[Disney+] Hawkeye

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Blackhawk

Re: [Disney+] Hawkeye - 11/24/21

Post by Blackhawk »

It's not like Yondu's not still known for his skill with an arrow...
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

The final episode is excellent.
malchior

Post by malchior »

AWS260 wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 12:17 pm The final episode is excellent.
Yup - I really enjoyed this series. One of my favorite little style things that I couldn't help but giggle at was that everyone "greets" her by yelling some variant of 'Kate Bishop'.
disarm

Post by disarm »

Really great show! I enjoyed it from start to finish, especially the fact that it had a serious story, but still had a good bit of humor to keep it from getting too heavy. Hopefully they'll keep a few of the characters around. Further adventures of Kate and Yelena could be awesome.
Daveman

Post by Daveman »

I thought that:
Spoiler:
Kingpin ripping off the car door was a wonderful nod to Daredevil. I guess using the door to decapitate someone would be too much for Disney+ though.

We really enjoyed the show and hope there's more to come.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Love the show, probably laughed more at this than any other Marvel movie/show. Though it had it's heavy/serious moments, it was pretty lighthearted. Hailee Steinfield was great as the overly excitable hero worshipping Kate Bishop, while Renner was excellent as the war weary and put upon Hawkeye. It was cool to see their relationship grow throughout the show. Here's hoping there's a season 2!
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
naednek

Post by naednek »

Ethan and I finished it yesterday. I felt the few episodes were a little slow at first, but got fun after that. Loved the banter between Kate and Yelena
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Good review here:

Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
stessier

Post by stessier »

Finished it tonight and enjoyed it. The after credit scene at the end of the final episode was quite amusing. How they got through that without breaking is beyond me.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

I loved the whole series, start to finish. I have mixed feelings about the reveal with the watch and Laura at the end though.
Spoiler:
On one hand, I love Linda Cardellini and if they can bring her back as Mockingbird, that would be terrific. But on the other, I also really liked Adreienne Palicki as Bobbi Morse in Agents of SHIELD. So. Here I sit. Conflicted.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
disarm

Post by disarm »

hentzau wrote:I loved the whole series, start to finish. I have mixed feelings about the reveal with the watch and Laura at the end though.
Spoiler:
On one hand, I love Linda Cardellini and if they can bring her back as Mockingbird, that would be terrific. But on the other, I also really liked Adreienne Palicki as Bobbi Morse in Agents of SHIELD. So. Here I sit. Conflicted.
Spoiler:
There's is pretty much zero chance of Bobbi from AOS ever showings up in the MCU, so probably best to just accept the future set up by Hawkeye. Disney has made it pretty clear at this point that AoS lies outside the MCU continuity and will never be part of that canon. I agree that she was a good character though.
Daveman

Post by Daveman »

disarm wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 8:59 am
hentzau wrote:I loved the whole series, start to finish. I have mixed feelings about the reveal with the watch and Laura at the end though.
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
There's is pretty much zero chance of Bobbi from AOS ever showings up in the MCU, so probably best to just accept the future set up by Hawkeye. Disney has made it pretty clear at this point that AoS lies outside the MCU continuity and will never be part of that canon. I agree that she was a good character though.
I thought...
Spoiler:
part of Hawkeye's charm was that he's an Avenger who has a farm, wife and kids, etc. That his wife was "in the business" takes away from that just a little to me. Bearing in mind the movies and TV are all I know about Marvel.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Daveman wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 10:07 am
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
I thought...
Spoiler:
part of Hawkeye's charm was that he's an Avenger who has a farm, wife and kids, etc. That his wife was "in the business" takes away from that just a little to me. Bearing in mind the movies and TV are all I know about Marvel.
Spoiler:
And I’m in the opposite camp since it provides a good explanation of why she’s so understanding of his agent lifestyle and forgiving of his murderous ways as Ronan. Was a nice reveal to me :) Glad she wasn’t a shape shifting Skrull…well as far as we know :wink:
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Hamlet3145

Post by Hamlet3145 »

$iljanus wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 11:46 am
Daveman wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 10:07 am
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
I thought...
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
And I’m in the opposite camp since it provides a good explanation of why she’s so understanding of his agent lifestyle and forgiving of his murderous ways as Ronan. Was a nice reveal to me :) Glad she wasn’t a shape shifting Skrull…well as far as we know :wink:
Probably the easiest solution would just be to have
Spoiler:
Agents of Shield officially be in another, but very similar, universe. The multi-verse is certainly cannon now anyways.
Sudy

Re: [Disney+] Hawkeye

Post by Sudy »

I was really enjoying it until the final episode. I still think the earlier episodes were great, but I'm digesting whether everything adds up. The set pieces were definitely fantastic.
Spoiler:
I just kind of felt like it turned into a Home Alone movie. D'Onofrio's Kingpin was a caricature of his Daredevil version. Obviously, he was only there for one episode. But as I always thought the Netflix series were too long, some of the Disney ones could stand 2-4 more episodes I think. I realize now that it was setting up the spinoff, but Maya's resolution felt like a wimp-out after her awesome introduction and background. The tracksuit mafia had no teeth whatsoever at the end. I don't need things gritty, but it didn't feel like nearly as much was on the line as at the start of the series. Maybe I'm just having a hard time accepting this is a family series about families. What they did with Yelena was fine but I felt like she was played for too many laughs.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I enjoyed the show. I still think that Wandavision is the best so far of the Marvel TV shows, but this was also pleasant and enjoyable (also nice that it wasn't too weighty / serious).

My main criticism is that I think it would've been better if either it was a couple episodes longer or they would have cut out a couple characters. In some ways that's one issue I have with shows in cinematic universes - feels like they invariable wind up needing to spend an episode or two of valuable screen time on otherwise minor characters in order to set up their inevitable show. Like Maya / Echo is a fine character, and I love Yelena / Florence Pugh, but having their storylines mixed in with the Hawkeye / Kate Bishop stuff meant that a lot of potentially great stuff got short shrift. Like Maya went pretty quick from her lifetime vendetta against Ronin / Hawkeye to semi-trusting him and turning on her team. And with Yelena I thought we could've used a little more setup on why she blames Hawkeye enough to want to kill him, but then is persuaded to back off after a 5 minute conversation.
Black Lives Matter.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

This was probably my favorite. The dialogue between the characters was so well written. The combination of action and humor was perfect.
Black Lives Matter
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

El Guapo wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 3:39 pm I enjoyed the show. I still think that Wandavision is the best so far of the Marvel TV shows, but this was also pleasant and enjoyable (also nice that it wasn't too weighty / serious).

My main criticism is that I think it would've been better if either it was a couple episodes longer or they would have cut out a couple characters. In some ways that's one issue I have with shows in cinematic universes - feels like they invariable wind up needing to spend an episode or two of valuable screen time on otherwise minor characters in order to set up their inevitable show. Like Maya / Echo is a fine character, and I love Yelena / Florence Pugh, but having their storylines mixed in with the Hawkeye / Kate Bishop stuff meant that a lot of potentially great stuff got short shrift. Like Maya went pretty quick from her lifetime vendetta against Ronin / Hawkeye to semi-trusting him and turning on her team. And with Yelena I thought we could've used a little more setup on why she blames Hawkeye enough to want to kill him, but then is persuaded to back off after a 5 minute conversation.
I agree on all points but my wife and I still enjoyed it immensely. I think that your points, while totally valid, are fairly minor. We absolutely could have used more time with Maya and Yelena's characters as well as working out why they changed their minds. Though I do think Yelena's conflict would only be resolved when she was at the brink of killing Hawkeye. I feel they established pretty well that she wasn't just there for the money and once she was confronted with actually killing someone her sister loved (who was also very apologetic about her death) she decided not to go through with it. Great show but certainly some valid minor issues.
That sound of the spoon scraping over the can ribbing as you corral the last ravioli or two is the signal that a great treat is coming. It's the washboard solo in God's own
bluegrass band of comfort food. - LawBeefaroni
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

EvilHomer3k wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 8:21 pm
El Guapo wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 3:39 pm I enjoyed the show. I still think that Wandavision is the best so far of the Marvel TV shows, but this was also pleasant and enjoyable (also nice that it wasn't too weighty / serious).

I agree on all points but my wife and I still enjoyed it immensely. I think that your points, while totally valid, are fairly minor. We absolutely could have used more time with Maya and Yelena's characters as well as working out why they changed their minds. Though I do think Yelena's conflict would only be resolved when she was at the brink of killing Hawkeye. I feel they established pretty well that she wasn't just there for the money and once she was confronted with actually killing someone her sister loved (who was also very apologetic about her death) she decided not to go through with it. Great show but certainly some valid minor issues.
Yeah they are minor issues. Also the show perfectly fit what I was looking for in terms of being a well written funny lighthearted show that didn't take itself overly seriously. I wouldn't put in the top tier of "great" TV shows, it was very good.
Black Lives Matter.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Got a new hoodie for Christmas.

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Nice, bro.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

LOL! I watched this with my 11YO and we both cracked up every time one of those trucks came into the scene (which was a LOT). :D
JCC

Post by JCC »

Watched this in its entirety last night. Really enjoyed it.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor