The Case of Gabby Petito

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Unagi

The Case of Gabby Petito

Post by Unagi »

I've been reading about this case for a few days now.

Gabby and her fiancée, Brian Laundrie - take off on a road trip out west (starting in NY it seems, but I think they both are out of Florida).

They blog their trip together, but the blog goes silent and eventually Brian returns home to Florida in her vehicle, but without her. He refuses to work with the police, and his family declares that they are going to 'remain in the background on this'.

It's unbelievable and so horrible....

He, at worst, killed her.
He, at best, abandon her in the woods/wild.

'new information': https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/po ... d=msedgntp

Full Utah Body Cam:
Carpet_pissr

Re: The Case of Gabby Petito

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Yeah, I usually don't get into stories like this, but I was also about to post, primarily due to the boyfriend's complete and total lack of cooperation.

A few thoughts:
1. Only tangentially related, but it kind of represents a big reason why I RARELY (almost never these days) use social media, and actively warn my family about its serious "fake reality" downside.
"Awww, lookit the happy couple, they're so cute! They're perfect for each other. They're so HAPPY! Look at all their Instagram and FB posts journaliing their love and happiness. Lookit the pics from the AMAZING road trip!! I wish *I* could do that with a special someone! It's like a fairytale, an impossibly amazing happy dream! My life sucks in comparison to THEIR life of adventure and good times!"

Note that I am acutely aware of the benefits of social media as well, but that particular dark side is pretty damn dark. Specifically the ramifications on a psyche after continuously consuming the "LOOK, EVERYTHING IS PERFECT IN MY WORLD, HOW ABOUT *YOURS*?!" messages that are constantly blasted through the ether.

2. Did you read the boyfriend's lawyer's statement? From everything I've read in the past few years regarding interactions with police (if you could POSSIBLY even be considered a suspect in something), he seems to be doing it by that book, whatever that is. But man, from the outside, and I can't even imagine from the side of the girl's family, it is SUCH an assholish position, whether justified or not. You take all the emotion out of it, and he's probably doing the right thing (for him). But of course it does scream "GUILTY!!" to those that aren't that familiar with the modern justice system. If he was anything other than guilty (I guess there could be a manslaughter situation with a bad accident or something, that would look worse after a fight), I can't imagine why he wouldn't at least be safe saying "I saw her last...HERE" or "we had a fight, or we broke up, and agreed to go separate ways. She was so upset she got in an Uber, or on a bus, or took a train"...etc. But NOTHING? Radio silence? Guilty, right?
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Also to be clear the general advice in these situations is less "never talk to the police" and more "never talk to the police *without counsel*".
Black Lives Matter.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Here'e the statement BTW:

"Many people are wondering why Mr. Laundrie would not make a statement or speak with law enforcement in the face of Ms. Petito's disappearance. In my experience, intimate partners are often the first person law enforcement focuses their attention on in cases like this and the warning that 'any statement made will be used against you' is true, regardless whether my client had anything to do with Ms. Petito's disappearance. As such, on the advice of counsel Mr. Laundrie is not speaking on this matter."
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Me too. I think with him refusing to talk he killed her after she one too many times jumped him. Either on purpose of by accident I think she is dead.

I think of the police had done their job and arrested her when she attacked him in front of them she'd be alive. Ive never once on the real cop shows on tv seen them not arrest an abuser no matter how much they both beg them not to.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Just before her disappearance the cops stopped them. It appear thy were having a major disagreement and she was the aggressor. So much so the cops were going to take her in but the guy said no.
The guy is still an asshole tho.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

El Guapo wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:25 am Also to be clear the general advice in these situations is less "never talk to the police" and more "never talk to the police *without counsel*".
This seems diffferent though. BF drives their van back to FL without her and says NOTHING at all re: where he last saw her, etc. To me it telegraphs that it's bad (she's dead), he knows, and probably his lawyer knows it. Otherwise at LEAST you would get "I can't say more than this on advice of counsel, but the last time I saw her, she was HERE" He's the only person at this point, that knows her possible whereabout (or her body), and is refusing to reveal that information. I mean, let the lawyer craft a VERY safe, neutral statement at least (regarding "last seen"), but damn, absolute silence is pretty damning.

BF is guilty, knows where she or her body is: At least pretend you aren't guilty by showing the slightest concern for her current whereabouts?
BF is not guilty, doesn't know what happened: "I have NO idea where she is or her status because we split up at X lcoation, or after X date, have not heard from her since"
BF is not guilty or manslaughter situation, knows what happened: radio silence?
A nonny mouse

Post by A nonny mouse »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:41 am
El Guapo wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:25 am Also to be clear the general advice in these situations is less "never talk to the police" and more "never talk to the police *without counsel*".
This seems diffferent though. BF drives their van back to FL without her and says NOTHING at all re: where he last saw her, etc. To me it telegraphs that it's bad (she's dead), he knows, and probably his lawyer knows it. Otherwise at LEAST you would get "I can't say more than this on advice of counsel, but the last time I saw her, she was HERE" He's the only person at this point, that knows her possible whereabout (or her body), and is refusing to reveal that information. I mean, let the lawyer craft a VERY safe, neutral statement at least (regarding "last seen"), but damn, absolute silence is pretty damning.

BF is guilty, knows where she or her body is: At least pretend you aren't guilty by showing the slightest concern for her current whereabouts?
BF is not guilty, doesn't know what happened: "I have NO idea where she is or her status because we split up at X lcoation, or after X date, have not heard from her since"
BF is not guilty or manslaughter situation, knows what happened: radio silence?
Not a lawyer, but when someone pleads the 5th, it screams guilty as hell. If you have not done anything, why would saying anything implicate you?

Also, but not giving the family any information, that makes you a major Asshole. Lord, I can't imaging the not knowing.
I find television very educational. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book. - Groucho Marx
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

A nonny mouse wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:50 pm

Not a lawyer, but when someone pleads the 5th, it screams guilty as hell. If you have not done anything, why would saying anything implicate you?

There are plenty of good reasons to shut up even if you're not guilty of a crime.

But when you have full benefit of counsel and still not cooperating in the murder investigation of your fiance? Red-flag city.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:33 pm

There are plenty of good reasons to shut up even if you're not guilty of a crime.

But when you have full benefit of counsel and still not cooperating in the murder investigation of your fiance? Red-flag city.
Yeah, I guess that's what really feels off to me - STFU is the smart move probably no matter the situation (again, when you have even a remote possibility of being named). But I guess the sense I always had was that was what you do UNTIL your lawyer is there.

I hate seeing families going through denial constantly referring to the victim in these cases as "missing", and earnestly wanting to look for her as if she's just wandering around the desert, lost, or got a wild hair and drove to Mexico. :cry: I'm sure they know, subconsciously, that she's not "lost". I guess it's human nature to be loathe and slow to admit that something truly horrible has happened, either to us, or to a loved one (especially a child, God).

Are there any legal ramifications if a lawyer agrees to take a case like this (for the BF), knows details (let's say whereabouts of a body or even the living, missing person), but refuses to say anything? I would think that IF they (BF and lawyer) know whereabouts, or knew whereabouts when she went missing, failed to say something, and THEN she actually was harmed or killed after that point?
Little Raven

Post by Little Raven »

I can't imagine anything this guy could say that doesn't massively increase his chances of being charged.

Mostly because he's either an X-Files case come to life or he totally killed her.
/. "She climbed backwards out her
\/ window into Outside Over There."
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

On the radio this morning, I heard a news item on this that seemed to indicate police are stating they’re looking into this in relation to a murder case elsewhere too. Keeps getting stranger and stranger if true.
Last edited by hepcat on Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
He won. Period.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

I just finished watching the entire bodycam video. This is such a weird view into their life, and both of their personalities - as Brian doesn't seem "the type", like at all...

I just can't figure out why he wouldn't be in a position (with counsel) to share anything if he wasn't guilty. Anything I try and come up with that is generous to him, still ends with me saying "but why wouldn't he have reported that to someone, and still remain silent now?" I believe I had read before that her cellphone last sent a text from California, saying that they couldn't get a cell-signal while in Yosemite... but the mother said the message seemed to not be from Gabby at all.

What's also weird is that you would think, after this traffic stop, if something did happen between them where he killed her, he would be able to turn to this traffic stop and say that she attacked him, etc... Not that people think about these things in that manner, but it just strikes me how easily he could have explained an accident or moment of self-defense. Still.... "but why wouldn't he have reported that to someone...."

Bleh.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Incoming cable TV movie, with Mark Walberg if he's innocent, and Tom Cruise if guilty. And if it's Cruise, J. K. Simmons will play his lawyer.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
A nonny mouse

Post by A nonny mouse »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:33 pm

Yes, i get that, but in this case it is a red flag. The whole thing is pretty F-ed up.

I plead the fif
I find television very educational. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book. - Groucho Marx
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

hepcat wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:55 pm Oh he radio this morning, I heard a news item on this that seemed to indicate police are stating they’re looking into this in relation to a murder case elsewhere too. Keeps getting stranger and stranger if true.
I wonder if anything will become of that connection...

Apparently (this guy breaks it down) there was a double homicide near Moab, that was committed sometime between the day of the Utah traffic stop, and 6 days later when the 2 bodies were found.
The pair had written friends while camping that a 'creepy man' was bothering them and they were going to change campsites.... they were found dead, with gunshot wounds.

Seems like an odd connection.
1. Could Brian be the creepy man? (seems unlikely to me) Yeah, they were in the area, but as a couple... Now just after the 'time window' of the double murder, Brian flew back to Florida for a few days to do the weird storage-unit part of the story. The idea that Brian might have murdered 2 people, flew home, then came back, where he spent time again with Gabby seems like a really odd addition to this story... So, again, it seems unlikely they are thinking Brian is the 'creepy man' involved in the double-murder.
2. Do they think the weird man also bumped into Gabby and Brian and maybe followed the couple and then... who knows what may have happened? That seems like it could have happened, as they were likely camping in the same area, over the same period.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Unagi wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:58 am I've been reading about this case for a few days now.

Gabby and her fiancée, Brian Laundrie - take off on a road trip out west (starting in NY it seems, but I think they both are out of Florida).

They blog their trip together, but the blog goes silent and eventually Brian returns home to Florida in her vehicle, but without her. He refuses to work with the police, and his family declares that they are going to 'remain in the background on this'.

It's unbelievable and so horrible....

He, at worst, killed her.
He, at best, abandon her in the woods/wild.

'new information': https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/po ... d=msedgntp

Full Utah Body Cam:
Gabby and BF got into an altercation, he kiled her in self defense, then the other couple nearby hearing the knock down drag out fight came in and witnessed the last of it. BF panics and murders both of them as well. That's why he is silent. Not because he's afraid of getting charged for the self defense, but because he's afraid of getting charged with panicking and killing two OTHER people, or the couple could have misread the whole thing, coming in on GF's side and attacked him. and he could have done them in that way.

One case of self defense's pretty darn hard to prove but three? Impossible. That's why he's all STFU.
Daehawk wrote:Thats Drazzil's chair damnit.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Modok farmer: "How's my daughter?"
Chosen One: "She was alive when I last saw her but I'm *sure* she's dead by now."

:lol:
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Unagi wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 5:58 pm
hepcat wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:55 pm Oh he radio this morning, I heard a news item on this that seemed to indicate police are stating they’re looking into this in relation to a murder case elsewhere too. Keeps getting stranger and stranger if true.
I wonder if anything will become of that connection...

Apparently (this guy breaks it down) there was a double homicide near Moab, that was committed sometime between the day of the Utah traffic stop, and 6 days later when the 2 bodies were found.
The pair had written friends while camping that a 'creepy man' was bothering them and they were going to change campsites.... they were found dead, with gunshot wounds.

Seems like an odd connection.
1. Could Brian be the creepy man? (seems unlikely to me) Yeah, they were in the area, but as a couple... Now just after the 'time window' of the double murder, Brian flew back to Florida for a few days to do the weird storage-unit part of the story. The idea that Brian might have murdered 2 people, flew home, then came back, where he spent time again with Gabby seems like a really odd addition to this story... So, again, it seems unlikely they are thinking Brian is the 'creepy man' involved in the double-murder.
2. Do they think the weird man also bumped into Gabby and Brian and maybe followed the couple and then... who knows what may have happened? That seems like it could have happened, as they were likely camping in the same area, over the same period.
Or yaknow, He might have murdered the first two for sport or pay, removed their bodies in the store center then figured "I might as well kill my psycho bitch GF while I'm at it... Three is just one away from two and murder is murder. In for a penny sort of situation.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

He hardly strikes me as Jason Bourne.

My guess is they just want to see if he and Gabby encountered anyone strange in that area or something.

That doesn’t mean he’s innocent of any wrongdoing in her disappearance, mind you. But lawyering up may just be something he sees as necessary when dealing with police that may have a history of rushing to close cases instead of actually investigating.
Drazzil wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:47 pm Modok farmer: "How's my daughter?"
Chosen One: "She was alive when I last saw her but I'm *sure* she's dead by now."

:lol:
:?
He won. Period.
WYBaugh

Post by WYBaugh »

Just read that the Utah murder is not connected.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Apparently he's fled.

NORTH PORT, Fla. - According to the Laundrie family attorney, the FBI is currently searching for both Brian Laundrie and Gabby Petito. Police confirmed Friday night that Brian appears to have been missing since Tuesday.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

The parents are going to be tried as accessories in some way, I imagine.
He won. Period.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Why did the idiot come home? What did he think was going to happen?
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

He may have gone somewhere and committed suicide.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Or he might have gone to Mexico or South America, learned Spanish and bought fake papers in a country without extradition.
Little Raven

Post by Little Raven »

hepcat wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:38 pm The parents are going to be tried as accessories in some way, I imagine.
Dubious, unless something truly fantastically damning comes forth.
/. "She climbed backwards out her
\/ window into Outside Over There."
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

dbt1949 wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:05 am Why did the idiot come home?
Yeah, that’s also a mystery to me. Ppl do weird and stupid shit when they’re in freak-out mode though.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

By this time, because of his actions, everybody in the world except maybe his parents , thinks he's killed this woman.
He's about as stupid as they come.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

hepcat wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:38 pm The parents are going to be tried as accessories in some way, I imagine.
yeah... I mean, no no - they are just going to "stay in the background" on this.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Grifman wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:06 am He may have gone somewhere and committed suicide.
Certainly the first thing I thought of too.

And horribly unthoughtful to Gibby's parents if he did. Here this young man is the only one sitting on some truth about their daughter, and he just refuses to given them any tiny morsel of peace.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Drazzil wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:50 pm Or yaknow, He might have murdered the first two for sport or pay, removed their bodies in the store center then figured "I might as well kill my psycho bitch GF while I'm at it... Three is just one away from two and murder is murder. In for a penny sort of situation.
You are the human incarnation of depraved. Honestly. Do you have an ounce of consideration of mental health, as you should, and sympathy for - oh, just for example, his "psycho bitch GF" ?

wtf.

Has it already been a week?
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Drazzil. Get an avatar. It'll make it easier to recognize your posts before I read them and find myself wondering when OO turned into 4Chan.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Drazzil wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:14 am Or he might have gone to Mexico or South America, learned Spanish and bought fake peppers in a country without extradition.
ftfy
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Unagi wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:30 am
Drazzil wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:50 pm Or yaknow, He might have murdered the first two for sport or pay, removed their bodies in the store center then figured "I might as well kill my psycho bitch GF while I'm at it... Three is just one away from two and murder is murder. In for a penny sort of situation.
You are the human incarnation of depraved. Honestly. Do you have an ounce of consideration of mental health, as you should, and sympathy for - oh, just for example, his "psycho bitch GF" ?

wtf.

Mindset dude. Totally posted like I imagine like a triple murderer might think. I apologize if it came off like something I was advocating.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Unagi wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:30 am

wtf.

Also I didn't fix the quotation mark so that I made it clear that that's what he might be thinking. Again. Not advocating for this sort of thing, just positing a theory.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Seriously guys I really apologizing for coming off like a psycho murderer. I really *takes deep breath* love you guys for the patience you've shown here. If I upset anyone I again apologize. It wasn't my intent.

Also that other quote was from fallout 2. When the PC's wife was divorced in New Reno
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Well this went bizarre quickly.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Hey what's going on in this thr-

nope.