[PC/PS4/PS5] Deathloop

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

malchior

[PC/PS4/PS5] Deathloop

Post by malchior »

Anyone else tracking this? Drops Tuesday.

TheMix

Re: [PC/PS4/PS5] Deathloop

Post by TheMix »

Huh...

Dishonored meats Bioshock meets Doom meets ???

I won't be getting it right away, but I'll start watching it.

Edit:
DEATHLOOP is a next-gen FPS from Arkane Lyon, the award-winning studio behind Dishonored.
Well okay then. At least I was getting the right vibes. :D

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

That looks really interesting. I'll be looking for some reviews.
JCC

Post by JCC »

I would much rather be getting Dishonored 3, but yes I am interested. I really don't like the reset mechanic (I am not sure I have liked it in ANY game) but more Dishonored like gameplay is hard to resist. The one or two previews I watched/read were very promising.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

JCC wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 3:17 pm I would much rather be getting Dishonored 3, but yes I am interested. I really don't like the reset mechanic (I am not sure I have liked it in ANY game) but more Dishonored like gameplay is hard to resist. The one or two previews I watched/read were very promising.
Dishonored was fine, but I'm interested in more Prey style gameplay. That was a fantastic game.
JCC

Post by JCC »

gbasden wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 3:23 pm Dishonored was fine, but I'm interested in more Prey style gameplay. That was a fantastic game.
Ironically, I have tried multiple times and just haven't been able to get into Prey. Arkane + System Shock like game should be a honey pot for me. But, it just hasn't clicked with me. I need to give it a 7th or 8th try and see if I can get hooked.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

JCC wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 3:17 pm I really don't like the reset mechanic (I am not sure I have liked it in ANY game)
This is me. Redoing/replaying/rewinding in games is not my bag. I'll watch for reviews or more game play videos, but i don't think this game is for me.
Ironically, I have tried multiple times and just haven't been able to get into Prey.
One of the best games of the last decade, imho. It does take a bit to get going, but at a certain point in the story it all just comes together and it went from a "eh" game to a classic for me. But I'm really not into Dishonored and I gave up after multiple attempts at Dishonored 2, so I totally get that sometimes a game just doesn't click.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
malchior

Post by malchior »

I'm the type of player who tries all the different variation of assassinations doing the missions in the Hitman series. I also don't hate the idea of the resets and am curious how it'll play out.

I liked all of the Arkane games so that is a positive for me as well. I totally agree on Prey. It was wonderful. I have positive hopes for it so I'll have to report out once it unlocks.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I will def be checking it out. I almost preordered this morning but am trying to break that habit. I need to finish up my run through Nioh anyway.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Reemul

Post by Reemul »

Everyone else seems to like it, maybe it's just not his cuppa tea.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I successfully managed to NOT preorder, I just bought it this morning and got in a couple hours. I got through the main tutorial stuff and the first full day. I am *still* getting tutorial prompts. There is a lot going on here.
Smoove_B wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:13 pm
JCC wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 3:17 pm I really don't like the reset mechanic (I am not sure I have liked it in ANY game)
This is me. Redoing/replaying/rewinding in games is not my bag. I'll watch for reviews or more game play videos, but i don't think this game is for me.
So far it really doesn't feel like replaying, at least in the initial days there are different objectives that you are completing that are opening new paths, missions, objectives. It's not really the same thing over and over.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Smoove_B wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:13 pm One of the best games of the last decade, imho. It does take a bit to get going, but at a certain point in the story it all just comes together and it went from a "eh" game to a classic for me.
I remember trying Prey ages ago (as part of a double-pack with Dishonored, I think), but didn't get very far into it before bailing because it felt like a very basic standard shooter. Maybe I need to give it another look.

Deathloop doesn't look particularly interesting to me...maybe on a Steam sale down the road.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Skinypupy wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:59 am
Smoove_B wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:13 pm One of the best games of the last decade, imho. It does take a bit to get going, but at a certain point in the story it all just comes together and it went from a "eh" game to a classic for me.
I remember trying Prey ages ago, but didn't get very far into it before bailing because it felt like a pretty standard shooter. Maybe I need to give it another look.
I am trying to understand how Prey could be perceived in such a manner at all. Shooting is like the thing you do least in the game.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

coopasonic wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:01 pm
Skinypupy wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:59 am
I remember trying Prey ages ago, but didn't get very far into it before bailing because it felt like a pretty standard shooter. Maybe I need to give it another look.
I am trying to understand how Prey could be perceived in such a manner at all. Shooting is like the thing you do least in the game.
I honestly don't remember much about it at all, other than the fact it didn't click. Maybe it was something else entirely.

Reinstalling it on PS4 now...
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Yeah, I could def see it not clicking, it didn't for me until the second time around, but not because it was a standard shooter. It's much more akin to Alien Isolation with a side of Control.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I really enjoyed Prey, but I'm a sucker in Metroidvania type games in pretty much any format. I also got the Prey DLC but didn't end up getting very far in that. But from a very cursory glance, it seems like Deathloop has some similarities with the DLC.
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Got my first CTD after about 3 hours of play. :( Was just looking at discoveries to plan my next day which is the first day you actually get to choose (woo!).
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
JCC

Post by JCC »

I got this today as well. I have done the first 3 missions. I had one lockup in the first mission - which showcases the problem with this game. You can't save. No save slots, no quicksaves. This is a HORRIBLE idea. Even if they just gave you one save slot. But really they should just let you save exactly as much as you want - like ALL of their other games. Basically, your game is saved at the start of each segment of the day. So, if you have a lockup or lose all 3 of your lives - you get to start all over. For a game where it's built in that you are going to replay the same areas over and over - I do not approve. Both Dishonored games and Prey let you save - damnit this game should too. At least your 3 lives get reset every time you move from one point of the day to the next.

I do like the fact that your objectives will change each time you replay through the same day. (I haven't seen this yet, but it seems obvious.) This makes the loop more tolerable. It feels like this is doing the replay/reset in a way that is pretty different.

The whole premise and the dynamic between the main 2 characters is great. I love Colt and Julianna. The prologue is quite trippy! Very intrigued by the setting/story. And of course the gameplay is very much like Dishonored. I haven't yet got any of the powers, but the stealth/combat/movement feels very similar. I assume, I will like this game very much. But I hope the lack of a manual/quick save doesn't sour me on it - especially if I have more lockups/crashes. They should really patch this in.
Black Lives Matter

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

JCC wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:58 pm I got this today as well. I have done the first 3 missions. I had one lockup in the first mission - which showcases the problem with this game. You can't save. No save slots, no quicksaves. This is a HORRIBLE idea. Even if they just gave you one save slot. But really they should just let you save exactly as much as you want - like ALL of their other games. Basically, your game is saved at the start of each segment of the day. So, if you have a lockup or lose all 3 of your lives - you get to start all over. For a game where it's built in that you are going to replay the same areas over and over - I do not approve.
Good gosh, that sounds horrible. Maybe they will patch in saves...
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
JCC

Post by JCC »

jztemple2 wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:29 pm
JCC wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:58 pm I got this today as well. I have done the first 3 missions. I had one lockup in the first mission - which showcases the problem with this game. You can't save. No save slots, no quicksaves.
I wouldn't go so far as to say horrible - yet. But, I still don't approve of no saves.

So, I didn't have any other lockups/crashes today which is good. I understand WHY they did this given the nature of the game's gimmick, but I still think it's short sighted. Player choice is always a good thing. I also think it's weird to not have a difficulty setting. I almost always play stuff on Easy these days (unless it's too easy - which is rare for me). I am failing a lot in this game - which is OK, but I would always prefer to have the choice of quicksaving/quickloading - and the other Arkane games I played had that. I don't like it when devs think their gameplay mechanic is so sancrosanct that they deny player choice by taking away a feature that is common place and they have offered before.

Again, all that said, I am enjoying the game a lot. It sure isn't easy, but I haven't been too frustrated yet. Having said that, I just failed a mission I was pretty close to finishing, due to bad luck/timing. And since I lost my last life, I get to do that mission over again. Sigh...
Black Lives Matter

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

JCC wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:58 pm I got this today as well. I have done the first 3 missions. I had one lockup in the first mission - which showcases the problem with this game. You can't save. No save slots, no quicksaves. This is a HORRIBLE idea. Even if they just gave you one save slot. But really they should just let you save exactly as much as you want - like ALL of their other games. Basically, your game is saved at the start of each segment of the day. So, if you have a lockup or lose all 3 of your lives - you get to start all over. For a game where it's built in that you are going to replay the same areas over and over - I do not approve. Both Dishonored games and Prey let you save - damnit this game should too. At least your 3 lives get reset every time you move from one point of the day to the next.
How long does each segment take to play through?

As someone with three kids and very limited gaming time, the fact I'd lose significant progress if I had to jump out would be quite the dealbreaker.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

jztemple2 wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:29 pm
JCC wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:58 pm I got this today as well. I have done the first 3 missions. I had one lockup in the first mission - which showcases the problem with this game. You can't save. No save slots, no quicksaves. This is a HORRIBLE idea. Even if they just gave you one save slot. But really they should just let you save exactly as much as you want - like ALL of their other games. Basically, your game is saved at the start of each segment of the day. So, if you have a lockup or lose all 3 of your lives - you get to start all over. For a game where it's built in that you are going to replay the same areas over and over - I do not approve.
As JCC said in his reply, having a manual save kind of breaks the three lives thing so I can see why they wouldn't want to do that. No individual run is really that important that it matter if you have to abandon one or three, though if you have a minute, you can run back to base to end the sequence, unless you are invaded and locked out, anyway.
Skinypupy wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:55 pm How long does each segment take to play through?

As someone with three kids and very limited gaming time, the fact I'd lose significant progress if I had to jump out would be quite the dealbreaker.
It varies widely depending primarily on the objectives you are trying to accomplish and your approach. I've completed some in 5-6 minutes and had others go on for close to 40 minutes when I was trying to be stealthy and trying to locate something with a fairly vague clue.

I finally turned off invasions this morning. I got invaded 3 runs out of 4 and it was getting annoying. I thought about setting it to friends only but I have a couple hundred friends on steam and I don't want to hate them too. :D
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
JCC

Post by JCC »

Yeah the invasion thing defaulting to on is dumb. I never got invaded but disabled it last night when I realized it was on.

My mission/day section playthroughs are generally much longer unless I die 3 times fairly quickly. Also, you eventually get to choose the where/when combo for the areas during each loop - so there is variation in what you will face when you return to certain areas.
Black Lives Matter

Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Now this is what I was hoping for in next gen games:

Black Lives Matter
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:18 pm Now this is what I was hoping for in next gen games:

That doesn't look like mayonnaise.
Daehawk wrote:Thats Drazzil's chair damnit.
JCC

Post by JCC »

So, I am finding some of these mechanics to be a bit frustrating. Every failure comes with some progress (information in your journal if nothing else). But, that doesn't remove the frustration of having played a level for 1-2 hours, only to know you have to try again later. I want to love this game, but it's more of a love/irritation thing right now. I really am just trying to get one assassination in so I can get some of the powers. I know that getting those powers will make things easier, but I still have to be able to pull off an assassination with not quite zero powers first.
Black Lives Matter

JCC

Post by JCC »

So, I finally managed to assassinate a target and get a new ability. Except, I still haven't succeeded in finishing the mission that actually lets you KEEP the abilities when the day is over. (Completely forgot about that.) So, I think I only will have the power for one more mission before it gets reset. Well, my fault for not remembering to go back and try that other mission again.

I will say, the lack of being able to save mid-segment may eventually kill this game for me. As I said before, I think all games should let me save when and where I want. But, failing that something I really wish Arkane would patch in is the ability to save and quit - even if it's just a single save and then when I resume that save is gone. Just let me quit the damn game when I want to and not have to decide between staying up too late vs losing an hour's progress in a mission where I have no idea how much longer it's going to take me to finish it.
Black Lives Matter

malchior

Post by malchior »

I get wanting to save mid-mission but it isn't a big deal to me. For example, I had to take an important phone call yesterday and just quit out. I picked up later back at the beginning of the segment. I personally can't assign too much import to any individual loop segment. I died three times after I got a new power and just slapped my forehead. Guess I'll try again "tomorrow".

The hardest part there for me is remembering what I wanted to try to accomplish in any mission. And that surfaces what is unique about this game. It has a lot of neat possibilities. The loop changes as you move through the day. It is a puzzle/metrovania/shooter with discrete self-directed missions. At least that is how I'm categorizing this in my mind and explains what I'm beginning to love about the game. The loop allows you to pick and choose targets about what to acquire, what to explore, etc. and gives you unlimited time (especially after turning off the co-op invasions which have been frankly tedious - the AI is somewhat predictable at least).

On another front, the game is pretty responsive despite the reqs. My main PC blew up on Monday night. I got up in the morning to try out Death Loop and it is dead Jim. After a bunch of troubleshooting I got a new motherboard last night to only find out my boot SSD got fried in the same event. All while off through a brand new APC UPS. I have especially rotten luck. Anyway, the point here is that I'm playing it on my gaming laptop with a 2070 in it and its actually pretty and runs well on that. Once I fix up the other computer I will have the spec to run 4K/60 fps (pending the SSD replacement), OS and apps reinstall, and I'll check back in when I can experience it with all the bells and whistles on.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I'm taken aback by JCC's comment on playing a level for 1-2 hours. I am curious how you are spending so much time on any of the levels at that point in the game. Even more so, I will encourage you to stop that! There's hardly a point in that kind of exploration before you get Infusion. Hell, there's hardly a point after.

I'm a good bit into the mid-game. I've probably killed visionaries 20+ times. Some 3-4 times and one zero times. I have all purple weapons with a mix of purple and blue trinkets. On the powers, I pretty much only use shift, though I think I would use Nexus if I ever remembered I have it. :P

One kind of annoying discovery that is good to know if you haven't figured it out yet. Infused stuff only stays with you to the next day if you actually brought it back to base at the end of the day. If you go out with three infused weapons with trinkets and swap one out, that one you left behind is gone along with any equipped trinkets. I guess I am glad I learned it as early as I did. Now I generally go out with two weapons equipped so I have room to bring back something new.

Oh and I crash about once an hour, generally in the loadout screen in between excursions.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
JCC

Post by JCC »

coopasonic wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:43 am I'm taken aback by JCC's comment on playing a level for 1-2 hours. I am curious how you are spending so much time on any of the levels at that point in the game. Even more so, I will encourage you to stop that! There's hardly a point in that kind of exploration before you get Infusion. Hell, there's hardly a point after.
Shrugs. I am playing as stealthily as possible since I feel way too underpowered to run and gun. So that means I am crouch walking through the levels. I am trying to explore lots of stuff, so it takes me a while. I have a hard enough time staying alive being careful, I wouldn't finish any missions if I tried to run and gun at this point.

It also wouldn't break my heart if they patched in adjustable difficulty levels.
Black Lives Matter

coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

One not obvious trick, when hacking a camera or turret, you can pop out of cover to start the hack and then back into cover keeping the button/key pressed and it will finish even though you broke LOS.

The other thing is the enemies, other than Julianna, don't really chase you very far so you can play hit and run. Initially I did a lot of manual takedowns. There are a couple of boss weapons that are suppressed, plus the nail gun which is silent, so you have those options for keeping quiet as well. I also tend to stay to the roofs and look for window entry when I can.

I agree that difficulty levels would be good. I think the difficulty level they have is good, I do die at times but it is generally when I really messed up and triggered a trap or dropped in where I really shouldn't have.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
malchior

Post by malchior »

coopasonic wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:43 amOh and I crash about once an hour, generally in the loadout screen in between excursions.
Same here on a fresh install of Windows. I actually have a repeatable crash. I can load, try to add a trinket to a weapon, and crash the game. Needs a little patching but still hasn't distracted too much.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Just finished the game, Steam says 21 hours, but there were a few where I left the game running while I had to work to keep my progress. I liked the main character, but wasn't particularly impressed by the story. To be fair there is a lot of reading and after a while I stopped reading every note and just read the little synopsis in the corner.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
JCC

Post by JCC »

I have played 16 hours and I have infused 2 additional powers (besides the one you get for free early). I killed 2 targets on my recent day, and one on another day. I will get far more than 21 hours out of it unless something makes me rage quit (which I doubt). I still wish I could have a save/resume. Frustrating, when I have an interruption and need to quit right away. Lose an hour or more of gameplay. GAMER UNFRIENDLY~!
Black Lives Matter

Hrothgar

Post by Hrothgar »

I wonder if the focus on the PS5 is a factor in that. Since the PS5 can easily suspend the game, go in to sleep mode and resume on waking, there's little reason for a save on quitting.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

JCC wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 3:09 pm I have played 16 hours and I have infused 2 additional powers (besides the one you get for free early). I killed 2 targets on my recent day, and one on another day. I will get far more than 21 hours out of it unless something makes me rage quit (which I doubt). I still wish I could have a save/resume. Frustrating, when I have an interruption and need to quit right away. Lose an hour or more of gameplay. GAMER UNFRIENDLY~!
You can just esc and leave it running. I did that a couple times.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
JCC

Post by JCC »

So, I have made progress. Upgraded my favorite powers once (teleport and invisibility) and acquired a couple others. I actually when acquiring one of the powers (nexus) which I had done before but before I got the infusion ability, played it run and gun and found it pretty easy through that particular mission.

I like Deathloop. It's a clever game, and the story is cool. I love the banter between Colt and Julianna, but its game mechanics really interfere with me loving it like Dishonored. In addition to what I have ranted on earlier, it really, really REALLY pisses me off we can only equip 2 powers at once per mission. I so grealy prefer the 2 I noted above, I will never use any of the others - unless required for a particular assassination. Why would they restrict it like this?! I am also already getting sick of running through the same 4 areas over and over - even with the differences in them based on the time of day.

I think Deathloop is a cool idea and story, but these core mechanics reduce it greatly for me. I'd prefer Dishonored 3 greatly.
Black Lives Matter

gbasden

Post by gbasden »

It's interesting how we all enjoy different aspects of games. I was actually excited because it wasn't Dishonored 3. I disliked the "you have to play non-lethal to get the good ending" aspect (although the chaos mechanic made sense) just because it made the gameplay so similar. Why does the game give me a dozen super cool lethal weapons and powers, but I have like two non-lethal alternatives. I probably feel about it the way you feel about Deathloop - it's a good game, but the design choices don't align exactly with how I want to play.
JCC

Post by JCC »

gbasden wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:23 pm It's interesting how we all enjoy different aspects of games. I was actually excited because it wasn't Dishonored 3. I disliked the "you have to play non-lethal to get the good ending" aspect (although the chaos mechanic made sense) just because it made the gameplay so similar. Why does the game give me a dozen super cool lethal weapons and powers, but I have like two non-lethal alternatives.
I love the Dishonored games, but I completely agree with you on the non-lethal good, lethal bad thing with them. One thing I do like about Deathloop is there is no hint of a moral dilemma. Everyone is bad.

However, while Dishonored put restrictions on how the plot ended, I feel like this game puts arbitrary restrictions/repititions on the mechanics. I just hate having the 2 power restriction. And, I would rather have more missions then playing through the same 4 areas over and over. There is already so much baked in replaying of the levels, but to upgrade the powers you literally have to play through the exact same level and time of day to reacquire the same power.
Black Lives Matter