Thinking of dumping my car... Thoughts?

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

hepcat

Re: I need new furniture

Post by hepcat »

YellowKing wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:35 pm
hepcat wrote:Is this just a multi-use thread now?
Sure, why not.
Oh, I wasn’t complaining. I just found it humorous that the thread title keeps changing.
He won. Period.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

stessier wrote:It probably helps that you're in the same state where most of it is made.
We also bought it from Ashley, and they make their own furniture. I got REALLY down in the weeds with Ashley Furniture because with the move to the new house we bought a ton of stuff from them. I talked to the local store manager and he said that the president of the company had been doing a lot of wheeling and dealing to open up new supply avenues - to the point of building new pop-up factories to get stuff manufactured quicker.

*Editor's Note: This is not an advertisement for Ashley Furniture, it's just the one store I've dealt with the most after the past few months. I've learned WAY more than I ever wanted to know about the furniture industry thanks to a very talkative sales team. :D
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Drazzil wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 3:49 pm Both the recliner function handles on my sofa are dead. Time for new furniture!

I need someone to take away the old and assemble the new. Where do I go?
Or DIY!
Easy replacing the broken recliner’s back cable

Turn the chair entirely upside down
Now, unscrew the four bolts embedded on the footrest as well as two holding the squab attached to the frame
Simply remove the squab to get the cable replaced
Hook in two screws that hold the squab firmly to the frame and tighten them up
Insert the four bolts back to the footrest and tighten them gently, AND you are done!
Google isn't your friend, but it will work. DuckDuckGo is actually your friend! (and yes, I need to do this as well.)
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Nah. This furniture was mostly shit when I had it brought and assembled two years ago for 200 dollars. Literally the crap that someone scraped off the street. It served me well for three years but now that Im employed I'm going to replace it piece by piece. Starting with the couch, moving to the coffee table and then that's it. The rest of the stuff still has life in it.
Daehawk wrote:Thats Drazzil's chair damnit.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Drazzil wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 6:17 pm Nah. This furniture was mostly shit when I had it brought and assembled two years ago for 200 dollars. Literally the crap that someone scraped off the street. It served me well for three years but now that Im employed I'm going to replace it piece by piece. Starting with the couch, moving to the coffee table and then that's it. The rest of the stuff still has life in it.
Including Drazzil's Chair? ;)
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Pyperkub wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 6:18 pm
Drazzil wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 6:17 pm Nah. This furniture was mostly shit when I had it brought and assembled two years ago for 200 dollars. Literally the crap that someone scraped off the street. It served me well for three years but now that Im employed I'm going to replace it piece by piece. Starting with the couch, moving to the coffee table and then that's it. The rest of the stuff still has life in it.
Including Drazzil's Chair? ;)
Drazzil regretfully had to leave the chair behind... mourned to this day. Shoulda dumped the TV's and saved the chair. I have a new chair now. Leather recliner included in the 200 lot. Lots of bounce left in it and despite the sides being shredded by Mr. Duchess and a mysterious dried out cat terd left in the seat I think the new chair might give me another 1-3 years.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

That’s no longer Drazzil’s chair.
Damn it.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Unagi wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 6:39 pm That’s no longer Drazzil’s chair.
Damn it.
lol.
Montag

Post by Montag »

Goodwill may surprise you.
words
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Ikea has cheap shit that might serve your purpose.
Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Jeff V wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 7:41 pm Ikea has cheap shit that might serve your purpose.
It's pretty good quality shit. The one piece that I put together took me two days because of the pictogram instructions, but the materials are good and they're machined to exact tolerances. It's not flimsy disposable furniture.
Hamlet3145

Post by Hamlet3145 »

Kraken wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 10:07 pm
Jeff V wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 7:41 pm Ikea has cheap shit that might serve your purpose.
It's pretty good quality shit. The one piece that I put together took me two days because of the pictogram instructions, but the materials are good and they're machined to exact tolerances. It's not flimsy disposable furniture.
I bought my bedroom furniture there. Quite happy with it though I agree it was a bit of a pain in the ass to put together.

Also, if you go to Ikea you can have Swedish meatballs for lunch in the cafeteria. So, there is that too.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Ikea is also not particularly cheap.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

hepcat wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 7:58 am
Sure, why not.
Oh, I wasn’t complaining. I just found it humorous that the thread title keeps changing.
It's not the first time we've had a thread that's just a running blog of Drazzil's trials and tribulations with an ever changing thread title. Remember the job search thread?
Hodor.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

No, Ikea is pretty cheap shit. I bought a desk chair from them once, it lasted less than a year. You might find cheaper at Walmart, but by and large, there stuff is cheap, cheap, cheap. I was there a few weeks ago, they didn't have in stock or in color the shoe rack my wife wanted (so...Amazon). But I did buy a $3 frying pan because I needed a new egg pan. Did I mention cheap? It'll last until my wife decides to burn something in it. After 3 weeks of use it's still in pristine condition, because I only use it for eggs.

Don't get me wrong, I like Ikea because when it comes to things where quality doesn't matter, it's one of the go-to stores. Except for desk chairs. I felt burned by that one.
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

But man, those meatballs.
He won. Period.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

IKEA was the only place we could find a simple curio cabinet that didn't cost hundreds of dollars. I grew up with them and never considered them particularly "premium" or fancy, but the cheapest one elsewhere was a dinged-up floor model for $400. Got one at IKEA for $99, and it's awesome.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

And don't forget the Kallax shelves. I know I'm not the only one using them for board games. I wouldn't call them cheap. I expect mine to last for many many many years. Though, I suppose if I used them as a climbing wall, then they might degrade a bit.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Just a note - if you're nowhere near an Ikea (like me), Walmart sells the Better Homes & Gardens version of the Kallax that are the same dimensions. I bought four of the 8-cube versions for my game storage and they work like a champ.
FishPants
Server WhOOre

Post by FishPants »

Jeff V wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 7:03 pm No, Ikea is pretty cheap shit. I bought a desk chair from them once, it lasted less than a year. You might find cheaper at Walmart, but by and large, there stuff is cheap, cheap, cheap. I was there a few weeks ago, they didn't have in stock or in color the shoe rack my wife wanted (so...Amazon). But I did buy a $3 frying pan because I needed a new egg pan. Did I mention cheap? It'll last until my wife decides to burn something in it. After 3 weeks of use it's still in pristine condition, because I only use it for eggs.

Don't get me wrong, I like Ikea because when it comes to things where quality doesn't matter, it's one of the go-to stores. Except for desk chairs. I felt burned by that one.
I think it varies depending on the line. Looked at some kitchen counters there for a standup desk top, and found that a percentage of them were hollow core honeycomb) while others were solid; and ironically the pricing wasn't even all that much different. I have NO idea how to gauge what line is of lower quality, maybe it's the number of consonants strung together?
No.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

So all of the furniture disposal companies wanted around $200 to dispose of one couch. An acquaintance recommended craigslist. So I ran down the list till I found the "man with a van". I took a picture of the dead couch. Text quote comes back as 85. Yeah sure. Then he says he wants 100, okay, fine. Then immediately responds 125. I'm like nope.

I arrange a guy to do the couch for 150. Then like three hours later van man texts me back and is like "You found someone cheaper?" An I'm like "Nah I found someone to do it to do it for 150 tomorrow, cause you increased the price twice before you even showed up. What if you decided you wanted more? You seem to be a headache I don't feel like dealing with"

Van man's like "100" and I'm like "On two conditions: 1. I don't pay you till you guys and the couch are outta the building. 2. No price increases.

He responds with a time.

So the two guys from man with a van show up. They park without paying parking. Despite the ticket on another person's car right around the corner. They say they're gonna be quick. I offer to pay, they decline.

The van dudes follow me up to the apt get in and think they can get it down without disassembling it. The vanites load the couch into their van. I pay the 100 and tip them 15. I get handed a religious tract.

Oh oh, Its a cult.

I just hired cultists to dispose of my couch, Fuck.
hepcat

Re: I may have hired cultists to dispose of my couch.

Post by hepcat »

I’ve always wondered why I’ve never been recruited by a cult. Am I not pretty enough? Do I give off a “no cult for me” vibe? I think I’d make a great cult member. I’d even make my own robes and special hat. I’d attend all the midnight worship events and I wouldn’t even ask who we’re worshipping. I’d just be happy to be included.

But no…no cult for me. I feel like nobody loves me. :(
He won. Period.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

And now they know where you live.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Could have just sat it on the corner and someone would have dragged it off.
Last edited by Daehawk on Fri Nov 19, 2021 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

hepcat wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:39 pm I’ve always wondered why I’ve never been recruited by a cult. Am I not pretty enough? Do I give off a “no cult for me” vibe? I think I’d make a great cult member. I’d even make my own robes and special hat. I’d attend all the midnight worship events and I wouldn’t even ask who we’re worshipping. I’d just be happy to be included.

I think that may have been the purpose of the text game. To see how suggestable and gullible I was.
malchior

Post by malchior »

hepcat wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:39 pmBut no…no cult for me. I feel like nobody loves me. :(
I've got two courting me. One is sending my wife and I handwritten letters. Want me to give them a referral?
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Daehawk wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:44 pm Could have just sat it on the corner ans someone would have dragged it off.
Didn't know it was possible to get out the door whole and into the elevator to boot, otherwise I might have taken a stab at dumping it. I'm not gonna lie.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

malchior wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:46 pm
hepcat wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:39 pmBut no…no cult for me. I feel like nobody loves me. :(
I've got two courting me. One is sending my wife and I handwritten letters. Want me to give them a referral?
Now that’s class. No one takes the time to hand write manifestos anymore. It’s all just emails or video taped assertions that Zontar is arriving on Earth in 2024 and he won’t be taking anyone back to Uranus who isn’t wearing a purple diaper on that day.

That’s what I want from a cult leader. That little extra something that tells me “you’re wanted”. Sure, it’s for a human sacrifice to an effigy of Patrick Duffy made out of dried elephant dung, but damn it…it’s something.
He won. Period.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

hepcat wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:57 pm
malchior wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:46 pm
Now that’s class. No one takes the time to hand write manifestos anymore. It’s all just emails or video taped assertions that Zontar is arriving on Earth in 2024 and he won’t be taking anyone back to Uranus who isn’t wearing a purple diaper on that day.

That’s what I want from a cult leader. That little extra something that tells me “you’re wanted”. Sure, it’s for a human sacrifice to an effigy of Patrick Duffy made out of dried elephant dung, but damn it…it’s something.
:D
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Being a member of a cult I would have charged more. And left a curse.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

hepcat wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:39 pm I’ve always wondered why I’ve never been recruited by a cult. Am I not pretty enough? Do I give off a “no cult for me” vibe? I think I’d make a great cult member. I’d even make my own robes and special hat. I’d attend all the midnight worship events and I wouldn’t even ask who we’re worshipping. I’d just be happy to be included.

Just because you would make your own robes doesn't mean they don't insist you wear pants.
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
Hrothgar

Post by Hrothgar »

Draz,

Taint heard nothing about your health recently. I presume all's well that ends well.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Freyland wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 11:19 pm

Just because you would make your own robes doesn't mean they don't insist you wear pants.
I haven't been keeping up on fashion in cults lately. My subscription to CQ (Cultist's Quarterly) lapsed a while back as the dream of being abducted into a cult started to become less and less likely as I became older and less attractive to most of the Doomsday and other religious cults. Really, the only chance I have now is if Yellowking decides to get off his ass and start that cult he's always talking about. The one that believes Halley's Comet is actually piloted by Alf and that the show that was on TV all those years ago was, in reality, a documentary.

But his funding fell through shortly after every bank he talked to said no. There was some interest from a private equity firm calling itself Zaxxon Inc, but I have a sneaking suspicion someone was just messing with him.
He won. Period.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Sex cults are hard to get into. And they dont go soft on you once in.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Sex cults usually don’t offer furniture moving services, I’ve discovered.
He won. Period.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Hrothgar wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 1:30 am Draz,

Taint heard nothing about your health recently. I presume all's well that ends well.
Doing ok in that regard. No real further issue.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

hepcat wrote:Sex cults usually don’t offer furniture moving services, I’ve discovered.
But oddly, swing installation is one of their top services.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Sure, why not.
I like title changes, let's me know when something is happening :)
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Grifman wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 11:39 pm
Sure, why not.
I like title changes, let's me know when something is happening :)
Confines the mess to one thread.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Maybe I should go into the disposal racket. :think:
Stop funding for NPR