Marvel's Midnight Suns [Firaxis]

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

El Guapo

Re: Marvel's Midnight Suns [Firaxis]

Post by El Guapo »

msteelers wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 5:50 pm It was definitely to change the Hunters hairstyle for me. Like you said, I don’t think there’s a way to change the hairstyles of the other heroes.
Well that seems rude. I kind of wish there was a "fuck off none of your business" dialogue option.
Black Lives Matter.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

El Guapo wrote:
msteelers wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 5:50 pm It was definitely to change the Hunters hairstyle for me. Like you said, I don’t think there’s a way to change the hairstyles of the other heroes.
Well that seems rude. I kind of wish there was a "fuck off none of your business" dialogue option.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

El Guapo, maybe it’s a bug. Bruce Banner gave me a quest to invite him to a haven. The only problem is Bruce doesn’t use the friendship mechanic. So it’s impossible to invite him to a haven.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

It's clobberin' time (in other words, I'm giving this one a go.)

Minor niggle: I'm running into the 'misleading dialogue' issue that Bioware is famous for. Hyperbolized for effect.

Dialogue option:

[What's the purpose of the sanctum?]

(Ah, thinks I, lore!)

Resulting dialogue:

"What's so important about this stupid sanctum anyway? And you're a big stupid dummy face."

[-1 Hug Points with Dr. Spooky]
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

msteelers wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 9:57 am El Guapo, maybe it’s a bug. Bruce Banner gave me a quest to invite him to a haven. The only problem is Bruce doesn’t use the friendship mechanic. So it’s impossible to invite him to a haven.
That doesn't seem right (I don't have Bruce yet, just starting Act III), but I've never seen a character make a request for themselves and a Haven. It may be for a different character...
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Finished one mission. Got access to social media, then... I'm stuck. The screen is covered with a blurry filter, and there is an objectives popup that says, "Explore your room", but it won't go away. I can't move, or dismiss it, or anything else.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Solved. Another game where you can't rebind your movement keys without breaking the game because they have hidden functions hard-coded to the *(#*!#@ keys.

/edit - specifically, you can rebind the movement keys, but if you rebind the menu keys (so that you can navigate the map, etc), they break the movement keys.

And I improved my stuttering considerably by disabling the launcher.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Picked it up on sale for the ps5 and…well….I’m just not feeling it. The combat, to me, feels like a JRPG. And I am not a fan of that genre. At all.

I’ll continue on and see if it grows on me though. It wouldn’t be the first time that my first opinion of a game or other piece of media eventually changed as I consumed it.
Covfefe!
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

I finished the main story tonight, with maxed out friendship for each hero and everyone up between lvl 20-23. The final mission had some fun tweaks to the typical gameplay, but ultimately I felt disappointed with the ending. It felt like it was building to a big climatic battle, but then it just… ended. The story was also a letdown.

Overall I liked the game though. It had some flaws, but it was still fun. Maybe one day they’ll do a sequel and fix some of the issues.
msteelers

Marvel's Midnight Suns [Firaxis]

Post by msteelers »

It looks like Steam players can try this for free this weekend.

And Venom might be released in a week too.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Interesting - I discovered that the voice actress doing Nico Minoru is Lyrica Okano, probably best known for her role in The Runways as... Nico Minoru.

Enlarge Image
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I was surprised at how closely they stuck to the tv show for her story (so far).

And I have to note I've changed my mind on the game. I'm REALLY enjoying the combat now. It took me about a half dozen battles before it started to grow on me. But now I look forward to them. I'm still struggling with the positioning to use area affects/objects, but at least now I understand knockback, teleportation (portals and drops), etc..

It also doesn't hurt that the Abbey has a lot of extra stuff to do for fans of the comics. Lots of easter eggs and other things.
Covfefe!
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Blackhawk wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 1:23 pm Interesting - I discovered that the voice actress doing Nico Minoru is Lyrica Okano, probably best known for her role in The Runways as... Nico Minoru.

Enlarge Image
She's my favorite hero, BTW. Both in terms of personality and in terms of abilities. Right now my favorite hero lineup is Hunter, Nico, and Captain Marvel.
Black Lives Matter.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

hepcat wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 2:21 pm I was surprised at how closely they stuck to the tv show for her story (so far).
I barely remember the show, and only know her peripherally from the comics (I've read a half a dozen issues of Runaways as they intersect with events I'm reading - like Civil War.) I do seem to remember (show spoilers) that they show tried to pass the Staff of One off as a piece of tech designed around Minoru DNA rather than having it (and her) be actual magic, and I also remember that her parents were scientists who meant well rather than straight up evil sorcerers.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

I'm enjoying this more now that I have gotten past the start. I don't leave the abbey often, got a routine of running around and doing all the tasks, and then fight a battle to end the day. Helps I can skip through a lot of the fluff conversations.

Dr Strange is strangely under powered to me...
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

So is Cap'n Marvel. And Cap'n America. And the Hulk could punch either of them into the sun. And then there's Nico's staff (is it in the game? I still haven't had the time to get too far), which is incredibly powerful. Hell, the game features The Scarlet Witch, who in the comics could turn them all into colorful toothpaste. Literally. Including the tube.

If they put them at their full (comics-accurate) power, it would be impossible to have any form of balance with the other characters, sort of like the problem DC has with Superman and The Flash when they're standing next to Green Arrow and Huntress.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

I think there’s a throwaway line from the heroes early in about how they are struggling because the bad guys are powered up by magic.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

It's more that Strange/Nico/Hulk/Cap'n Marvel/etc aren't even remotely in the same class as some of the lesser heroes on the team, but are putting out the same amount of hurt.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

Blackhawk wrote:It's more that Strange/Nico/Hulk/Cap'n Marvel/etc aren't even remotely in the same class as some of the lesser heroes on the team, but are putting out the same amount of hurt.
Sure, but that’s going to be true of every super hero game. You need all of the playable characters to be roughly the same power level.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Which is exactly what I said. :wink:
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

I agree with the above, but I meant Dr. Strange in under-powered in the game compared to the other game super heroes. I have a hard time having him contribute in a battle. He usually stands and watches until his is the only card I can play.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Lassr wrote:I agree with the above, but I meant Dr. Strange in under-powered in the game compared to the other game super heroes. I have a hard time having him contribute in a battle. He usually stands and watches until his is the only card I can play.
Funny thing is that when I used him solo on the TAUNT limbo training room, he breezed through it. Ditto Captain Marvel. Spidey is the only one I really failed with, mostly because I used up all the environmental damage the first round.

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

NVidia is giving out code for Captain Marvel Medieval skin. You can get it if you have Geforce Experience installed.

The skin is included in the season pass or legendary edition.

I don't need the code since I have the Legendary edition. PM me if you want it.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I'm still playing, but I'm not loving the mission/base management ratio. Do a 10-minute mission, spend an hour doing stuff in the base, do a 10-minute mission, spend an hour in the base. And geeze there are a lot of variants of 'talk to the party members' to keep track of. Talking, hangouts, havens, clubs, gifts. I don't hate chatting with party members between missions in games (within reason), but the balance of it in this game seems really off.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Just finished this game. I have to say that I really liked it - really a great mix of strategy / tactics to be interesting without being overly complicated, and a great way to just chill at the end of the day. I will say that as the game progressed managing the ability upgrade and training stuff got a little cumbersome - craft a new ability, then I need more "heroic" resource so I need to cycle through the heroes to find one with an extra 'heroic' ability in reserve, then de-craft that, then use that to combine the new ability, etc. I also didn't love the mechanic of supervillains randomly showing up in general missions - felt like the missions were all balanced without that in mind, so that whenever it happened the difficulty immediately ramped up from 'doable' to 'almost impossible'.

But those are nits. The game was very fun (even if the 'superfriends' stuff did get a little sill at times). Also I thought that the end mission was really well done and cool. I also thought it was a nice touch that the credits had a mid-credit and an end-credit scene, Marvel-style.
Black Lives Matter.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

I finished it this , week too, and I did like that the superfriends mechanic came into play late to a story degree. I do wish the abbey exploring and abilities and mysteries were more integrated.

E.g, towards the endgame, a meteor fell from the sky. I finally found it and all it was was "Mystery solved".

Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Just finished it also, i did enjoy the game, I'm glad you can keep playing after you finish, but also wish it had a skirmish mode.

The skip conversation button was a life saver. Otherwise my opinion would be a lot less.

Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

$26 from Green Man Gaming seems like a good deal then, eh?
Maybe next year, maybe no go
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Love this game after having a bit of a tough time getting into it.
But 99.9 percent of all my battles end with one star. :(
Covfefe!
RMC

Post by RMC »

hepcat wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 9:22 am Love this game after having a bit of a tough time getting into it.
I have had a bunch like that as well. I had two of my three heros down, and barely pulled it out with the main protagonist. Venom showed up and wiped the board with my guys.
Difficulties mastered are opportunities won. - Winston Churchill
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

hepcat wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 9:22 am Love this game after having a bit of a tough time getting into it.
That's me. Key is don't give up on it in the beginning. There is a gem there once you get into it.

Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

At first I was like "oh...it's a friggin' dumbed down version of Magic the Gathering". But then I started getting the hang of the tactical side of things. I think my problem was I wanted X Com and this has never tried to be X Com. Once I let that go, I found a really fun game.
Covfefe!
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

RMC wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 9:31 am
I have had a bunch like that as well. I had two of my three heros down, and barely pulled it out with the main protagonist. Venom showed up and wiped the board with my guys.
I will say that I don't love the mechanic whereby supervillains (like Fallen Venom) randomly show up in general missions. The missions sure seem to be balanced without a supervillain in mind, so immediately those missions go from doable to almost impossible in my experience.
Black Lives Matter.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

It's Morbin' time!

"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

The final DLC (Storm) was released yesterday, and the game is currently on sale for 50% off on Steam.

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

I was curious about the dlc packs, and then I saw that the season pass for all 4 costs $50.

Uh, no.

Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Yeah, the current sale is not friendly to people who already own the base game. The game and the game+season pass are 50% off, but the season pass itself is full price.

stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Is that the usual practice for a Season Pass and/or DLC?
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

I'm not sure. It just seems really odd to me that it's cheaper to buy the game+DLC during the sale than it is to buy just the DLC. It feels like a bit of a FU to people who bought the game but waited on the DLC (and will presumably wait even longer, until it finally goes on sale at a deep discount).

stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Max Peck wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 1:09 pm It feels like a bit of a FU to people who bought the game but waited on the DLC (and will presumably wait even longer, until it finally goes on sale at a deep discount).
:greetings-waveyellow:

I havent even fired the game up yet because I've been waiting......
He/Him/His/Porcupine