Timberborn - A city-building game featuring ingenious animals

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

jztemple2

Re: Timberborn - A city-building game featuring ingenious animals

Post by jztemple2 »

telcta wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:40 pm A couple items of interest (for me) from that livestream.

1. The ability to move buildings... or at least recoup some of the resources when destroying one. This is something they are considering. I had made plenty of mistakes starting out not connecting the path correctly. Also, I like a tidy, organized town and want to relocate my buildings.
They could tie that to the difficulty level, I have a city-builder that does that. On Normal you can move buildings, on Hard you have to destroy them.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

News from the devs, Update 1 is here!

Ho-ho-ho!

Holidays are upon us and we’ve got a gift: our first major content update for Timberborn, now available for everyone! Big thank you to all eager beavers testing (and breaking) new stuff on the experimental branch. You helped us make it better for today’s official release. We have the full patch notes below. Even if you've been keeping up with the experimental version, you may find a little surprise to fit the holiday spirit. Watch the new trailer to see the update’s highlights!
Patch notes:
Spoiler:
Patch notes: 2021-12-17 (Update 1)
IMPORTANT, please read. Once you update the game on the main branch, existing saves become largely incompatible, as indicated by a warning.
Please start a new game!

If you want to continue building pre-patch settlements without the new content and changes, we have added
a pre-patch branch called “Old version 0.0”. You can access it the same way you enable the experimental branch, as explained here.

If the save was made on Experimental Branch, you can ignore that warning and continue playing. Just make sure you move your files from ExperimentalSaves to Saves.

GeForce Now
As a reminder, Timberborn on Steam is now available to play via GeForce Now.

Infinite metal production
Scraping down ex-hooman buildings was not enough, we get it.
• New resource node: Underground Ruins. These large, rich in metal remnants of hooman civilization can only be placed in the map editor. They provide an infinite source of scrap metal, but are difficult to adapt for beaver needs.
• New building: Mine (4000 SP; 250 logs, 200 treated planks, 350 gears; 10 workers; can only be built on top of Underground Ruins). In exchange for a stream of gears and treated planks, beavers are now able to get infinite amounts of scrap metal.
• New building: Efficient Mine (4000 SP; 300 logs, 300 treated planks,450 gears; 10 workers; can only be built on top of Underground Ruins). This mine can only be built by the Iron Teeth, and produces more Scrap Metal. Additionally, it has a secondary recipe that includes Explosives and produces even more scrap metal.
• New building: Smelter (300 SP; 50 planks, 20 gears, 30 scrap metal; 200 HP; uses logs as fuel; 1 worker). To be used in buildings, scrap metal needs to be turned into metal blocks here. This also applies to the scrap from the “normal” ruins, previously processed in Shredder.
• Shredder was removed from the game. But don’t fret, there are shredding enthusiasts in the team and the building may return in some form one day! \m/

Water gameplay
The ability to transfer water to higher levels is one of the most popular requests so we’ve got you a mechanical water pump! Also, Water Wheels’ behaviour is now more immersive. Check their new variants to feel the difference!
• New building: Mechanical Water Pump (5000 SP; 100 gears, 50 treated planks, 50 metal blocks; 700 HP). This pump sucks the water below and dumps it at a higher level.
• New building: Deep Mechanical Water Pump (5000 SP; 100 gears, 50 treated planks, 50 metal blocks; 700 HP). This is the Iron Teeth variant of the pump. It has a longer, 6-tile deep pipe matching that of a Deep Water Pump.
• New building: Compact Water Wheel (25 logs; Iron Teeth only). Unlocked right from the start, this provides a little surge of hydro energy at the early stage of the game.
• Updated building: Water Wheel: it is now a Folktails-only building.
• New building: Large Water Wheel (200 SP; 70 logs, 80 planks; Iron Teeth only). This beast requires additional support on the side but is much more efficient.
• Water Wheels now have variable HP output, depending on the current’s strength. If placed well, they’ll be even more effective than before.
• Water Wheels will now slightly slow down the water passing through.
• Water Marker was renamed Stream Gauge. It now also indicates the water current’s strength.
• Made numerous tweaks to the water physics system to address the addition of Mechanical Water Pumps and changes made to Water Wheels.

New goods and resources
Metal is not everything, yo. We’ve got new plants as well.
• New resource: Chestnut trees. These trees with thick trunks grow slowly, but they provide your beavers with chestnuts in addition to logs.
• New resource: Cattail. Yields cattail roots. Can only grow in water, as indicated by the Aquatic keyword.
• New resource: Spadderdock. Yields spadderdock (duh). Can only grow in water, as indicated by the Aquatic keyword.
• Updated resource: Pine. Pines are now also a source of pine resin.
• Updated resource: Maple. You’ve guessed it, you can also gather maple syrup.

New and updated resource-processing buildings
Updates to resources required an expansion of available buildings.
• New building: Wood Workshop (800 SP; 20 logs, 40 planks, 50 gears; 1 worker; 250 HP). Creates treated planks from planks and pine resin.
• New building: Aquatic Farmhouse (150 SP; 30 logs, 10 planks; 2 workers). Similar to the ordinary Farmhouse, beavers employed here grow cattail and spadderdock in the designated areas (in shallow waters).
• New building: Tapper’s Shack (500 SP; 20 logs, 20 planks, 10 gears; 1 worker). A beaver employed here gathers pine resin and maple syrup from trees in range. You can pick the prioritized good.
• Updated building: Gatherer’s Flag. Gatherers are now able to gather chestnuts in addition to blueberries. You can choose the prioritized good.

Multiple recipes
As a continuation of the above, we’ve implemented the ability to pick from different recipes – as already mentioned in the case of Iron Teeth’s Efficient Mine.
• Updated building: Grill. You can now pick between Grilled Potatoes, Grilled Chestnuts, and Grilled Spadderdock. Yield numbers vary.
• Updated building: Gristmill. You can now pick between Wheat Flour and Cattail Flour.
• Updated building: Bakery. You can now pick between Bread, Maple Pastry, and Cattail Crackers.
• If a building allows multiple recipes, you need to pick one before it starts working. If you don’t, the building will display a warning and “?” in the building panel. You can choose the recipe before the building is built.

Science
Let the beavers gaze into the stars for too long and you end up with Inventor’s Hut on steroids.
• New building: Observatory (1000 SP; 80 planks, 30 gears, 10 pine resin; 200 HP; employs 4 workers). Generates SP at a high rate and has cool rotating pieces!

New attractions
It’s post-apocalypse alright but a beaver’s existence should not be just about trying to survive.
• New building: Lido (250 SP; 40 logs, 30 planks; can only be built on a riverbank). You wanted the swimming pools, and here they are. Lidos satisfy Fun.
• New building: Mud Bath (1800 SP; 50 gears, 50 treated planks, 30 water; 50 HP). Rivers aren’t always available but getting down and dirty (with bubbles!) can be Fun too.
• New building: a little beaver secret, totally not leaked before and not shown in the feature trailer. Enjoy your spiritual holidays!

Maps and Map Editor
• All included maps have been updated to include Metal Deposits and Chestnut Trees. To maintain the in-game balance, we have removed some of the existing ruins and other trees.
• It is now possible to place Metal Deposits and Chestnut Trees in the map editor.

Balance
• Average Wellbeing needed to unlock Iron Teeth increased from 8 to 11.
• Engine now generates 400 HP, up from 200 HP.
• Large Windmill now generates up to 400 HP, up from 300 HP.
• Windmill now generates up to 200 HP, up from 120 HP.
• Changed the time to grow Maple to 30 days.
• Made tweaks to the Nutrition needs so that it’s possible to satisfy all of them.

In-game text and credits
• Added more flavor texts to buildings and resources. Can you spot all the references?
• Updated descriptions for many buildings.
• Added Vyna, the Masterful Architect of Helix Mountain, as well as our awesome moderators and new Eager Beavers, to the in-game credits.

Miscellaneous
• When in full screen, the game is now played in borderless windowed mode.
• Updated some icons for buildings and resources.
• Foresters and Farmhouses now receive a "Nothing to do in range" status when there is no field in their range.

Bug fixes
• The game should no longer freeze on macOS during launch or when changing resolution.
• Fixed a bug causing the game to freeze while loading on full screen.
• Fixed a bug with Tribute to Ingenuity not working properly.
• Fixed a bug that allowed the Iron Teeth to place Platforms on a particular tile within Rooftop Terrace.
• Beavers occupying slots in buildings will now be properly displayed.
• Fixed a bug with highlighting text in text fields.
• Fixed a bug with kits being unable to grow because of too many attractions nearby. Sorry, Peter Pan.
• Fixed the bug that allowed gathering goods from dead crops after reloading the game.
• Fixed the gears overlapping in Large Windmill.
• Fixed Water Dumps sometimes overflowing reservoirs.
• Resources are now sorted alphabetically in the building’s inventory panel.
• Fixed a bug with a settlement named “nul” blocking the game. Nice find. o_O
• Water below level 0 is now hidden. The magically flooded Underground Warehouses are no more!
• Fixed Lumberjack's status sometimes not deactivating when it should.
• Fixed the "Nothing to do in range" warning icon not disappearing at night.
• Exhausted beavers now receive a status over their heads while sleeping.
• Fixed the highlight not disappearing after blowing a marked-for-tree-cutting area up with dynamite.
• Tree stumps no longer block building a Water Dump.
• Tree stumps no longer prevent Lumberjacks' warning icons from appearing.
• Fixed the “drought incoming” sound playing incorrectly and scaring beavers.
• Updated the Shrub's incorrect sound effect.
• Fixed the FPS drops after marking a large area for tree-cutting.
• Fixed several crash causes.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

I really want to get this. I just hate the idea of another Early Access title.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

baelthazar wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 6:07 pm I really want to get this. I just hate the idea of another Early Access title.
Normally I'd have stayed away from it as well, but I made a special case since I found the water control features interesting. The game is quite playable, they are adding new features with the updates. Frankly, with so many games releasing into Early Access nowadays, I feel like I might not even be playing games by the time the ones that appeal to me get to full release :roll:.
infinitelurker

Post by infinitelurker »

I wishlisted this when first reading this thread, and just decided to pick this up on the winter Steam sale.

I thought I was doing pretty good getting up to about 75 population, having a dam, and just getting a good feel for things. Then, a long drought hit and was long enough that despite my dam, all the water was eventually gone, and all but 5 of my beaver population slowly died of thirst. :cry:

Seeing that there were 5 left and the drought now over I thought I could maybe grow the population back. However, those 5 survivors were all children, so they couldn't work the water pumps, and they all died beside the now raging river. :grund:

BTW, thanks jztemple2 for your write-ups and images - now that I get what's going on I've been reviewing them to try to learn more.
-something witty-
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

You're welcome :D.

Flooding and drought are the big challenges in the game. You'll do all sorts of things to keep from getting too much water, then suddenly you don't have enough water. In many city builders, there's a tipping point when you've figured out how to get getting more resources, more population, more of everything and then the gameplay can get kind of boring. In Timberborn the drought cycles keep you from getting complacent, especially on the harder levels when the droughts really get longer.

You've motivated me to start up a new game to check out the changes on the update. I'll post as I go along, however it's been so long since the first playthrough that I'm going to have to do the tutorial steps.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

In case I didn't post it before, here is a very good Steam Guide about the game.

So I started my new game on the Plains map, and darn if I didn't shoot myself in the foot again by the fifth cycle. I seemed forever short of logs and then planks, so I build four sawmills. I was so busy with other things I didn't notice that I was short of logs because I was just stockpiling planks, eventually having 250+ at a time I really should have shut down the sawmills and let the logs be used for other building.

I got through the first four droughts without much of a hitch, but on the fifth cycle, the drought lasted enough days that I really seriously ran out of water, losing almost twenty beavers dying of thirst. I'm trying to recover now, but I really should have built those large water storage structures a lot earlier.

Enlarge Image
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Oh my gosh this game is a really time sucker (is that a thing?). I started playing a new playthrough on an old map and I've sunk almost a dozen hours on a "casual" playthrough...

Fair warning, I forgot, again, on this playthrough to immediately go to the District Distribution Limits window as soon as I created a new district to alter (down!) the High limit on what resources I'd ship to that new district. So I ended up stripping my starting district of most all of its food and gave it to the new district which has almost no one there. I was facing massive starvation in the old district so I just sent most of my beavers to the new one so they could get a meal :roll:
Enlarge Image
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I'm back to playing this, which while still in Early Access :roll: recently got a big update. A quick video of the changes:

I was motivated to start up on this game again because I'm currently reading Waterpower in Lowell: Engineering and Industry in Nineteenth-Century America by Patrick M. Malone. For those not familiar with their 19th Century American industrial history :wink:, Lowell was the first large scale industrial town in America, concentrating on textile manufacturing. It was able to achieve this industrial growth by taking advantage of the Merrimack River, diverting its power using canals and waterwheels. Sort of what you do in Timberborn!
naednek

Post by naednek »

jztemple2 wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 5:44 pm I'm back to playing this, which while still in Early Access :roll: recently got a big update. A quick video of the changes:

I was motivated to start up on this game again because I'm currently reading Waterpower in Lowell: Engineering and Industry in Nineteenth-Century America by Patrick M. Malone. For those not familiar with their 19th Century American industrial history :wink:, Lowell was the first large scale industrial town in America, concentrating on textile manufacturing. It was able to achieve this industrial growth by taking advantage of the Merrimack River, diverting its power using canals and waterwheels. Sort of what you do in Timberborn!

I've been playing all week and still hard af
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I've started a new game on the Recommended map, but this time I'm doing it on Easy. I'm still being thrown off by how little food the critters eat on this setting.

Enlarge Image
naednek

Post by naednek »

jztemple2 wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 6:21 pm I've started a new game on the Recommended map, but this time I'm doing it on Easy. I'm still being thrown off by how little food the critters eat on this setting.

Enlarge Image
I'm playing the same map. Keep posting pics :)
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I'm part way through Cycle 3. Here's an overview. That irrigation tower on the left upper side is going to be in a new district, which will focus on crops. I want to remove that farm near the river so I can use it for industrial purposes.

My industrial area, two plank and one gear factory. I've got three waterwheels complete and a fourth one in construction. I plan to link them together so they can share power

My housing complex. I've gone up to two stories right now.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I've now expanded across the river and have two tree farms on the south side of the river. As before, logs are my limiting item. Since I'm playing on Easy, the drought periods are less of a concern, as is food (I have tons of berries). I'm resisting going upstream and starting to throw up a dam, I have enough to do right now.

naednek

Post by naednek »

JZ, how are you sharing your screenshots.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

naednek wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 4:21 pm JZ, how are you sharing your screenshots.
I capture the screenshot in-game using the default F12 key. Then I go to the game's Library page in the Steam client. On the right side there's a box called "SCREENSHOTS". Below the several most recent shots shown there is the hypertext "Manage my xxx screenshots". Click that and a new window opens up labeled "Screenshot Uploader".

On that new window, select a screenshot on the left so it displays in the large panel on the right. At the very bottom right there's a button called "Upload". Click that, then click the "Upload" button on the little dialog box that pops up that asks about visibility. Almost there...

When you do the above, the main client switches to the "Community" menu and you should see your newly uploaded screenshot. Click on the screenshot there and a new popup window will, err, pop-up. It will have some alpha-numeric identifier as the title followed by the resolution of the screenshot. Just below that is the actual URL of the image. Double-click that to highlight it, then copy. You can then paste that URL in image tags in your post.

It all sounds convoluted, but after you do it a few times it becomes second nature. I've used it for years now. Also, you can always go back to the "Screenshot Uploader" page to look at older screenshots to see what else you might want to upload. In the column on the left you'll see a cloud symbol on the screenshots you've uploaded. If you select any of those, you just have to click the button on the bottom right that is now labeled "View Online" and go from there.

By the way, there might be simpler steps, if so, maybe someone nice will post them :wink:
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

That's what I do as well. If there is an easier way, I'd love to know it.
naednek

Post by naednek »

Thanks I saw your link but I wasn't seeing the same, but managed to stumble on it.

I've played this map several times and always failed. This is the furthest I've been. Playing on normal

Almost had to start over as I somehow ran out of food. Lost about 30 beavers and managed to have some food harvested before the rest died. Took a few years to build back up and was finally able to expand.

Enlarge Image

After seeing JZ's screenshots I borrowed his idea on expanding to the west and east. To the west I plan on having my paper and metal factories and to the east another settlement. Don't mind the Irrigation tower that's flooded, I was experiementing before I stopped playing, and learned my idea of having it there won't work. I was hoping it would still be reachable as it was flooded and the beavers could fill the water from the top :D

Enlarge Image

Enlarge Image

Ground View
Enlarge Image
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

In this shot I notice that you have gear and plank factories up on the hill near the camera. I've been very rigorous about using waterpower for those; I might have to rethink that approach. I probably can get by with just beaver power after building up a stockpile.
Enlarge Image

I notice the large number of crop squares you have. Since I'm playing on Easy I find I'm getting by with a lot less. I wish I could adjust the difficulty on the fly.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I don't know why this didn't occur to me. I have put irrigation towers in farms near my river just so when there's a drought they would continue to grow. I looked at them and realized that I could make sure they are full then turn them off until a drought actually begins :roll:. Frees up the labor force and keeps me from wasting water (assuming it actually does use water).
Enlarge Image
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I use Shadowplay for the screenshots, then just open the link for Imgur and drag them in. Imgur even provides an img link for the board.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

In spite of my normal reticence to play Early Access games unless they involve Kerbals, I'm going back to this game since they have released a major update in the experimental branch, Patch notes 2022-11-21 (Experimental). There is a major change to the way storage works, I've quoted just the beginning of a quite lengthy description of all the changes:
We have redesigned the warehouses to work similarly to how many players already used them in the late game. The new system helps you avoid a situation where they get clogged up by an overproduced good and can’t take another (for example, with golem heads taking up the room you need for food). It makes it easier to manage resources across the colony, see what is stored where, and how much room is left for each good. Finally, the updated warehouses add more visual variety and encourage vertical building. Let us know how the new system works for you.
  • Warehouses no longer accept all goods at the same time. The player picks a single good that will be stored in a particular warehouse. You can change your selection at any time but before beavers start bringing the new resource, they will remove the old one.
  • The new system also applies to all piles and tanks. These buildings are now universal, allowing you to choose what should be stored inside (including many goods that used to be stored in warehouses).
And there are now recyclable buildings:
One of the most anticipated features is here - you can now recover materials from buildings you remove. It feels great to see all your colony go up in smoke so go on, give it a try! Just remember that someone will have to clean that mess afterwards.Image
There are other changes as well, check out the patch notes linked above. I'm going to give it a try even though it is an experimental (beta) update since I've been tinkering around with creating my own map.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I've learned that I can filter my wishlist to hide early access and pre-release titles. I am hoping to avoid the errors of the past, where I've spent massive time on a game in early access only to be finished with it before it actually releases. This one has been on my list for a while, right next to Dyson Sphere Program, and they are both going to wait, dammit!
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

coopasonic wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 12:21 pm I've learned that I can filter my wishlist to hide early access and pre-release titles. I am hoping to avoid the errors of the past, where I've spent massive time on a game in early access only to be finished with it before it actually releases. This one has been on my list for a while, right next to Dyson Sphere Program, and they are both going to wait, dammit!
I've already put in 164 hours on Dyson Sphere Program :roll:. Must have had Kerbals in it...

While I normally would avoid early access, even if I've bought it (I'm looking at you, Uboat, sitting in my "to be played sometime" list) I've been searching around for a new colony builder to play and yet I keep coming back to Timberborn just because it seems to be more fun and involving for me than other titles.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Update 3 has arrived!. Checked the linked article for the full range of changes, which are pretty significant.
Just in time for the holidays, the next major Timberborn update is ready to play for everyone. The highlight of this patch is the brand-new storage system but we have also redesigned golems bots, improved migrations, added the ability to recover resources from deleted buildings, and more. With all the changes across the board, there’s never been a better time to pick up the game - or to start another round of frantic beaver colony building!
naednek

Post by naednek »

so...

my life the last month...

Got back into cyberpunk
then bought red dead for pc (already beat it on ps4)
trying to finish Horizon Zero Dawn and the DLC before moving on to the sequel
Got sidetrack with ghost busters game for a weekend
then zombie lab xboss pass
then high on life Xbox pass\

and now this.

I'm never going to finish a game.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Get into wargaming or a new MMO.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Wow, almost a year since I posted here. Thought I'd post about a new update going into the experimental channel to show how the game continues to evolve. Heaven knows when they'll do the 1.0 release.

Patch notes 2023-12-04 (Experimental)
In today’s not-so-small update, we’re changing (and adding) attractions. The irrigation algorithm receives an important tweak (bye-bye, Water Dump trick). We’re also adding the ability to build mirrored buildings. Oh, and the extract is now green (again).

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Jesus, this is STILL in EA?! Come on, man.

I dislike that seemingly growing trend of "forever EA".
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I've quit worrying about EA. I've got games that I've bought that are full releases that ended up being complete and total garbage. I've also got games that are still in EA that I've put hundreds of hours into and loved.

I look at the game as it is now, checking out reviews and gameplay. Is it something I'm going to enjoy as it already is? If it never gets another update, is what it is now worth the money? If so, then why not?

Timberborn has been on my wishlist forever, and I'm really looking forward to it - I am just holding off until I'm actually ready to play it (just like another currently EA game - Slime Rancher 2.)
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 7:42 pm Jesus, this is STILL in EA?! Come on, man.

I dislike that seemingly growing trend of "forever EA".
We've discussed this a bit over in the randomness thread, I also agree about this trend. On Steam news I follow all my games and there are so many that keep talking about adding this feature or addressing that performance issue sometime in the future before they hit full release.

Regarding Timberborn, their Early Access text on the product page says:
Approximately how long will this game be in Early Access?

“We expect the Early Access to last at least a year. While we have ideas for what needs to be done before the full release (see below), players’ feedback affects that and we’re ready to put in additional time.”
Their initial Early Access release date was Sep 15, 2021, so they are about 16 months past the planned release date.
Blackhawk wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 8:41 pm I've quit worrying about EA. I've got games that I've bought that are full releases that ended up being complete and total garbage. I've also got games that are still in EA that I've put hundreds of hours into and loved.

I look at the game as it is now, checking out reviews and gameplay. Is it something I'm going to enjoy as it already is? If it never gets another update, is what it is now worth the money? If so, then why not?
The problem is, can I make that judgement about enjoying it even if it never gets another update in the two hour window that Steam allows me before I lose the ability to refund? A few years ago I got Factorio and in that two hour window I didn't like it, so I refunded it. I just bought it again now and I'm enjoying it since I committed to put in more than those two hours.

I've gotten my money's worth from Timberborn and I'll keep playing it as I like the concept. I just wish the devs would release it as 1.0 and post a roadmap of changes.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

2021 is not horrible relatively these days. I misread the early access note which mentioned 2018 as the start of development (but not start of EA).
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

jztemple2 wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 11:38 pm The problem is, can I make that judgement about enjoying it even if it never gets another update in the two hour window that Steam allows me before I lose the ability to refund?
Whether you can or not is not dependent on it's release status. Your comment applies as much to full release titles as it does to early access.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

When I posted the video about Update 5 I forgot to link to the article, Patch notes 2024-01-18: Update 5. It gives a lot more information on badwater and badtides, badwater engineering, plus a lot of other things that were changed or added. I've started a new playthrough of the game, but this time on another beginners map, Waterfalls.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

My current colony, with the badwater nearby :shock:

Enlarge Image
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

If you haven't played Timberborn in a while, things are going to be a bit confusing as each major update has not only added new features, but there have also been some features altered or completely removed. To provide some help with this, I'm linking the five major update announcements below, along with the date of the announcement. You don't need to read every word, skimming through the start of the article will probably be sufficient to grasp the big changes.

Update 1 Fri, December 17, 2021

Update 2 Wed, September 14, 2022

Update 3 Thu, December 15, 2022

Update 4 Wed, May 24, 2023

Update 5 Thu, January 18, 2024

By the way, because of the major changes, the official wiki is rather out of date as well. And a lot of the community guides too. And unfortunately the game doesn't include an in-game encyclopedia :(. On their Discord site there is a beginner-questions channel. However, be careful as the game has an experimental version in Steam and folks might be discussing something in that version. I'm playing the non-experimental early access version :think:
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

This is something (besides the badwater/badtides) that has caught me off-guard in Update 5, irrigation towers are gone as is the ability to make little ponds to irrigate large areas :wink:
Irrigation rework
Adding badwater and the contamination shenanigans in Update 5 prompted us to look further at the irrigation system. The resulting rework finally eliminated the two long-standing issues with this core feature of Timberborn.
  • The irrigation algorithm now takes into account the area of water bodies. Smaller water bodies irrigate smaller areas.
  • Smaller water bodies will now disappear faster.
  • The memories will live on but the two changes above finally kill the infamous Water Dump trick.
  • Removed Irrigation Tower from the game. We believe the current set of irrigation-related tools is enough for you to not miss the memiest of Timberborn buildings, so its time also has come to an end.
  • Water (or badwater) bodies with bottoms and sides entirely built with levees no longer irrigate (or contaminate) surrounding areas.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Anyone reading these posts? Just would like to know :think:

A little medical facility where a hurt beaver can recover:
Enlarge Image

Districts were one of the things that weren't handled well previously. You had to put up district gates and have separate buildings that stocked goods to be transferred between districts. This is now handled by District Crossings. Here each side of the building is staffed by workers from that district. For example, if District A has extra logs and District B needs logs, workers from District A carry excess logs from District A to the district crossing where District B workers carry them further into District B. It is all handled automatically unless the player makes adjustments through a menu.
Enlarge Image

You can also set up automatic migration between districts to keep a minimum number of kits and adults in each district. On this same screen you can also do manual migration as well.
Enlarge Image

This is a gravity battery. You can store up excess horsepower. The higher you build it, the more you can store.
Enlarge Image

When you can't put a shower on a river, just build a pond!
Enlarge Image
WYBaugh

Post by WYBaugh »

Hey JZ. I really enjoy your posts so please keep them coming. I've been excited about Timberborn but the bad water thing sounds kinda...bad?