Two Factor: Would you like to update your password?

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Hrothgar

Two Factor: Would you like to update your password?

Post by Hrothgar »

Am I missing something? I've been told over and over again that I must use two factor id to keep my accounts safe. So why do none of my browsers recognize a code entry as a form of 2 factor? They all ask if I want to update my password.
Victoria Raverna

Re: Two Factor: Would you like to update your password?

Post by Victoria Raverna »

That is because the password store function on those browsers were designed to store password before the two factor authentication became popular. It can't know if you're entering a password or a two factor verification code because they look the same to the browsers.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Victoria Raverna wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:44 am That is because the password store function on those browsers were designed to store password before the two factor authentication became popular. It can't know if you're entering a password or a two factor verification code because they look the same to the browsers.
And the web guy didn't put in enough hidden markers to explain this is a 2-factor input, not a password.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Hrothgar

Post by Hrothgar »

That's sort of my point. Haven't we had enough time since the rise of two factor to update browsers, API's and HTML to have standards that delineate password from two factor? Is this much harder than I think?