Thinking of dumping my car... Thoughts?

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

hepcat

Re: FIRED!

Post by hepcat »

I was fired from my first job after college because I mistook the term “flex hours” to mean “I’ll come in 4 hours a week for a few months”.
He won. Period.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I was a janitor in a pipe warehouse. Part of my job was cleaning the office and the office rest rooms. I was fine with the warehouse part, but the women's rest room was never spotless enough for them. I got bitched at for not dusting the air vent grid. Then one day they set a trap for me. They put a small scrap of toilet paper behind the toilet pedestal, and it sat there for THREE DAYS before I finally swept it away. I was so happy when they fired me and said "Tell the unemployment people whatever you want."

I just wasn't janitor material. I had dozens of menial jobs but always left them on my terms.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

I see Drazzil has made good use of all the Octopus Overlord advice over the years.

I wonder how many people make a good living off of suing their ex-employers? :think:

https://www.findlaw.com/legalblogs/smal ... -lawsuits/
Technically, he shouldn't be here.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Freyland wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:22 pm
RunningMn9 wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:19 pm
Alefroth wrote:But now he knows how things work. You can't put a price tag on that.

It's just another step up the ladder.
Is that where the coins come in? Is that the price tag?
Envision a Sonic the Hedgehog game and the coins fit nicely.
(rings, not coins)
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I've been fired twice. Both times before I turned 20, one deserved. The other wasn't, but it did teach me just how expendable unskilled minimum wage employees are. I didn't do anything objectively wrong, but I was mildly inconvenient one time by coming to work directly from school and realizing just before I got there that I'd left my uniform in my locker. It was my second day on my first proper job, and they fired me on the spot. They probably filled my position before the door closed on my way out. (It was Burger King, by the way.)
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Drazzil wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:14 pm You know what I realize about this place? I'm not saying I am but I could have come in TOTALLY blameless and prolly get the same kind of treatment. Too much ingrained behavior on both sides. I don't think this back and forth is doing either side any good.
That's really unfair and load of crap. People on this board have done nothing but again and again tried to encourage you, give you good advice, and yes, sometime kick your butt when you did something stupid (which you yourself have admitted that you needed any number of times). The idea that people here are against you no matter what you do is ludicrous and, in fact, insulting to the vast majority of people who have tried to encourage and help you through the years. You apparently still have a lot of growing up to do.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

hitbyambulance wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:51 pm
Freyland wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:22 pm
Alefroth wrote:But now he knows how things work. You can't put a price tag on that.

Envision a Sonic the Hedgehog game and the coins fit nicely.
(rings, not coins)
But the Sonic part really makes it work, don't you think?
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

The coins are a lie. There are no coins. You be trippin'.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Grifman wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:07 am
Drazzil wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:14 pm You know what I realize about this place? I'm not saying I am but I could have come in TOTALLY blameless and prolly get the same kind of treatment. Too much ingrained behavior on both sides. I don't think this back and forth is doing either side any good.
That's really unfair and load of crap. People on this board have done nothing but again and again tried to encourage you, give you good advice, and yes, sometime kick your butt when you did something stupid (which you yourself have admitted that you needed any number of times). The idea that people here are against you no matter what you do is ludicrous and, in fact, insulting to the vast majority of people who have tried to encourage and help you through the years. You apparently still have a lot of growing up to do.
He won. Period.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Drazzil wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:51 pmI've had armed people come in and threaten my life when I ask them to wear a mask.
Not robbers, just MAGAts. If you don't try to tell them what to do, or make eye contact, or act or talk like a liberal, or be non-white, they are mostly harmless. Assholes, but mostly harmless.

Unless you're American democracy, then yeah, very harmy.
Last edited by Carpet_pissr on Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Drazzil wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:01 pm I learn a lesson and move forward,
Now we're getting into it. Are you SURE you learned a lesson? What was it? Are the lessons the same one every time this has happened in the past (you refer to multiple lessons learned)? I'm beginning to suspect the "learning" from these lessons is not helping you. Or maybe you are learning (and re-learning, re-inforcing), the wrong lesson?

I seriously am not trying to be preachy here, because Lord knows I have my own problems. LORD. KNOWS. :D

Just trying to get you to perhaps shift your perspective enough to see things differently than you typically do. That way lies growth (as in, positive, personal development growth, not negative, cancerous tumor growth) IMO. I say that sincerely, because I have had more than a few instances where I was deep in it, and it took someone outside of me saying "hey man, from where *I'M* standing, here is what things look like." And that view was VERY different from my own...so different it seemed we were talking about two different things. That could be the case here.

Also, maybe I am misunderstanding, but
1. You said you learned your (a) lesson in this particular episode, which USUALLY indicates that a person has somehow made a mistake, and learned from it. Maybe it doesn't here?
2. You also seem to claim you are not at fault here (thus the lawsuit), so which is it?

It CAN be both, but usually isn't, which is why I am asking for clarification. To wit, the lesson you learned could be "NEVER WORK AT A CONVENIENCE STORE", which could still fit with 2. above. But I dont' get that sense.
Last edited by Carpet_pissr on Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
Roman

Post by Roman »

Yup! This %110.
He just locked the door on all of us (like he did to the DM) and took his toys and went home.
Post in a public forum and be prepared for public feedback.
While feeding all the beasties out back I let a nice big fart. The smell followed all the way back to the house. It's like it was my baby and felt abandoned.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

+1 for carpet_pissr's truth bomb. Well, for both of his past two posts, each a bomb in its own right.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Zaxxon wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:55 am +1 for carpet_pissr's truth bomb. Well, for both of his past two posts, each a bomb in its own right.
Of course. A lot of stuffs been posted here and I'm going to do you guys the respect of sifting through it.
Daehawk wrote:Thats Drazzil's chair damnit.
dobberhd

Post by dobberhd »

Zaxxon wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:55 am +1 for carpet_pissr's truth bomb. Well, for both of his past two posts, each a bomb in its own right.
Well said. I don't think growth mindset is compatible with victim mindset.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

dobberhd wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:23 pm victim mindset.
Combined with an absolute unwillingness to consider any viewpoint other than his own, or to accept personal responsibility.

If, at any point, he chooses that something is true, it's true, and nothing will budge him. And when that blows up in his face, it's always someone else's fault.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:31 pm
Combined with an absolute unwillingness to consider any viewpoint other than his own, or to accept personal responsibility.

If, at any point, he chooses that something is true, it's true, and nothing will budge him. And when that blows up in his face, it's always someone else's fault.
Enlarge Image
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

I've purposely stayed out of posting in this thread for the most part because after a while I see the pattern of rinse and repeat. The closed minded victim mindset, lesson learned then lesson forgotten.

Sure there are some harsh words in here, but they are not untrue, even if harsh to read them. The world does not revolve around you, you need some diversity in your viewpoints besides yourself. I learned this lesson also and took it to heart. Something may appear one way to me, and I am positive I am right, and then someone steps in and offers another viewpoint and realize I may not be right. That has led me to new places when I kept my mind open to others viewpoints.

I deal with engineers like this occasionally who feel high and mighty about their position, because I'm budget and they are technical, and they feel they know everything about everything,too hard headed to admit they're wrong, and it ends up delaying projects because they wanted to do it their way instead of the right way.

So Draz, yes you did have some valid points about concerns on the job, but your handling it was not ideal to say the least and i would have fired you also. Hopefully you REALLY do have lessons learned this time that you will actual put into practice but history.......

One thing I practice that I learned 25 years ago, is when I'm mad or upset, take 10 deep breathes, relax and think before responding.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
stessier

Post by stessier »

Lassr wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:50 pm Something may appear one way to me, and I am positive I am right, and then someone steps in and offers another viewpoint and realize I may not be right. That has led me to new places when I kept my mind open to others viewpoints.
This is probably going to sound really stupid, but the Werewolf games taught me this lesson. Scary that I'm able to applying gaming knowledge to real life, but there you have it.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

stessier wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:55 pm
Lassr wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:50 pm Something may appear one way to me, and I am positive I am right, and then someone steps in and offers another viewpoint and realize I may not be right. That has led me to new places when I kept my mind open to others viewpoints.
This is probably going to sound really stupid, but the Werewolf games taught me this lesson. Scary that I'm able to applying gaming knowledge to real life, but there you have it.
This is true for me also.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Roman wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:52 am
Yup! This %110.
He just locked the door on all of us (like he did to the DM) and took his toys and went home.
Post in a public forum and be prepared for public feedback.
Also want to agree with this. I don't how many times the past 20 years as a parent I have made my kids mad at me because of my decisions, but those decisions were not made because I'm an uncaring asshole, it is because I love and care for my kids. If anything I know about this forum is it is like an extended family and I genuinely care about everyone on here and I know most others feel the same. So harsh words to you about your behavior, but not because we want to hold an adversarial point of view, because we hope to help you. I do care.

Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

The opposite of love is not hate, it's indifference. - Elie Wiesel

If we didn't give a shit, Drazzil, we wouldn't reply.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Lassr wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:50 pm
One thing I practice that I learned 25 years ago, is when I'm mad or upset, take 10 deep breathes, relax and think before responding.
My life coach recommendeds only counting to 4.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

the MAGAt mindset
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

hitbyambulance wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:51 pm

the MAGAt mindset
I hear you all. I've got things working on my end as well. I read everything and should have more news in a few days.
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

:pop:
FTE
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

What's the definition of insanity again?

And I'm not talking about Drazzil, but rather us thinking we're going to help.
dobberhd

Post by dobberhd »

[/quote]

the MAGAt mindset
[/quote]

I disagree. Even though this forum leans heavily to the left, some of us are conservative.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

McNutt wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:18 am What's the definition of insanity again?

And I'm not talking about Drazzil, but rather us thinking we're going to help.
Believe this or not, I did take what you guys told me to heart. I'm still stewing and digesting what you told me. I already know I DEFINITELY could have handled it better, regardless of how I decided to deal with the issue. That's a given. Whatever else by my pigheadedness I earned my spot in this situation. This smacks of self sabotage at the least. I could have kept my mouth shut, lined up my ducks and extracted myself with grace by the end of the week.

Right or wrong? This decision cost me money. I could have been out of that job and in on a new one by the end of the week. What I did was stupid. Why I did it? Jury's out.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

dobberhd wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:40 am

the MAGAt mindset
I disagree. Even though this forum leans heavily to the left, some of us are conservative.
conservative and maga don't have to be one and the same. i'm just sayin'. hopefully more and more people jump on that bandwagon as time goes on and realize extremism isn't necessary.
He won. Period.
dobberhd

Post by dobberhd »

hepcat wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:19 pm

the MAGAt mindset
conservative and maga don't have to be one and the same. i'm just sayin'. hopefully more and more people jump on that bandwagon as time goes on and realize extremism isn't necessary.
I agree, they are not the same. While I don't like Donald Trump's personality, I do think what he move toward politically were/are good for our country. I do wish both parties could find better candidates that are capable of being collegial. But the swamp might be too think for that.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

dobberhd wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:56 pm

the MAGAt mindset
I agree, they are not the same. While I don't like Donald Trump's personality, I do think what he move toward politically were/are good for our country. I do wish both parties could find better candidates that are capable of being collegial. But the swamp might be too think for that.
Then I'd have to say you are both conservative and MAGA, if all you don't like about Trump is his personality.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

the MAGAt mindset
For me, anecdotally, it's about 50/50. Meaning of all the people I know that are politically on the right, about half are Trumpers, or at least support him and vote for him (no Capitol stormers that I know of), and the other half are merely "quiet" conservatives, and despise him (and what he did to their more moderate party, before he came along and wrecked it).

It's also no surprise that if you forced me to assign an intelligence or wisdom score from 1-24 to each individual in the aggregate group of "conservatives", well..... :P Let's just say that no Trumpers would be magic users if ya know what I mean. :teasing-dunce: :teasing-dunce:
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

the MAGAt mindset
it's a shorthand way of referencing a certain way of being in the world. i'm referring to a non-reflective, non-introspective mindset that is incapable of neither admitting being or doing wrong _when they actually are wrong_ or accepting responsibility ('it's everyone else who is wrong!") this is outside of any sort of political affiliation, but _does_ manifest in the more hardline, rigid ways of seeing the world.

i have learned that, as a consequence, people who think this way also tend to create their own reality if 'real' reality does not line up with their rigid belief system, and there is not really a tendency to be open to new evidence and discoveries that would challenge deeply held worldviews. this then leads to rejecting empirical evidence and, politically speaking, hewing to the 'party' line and affecting total tribal affiliation and absolute loyalty to their 'side' no matter what else happens.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

I think MAGA is a subset of conservative. I'd be surprised if it intersected the liberal set at all.

But this is probably getting too R&P for Drazzil's diary.
Last edited by Alefroth on Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

@carpet_pissr
Bards and Warlocks use charisma for their spell casting ability though.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

dobberhd wrote:I agree, they are not the same. While I don't like Donald Trump's personality, I do think what he move toward politically were/are good for our country.
I feel like this is even worse. At least the people taken in by the cult of personality are blinded by that. To not be in the cult and still not see how destructive he was and what a terrible path he took this country down politically. Yikes.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Alefroth wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:31 pm I think MAGA is a subset of conservative. I'd be surprised if it intersected the liberal set at all.

But this is probably getting to R&P for Drazzil's diary.
It'd make a kind of perverse sense if my thread got dragged into R&P.
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

Drazzil wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:48 pm
Alefroth wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:31 pm I think MAGA is a subset of conservative. I'd be surprised if it intersected the liberal set at all.

But this is probably getting to R&P for Drazzil's diary.
It'd make a kind of perverse sense if my thread got dragged into R&P.
That might be the most sane thing Drazzil has said in this thread. Please knock off the politics and get back to the drazzyness that this thread deserves.
FTE
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Yes, I was just going to suggest that we move the R&P talk to the R&P forum if anyone wishes to continue.
That's my purse! I don't know you!