Thinking of dumping my car... Thoughts?

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Isgrimnur

Re: HIRED!

Post by Isgrimnur »

Depends on the output dispersal. Are we talking a stream or aerosolized like a Wagner paint sprayer?
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:05 pm Depends on the output dispersal. Are we talking a stream or aerosolized like a Wagner paint sprayer?
I was thinking it would have to be powered somehow to have any real power, but even a stream would run out quick with what he's packing.
FTE
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

hepcat wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:25 pm
Hyena wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:06 pm
hepcat wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:21 am I really don't appreciate you not taking the Paste Pot Pete campaign seriously, you know.
Any publicity is good publicity, sir. I'm just trying to get his name out there.
That's a good point. Drazzil, any chance we could convince you to wear this outfit around work for a few months?

Yeah sure, but from what I hear you're going to have to give me a pretty good offer. I interview for an admin position on Monday and supposedly it pays 50% more then what I was making before I got fired at my former employer.

Also. I went in to my former employment site to hear that somewhere in the last three days they decided to shut down the store for safety reasons... Everyone's getting laid off except for my asst and whoever he decides to bring with him.

I wonder why they're deciding to shut down the store now? :think:
Daehawk wrote:Thats Drazzil's chair damnit.
Jaymann

Re: My old job site is shutting down in a month due to "safety reasons"

Post by Jaymann »

Out before the lock!
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

FishPants wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:09 am
Drazzil wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:35 pm .... And I never, EVER forgot who paid my bills. I was the level headed one.
I don't think you took any lessons away if that's your self reflection.
I was trying to communicate that when things got rough or I had trouble with something that I remembered that I was there to do a job for an employer who was paying me. So when other people blew up, got angry or quit I tended to stay level headed enough to do what was needed. This shocked even me as in the past I tended to be a bit of a hothead. I was shocked at how calm I was when the fecal matter hit the fan.

Edit for: Well yeah... Believe this or not after the fact I apologized to the DM when we were talking when I got my separation paperwork. I remember a tense shouting match but my DM remembers us having a civil conversation. I guess when my emotions start to roiling I assume that I'm more elevated then I am. I remember us yelling at eachother but I was concentrating on three different things when we were arguing about the status of the store. I don't remember much heat, just him asking me to do something that I was unwilling to do long term, and then relenting and telling DM in no uncertain terms that I wasn't going to do it again without certain things being done. So yeah, at the last I could have handed that part better.

Maybe I think I'm having trouble putting what I learned into words because I've been on an emotional rollercoaster for the last two weeks. That said, this rollercoaster is over. Im off the ride, I lost my lunch, I lost my lunch again.... I've had the dry heaves but I can drink some soda now and maybe go sit on that bench for a bit until the world stops spinning.
Last edited by Drazzil on Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Jaymann wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:53 pm Out before the lock!
:lol:
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Here's what I learned from the whole affair: If I am emotionally off balance because of something, even if I may not look or sound it, i need to take a break and figure out why and how I should handle a situation. I didn't really do that here. One "outrage" led to another until the end where I felt like I painted myself into a corner and gave my boss no choice of how to handle things. I could have been more diplomatic.

At some point maybe I should have asked myself "why"? I was working a job like that when I could have my pick of cushier gigs. I really did try (and mostly succeed) to turn a hell into a paradise though. My immediate goal was money. I wanted to get a job that would accept me and put me to work gratefully. I got that.

You know taking more time to take a break and take a breath when things go badly for me. That's I suppose what I should walk away with.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Drazzil wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:45 pm
You know taking more time to take a break and take a breath when things go badly for me. That's I suppose what I should walk away with.
:handgestures-thumbup:
Drazzil

Re: Sold some of mom's jewelry today.

Post by Drazzil »

So after sitting on a box of my mothers things for entirely too long I decided to bag up about forty pounds of wadded up balled up costume jewelry to my favorite coin shop in the world. My coin dealer took the literal 40 lbs of jewelry and untangled and tested it all and came out with almost a thousand dollars in stuff I didn't care to keep. I kept a few things of hers but all the rest of it went into the account that's going to pay for my cat's surgery and medical expenses totaling more then $1000. Since Bootsie was my mother's cat I think that she would approve. This surgery will be able to tell us more about her SEVERE breathing issues.

I sure do like my coin dealer a lot. I know he gave me fair value for what I had. I know mom would smile at what I'm using the cash on.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Why does a coin dealer buy jewelry?
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 7:54 pm Why does a coin dealer buy jewelry?
Coin dealers are often also dealers in precious metals.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 7:55 pm
Daehawk wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 7:54 pm Why does a coin dealer buy jewelry?
Coin dealers are often also dealers in precious metals.
And much less inclined to play games with weights and prices. I got the full measure of what my moms stuff was worth, and then some I suspect. Bullion/coin dealers tend to play it straight, as if they don't I think it would go over real well with some of their clients....

Edit for: Okay. let me qualify this statement. I know for a fact that my favorite coin dealer won't be able to offer the prices/margins of a place like AJPM. I could have gotten (according to the receipt I got) around 140 dollars more if I went to a huge gold/melt broker.

Would that broker have been nice enough to take an hour to wade through 40 pounds of moms jewelry to pick the wheat from the chaff? Likely not. Would he have given me the gift of a .40 oz silver commerative Canadian mint coin before he even saw what I was bringing in? Nope.

And yeah I know the routine. Charge a premium, then skim off some of the premium and give little "gifts" to the customer. Okay. But I'd rather spend my money local. My favorite coin dealer is a hell of a local.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

But that was costume stuff you said. So if it was full of diamonds you basically wouldn't get anything extra for them?
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 11:56 pm But that was costume stuff you said. So if it was full of diamonds you basically wouldn't get anything extra for them?
Okay so maybe some background is needed. My mom bought every inch of that 40 lbs of crap as real. She had a *terrible* eye for value in clothing and jewelry. She would go to the thrift stores and bring home "bargains" that were anything but. I brought my moms jewelry to the bullion guy to sift through after about a year of having my moms stuff. He found some real gold of various purities (multiple pieces in fact) and some sterling silver stuff.

I got a goodly sum of money for what I brought in. There were no real precious ems or diamonds on the stuff I sold to him.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ya, I know. I meant it wouldn't be the place to take real stuff because he would have no interest in it...so not for me unfortunately.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Or, rather, the interest would be in the materials, not the craftsmanship.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Drazzil

Re: Got my first ticket in nine years today.

Post by Drazzil »

Second ticket ever. Both from (edited) speeding... Oy. I took my attention off the speedometer for one second and that's all it took. The pullover and conversation were EXTREMELY friendly and very professional. He got me fair and square. I deserved it.

I was shocked at how far over the speed limit I was going for the conditions, which are atrocious. I thanked him for pulling me over and for the ticket. The fine is very minor and I didn't do anything reckless. Maybe the expense and the time of this will remind me to keep an eye on my speed next time. And who knows, maybe it'll spare me for something worse down the road. I'm grateful. Beaverton can have some tricky areas if you don't watch your speed.

In other news I accepted a position from 10 am to 6 pm. They're looking for an earlier position to start me at. I'm looking forward to starting my new job and establishing myself as the best worker they have, as I did with my last job. I'm thrilled to be working and that everything in my life is going so great. I'm not even disappointed that I didn't get the supervisor position. It gives me more time to learn the business and the excel. I failed a very easy easy easy test. I just forgot the specifics of how to do the analysis. The important part is the I'm working bit.
Last edited by Drazzil on Thu Feb 03, 2022 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

When I saw the revised title my first thoughts were: Airline ticket? Concert ticket? And I'm guessing you meant "from" not "for."
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Jaymann wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 5:24 pm When I saw the revised title my first thoughts were: Airline ticket? Concert ticket? And I'm guessing you meant "from" not "for."
I mean its not the kind of ticket I wanted to get, deserved or not the loss of time/money is going to sting. I also changed the title to make it clearer. I'm still grateful for it. Also totally focused on starting the job to pay for the ticket. Also the pullover reminded me I need to redo my tags.
em2nought

Re: I got a traffic ticket today

Post by em2nought »

You might be able to take traffic school in order to avoid the points on your license and increased insurance prices.
two months
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

em2nought wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 5:44 pm You might be able to take traffic school in order to avoid the points on your license and increased insurance prices.
I doubt the addition of a single point will affect my rate in any significant way. Even for a good driver discount. I will take traffic school when it is offered anyway. Traffic school isn't great but if you do it online you can finish in about three hours, and TBH I wouldn't mind the brush up. I enjoyed traffic school the first two times I did it (I don't count my red light ticket 15 years ago, that was bullshit*) and am looking forward to doing it again.

* I got a City of San Bernardino red light traffic ticket years ago and paid it and went to traffic school, only to find out years later that the way the tickets were implemented was illegal, so SB threw up their hands and said "Oh the tickets were voluntary anyway" and declared bankruptcy after themselves.... Motherfuckers.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Jaymann wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 5:24 pm When I saw the revised title my first thoughts were: Airline ticket? Concert ticket? And I'm guessing you meant "from" not "for."
Now I'm interested though, why "from speeding" not "for speeding"?

I got a traffic ticket for speeding, because I sped.

Am I overlooking a rule of English here or was there something else I'm missing out on? (Like I missed my fucking speedometer apparently :shock: )

I suppose I could have said "I got a speeding ticket" and instantly everyone would have known what I meant. But I decided to be all wordy, and now everyone's confused.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Drazzil wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 6:52 pm

Am I overlooking a rule of English here or was there something else I'm missing out on? (Like I missed my fucking speedometer apparently :shock: )

I suppose I could have said "I got a speeding ticket" and instantly everyone would have known what I meant. But I decided to be all wordy, and now everyone's confused.
And who knows, maybe it'll spare me for from something worse down the road.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Jaymann wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 6:56 pm

:shock: :think: :clap: :D
stessier

Post by stessier »

I think in this case, both "for" and "from" are correct because the action and infraction have the same name.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Pretty sure that’s acceptable phraseology.

As in…
“So mean he once shot a man just for snoring…”

Or, ‘ he was arrested for drunk driving. ‘
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

In fact, I’d don’t think I’ve ever heard someone say “I got a ticket from speeding.”
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Yep. Here's my sign!
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Unagi wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 7:24 pm In fact, I’d don’t think I’ve ever heard someone say “I got a ticket from speeding.”
I think this is the quote he's referring to:
maybe it'll spare me for something worse down the road.

That's saying that the traffic ticket saved me and now I'm going to get in a worse situation down the road... Or commit an even worse act down the road.

It's my bitter bitter tortured English.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

I forgot Jay, you're right nearby me aren't you? Yes, it really could save us both from something worse down the road.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Drazzil wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 7:59 pm

I forgot Jay, you're right nearby me aren't you? Yes, it really could save us both from something worse down the road.
Well I suppose if you drive more carefully it could infinitesimally reduce the chances of you T-boning me.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Jaymann wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 8:14 pm
Drazzil wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 7:59 pm

Well I suppose if you drive more carefully it could infinitesimally reduce the chances of you T-boning me.
Statistically speaking you'd have a better chance of my rear ending you. Both accidents I've had have been rear end accidents, although minor. I'd say I don't blow stoplights very often and when I do, I blow my horn as far as I can in advance if its completely unavoidable. I've only run into two situations where that happened to me and both times people knew I was coming thru long before I did.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

At least you didn't get the ticket while you were working.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Alefroth wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 8:40 pm At least you didn't get the ticket while you were working.
I'm not going to be driving people, just parking cars. But now that you mention it. Yes.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

The last ticket I got was for DWS.

…Driving While Sexy
He won. Period.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Drazzil wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 7:50 pm
Unagi wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 7:24 pm In fact, I’d don’t think I’ve ever heard someone say “I got a ticket from speeding.”

That's saying that the traffic ticket saved me and now I'm going to get in a worse situation down the road... Or commit an even worse act down the road.

Oh yeah, sorry. That’s garbage
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Unagi wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 11:57 pm
Drazzil wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 7:50 pm

Oh yeah, sorry. That’s garbage
Which part? The crack about getting in worse trouble down the road or my bitter bitter tortured English? What I meant was sometimes I mix up my tenses. I don't really torture English bitterly, I was just being self depreciating. Or do you mean the ticket and the story? Or did you just wanna poke me in the eye because you don't like my posting style?

I'm a little confused.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

I’m just agreeing with the word choice being off.
I’m trying not to think too much about your ticket.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Unagi wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 8:53 am I’m just agreeing with the word choice being off.
I’m trying not to think too much about your ticket.
Ahh I see. I took it another way. Sorry. And don't think too much about the ticket. I'm not. I'm going to take care of it and that's it
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

1) What's your new job, I don't remember seeing what it is?

2) Regarding the ticket you should have claimed to be a sovereign citizen, a free man of the land. That would have been fun :)
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton