on any console since 2008. I had multiple crashes (never have them otherwise) and to this day, the game has some weird bugs (like the inability to select the default scheme for certain outfits etc.)
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Robbie / Ghost Rider asked me to get a new hairstyle for him. Only I can't see any way to do that - I can buy new outfits for him, but don't see anything about hair styles. How do I do that? Have I just not unlocked the hair style shop or something?
Black Lives Matter.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

El Guapo wrote:Robbie / Ghost Rider asked me to get a new hairstyle for him. Only I can't see any way to do that - I can buy new outfits for him, but don't see anything about hair styles. How do I do that? Have I just not unlocked the hair style shop or something?
When I've gotten those artists er, requests, it's usually a hair style/ accessory for the Hunter.

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk
Last edited by Pyperkub on Wed Feb 15, 2023 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

msteelers

Post by msteelers »

Pyperkub wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 2:30 pm
El Guapo wrote:Robbie / Ghost Rider asked me to get a new hairstyle for him. Only I can't see any way to do that - I can buy new outfits for him, but don't see anything about hair styles. How do I do that? Have I just not unlocked the hair style shop or something?
When I've gotten those artists, it's usually a hair style/ accessory for the Hunter.

Yeah, I just got that mission from Robbie. I changed the hair style for the Hunter, got the reward, and immediately switched back.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

I could probably wrap up the main storyline tonight, but I kind of want to max out the friendship with all of the heroes. I think I just need to get Ms Marvel, Ghost Rider, SpiderMan, and Wolverine up one more level.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

msteelers wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 2:49 pm
Pyperkub wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 2:30 pm
When I've gotten those artists, it's usually a hair style/ accessory for the Hunter.

Yeah, I just got that mission from Robbie. I changed the hair style for the Hunter, got the reward, and immediately switched back.
Didn't he ask for a new hairstyle for him? Did I misread that? Why would he be asking the Hunter to change their hairstyle?
Black Lives Matter.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

It was definitely to change the Hunters hairstyle for me. Like you said, I don’t think there’s a way to change the hairstyles of the other heroes.